Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

My daughter’s wife’s mother is on a ventilator as of last night at 11:00 pm. She was sick about a week ago, all the symptoms, but couldn’t be tested because she’s 59 and was told protocol in her area is 60. She lives in Lynchburg. She was feeling better in last 48 hours but it all crashed last night all at once apparently - between Brianna and Nora checking in with her at 7:00 and when she was taken by ambulance to the hospital at 11. They are finally testing her so there’s that. She has significant health issues otherwise so, yeah, this is probably odds on not a great development. We saw monica at Christmas when she and her significant other came to baltimore and hosted them for a bit and it was a good visit- I am glad we saw her then and really glad Nora and Brianna got some time then - it is all very tenuous nowadays.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man. Hope she pulls through.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, DSafe. Sorry, Bengal. There certainly are other people in Lynchburg that I'd rather get the virus. I have to wonder if Falwell's decision to keep his university open is going to have an effect on the number of cases, there.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am My daughter’s wife’s mother is on a ventilator as of last night at 11:00 pm. She was sick about a week ago, all the symptoms, but couldn’t be tested because she’s 59 and was told protocol in her area is 60. She lives in Lynchburg. She was feeling better in last 48 hours but it all crashed last night all at once apparently - between Brianna and Nora checking in with her at 7:00 and when she was taken by ambulance to the hospital at 11. They are finally testing her so there’s that. She has significant health issues otherwise so, yeah, this is probably odds on not a great development. We saw monica at Christmas when she and her significant other came to baltimore and hosted them for a bit and it was a good visit- I am glad we saw her then and really glad Nora and Brianna got some time then - it is all very tenuous nowadays.
Fuck, TB. Here’s hoping.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:05 am Shit - that is scary. How old is he?
Early 40's.

When my grandmother died (mom's mom), that side of the family no longer had an anchor to bring everyone together, so I haven't seen him in three years, which was at my stepfather's funeral. Prior to that, I hadn't seen him since maybe his wedding, which was years before that. The two of us always got along well and there's no hard feelings, just nothing that brings the whole family together. He's actually run into a couple cousins of mine on my dad's side of the family recently, as his girlfriend lives in their town.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Because we could all use some hope in this shitty time:

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

'No one could have predicted this!'

Except for all the people in Trump's administration who did exactly that...

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So maybe this is what sinks him?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:00 pm So maybe this is what sinks him?
Depends on his tone.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:00 pm So maybe this is what sinks him?
Nah, we’d just get trump 2.0 with Biden.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm Boris Johnson in Intensive Care
Super sad.
Don't worry, he's... been released.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Prayerful for the mother in law
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Neighbors next door are having a party because sure. People are the fucking worst.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:19 pm Neighbors next door are having a party because sure. People are the fucking worst.
I speculated to some friends that people are getting tired of social distancing I thought the Easter weekend was going to be an issue. It sucks and people blow. I went out once this weekend for the famil grocery run and I was actually impressed at how people were distancing. So at least in my neck of the woods we are still good.

ETA: I do feel bad in hindsight for that one day we went to hang with some friends for a few hours.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 am Trump only started taking it seriously (the famed 'change in tone' a couple of days ago) when his campaign pointed out that 'hey...this is going to kill a lot of our voters too!'.

“The Campaign Panicked”: Inside Trump’s Decision to Back Off of His Easter Coronavirus Miracle
Trump’s latest tonal and tactical shift (and almost certainly not the last) was driven by several factors, both personal and political. Trump learned that his close friend, 78-year-old New York real estate mogul Stan Chera, had contracted COVID-19 and fallen into a coma at NewYork-Presbyterian. “Boy, did that hit home. Stan is like one of his best friends,” said prominent New York Trump donor Bill White...”

That friend of Trump’s died yesterday.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[redacted]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:19 pm Neighbors next door are having a party because sure. People are the fucking worst.
Went for a walk last night and there were multiple houses in our development that had enough cars in their driveway/on the street to suggest they were hosting a gathering, including one that had five vehicles, including a couple parked in the street, and another with three cars with New York plates and one from Ohio.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 am
Went for a walk last night and there were multiple houses in our development that had enough cars in their driveway/on the street to suggest they were hosting a gathering, including one that had five vehicles, including a couple parked in the street, and another with three cars with New York plates and one from Ohio.
We've been running into more and more people in groups of 8-10+ standing right next to each other on our walks. Neighbors conversing, kids playing. It's all a little infuriating. I admit I left the house this week to go sit with a buddy of mine at a fire in his backyard. I brought my own chair, own beers, pissed in the corner of the fence, had zero common contact. And basically did decon anywhere when I got home.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gotta say I've seen none of that in my neighbourhood, and there are a number of old school Orthodox Jews here. No crowds for Passover seders, nothing.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am My daughter’s wife’s mother is on a ventilator as of last night at 11:00 pm. She was sick about a week ago, all the symptoms, but couldn’t be tested because she’s 59 and was told protocol in her area is 60. She lives in Lynchburg. She was feeling better in last 48 hours but it all crashed last night all at once apparently - between Brianna and Nora checking in with her at 7:00 and when she was taken by ambulance to the hospital at 11. They are finally testing her so there’s that. She has significant health issues otherwise so, yeah, this is probably odds on not a great development. We saw monica at Christmas when she and her significant other came to baltimore and hosted them for a bit and it was a good visit- I am glad we saw her then and really glad Nora and Brianna got some time then - it is all very tenuous nowadays.
Hope she pulls through. Scary shit.

The numbers being officially reported are easily 25 percent undercounting. Easily. I'd be close to a million have contacted this thing by now. Purely anecdotal, but Justin Long has a podcast and he reported that his brother's gf came home from a trip and had it, then gave it to his brother and then Justin got it. None of them got tested and none of them needed to go to the hospital. I'm sure that's going on everywhere.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Everything is going to be just fine...

Fuck...we're doomed...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:08 pm Fuck...we're doomed...
These clowns can do whatever they want. States (the non-idiot ones) are going to stay on lockdown as long as they need.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:08 pm Fuck...we're doomed...
These clowns can do whatever they want. States (the non-idiot ones) are going to stay on lockdown as long as they need.
And what I've been wondering, noodling through a "gradual re-opening of the economy" is whether governors are going to restrict travel outside of their state, or more importantly restricting ppl from other states from being allow in.

Because states like Texas and Florida and most of the red states in the mountain west? They can fuck off for awhile.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is even better than conference realignment.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NJ/NY/PA/DE/CT (and now MA!) have formed some sort of regional council, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:25 pm NJ/NY/PA/DE/CT (and now MA!) have formed some sort of regional council, too.
I would feel a lot better if the Pennsylvania portion was from Harrisburg east.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This does not seem like a good idea. (Reopening things, not the forming of councils)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That will likely be the judgment from the public health experts. I think it's a good idea for the states with interconnected economies to make these decisions together based on cold, hard facts and science.

I think it's more proof at how badly Trump has driven the federal government into the ground that the feds aren't steering these ships either.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nowhere did the story mention the owner of the WWE has a wife serving in the Trump administration either.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 am
Nowhere did the story mention the owner of the WWE has a wife serving in the Trump administration either.
Formerly. Linda McMahon left the SBA last year to work for Trump's PAC.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Didn't realize she left, but still don't think the Herald needed Hercule Poirot to connect the dots on that decision by DeSantis.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 am Didn't realize she left, but still don't think the Herald needed Hercule Poirot to connect the dots on that decision by DeSantis.
I don't disagree in the least.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Lets see how King Donald is handling things this morning:

Jesus...
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So South Dakota is getting hit pretty bad now, thanks to its governor firmly deciding not to take action because freedom or whatever.

I just wanted to post this picture from the article, which was apparently captured as she watched a fight break out between her boyfriend and ex-husband in the Cabela's parking lot:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 am Lets see how King Donald is handling things this morning:

Jesus...
...what...is this?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Susan Collins: [solemnly shakes head while voting Yes on the "No PPEs Without Sufficient Praise Act of 2020"]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 am Lets see how King Donald is handling things this morning:

Jesus...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:25 pm NJ/NY/PA/DE/CT (and now MA!) have formed some sort of regional council, too.
These seems like a monumental break from our federal system of governance. I see it is a bold move on the part of these Governors to refuse to follow the advice or guidance from the President and his team. While it got attention in the media, I'm surprised it didn't get much more. Between this and states banning travel from specific states, I'm curious to see if this leads to a long-term weakening of the federal system.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 am
These seems like a monumental break from our federal system of governance. I see it is a bold move on the part of these Governors to refuse to follow the advice or guidance from the President and his team. While it got attention in the media, I'm surprised it didn't get much more. Between this and states banning travel from specific states, I'm curious to see if this leads to a long-term weakening of the federal system.
I’m not sure it’s really that significant. I think interstate compacts are relatively common where you have regional-but-interstate issues. The Colorado River Compact is the example I’m most familiar with, but I’m pretty sure there are others. Maybe the governors are playing this up to tweak Trump, but I don’t expect any long-term impact on federalism.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.