Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Square Rob »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 pm You guys view everything through a political lens. It's not crazy to think that covid 19 wouldn't have asymptomatic transmission. SARS (covid 2003) did not have substantial asymptomatic transmission. Why would we assume that covid does much less make major policy decisions based on it. This is March research.
I didn’t publish any fucking papers, but my wife and I had a discussion in late January before I went to Europe that I should consider wearing a mask because it was clear that almost anyone could be a carrier.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Can be truly devastating for groups like this I imagine.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Let's hope the press sees this too.

Alternate angle:

Last edited by Johnnie on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What are they saying?

Edit: DUH.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 am What are they saying?

Edit: DUH.
DER-EK JE-TER.

It's a boat full of Yankees fans, apparently.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

WE LOVE WA-TER [clap clap clapclapclap]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Guy torched his career, but he'll make a mint in the private sector and be a hero among Navy skippers for quite awhile.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its amazing the opposite of "knowingly torched career" is "knowingly let his people suffer and possibly die".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm The word “asymptomatic” shows up in this thread for the first time on February 24, and not in a “hey what if” kind of way but in a “hey I’ve been reading” kind of way.
Exactly. Thanks for this.

It's fucking bizarro world to be acting like this wasn't a thing a full month ago.

Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

ETA - I just didn't have it in me to confront this on here yesterday. Trying to keep sane. But holy fucking shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's amazing to me how many excuses the right will accept for Trump's incompetence, but some jihadis kill four Americans halfway around the world and Hillary Clinton is the worst SecState in American history. It honestly must be nice to have the kind of brain that allows for that kind of selective cognizance.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 pm I'm not sure why commercial aviation is still running. Most states have some version of a stay-at-home and anything resembling entertainment/vacationy has been cancelled. I looked on Flightaware this afternoon and there were thousands of jets in the air. I'm not saying close it tomorrow but give people a week (April 10-11) to get where they want to hunker down and (maybe) reopen April 30ish. We shut it down after 9/11 for a couple weeks and it would seem prudent to do it now.
Think there's an "emergency travel" component though. Especially under circumstances if you have a parent get ill, etc.
Yeah, for example, not an emergency, but...

I have my son's shit still up in Boston, and my daughter's shit in her sorority house in Denver. At some point, I gotta go pack that shit and store it/move it home.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am
brian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:51 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:48 pm I'm not sure why commercial aviation is still running. Most states have some version of a stay-at-home and anything resembling entertainment/vacationy has been cancelled. I looked on Flightaware this afternoon and there were thousands of jets in the air. I'm not saying close it tomorrow but give people a week (April 10-11) to get where they want to hunker down and (maybe) reopen April 30ish. We shut it down after 9/11 for a couple weeks and it would seem prudent to do it now.
Think there's an "emergency travel" component though. Especially under circumstances if you have a parent get ill, etc.
Yeah, for example, not an emergency, but...

I have my son's shit still up in Boston, and my daughter's shit in her sorority house in Denver. At some point, I gotta go pack that shit and store it/move it home.
I'm very glad we went and got the daughter's stuff when we did.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BTW, as my much smarter wife pointed out on our evening walk yesterday:

A virus is transmitted, primarily, through asymptomatic carriers. That's the entire fucking point.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 am Let's hope the press sees this too.

Alternate angle:

I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying.

Fucking shit, man.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

And, just as expected, we are truly living in 1984.

Website changed to reflect what Dipshit Jared said yesterday.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:48 am And, just as expected, we are truly living in 1984.

Website changed to reflect what Dipshit Jared said yesterday.
Jesus, how does the person who wrote or entered that shit live with themselves?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone else noticing the wildlife changing their patterns?

Squirrels and even birds are WAY less skittish at the moment. I've noticed this week on my walks that they are allowing you to walk very close before they bolt.

I know we had pictures in here of mountain lions in Boulder walking the streets, but I think it's going beyond that. Less cars and just being used to a TON more people walking around is changing things.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:39 am Anyone else noticing the wildlife changing their patterns?

Squirrels and even birds are WAY less skittish at the moment. I've noticed this week on my walks that they are allowing you to walk very close before they bolt.

I know we had pictures in here of mountain lions in Boulder walking the streets, but I think it's going beyond that. Less cars and just being used to a TON more people walking around is changing things.
Yes, absolutely. Crows are everywhere. Also we just got an official 'lion warning' for the city.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Coyotes are extending further than usual from the mountains here into the city (it's unusual though not unheard of to see them in my neighborhood, but I even saw one walking down the street the other day).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am Coyotes are extending further than usual from the mountains here into the city (it's unusual though not unheard of to see them in my neighborhood, but I even saw one walking down the street the other day).
It did not catch on fire did it?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:01 am
Rex wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm The word “asymptomatic” shows up in this thread for the first time on February 24, and not in a “hey what if” kind of way but in a “hey I’ve been reading” kind of way.

It's fucking bizarro world to be acting like this wasn't a thing a full month ago.

ETA - I just didn't have it in me to confront this on here yesterday. Trying to keep sane. But holy fucking shit.
The possibility or even likelihood of asymptomatic transmission is not the issue. The issue is that the level of asymptomatic transmission was/still is not well quantified. The policy differs depending on whether that number is 5% or 50%. That science is probably still unclear now much less in February. Our understanding continues to evolve and the policy follows.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:36 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:01 am

The possibility or even likelihood of asymptomatic transmission is not the issue. The issue is that the level of asymptomatic transmission was/still is not well quantified. The policy differs depending on whether that number is 5% or 50%. That science is probably still unclear now much less in February. Our understanding continues to evolve and the policy follows.
Isn't that the ONLY thing at issue? Kemp said he didn't know about it at all until a day before his presser.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah you can rightfully slam him for those words (and I'm no fan of ga republican govt) but to me the question is did he make the right policy choice at the right time given his info. My point is that the info was likely not there or certainly not complete.

This is q decent plain English article that gives some insight into timing of knowledge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ow-it/amp/

Eta only cause I think this is cool... Check out this preprint draft paper. Not quite sure whether it helps your opinions or mine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9-main.pdf
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm Yeah you can rightfully slam him for those words (and I'm no fan of ga republican govt) but to me the question is did he make the right policy choice at the right time given his info. My point is that the info was likely not there or certainly not complete.

This is q decent plain English article that gives some insight into timing of knowledge.

For fuckssake, he was deliberately obtuse and made shitty decisions. I live in a state with a Republican governor (Hogan) who is absolutely killing it with the response - has been early and proactive and we have a real chance to bend the curve here. It is beyond me how you can argue that GA had worse information than Hogan did here in Maryland. Jesus.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The article itself is nearly three weeks old.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We're seeing first hand what happens when you put people in charge of government who hate government. It's like putting a fox in charge of the henhouse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:55 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm Yeah you can rightfully slam him for those words (and I'm no fan of ga republican govt) but to me the question is did he make the right policy choice at the right time given his info. My point is that the info was likely not there or certainly not complete.

For fuckssake, he was deliberately obtuse and made shitty decisions. I live in a state with a Republican governor (Hogan) who is absolutely killing it with the response - has been early and proactive and we have a real chance to bend the curve here. It is beyond me how you can argue that GA had worse information than Hogan did here in Maryland. Jesus.
His decision making process was right because you assume the outcome will be correct? Might not want to go gambling with that analysis.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm pretty sure that's not the lesson being taken away here.

Am I missing something or is the arugment that it's not a fucking travesty that a governor didn't know until April that the virus spreading across the globe and causing enormous disruptions to the economy could be spread by asymptomatic people? And an article from 3/18 is supposed to obsolve this dipshit?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Im going to try and have this discussion in a civil way because im intersted. So apologies for the prior shots. But its only April 3. So mid-march to now is only two weeks. I think youre on to something along the lines of policy makers should have inferred that this might be going on because of the speed of its spread worldwide but you know what they say about assumptions. But the biggest thing is that the mid march research isnt clear. Its primary determination is that there needs to be more research. One concludes that less than half of cases may be asymptomatic. What can you do with "less than half?" Is that 1% or 50%? Thats the lack of clarity im talking about. And its hard to make decisions based on that. And when you do make decisions you can just as easily be wrong as right. I generally stand still til i see how deep the ball is hit. Otherwise you end up chasing balls on the track.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Or err on the safe side when it comes to something that's actively killing people.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:31 pmI generally stand still til i see how deep the ball is hit. Otherwise you end up chasing balls on the track.
I think this is a great analogy. But as I see it, we knew two months ago, or more, that the ball was clearly hit deep and we were playing in. So the smart move is to start heading back right away rather than waiting to see exactly how deep it is.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:57 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:31 pmI generally stand still til i see how deep the ball is hit. Otherwise you end up chasing balls on the track.
I think this is a great analogy. But as I see it, we knew two months ago, or more, that the ball was clearly hit deep and we were playing in. So the smart move is to start heading back right away rather than waiting to see exactly how deep it is.
FIRST TWO STEPS ARE BACK NO MATTER WHAT!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Quite the analogy. You always make a break, and unless its clearly in front of you the break is back, because that's the conservative move to make and limits potential damage.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What he meant to say is the correct move is to just stand there and do nothing for six weeks while the ball is hit over your head and you make no effort to retrieve it while the other team runs around the bases nonstop.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Am I trippin' or are we seriously trying to play devil's advocate for the governor of the state where the CDC is located 20 minutes from his office?

And this is the same governor that oversaw his own very close election since he was Secretary of State and was a notorious vote suppressor thus causing a massive conflict of interest in plain daylight?

That governor? Really? He just happened to miss the news due to what, a fluke?

We really doing this? Really?

The fuck is going on right now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:04 pm We're seeing first hand what happens when you put people in charge of government who hate government. It's like putting a fox in charge of the henhouse.
He's generally a dipshit, but PJ O'Rourke was spot on with this one:
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm Am I trippin' or are we seriously trying to play devil's advocate for the governor of the state where the CDC is located 20 minutes from his office?

And this is the same governor that oversaw his own very close election since he was Secretary of State and was a notorious vote suppressor thus causing a massive conflict of interest in plain daylight?

That governor? Really? He just happened to miss the news due to what, a fluke?

We really doing this? Really?

The fuck is going on right now.
Right? In the time it took him to make the right decision he could have literally walked from his office to the CDC, got guidance from them, walked back to his office at the state capital and still had at least a week or two to spare.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Whoa, whoa. Do you guys really take steps backward before you see where its going? You drop left one half step if its hit on that side and drop right a half step if its on that side but no active steps back until you know its over your head. I do kinda agree with the shallow positioning part but even then you have to see it its over your head first. And I say an early break is a really good way to create doubles and triples out of singles. Not sure thats limiting damage.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm Whoa, whoa. Do you guys really take steps backward before you see where its going? You drop left one half step if its hit on that side and drop right a half step if its on that side but no active steps back until you know its over your head.
Mister D put it less "AB's little league coach" and more "by the book strategy".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

While I was on the phone with my mother saying that my town has 36 confirmed cases, but only 2 hospitalized and no deaths, with 8 "fully recovered," I jump to call waiting and get a robocall from my mayor saying we had 4 residents die of COVID last night, 46 confirmed cases in town. Population is 13,000.

All 4 deaths were residents of a elder care facility, and apparently not brought to the hospital.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt