Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:50 am Wife and kid both got their first jabs this week. I’m still waiting for mine as I was unable to go sit in line for four hours like they did. Locally at one location they are doing first come first served. Running out of doses quickly though.

At work we are supposed to be getting quite a few, plus I’m on the list for the regional hospital system. Fingers crossed either one happens soon.
My wife got her second shot yesterday. My mom is scheduled for her second tomorrow. Since those are the two highest-risk people I have contact with, I’m hoping I can start getting less stressed about public contact in a couple weeks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

1 out of every 400 in New Jersey now dead of COVID.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I get my first jab Thursday. At Walmart! God I love murica.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:38 am I get my first jab Thursday. At Walmart! God I love murica.
Excellent.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great bobp.

My wife just came downstairs bawling. They've started setting aside blocks of appointments and directly contacting seniors in town via phone to schedule vaccinations. She had just called a 97-year-old man, who lives with his 95-year-old wife who is legally blind, and he declined the vaccine for both of them because they want them to go to someone else who needs it more. He said he only goes to the supermarket and has a stockpile of N95s. He wouldn't budge. She begged him to call back if they ever changed their minds and told him they would get them scheduled ASAP.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My 71-year-old mother with heart and lung issues still can't get scheduled for her vaccine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am My 71-year-old mother with heart and lung issues still can't get scheduled for her vaccine.
Michigan?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am
brian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 am My 71-year-old mother with heart and lung issues still can't get scheduled for her vaccine.
Michigan?
Yeah, Calhoun County doesn't really seem to have it on the ball.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My 85 year old father can’t get one because New Mexico ran out. My mother got one but not the second.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 ama 97-year-old man, who lives with his 95-year-old wife who is legally blind, and he declined the vaccine for both of them because they want them to go to someone else who needs it more. He said he only goes to the supermarket and has a stockpile of N95s. He wouldn't budge.
That is what I want to be when I grow up.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My parents were able to get first round today. My father had an appointment, my mother went with him. They made her wait outside and she didn't have a car key, so a worker took pity on her and said they were at the end of the day and slow, so they gave her one. She was scheduled at the same site for Friday, so not a big deal, but certainly more convenient.

Not feeling as optimistic about my friend's mother. Nurses are texting updates. They say she is the sweetest patient they have ever treated, and she is more concerned with the nurses' well being than her own (so I know it's a real report). It was sounding better, but now they need another round of Regeneron and assigned her a breathing therapist. She can't take a phone call because she gets winded and can't take off the oxygen mask. My friend's sister is passing along the updates to my mother, and is really optimistic, but I'm not feeling good about this. Really hoping it turns around.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm My parents were able to get first round today. My father had an appointment, my mother went with him. They made her wait outside and she didn't have a car key, so a worker took pity on her and said they were at the end of the day and slow, so they gave her one. She was scheduled at the same site for Friday, so not a big deal, but certainly more convenient.

Not feeling as optimistic about my friend's mother. Nurses are texting updates. They say she is the sweetest patient they have ever treated, and she is more concerned with the nurses' well being than her own (so I know it's a real report). It was sounding better, but now they need another round of Regeneron and assigned her a breathing therapist. She can't take a phone call because she gets winded and can't take off the oxygen mask. My friend's sister is passing along the updates to my mother, and is really optimistic, but I'm not feeling good about this. Really hoping it turns around.
Here’s hoping, Syb.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

MIL (high risk due to heart conditions) had said she didn't want one. signed at 3 different places. got the first round on saturday.
parents were told by Hopkins even though my father is at high risk due to various conditions, that they should look elsewhere because JHU doesn't have enough. my father will not sign up for the Giant or CVS shots. doesn't trust it, so there's that.
we're on the list in nj - nothing yet.. although know plenty of people around town who already got their first dose.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pmMy parents were able to get first round today. My father had an appointment, my mother went with him. They made her wait outside and she didn't have a car key, so a worker took pity on her and said they were at the end of the day and slow, so they gave her one.
My mom's 1st is 5:45 on Sunday and I used this story to get my dad to try and squeeze in. I'll owe you one (1) beer if it works.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Want good news? Here's a good read:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... st/618041/
One month ago, the CDC published the results of more than 20 pandemic forecasting models. Most projected that COVID-19 cases would continue to grow through February, or at least plateau. Instead, COVID-19 is in retreat in America. New daily cases have plunged, and hospitalizations are down almost 50 percent in the past month. This is not an artifact of infrequent testing, since the share of regional daily tests that are coming back positive has declined even more than the number of cases. Some pandemic statistics are foggy, but the current decline of COVID-19 is crystal clear.

