Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 amMy wife's good friend's husband is in the AF and had COVID (so did she, and she's having problems completely shaking it, but that's another issue). He's due to be deployed to the ME in the next month or two and they're refusing to give him the vaccine prior to that because he's only a couple of months out from having COVID. Nothing from the CDC says you shouldn't get the vaccine in that situation.
Fuckin' wut. That's weird. But then again, the military likes to make questionable decisions based on absolutely nothing more than a person sitting in a position of authority using that authority.

Like my quarantine adventure last month. No rhyme or reason. No communication. Just going off of feel. And the decision is always heavy handed because no one can question it.

Sounds like some dumb medical person made up a rule because they could.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 am I'm not getting the vaccines because we haven't studied the long term benefits and consequences and I'more afraid of the long term effects than I am of Covid
By the time it travelled through your system they would have already figured out how to mitigate any side effects.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am
TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 am I'm not getting the vaccines because we haven't studied the long term benefits and consequences and I'more afraid of the long term effects than I am of Covid
By the time it travelled through your system they would have already figured out how to mitigate any side effects.
Glad to see you’re able to post, TT.

I don’t think long-term effects should be a big concern. Apparently, when vaccines have “long-term” effects, those effects show up within a couple of months. They haven’t yet. Plus, I don’t think this vaccine is some huge new thing. It was created using the process they’ve used for other vaccines. That’s how they could do it so quickly.

Link: https://www.chop.edu/news/long-term-sid ... 19-vaccine
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:59 am

I don’t think long-term effects should be a big concern. Apparently, when vaccines have “long-term” effects, those effects show up within a couple of months. They haven’t yet. Plus, I don’t think this vaccine is some huge new thing. It was created using the process they’ve used for other vaccines. That’s how they could do it so quickly.

From what I've read and heard from doctors/epidemiologists, this type of vaccine isn't prone to causing long term side effects. Unlike most vaccines, it can't infect you with COVID either, as it isn't giving you the virus, but the protein that surrounds the virus, so your immune system has a built in defense when it detects the protein. The only side effect issues I've hear of is from the second dose of Moderna, and it's just symptoms of the immune system kicking in, including chills, fever, aches and feeling tired. Almost everyone with these symptoms says it lasts a day or two at most.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:13 am The Pentagon says there’s no data on troops refusing vaccines. One general just proved them wrong
Well, it turns out that roughly one third of service members have passed on the opportunity to get the COVID-19 vaccine, an Air Force two-star general told lawmakers on Wednesday.
Would love to know the overlap between the people refusing and their politics. Could be just a case of "it's not mandatory, so fuck off," but maybe it's something else.

Some folks just don't want to take the time out to go do it if they don't have to. Others have heard that the second shot will knock them on their ass a bit and just don't feel like getting it.

I guess you kinda have to understand the mindset of military members: We've been "highly encouraged" to receive the vaccine. It is a loaded phrase that means "it isn't mandatory, but if you don't do it, it'll be noted." It's extremely passive aggressive and not something the younger folks are too keen on. There have been numerous "highly encouraged" events throughout one's career at any point, so right now it's kind of a "fuck you" to The Man for some.
One of the vaccines, I forget which one, tends to have more severe side effects for people who already have the antibodies from contracting the virus. This may be why they won't give him the vaccine, or maybe since he already has antibodies, they want to wait and give him the vaccine later.
My wife's good friend's husband is in the AF and had COVID (so did she, and she's having problems completely shaking it, but that's another issue). He's due to be deployed to the ME in the next month or two and they're refusing to give him the vaccine prior to that because he's only a couple of months out from having COVID. Nothing from the CDC says you shouldn't get the vaccine in that situation.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sounds like more of a conclusion than one might draw from limited long term data on mrna vaccines. TT thinking is right here, i just come down on different side of risk comparison. Covid > vaccine. Even based on the info on that article, no one knows really knows much about long term effects of mrna vaccines beyond the timelines of the zika, hiv, ebola, cancer trials. Presume it's ok cause fda but that's only emergency approval and tremendous pressure on those guys to approve.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Related story, I recently learned my mother could still get polio because her mother was worried about the new vaccine in the mid-1950s. Apparently the doctor secretly vaccinated my uncle.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 am Related story, I recently learned my mother could still get polio because her mother was worried about the new vaccine in the mid-1950s. Apparently the doctor secretly vaccinated my uncle.
Just don't let her go on a tour of the CDC labs.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I'm not testing a bit. I don't trust giant pharma companies that cranked out a vaccine in record time...I also have made it this far without it. Add into it my anxiety about weird drug interactions and I'm all set on it, especially since just mitigates symptoms and doesn't change the mask/social distsnce/ability to be infected...why exactly would I risk it?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

