Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am Between this and states banning travel from specific states
I had thought I heard something about this being beyond the authority of any state government to do. But you're the lawyer(s) so would be interested to hear your take.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I just think Trump sees himself as Marlon Brando. Just the epitome of masculinity. A guy who played a ruthless captain, a crazy, rogue colonel (Apocalypse Now), a wife beating, friend raping adulterer (Streetcar Named Desire), and The Godfather.

But low-key, Brando sucked a dick every now and then in real life.

From what I remember reading/watching, Mutiny on the Bounty was a flop of a movie. But whatever. Dude's full on fucking psychopants.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am
rass wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:25 pm NJ/NY/PA/DE/CT (and now MA!) have formed some sort of regional council, too.
These seems like a monumental break from our federal system of governance. I see it is a bold move on the part of these Governors to refuse to follow the advice or guidance from the President and his team. While it got attention in the media, I'm surprised it didn't get much more. Between this and states banning travel from specific states, I'm curious to see if this leads to a long-term weakening of the federal system.
I’m not sure it’s really that significant. I think interstate compacts are relatively common where you have regional-but-interstate issues. The Colorado River Compact is the example I’m most familiar with, but I’m pretty sure there are others. Maybe the governors are playing this up to tweak Trump, but I don’t expect any long-term impact on federalism.
I don't mean the cooperation of the states, but the pact to all stick with whatever decision the state expert panel concludes and ignore the federal group's determination coupled with the President angrily declaring that only he has the power to determine when and how the economy will open, not the Governors. I heard Cuomo saying he has no faith in Trump's determination, and he will ignore the President's decision on when and how to reopen if he doesn't agree with it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm sure all the 'states rights' militias will be all over the threat of this tyrannical federal overreach.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Worth reading the whole thread...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:10 pm From what I remember reading/watching, Mutiny on the Bounty was a flop of a movie. But whatever. Dude's full on fucking psychopants.
The 1935 version with Clark Gable and Charles Naughton is a great movie.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Bounty with Anthony Hopkins was pretty good iirc.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:08 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am Between this and states banning travel from specific states
I had thought I heard something about this being beyond the authority of any state government to do. But you're the lawyer(s) so would be interested to hear your take.
In Kentucky, the governor has asked if you came in from another state that you remain in quarantine for 14 days, but I don't know how enforceable it is.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, the 1935 version puts the Brando one to shame. It was a hit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:17 am So South Dakota is getting hit pretty bad now, thanks to its governor firmly deciding not to take action because freedom or whatever.

I just wanted to post this picture from the article, which was apparently captured as she watched a fight break out between her boyfriend and ex-husband in the Cabela's parking lot:

There is a very small part of me that is curious what makes up the rest of her outfit to tie together the earrings and blazer (or flannel shirt?).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm Worth reading the whole thread...

Man, that thread fucking killed it. Made some incredibly strong points, but was hilarious.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s absolutely been a severe undercount in deaths and cases. A whole subset of eggheads in public health crunch the numbers after the pandemic is over to determine an estimate of how many people will ultimately need to be added to the death toll. The health care system in this country is uniquely suited to force people to die at home alone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:58 pm
I got mine yesterday via direct deposit.

How fucking pathetic do you have to be to need your name on a stimulus check in the memo section because you can't legally sign in the signature block?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:30 am
sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:58 pm
I got mine yesterday via direct deposit.

How fucking pathetic do you have to be to need your name on a stimulus check in the memo section because you can't legally sign in the signature block?
As many folks on Twitter are suggesting, let him also sign all the death certificates that he's responsible for.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just when you thought you'd heard everything...

(Its because the virus emerged in 2019, not because its the 19th iteration of it)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 am Just when you thought you'd heard everything...

(Its because the virus emerged in 2019, not because its the 19th iteration of it)
Gotta wonder, is she that stupid and ignorant, or knows what she is saying is dumb as shit, but the base will but into it and keep the support of the morons. There is a reason Trump loved the uneducated.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

She knows what she's doing. Makes her that much more evil.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pretty clear that every lie told diminishes her life force just a little bit more.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh shit maybe her super cool husband is going to tweet out a response!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:45 am Pretty clear that every lie told diminishes her life force just a little bit more.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 am Oh shit maybe her super cool husband is going to tweet out a response!
That whole thing is a work. They are playing both sides of the street, and going home to their big fancy home and laughing about it together.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I hate him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 am
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 am Oh shit maybe her super cool husband is going to tweet out a response!
That whole thing is a work. They are playing both sides of the street, and going home to their big fancy home and laughing about it together.
I dunno, man. I'm not gonna pretend to know what their deal is, but George Conway doesn't seem like he's pulling any punches. It's not like they're the only couple in the world that doesn't share the same feelings about Trump.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm amazed that I can still be astonished by the utter craveness of Trump...but here we are:

Trump wants to declare country open by May 1 — but the reality will be much slower
Rather, the debate this week has been over how to implement the return, what data could be used to justify the decision, and how to build public support for it to provide the president maximum political cover, according to one senior administration official involved in the discussions and a second person who has been briefed on them.

Trump’s advisers are trying to shield the president from political accountability should his move to reopen the economy prove premature and result in lost lives, and so they are trying to mobilize business executives, economists and other prominent figures to buy into the eventual White House plan, so that if it does not work, the blame can be shared broadly, according to two former administration officials familiar with the efforts.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:24 am
I dunno, man. I'm not gonna pretend to know what their deal is, but George Conway doesn't seem like he's pulling any punches. It's not like they're the only couple in the world that doesn't share the same feelings about Trump.
Its one thing for a couple to not share the same feelings about Trump....but one hand here is a guy who is very publicly blasting him on a daily basis...and his wife works for the guy! And is just as publicly goes out and supports him.

Not saying they should divorce...just wondering how a married couple (with kids) could handle that. Does she come home from work and sit at the dining room table and talk about her day at the White House? Does she ask him 'So honey...what did you do today? Oh, I wrote an op-ed calling your boss the worst human on the planet'.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

$672 in the account this morning. I'm now a Trump guy. Rah Rah you guys are all big dummies look at how I'm about to stimulate the economy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, it's the Carville - Matalin shtick for sure. Not sure why people aren't calling it out more.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am
brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:24 am
Its one thing for a couple to not share the same feelings about Trump....but one hand here is a guy who is very publicly blasting him on a daily basis...and his wife works for the guy! And is just as publicly goes out and supports him.

Not saying they should divorce...just wondering how a married couple (with kids) could handle that. Does she come home from work and sit at the dining room table and talk about her day at the White House? Does she ask him 'So honey...what did you do today? Oh, I wrote an op-ed calling your boss the worst human on the planet'.
Standard caveats about how much you should trust gossip reporting yada yada yada, but supposedly they live in separate parts of their house and almost never interact.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I feel like all the talk of opening the economy up so early is setting up to blame the Dems for the impending economic crisis. The GOP are all calling for opening the economy early and trading lives for profits. Dems are calling for waiting longer. I see the GOP going slower and blaming the Dems for not opening earlier when we have insanely high unemployment during the election. It's a good strategy, as waiting will keep the death count lower, and they can say the Dems overstated the risk, because only "x" number died and the Dems said it would be much higher. OTOH, the death count has been really high, but mostly focused in a few places. I wonder how rural voters in relatively unaffected areas are going to feel if the economy remains closed, they are out of work, and almost nobody in their region is sick. I'm definitely seeing this from the people in my Facebook feed who never left my hometown. Last time I talked to my parents a couple days ago, the entire county had 10 deaths and I think just under 100 positive cases. I think all or most of those deaths were elderly residents in long term care facilities.

OTOH, it sounds like people are still taking in very seriously there. My parents devout Trump supporting friends are fully bought into the quarantine, but they are all in their 70s or 80s, so have a much more vested interest in staying healthy, and they are all retired. The most vocal guy is a super-Republican businessman. His father owned a bunch of large car dealerships, a golf course, commercial real estate and a lot of other businesses around town. He single handedly financed the beautiful AA Baseball stadium built when I was in HS and brought the Mets affiliate to town. From what I gather, my friend inherited the family businesses. He was the youngest kid by a long shot, all his siblings were 15+ years older and left town after college. He is a very intelligent guy and I always liked him, but his political shit over the past 5 years has been insane. Obama conspiracies and MAGA bullshit. Actually, not so much pro-Trump, but attacking the criticisms of Trump. And when fracking came to town, he was all over defending the frackers.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am I feel like all the talk of opening the economy up so early is setting up to blame the Dems for the impending economic crisis. The GOP are all calling for opening the economy early and trading lives for profits. Dems are calling for waiting longer. I see the GOP going slower and blaming the Dems for not opening earlier when we have insanely high unemployment during the election. It's a good strategy, as waiting will keep the death count lower, and they can say the Dems overstated the risk, because only "x" number died and the Dems said it would be much higher. OTOH, the death count has been really high, but mostly focused in a few places. I wonder how rural voters in relatively unaffected areas are going to feel if the economy remains closed, they are out of work, and almost nobody in their region is sick. I'm definitely seeing this from the people in my Facebook feed who never left my hometown. Last time I talked to my parents a couple days ago, the entire county had 10 deaths and I think just under 100 positive cases. I think all or most of those deaths were elderly residents in long term care facilities.
The economic fallout of the pandemic is almost certainly going to be the single biggest issue for the general election. Already, the real unemployment rate is believed to be the highest it has been since the 1930s. And many people who have kept their jobs have faced significant pay cuts. I suspect you're right that many people outside of the NYC/Detroit/New Orleans areas that have born the brunt of the death toll will be questioning whether the restrictions (and resulting economic loss) were all worth it. That will lead to a lot of populist anger -- anger which won't necessary be directed at Trump. This is why I've been harping on Warren as a potential VP pick in the other thread. I really worry that pols like Biden, Klobuchar, Harris, etc. just don't have it in them to put forth proposals that match the magnitude of the economic crisis and populist anger that is coming.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 am Yeah, I hate him.
Same. The fact that he is still with her (regardless of the rooms the occupy) speaks a lot to his character.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:53 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am I feel like all the talk of opening the economy up so early is setting up to blame the Dems for the impending economic crisis. The GOP are all calling for opening the economy early and trading lives for profits. Dems are calling for waiting longer. I see the GOP going slower and blaming the Dems for not opening earlier when we have insanely high unemployment during the election. It's a good strategy, as waiting will keep the death count lower, and they can say the Dems overstated the risk, because only "x" number died and the Dems said it would be much higher. OTOH, the death count has been really high, but mostly focused in a few places. I wonder how rural voters in relatively unaffected areas are going to feel if the economy remains closed, they are out of work, and almost nobody in their region is sick. I'm definitely seeing this from the people in my Facebook feed who never left my hometown. Last time I talked to my parents a couple days ago, the entire county had 10 deaths and I think just under 100 positive cases. I think all or most of those deaths were elderly residents in long term care facilities.
The economic fallout of the pandemic is almost certainly going to be the single biggest issue for the general election. Already, the real unemployment rate is believed to be the highest it has been since the 1930s. And many people who have kept their jobs have faced significant pay cuts. I suspect you're right that many people outside of the NYC/Detroit/New Orleans areas that have born the brunt of the death toll will be questioning whether the restrictions (and resulting economic loss) were all worth it. That will lead to a lot of populist anger -- anger which won't necessary be directed at Trump. This is why I've been harping on Warren as a potential VP pick in the other thread. I really worry that pols like Biden, Klobuchar, Harris, etc. just don't have it in them to put forth proposals that match the magnitude of the economic crisis and populist anger that is coming.
Yeah, we know his supporters won't blame him for anything. It's going to take some absolute Olympic level mental gymnastics for anyone who has been paying attention and an IQ over 80 to figure out a way to blame Biden for this though, so unless the "economic anxiety" that led people to not be able to vote for a competent woman applies to old, rich white men as well I'm not terribly worried at this point.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am I wonder how rural voters in relatively unaffected areas are going to feel if the economy remains closed, they are out of work, and almost nobody in their region is sick.
I read a thread on Twitter a few hours ago about how its about to hit rural areas HARD, mostly due to a) lack of health care facilities, and b) lack of health insurance.

I tried to look for it again...but no luck.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am Yeah, we know his supporters won't blame him for anything. It's going to take some absolute Olympic level mental gymnastics for anyone who has been paying attention and an IQ over 80 to figure out a way to blame Biden for this though, so unless the "economic anxiety" that led people to not be able to vote for a competent woman applies to old, rich white men as well I'm not terribly worried at this point.
Not Biden personally, but Syb’s point (which I agree with) is that the GOP may try to point the finger at big state governors like Newsom, Cuomo and Pritzker—and by extension the Democratic Party—for “destroying the economy.” That argument won’t actually play in hard hit urban areas but it’s not like Trump is fishing for votes in NYC.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:04 am
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 am Yeah, I hate him.
Same. The fact that he is still with her (regardless of the rooms the occupy) speaks a lot to his character.

The guy dated Laura Ingraham and was introduced to his current bride by Ann Coulter.

Those are the circles he runs in.

Fucking moron.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:30 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am I wonder how rural voters in relatively unaffected areas are going to feel if the economy remains closed, they are out of work, and almost nobody in their region is sick.
I read a thread on Twitter a few hours ago about how its about to hit rural areas HARD, mostly due to a) lack of health care facilities, and b) lack of health insurance.

I tried to look for it again...but no luck.
That's been out there as a "thing" for over a week. And this week it's hitting home in those prairie and red states where the durr hurr governors are having their "this is about freedom" shit thrown back in their face.

Souix Falls is one of the hardest hit cities, forcing the closure of Smithfields, threatening the food supply chain.

Again, fucking morons.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Have any of you folks read One Ordinary Day, with Peanuts? It's one of the few short stories I read in school that I actually remembered. I think that's what's going on with the Conways.

But here's the thing - it doesn't fucking matter if this is all an act. It doesn't matter whether George Conway is a good guy or a bad guy, or whether he really believes what he is saying about Trump, or what his motivation is. What matters is that he's doing it - he's a longtime credible conservative, someone who is taken seriously by other conservatives, saying accurately horrible things about Trump. Trump's presidency is a national emergency, and in national emergencies, you accept help from whatever source you can.

Conway is helping the fight against Trump. For people who put a priority on preserving the US as a democratic republic, that's a good thing, regardless of why he's doing it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or is he serving as hollow performative resistance where, by example, at the end of the day everything isn't all that bad because they're still together?