Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt »

Good luck AB.

Hope you get the results soon.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well. He got the quick test and is positive.

Was headed to Indiana for a socially distanced conference but assume I’ll need to turn around. Waiting on word from my boss.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But if your boss says keep going weren't you were still in a car with a known positive?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I was going to strongly say not to go but he agreed immediately. So I’m headed home. Bonus: the SIL works for my wife so they’ve been in office all week together.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:48 am
rass wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 am The wife's workplace will be receiving and distributing the Pfizer vaccine. In addition to having to make arrangements to store it, (I think they're buying new freezers in addition to learning all about dry ice), it needs to be mixed on-site by the people distributing it.

We've also decided to try to quarantine for the 2 weeks prior to Christmas, and my parents are going to do the same, so they can come up here and spend Christmas Eve/Day with us (and the girls). I never leave the basement except to go grocery shopping, so not much effort for me. My wife will be skipping a couple of testing events at work, the oldest will be giving up two weeks of unofficial winter track practice, and the youngest, who decided she wants to train with her soccer team this winter (outside) after skipping the fall season, will get one training session in this weekend and then will skip the next 2 or 3.
Also on this train. Played my last pickup hockey last night and bowing out of league nights and pickups for the next 2 weeks. Wife is giving up shelter volunteering with the pups. It's gonna suckkkkkkk.
Ditto. Didn't bother sending kiddos back to school after Thanksgiving and last soccer and track practices this weekend and Monday. Mostly worried about how to handle everything xmas related (headed to a rental in VA for a couple weeks) that requires trips to stores, etc before the 8th. Not likely to be able to rely on delivery.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Off topic but any suggestions for youth winter workout gifting?
Handss, feet, ears are problem areas so far. Feet seems to be the biggest challenge. Tried hand warmers in socks but got rebellion and limited results.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:21 pm Off topic but any suggestions for youth winter workout gifting?
Handss, feet, ears are problem areas so far. Feet seems to be the biggest challenge. Tried hand warmers in socks but got rebellion and limited results.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This story...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:56 pm I was going to strongly say not to go but he agreed immediately. So I’m headed home. Bonus: the SIL works for my wife so they’ve been in office all week together.
BIL lost taste today. We get tested tomorrow (My work's doctor asked for a test this week then one early next week) but I'm home at least thorugh next week, although I was planning on that anyway.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:25 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:56 pm I was going to strongly say not to go but he agreed immediately. So I’m headed home. Bonus: the SIL works for my wife so they’ve been in office all week together.
BIL lost taste today. We get tested tomorrow (My work's doctor asked for a test this week then one early next week) but I'm home at least thorugh next week, although I was planning on that anyway.
Fuck. Good luck, AB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:14 pm This story...

The inside the hospital stories, both the crippling volume and the last hours of the class dad, are all what happened here in April when the first people who got infected were starting to crash. Just absolutely fucking inexcusable that every other region in the country had to learn first hand versus leadership taking lessons and protecting their constituents. There should be ramifications for the intentional inaction, but I'm sure there never will be.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:25 pm
Yeah, good luck! Even if it comes back negative, you might want to get tested again in a week or so.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:23 pm
The inside the hospital stories, both the crippling volume and the last hours of the class dad, are all what happened here in April when the first people who got infected were starting to crash. Just absolutely fucking inexcusable that every other region in the country had to learn first hand versus leadership taking lessons and protecting their constituents. There should be ramifications for the intentional inaction, but I'm sure there never will be.
I think the media, or government agencies (obviously Trump Admin wouldn't do it) should have shown what dying of COVID looks like, or shown scenes in overcrowded hospitals to scare people. More coverage of the rows of refrigeration trucks filled with corpses. I know it sounds gruesome, and back in March or April, there was a feeling of not wanting to create terror, but maybe during the summer when people started to feel safe coming out, or felt the danger was diminishing, so how bad it is, so people wouldn't be so cavalier in thinking it is just the flu, or any old or sick people get bad symptoms. Show interviews with the families of dying patients who aren't able to visit. Show makeshift units turned into COVID units filled with people struggling to take their last breaths alone. I think people needed to see the horrors to take the appropriate precautions.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Absolutely. Some people would never learn or care and we were already cautious going in, but knowing the first-hand story of exactly how it can play out has definitely kept us on restrictions through whenever this ends. Going from seeing him at the park to 2 weeks later he's sick to 2 weeks later he was dead was a massive jolt.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm in agreement with the above. Showing the graphic consequences in my eyes can only help hammer it home.

...I just deleted what I wrote after the above statement. That was just a little too upsetting.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Hey DSafe, how is your mom doing?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 pm Hey DSafe, how is your mom doing?
As far as I know, well. She was in very good spirits when I talked to her on Thanksgiving morning, but I plan on calling her tomorrow (haven't heard anything since and the home she is at is good at contacting my sister who lives nearby, if needed).

Thanks for asking.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Isn't showing the gruesome reality of war what finally turned the American populace against the one in Vietnam?

If only we could do that with the current ones we're fighting.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:15 am Isn't showing the gruesome reality of war what finally turned the American populace against the one in Vietnam?

If only we could do that with the current ones we're fighting.
In the most recent 'Hardcore History', Carlin talked about how FDR approved the photos of dead Marines at Tarawa because he felt the public needed to know the sacrifices that were being made.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF's brother is an 'on-call' illustrator for the NY Times. This one was with an op-ed yesterday about 'Covid Shaming'.

Yes, People Are Traveling for the Holidays. Stop Shaming Them.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just found out that the GF's Ex has tested positive. Don't think she's been exposed (last time they were together was the day after Thanksgiving...in a car to go see their daughter. GF was wearing an N95 mask the whole time).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:29 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 pm Hey DSafe, how is your mom doing?
As far as I know, well. She was in very good spirits when I talked to her on Thanksgiving morning, but I plan on calling her tomorrow (haven't heard anything since and the home she is at is good at contacting my sister who lives nearby, if needed).

Thanks for asking.
It appears she had an asymptomatic case. Or at least that seems like a better outcome than having had a false positive test result.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:38 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks for asking.
It appears she had an asymptomatic case. Or at least that seems like a better outcome than having had a false positive test result.
That's good to hear either way.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This seems like a major mis-calculation...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“If I had a second chance at this pandemic, I would have prioritized health. At the very least, my personal health.”

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This blurb from the NYT morning briefing email sucks:
I asked the authors of the Health Affairs study to put their findings into terms that we nonscientists could understand, and they were kind enough to do so. The estimates are fairly stunning:

• At the current level of infection in the U.S. (about 200,000 confirmed new infections per day), a vaccine that is 95 percent effective — distributed at the expected pace — would still leave a terrible toll in the six months after it was introduced. Almost 10 million or so Americans would contract the virus, and more than 160,000 would die.

• This is far worse than the toll in an alternate universe in which the vaccine was only 50 percent effective but the U.S. had reduced the infection rate to its level in early September (about 35,000 new daily cases). In that scenario, the death toll in the next six months would be kept to about 60,000.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jeebus florida...just (follow and read the eight tweets that follow):

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:28 pm “If I had a second chance at this pandemic, I would have prioritized health. At the very least, my personal health.”

This guy dying is helpful, but I don't think some random state senator is going to do much. We need a US Senator to die - because Giuliani is probably too much to hope for.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just got my brain swabbed. It gets easier every time!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 am Jeebus florida...just (follow and read the eight tweets that follow):

So very, very wrong. So very, very third world.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:00 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 am Jeebus florida...just (follow and read the eight tweets that follow):

So very, very wrong. So very, very third world.
In other words, Florida.

The GOP is just fucking disgusting. They have been heading this way since Gingrich, but Trump has accelerated the decline.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That video of police storming into that woman's home was incredible. Because she maybe sent an email she shouldn't have? And frankly, if she did so because the state set up a single user account/password for all employees to use ... well, then fuck 'em. They got exactly what they were asking for.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hey, he's not known as Governor Ron DeathSentence for nothing.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am Just got my brain swabbed. It gets easier every time!
Still negative? Everyone alright in the house that coal built?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:57 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am Just got my brain swabbed. It gets easier every time!
Still negative? Everyone alright in the house that coal built?
Ah. Yes. Negatory. All clear here. Cleared to go back to office Monday which I think I need. I’m going nuts. Not built for work from home.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Those numbers are a little odd to me. The average death rate in the US the past couple years has been about 7800 per day. So even without Covid a normal day would be twice as deadly as Antietam.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:28 pm
Those numbers are a little odd to me. The average death rate in the US the past couple years has been about 7800 per day. So even without Covid a normal day would be twice as deadly as Antietam.
Put another way, I guess, last Thursday may have been the deadliest day in US history.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:28 pm
Well I do think it was limited to COVID deaths because these were externality events and not just every day mortality.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Had my first test today. Wasn't too bad. Certainly uncomfortable, but over quickly.