What’s behind the change? Americans’ good behavior in the past month has tag-teamed with (mostly) warming weather across the Northern Hemisphere to slow the pandemic’s growth; at the same time, partial immunity and vaccines have reduced the number of viable bodies that would allow the coronavirus to thrive. But the full story is a bit more complex.

1. Behavior: Maybe Americans finally got the hang of this mask and social-distancing thing.

“If I were ranking explanations for the decline in COVID-19, behavior would be No. 1,” says Ali Mokdad, a global-health professor at the University of Washington, in Seattle. “If you look at mobility data the week after Thanksgiving and Christmas, activity went down.”

Other officials have pointed to Google mobility data to argue that Americans withdrew into their homes after the winter holidays and hunkered down during the subsequent spike in cases that grew out of all that yuletide socializing. New hospital admissions for COVID-19 peaked in the second week of January—another sign that social distancing during the coldest month of the year bent the curve.

Our cautious behavior evidently requires the impetus of a terrifying surge. In the spring, southern and western states thought they had avoided the worst of the early wave, and governors refused to issue mask mandates. Then cases spiked in Texas, Florida, and Arizona, and mask-wearing behavior in the South increased. When cases came down again, people relaxed, cases went up again, and the awful do-si-do continued.

The lesson is not to let today’s good news become tomorrow’s bad news, again. Until much of the population is vaccinated, don’t interpret the decline in cases as a green light to resume your pre-pandemic behavior.

2. Seasonality: The coronavirus was perhaps destined to decline this time of year.

Behavior can’t explain everything. Mask wearing, social distancing, and other virus-mitigating habits vary among states and countries. But COVID-19 is in retreat across North America and Europe. Since January 1, daily cases are down 70 percent in the United Kingdom, 50 percent in Canada, and 30 percent in Portugal.

This raises the possibility that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is seasonal. Last year, a meta-study of coronaviruses such as SARS-CoV-2 found that they typically peak in the Northern Hemisphere during the winter, with the most common peak months being January and February. “The apparent seasonality of human coronaviruses across the globe suggests that this phenomenon might be mined to produce improved understanding of transmission of COVID-19,” the authors concluded.

The notion of seasonality is both obvious and mysterious. We know that many respiratory viruses are less virulent in the summer, accelerate in the closing months of the calendar year, and then recede as the days grow longer after December. But as the Harvard epidemiologist Michael Mina told New York magazine, “We don’t fully appreciate or understand why seasonality works.”

What we call seasonality seems to be a combination of environmental factors and the things people do in response to them. Many viruses fare best in cold and dry conditions; they’re not well designed to thrive in warmer, sunnier, and more humid outdoor areas. Each virus is a bundle of genes and protein encased in a fatty lipid molecule. This fatty shell breaks down more easily in warmer environments. You can see this for yourself when you try washing a smear of butter off your hands with cold water versus warm water.

But seasonality isn’t just “the air” or “the weather,” because the coronavirus doesn’t thrive in the air nor does it live inside the weather. It thrives and multiplies in our bodies, and people do different things with their body when the temperature changes. When the temperature drops, we trade the outdoors, where the virus can struggle to multiply, for the indoors, where we clump together on chairs and couches, making it easier for the virus to pass from one host to another. We close our windows and constrict circulation and ventilation, which give airborne viruses another advantage.

Natural adaptation to cold weather could also make us vulnerable to respiratory viruses such as SARS-CoV-2. Our blood pressure rises during the winter, and our vitamin D levels dip as the days shorten and the sun hangs at a lower angle in the sky. While feeling cold can’t give you a cold, cold and dry air can indeed suppress the local immune response in our nasal passages, which makes us easier targets for, say, an airborne respiratory virus that binds with enzymes commonly found in our noses.

Still, February is pretty cold. In many parts of the country, it’s been colder and drier than it was in late December, and unexpected places are experiencing a cold snap. So trotting out a meta-study of seasonality and saying the decline in cases was simply inevitable won’t satisfy skeptics. Something else may be happening too.

3. Partial immunity: Is the virus running out of bodies?

The coronavirus needs bodies in order to survive and replicate, and it now has access to fewer welcome hosts. Fifteen to 30 percent of American adults have already been infected with COVID-19, according to CDC estimates. Since people recovering from COVID-19 typically develop lasting immunological protection for many months (at least), the number of antibodies swirling around the U.S. population may naturally constrict the original coronavirus’s path forward.

America’s seroprevalence—that is, the number of people with coronavirus antibodies from a previous infection—is not randomly distributed across the country. Instead, immunity is probably concentrated among people who had little opportunity to avoid the disease, such as homeless people, frontline and essential workers, and people living in crowded multigenerational homes. It might also include people who were more likely to encounter the virus because of their lifestyle and values, such as risk-tolerant Americans who have been going to eat at indoor restaurants.

What I’m describing here is not herd immunity. Nothing is herd immunity, really. But it is partial immunity among the very populations that have been most likely to contract the disease, perhaps narrowing the path forward for the original SARS-CoV-2.

The emphasis here is on the word original, because we cannot forget the variants. The virus mutations from South Africa and Brazil in particular may elude the immunological protection among COVID-19 survivors, according to Mokdad. “In studies of seropositive and seronegative people”—that is, people with and without antibodies—“it didn’t seem to make a difference for the South Africa variant; everybody got the new variant equally,” he told me. “So we have to be looking at variants that previous infections are not protecting.”

This fact heightens the importance of accelerating vaccinations before these variants take off in the United States. And, as it happens, vaccinations are the last piece of our explanatory portfolio.

4. Vaccines: The shots work.
COVID-19 cases started falling in January, when almost nobody outside of the health-care industry had been vaccinated. So vaccines probably don’t help us understand why the plunge started. But they can tell us a bit more about why the decline in hospitalizations has accelerated—and why it’s likely to continue.

he vaccines—especially the synthetic-mRNA vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna—are highly effective at preventing infection. But preventing infection is not all they do. Among those infected, they also reduce symptomatic illness. And among those with symptoms, they reduce long-term hospitalization and death to something like zero. A vaccine is not just one line of immunological defense, but several—a high wall protecting a castle and, to fight the few who bypass the wall, a group of castle defenders holding vats of searing-hot tar to pour all over the invaders. (Research indicates that some vaccines, such as AstraZeneca’s, lose their efficacy in the presence of coronavirus variants, but others, such as Pfizer’s, seem to provide potent protection. More research is necessary to say anything certain about how the vaccines protect against serious illness caused by the more contagious new strains.)

A bit of back-of-the-envelope math shows why this period of declining hospitalizations should keep going. Let’s assume the CDC is correct that about 25 percent of adults have COVID-19 antibodies from a previous infection. Let’s add to that number the 10 percent of adults who have received vaccine shots since December, assuming an overlap of 3 percent. That would mean one-third of adults currently have some sort of protection, either from a previous infection or from a vaccine. At our current vaccination pace, we’re adding about 10 million people to this “protected” population every week. We’re accelerating toward a moment, sometime this spring, when half of American adults should have some kind of coronavirus protection. And we should be particularly optimistic about severe illness among older Americans, since the vaccines are disproportionately going to people over 50, who have accounted for 70 percent of all hospitalizations.

That’s a lot of messy arithmetic. But the upshot is simple: Even if the rise of new variants slows the decline in cases, it is unlikely to lead to a sharp rise in mortality and hospitalizations. Although the pandemic isn’t over, we have perhaps reached the beginning of the end of COVID-19 as an exponential, existential, and mortal threat to our health-care system and our senior population.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’m just a regular bullshitter trying to interpret complex data, but it sure looks to me like holiday travel to visit family and friends *at their homes* was by far the worst thing people could have done to spread the virus, and it created a bubble that is going away now that the holidays are over.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:34 pm I’m just a regular bullshitter trying to interpret complex data, but it sure looks to me like holiday travel to visit family and friends *at their homes* was by far the worst thing people could have done to spread the virus, and it created a bubble that is going away now that the holidays are over.
Yes, that combined with the other factors mentioned in that article.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I'm very skeptical about the second point, seasonality. We're still in the dead of winter in a lot of places, including here, yet case counts appear to be dropping all over. Including here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:11 pm I'm very skeptical about the second point, seasonality. We're still in the dead of winter in a lot of places, including here, yet case counts appear to be dropping all over. Including here.
My take from that was in December - February, people tend to stay home more often because of bad weather, so respiratory illnesses tend to reduce from November levels.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:11 pm I'm very skeptical about the second point, seasonality. We're still in the dead of winter in a lot of places, including here, yet case counts appear to be dropping all over. Including here.
My take from that was in December - February, people tend to stay home more often because of bad weather, so respiratory illnesses tend to reduce from November levels.
Yep. As the article kind of states, after the holiday spike, people have really hunkered down.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Yep. As the article kind of states, after the holiday spike, people have really hunkered down.
I was taking that beyond this year as a general annual trend.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hm. I read this to suggest that virus transmission is *more* likely in the winter. Am I reading it wrong?
Many viruses fare best in cold and dry conditions; they’re not well designed to thrive in warmer, sunnier, and more humid outdoor areas. Each virus is a bundle of genes and protein encased in a fatty lipid molecule. This fatty shell breaks down more easily in warmer environments.

When the temperature drops, we trade the outdoors, where the virus can struggle to multiply, for the indoors, where we clump together on chairs and couches, making it easier for the virus to pass from one host to another. We close our windows and constrict circulation and ventilation, which give airborne viruses another advantage.

Natural adaptation to cold weather could also make us vulnerable to respiratory viruses such as SARS-CoV-2. Our blood pressure rises during the winter, and our vitamin D levels dip as the days shorten and the sun hangs at a lower angle in the sky. While feeling cold can’t give you a cold, cold and dry air can indeed suppress the local immune response in our nasal passages, which makes us easier targets for, say, an airborne respiratory virus that binds with enzymes commonly found in our noses.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm Hm. I read this to suggest that virus transmission is *more* likely in the winter. Am I reading it wrong?
Many viruses fare best in cold and dry conditions; they’re not well designed to thrive in warmer, sunnier, and more humid outdoor areas. Each virus is a bundle of genes and protein encased in a fatty lipid molecule. This fatty shell breaks down more easily in warmer environments.

When the temperature drops, we trade the outdoors, where the virus can struggle to multiply, for the indoors, where we clump together on chairs and couches, making it easier for the virus to pass from one host to another. We close our windows and constrict circulation and ventilation, which give airborne viruses another advantage.

I agree with that. I just think people are less sociable and out and about in the Winter than the warmer months. I might be confusing with a different article I read, but I read that October-Dec are worse than February because people are more likely staying home. Maybe it's just a factor of post-holiday travels and family visits.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm surprised that article didn't talk about what was happening with the flu

Is this fake news? It doesn't really support anybody's theory of anything, because the flu was non-existent even when COVID cases were spiking.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:13 pm I'm surprised that article didn't talk about what was happening with the flu

Is this fake news? It doesn't really support anybody's theory of anything, because the flu was non-existent even when COVID cases were spiking.
I mean I know it doesn't support a 99.5% drop but how much more aware is the average American right now about basic hygiene? Washing hands, using sanitizer, etc. That's gotta be a huge chunk in addition to limited social gatherings.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Rex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:13 pm I'm surprised that article didn't talk about what was happening with the flu

I mean I know it doesn't support a 99.5% drop but how much more aware is the average American right now about basic hygiene? Washing hands, using sanitizer, etc. That's gotta be a huge chunk in addition to limited social gatherings.
MASKS.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If anything, it should show just how easily COVID spreads that the procedures put in place to stop COVID have basically stopped the flu in its tracks but COVID still abounds. (Of course, that's not the lesson the people who most need the lesson will take.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:28 pm If anything, it should show just how easily COVID spreads that the procedures put in place to stop COVID have basically stopped the flu in its tracks but COVID still abounds. (Of course, that's not the lesson the people who most need the lesson will take.)
I mean yea if you believe in the MadE UP vIRuS PlaNDEmIc. Sheeple.

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm not sure "easily" is the right word there--the data seems to show that under normal conditions, the flu spreads more easily. Improved hygiene, face covering and closing schools made the flu go away, but not COVID. But it is clearly different. My takeaway is that it shows how COVID really spreads through sustained contact, which would make a holiday sleepover more dangerous than, say, a happy hour, regardless of anyone's hygiene.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:49 pm I'm not sure "easily" is the right word there--the data seems to show that under normal conditions, the flu spreads more easily. Improved hygiene, face covering and closing schools made the flu go away, but not COVID. But it is clearly different. My takeaway is that it shows how COVID really spreads through sustained contact, which would make a holiday sleepover more dangerous than, say, a happy hour, regardless of anyone's hygiene.
The best happy hours end up with a sleepover. Think about it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:28 pm If anything, it should show just how easily COVID spreads that the procedures put in place to stop COVID have basically stopped the flu in its tracks but COVID still abounds. (Of course, that's not the lesson the people who most need the lesson will take.)
This would work backwards too, right? If we'd put these drastic measures in place in December 2019 to try and stall that winter's flu, COVID would have never gotten the foot-hold it did.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:51 pm
Rex wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:49 pm I'm not sure "easily" is the right word there--the data seems to show that under normal conditions, the flu spreads more easily. Improved hygiene, face covering and closing schools made the flu go away, but not COVID. But it is clearly different. My takeaway is that it shows how COVID really spreads through sustained contact, which would make a holiday sleepover more dangerous than, say, a happy hour, regardless of anyone's hygiene.
The best happy hours end up with a sleepover. Think about it.
Nobody has charted COVID against venereal disease, as far as I know.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The other thing I think is interesting is how the summer COVID spike now looks like a pimple:
E668A409-353C-4B15-964B-06CFE1EFCC74.jpeg
E668A409-353C-4B15-964B-06CFE1EFCC74.jpeg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 651 times

We all think that spike was caused by businesses reopening and people acting carelessly, and ended when people started acting more safely, and that’s probably right. If that’s the case, that seems like a pretty good point of comparison as to what kind of impact reopening had, as well as what kind of impact better health protocols had. What was different in the winter? Seasonality, but the flu data really makes me wonder if it was seasonality (and I agree with Steve that the drop can’t be explained by warmer weather). The other thing that’s different is holiday travel, which often involves people visiting people they don’t spend the other 11 months of the year around.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the spikes in other countries that celebrate Christmas show that was as much of a factor as anything in the most recent spike in the US (with a "bonus" coming from Thanksgiving as well).

Mexico was doing OK -- not great, but not really bad -- but got crushed with cases a few weeks after Christmas because people finally let their guard down. The most restrictive measures the Mexican government put into place were only in the last few weeks because most of the hospitals in the country were at plus max capacity.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Pentagon says there’s no data on troops refusing vaccines. One general just proved them wrong
Well, it turns out that roughly one third of service members have passed on the opportunity to get the COVID-19 vaccine, an Air Force two-star general told lawmakers on Wednesday.
Would love to know the overlap between the people refusing and their politics. Could be just a case of "it's not mandatory, so fuck off," but maybe it's something else.

Some folks just don't want to take the time out to go do it if they don't have to. Others have heard that the second shot will knock them on their ass a bit and just don't feel like getting it.

I guess you kinda have to understand the mindset of military members: We've been "highly encouraged" to receive the vaccine. It is a loaded phrase that means "it isn't mandatory, but if you don't do it, it'll be noted." It's extremely passive aggressive and not something the younger folks are too keen on. There have been numerous "highly encouraged" events throughout one's career at any point, so right now it's kind of a "fuck you" to The Man for some.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I'm not getting the vaccines because we haven't studied the long term benefits and consequences and I'more afraid of the long term effects than I am of Covid
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am The Pentagon says there’s no data on troops refusing vaccines. One general just proved them wrong
Well, it turns out that roughly one third of service members have passed on the opportunity to get the COVID-19 vaccine, an Air Force two-star general told lawmakers on Wednesday.
Would love to know the overlap between the people refusing and their politics. Could be just a case of "it's not mandatory, so fuck off," but maybe it's something else.

Some folks just don't want to take the time out to go do it if they don't have to. Others have heard that the second shot will knock them on their ass a bit and just don't feel like getting it.

I guess you kinda have to understand the mindset of military members: We've been "highly encouraged" to receive the vaccine. It is a loaded phrase that means "it isn't mandatory, but if you don't do it, it'll be noted." It's extremely passive aggressive and not something the younger folks are too keen on. There have been numerous "highly encouraged" events throughout one's career at any point, so right now it's kind of a "fuck you" to The Man for some.
My wife's good friend's husband is in the AF and had COVID (so did she, and she's having problems completely shaking it, but that's another issue). He's due to be deployed to the ME in the next month or two and they're refusing to give him the vaccine prior to that because he's only a couple of months out from having COVID. Nothing from the CDC says you shouldn't get the vaccine in that situation.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 am I'm not getting the vaccines because we haven't studied the long term benefits and consequences and I'more afraid of the long term effects than I am of Covid
Are you testing out a bit?