From what I have read is that it you do get Covid after receiving the vaccine, it won't be as bad as not having the vaccine. And being worried about long term effects of the vaccine, what about long term effects of getting Covid. Especially when you are performing in front of groups of people that did not seemed to be masked up from your video. I would err on the side of the vaccine and not on the side of Covid. But that is just me.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same reason you "risk" driving, because the risk isn't really all that high?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 am I'm not testing a bit. I don't trust giant pharma companies that cranked out a vaccine in record time...I also have made it this far without it. Add into it my anxiety about weird drug interactions and I'm all set on it, especially since just mitigates symptoms and doesn't change the mask/social distsnce/ability to be infected...why exactly would I risk it?
I don't trust Big Pharma either, but there is little chance of long term issues with this vaccine. And the anti-vaxxer arguments of the vaccine not being safe because it was produced in record time is complete bullshit. MRNA vaccines have been in the works for at least a decade, they only needed to plug in the genetic code for the specific protein used by the COVID virus.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:41 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:59 am

From what I've read and heard from doctors/epidemiologists, this type of vaccine isn't prone to causing long term side effects. Unlike most vaccines, it can't infect you with COVID either, as it isn't giving you the virus, but the protein that surrounds the virus, so your immune system has a built in defense when it detects the protein. The only side effect issues I've hear of is from the second dose of Moderna, and it's just symptoms of the immune system kicking in, including chills, fever, aches and feeling tired. Almost everyone with these symptoms says it lasts a day or two at most.
TT, you’re a straight shooter who likes unvarnished truth. Your body is no doubt compromised by your past activities. So, I say - don’t be a dumbass like some antivaxxer dork. Get the vaccine!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am Same reason you "risk" driving, because the risk isn't really all that high?
This.

Plus, if you avoid vaccination, you're also putting others at risk.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

that's the other thing...we all know I spent 2 decades trashing my liver. I have fears of introducing stuff into my body. Honestly I assume I've already had it and was asymptomatic because there is no way you can live how I've lived this past year and not have gotten it...can't do live standup without crowds and I'm pretty sure with every stage but Texas in lockdown I probably have done more shows than 99 percent of American comics simply because my best friend is a huge booker.

by the way I'm not anti Vax, or anti any other one but this one...you just can't pretend this one came to be in the normal way. Truth is six months ago we didn't have one so how do you know what it does 6 months out? You can't. Yiu can guess and feel good about it but I don't.
If by the end of the year people aren't getting weird complexes I'll look at it then but realistically I'm in a young age group with no risk factors so I should be so far to the back of the line its not worth discussing for a few more months anyway.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am Same reason you "risk" driving, because the risk isn't really all that high?
This.

Plus, if you avoid vaccination, you're also putting others at risk.
Everyone assumes their own risk man. Always have.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Says he’s not anti-vax, then describes viewpoints shared by anti-vaxxers.
Noli Timere Messorem
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 pm Says he’s not anti-vax, then describes viewpoints shared by anti-vaxxers.
Cards on the table, I also have anxiety. Anxiety at a level that should be medicated and can't. and this situation is Taylor made to literally make me go insane can you imagine the Paranoia of a vaccine swimming inside your blood for 2 weeks, wondering about side effects and reading stories of people getting sick anyway and your body producing symptoms?? Jesus fuck no I would literally go insane with fear and lack of sleep. Like yall can really live like that wondering if you just fucked up the only body you gave yourself? I can't do it. won't do it. either. I'm much less afraid of physical than mental
stuff but that could be because im literally a crazy person.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 pm Says he’s not anti-vax, then describes viewpoints shared by anti-vaxxers.
Properly researched vaccines are good and necessary and keep us alive . kids should be vaccinated. seriously I'm not one of those people, just can we agree this vaccine isn't typical?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Properly researched vaccines are good and necessary and keep us alive . kids should be vaccinated. seriously I'm not one of those people, just can we agree this vaccine isn't typical?
Yeah, this vaccine is actually safer than a typical vaccine, as it doesn't introduce weakened or dead virus into your system, but the harmless protein that surrounds the virus. I get your anxiety, and I'm not going to try to persuade you to get a vaccine, but I am going to shoot down your flawed arguments.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, its not a typical rollout, but you're still mirroring a HS educated housewife in the 1950s in terms of putting your own knowledge on par with that of medical professionals and researchers. And "not everyone assumes their own risk" here given that immunocompromised people can't get vaccinated and rely on everyone else to keep them safe.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 pm
Cards on the table, I also have anxiety. Anxiety at a level that should be medicated and can't. and this situation is Taylor made to literally make me go insane can you imagine the Paranoia of a vaccine swimming inside your blood for 2 weeks, wondering about side effects and reading stories of people getting sick anyway and your body producing symptoms?? Jesus fuck no I would literally go insane with fear and lack of sleep. Like yall can really live like that wondering if you just fucked up the only body you gave yourself? I can't do it. won't do it. either. I'm much less afraid of physical than mental
stuff but that could be because im literally a crazy person.
I’m trying to reconcile how one can be afraid of the cure when they themselves are on the ticket for super spreader events.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TT, I've had 7 anthrax shots, 3 Japanese Encephalitis shots, 5 or so Typhoid shots, and the worst of them all, the Small Pox shot.

The latter literally took 3 weeks to go from incubation to vaccinated. It started off as a pimple on your shoulder, grew to a half dollar sized pimple, created extreme redness on my entire shoulder and shoulder blade area, and made fatigue last the entire time. I was lethargic and couldn't stay awake. You couldn't "pop the zit" or else it wouldn't work. You couldn't get it wet either. You had to wait for it to naturally go down and scab off.

I promise you'll be fine.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:44 pm TT, I've had 7 anthrax shots, 3 Japanese Encephalitis shots, 5 or so Typhoid shots, and the worst of them all, the Small Pox shot.

The latter literally took 3 weeks to go from incubation to vaccinated. It started off as a pimple on your shoulder, grew to a half dollar sized pimple, created extreme redness on my entire shoulder and shoulder blade area, and made fatigue last the entire time. I was lethargic and couldn't stay awake. You couldn't "pop the zit" or else it wouldn't work. You couldn't get it wet either. You had to wait for it to naturally go down and scab off.

I promise you'll be fine.
Damn, Johnnie!

And, I'm getting my second vaccination shot for shingles (Shingrix) next Tuesday. The first one left me under the weather for two days! But, it's better than getting shingles. I feel the same way about getting a Covid vaccine when my turn comes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Got poked today. I also get the flu vaccine every year. TT, I get your concern, but we have decades of vaccine research and experience. They aren’t operating in a vacuum with this stuff.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm Got poked today. I also get the flu vaccine every year. TT, I get your concern, but we have decades of vaccine research and experience. They aren’t operating in a vacuum with this stuff.
You getting the Covid vaccine any time soon?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 pm Sure, its not a typical rollout, but you're still mirroring a HS educated housewife in the 1950s in terms of putting your own knowledge on par with that of medical professionals and researchers. And "not everyone assumes their own risk" here given that immunocompromised people can't get vaccinated and rely on everyone else to keep them safe.
I don't know what to tell you except that I'm not making my vaccine choices for other people man. It sucks for immunocompromised people. I only get one life. A year ago Covid didn't exist in the public conscience and now you want me to trust a vaccine big pharma cranked out? I don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to know businesses lie for money. Tell me what are the 1 year 3 year and 5 year metrics on these vaccines and their risk rates?

You can't make an educated decision right now because the information doesn't exist yet. I get that yall feel differently about it, but considering all of the different things that have been said about this vaccine and efficiency and what benefits it provides, and hearing scientists on TV saying there is a ton we don't know and understand about covid yet I'm not really feeling the urge to play guinea pig with myself. Yall let me know how that works out for you. It's funny to me that I'm the only one on this board worried about it but a significant percentage of people offered it are declining it. It's almost like 2 people can look at the same set of facts and evaluate risk differently. I don't know, I'll look at it again in 6 months
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:18 pm
Square Rob wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm Got poked today. I also get the flu vaccine every year. TT, I get your concern, but we have decades of vaccine research and experience. They aren’t operating in a vacuum with this stuff.
When I said ‘got poked today’ I was trying to indicate that yes, I got the shot.

TT, I know it won’t change your mind but we absolutely can make educated and informed decisions about the vaccine. We have decades of information about the way vaccines work, and the potential impacts of them. Even in this case, it’s not like it’s a completely new type and concept. I used the flu vaccine as an example for a reason; each year they make a completely new one, and design it to fight which variants they think will be the most prevalent. So each year it’s a new vaccine for which we don’t have years to test out. And we know what to expect from it. It’s safe.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:18 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:18 pm
When I said ‘got poked today’ I was trying to indicate that yes, I got the shot.

TT, I know it won’t change your mind but we absolutely can make educated and informed decisions about the vaccine. We have decades of information about the way vaccines work, and the potential impacts of them. Even in this case, it’s not like it’s a completely new type and concept. I used the flu vaccine as an example for a reason; each year they make a completely new one, and design it to fight which variants they think will be the most prevalent. So each year it’s a new vaccine for which we don’t have years to test out. And we know what to expect from it. It’s safe.
Given your proclivities and floor work at the factory, it was a fair question.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

At least we can be sure that steve won't whine about the fact that no one got/appreciated his joke.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:18 amWhen I said ‘got poked today’ I was trying to indicate that yes, I got the shot.
I thought it might be a Wyoming football reference.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 am
Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:18 amWhen I said ‘got poked today’ I was trying to indicate that yes, I got the shot.
I contain multitudes
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:03 am
Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 am
I contain multitudes
Of dick.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 am At least we can be sure that steve won't whine about the fact that no one got/appreciated his joke.
Yes. Saved by AB.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

My joke awareness levels aren’t always fully tuned at 4am.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 am At least we can be sure that steve won't whine about the fact that no one got/appreciated his joke.
[links, from memory, to a post in 2015 when Rass also whined because no one got his joke]
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah f big pharma. I'm gonna hold out for the craft, small batch, organic varieties from artisanal producers.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This whole thread...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude