tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

On the plus side, this means I can get a vaccine sooner.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:12 amI don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to know businesses lie for money.
You take this leap of faith every single day when you "eat food" or "drink water" or "walk into a building" or ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:12 amI don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to know businesses lie for money.
You do to assume that multiple corps around the globe and all the regulatory bodies and scientific orgs from countries all over the world are in on the con.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am
You take this leap of faith every single day when you "eat food" or "drink water" or "walk into a building" or ...
Yes, businesses lie for money. But there are near-armies of class-action lawyers.

Still, though. If TT's choice is fundamentally driven by serious anxiety, that's legit also. You can't explain someone out of their anxiety, and it's not worth forcing someone to go through it unless it is really really necessary. And one person getting vaccinated isn't that level of importance.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

My sister's been getting on my mom - who is an evangelical Christian - about getting the vaccine. Here's my mom's "logic" for not getting it:
I don’t want to disappoint you or fail you in any way but I do not trust it. I have heard things about it I don’t approve of. Someone told me that it has fetal tissue in it. I don’t believe in abortion or the use of fetus’s. It’s disrespectful to human life. I believe in having faith that God will take care of us, He has taken care of me for years. I have to have faith that he will continue that
Fine. I'm going to tell her it's her choice. But she'll have to live with the consequences, and that includes never seeing me again.

I also find the "disrespectful to human life" comment atrocious. Apparently it isn't disrespectful to have a means of not spreading a potentially fatal virus and then do nothing to prevent that spread.

But hey, Jesus.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 am Yeah f big pharma. I'm gonna hold out for the craft, small batch, organic varieties from artisanal producers.
After hanging out on zoom I’ve got a whole new appreciation for the wit and wisdom of PDX
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 am If TT's choice is fundamentally driven by serious anxiety, that's legit also. You can't explain someone out of their anxiety
I agree with this.
And one person getting vaccinated isn't that level of importance.
And that can explain away a sizable amount of the population that doesn't want to participate in alleviating a public health crisis, both to their own detriment and the public at large. They're all 'individuals'.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:54 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 am Yeah f big pharma. I'm gonna hold out for the craft, small batch, organic varieties from artisanal producers.
After hanging out on zoom I’ve got a whole new appreciation for the wit and wisdom of PDX
Thanks teammate!

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I took my 79yo dad to get his first shot today. He was one of those, "I wish I could give it to you instead, but if it's my turn, I'll take it."
My 66yo mother-in-law with various types of cancer was able to get hers on Friday, even though she's been given 6-24 mos. to live.
My 60yo stepmother-in-law refuses to get it, even though she works in a long-term care facility and was diagnosed in April last year with getting COVID, because she felt something "drip from my around my brain onto the back of my eyeball" years ago when she got a flu shot.
Guess which one won't be seeing their granddaughters anytime soon.

Earlier in the week this was going to turn into a rant post because a few of my friends in their late 30s, early 40s, who are not essential workers, found a loophole in the very poor Pennsylvania rollout that if they are considered "obese" by BMI, they can jump the line. They were all able to make appointments to get theirs while the above-mentioned people weren't able to make appointments because they're not as internet savvy. I'm glad they're all getting the vaccine, but I found it kind of shitty of them at the same time, mainly because while I'm sure some of them wish they could lose a few pounds, there are absolutely none of them that I would consider obese and/or a serious health risk.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:09 pm I took my 79yo dad to get his first shot today. He was one of those, "I wish I could give it to you instead, but if it's my turn, I'll take it."
My 66yo mother-in-law with various types of cancer was able to get hers on Friday, even though she's been given 6-24 mos. to live.
My 60yo stepmother-in-law refuses to get it, even though she works in a long-term care facility and was diagnosed in April last year with getting COVID, because she felt something "drip from my around my brain onto the back of my eyeball" years ago when she got a flu shot.
Guess which one won't be seeing their granddaughters anytime soon.

Earlier in the week this was going to turn into a rant post because a few of my friends in their late 30s, early 40s, who are not essential workers, found a loophole in the very poor Pennsylvania rollout that if they are considered "obese" by BMI, they can jump the line. They were all able to make appointments to get theirs while the above-mentioned people weren't able to make appointments because they're not as internet savvy. I'm glad they're all getting the vaccine, but I found it kind of shitty of them at the same time, mainly because while I'm sure some of them wish they could lose a few pounds, there are absolutely none of them that I would consider obese and/or a serious health risk.
I got into a minor argument with my wife over the BMI thing. In NJ, it says if you have or had any of the following conditions, and BMI is on there. By BMI standards, I was formerly obese. I felt wrong getting into the medical danger group, so I answered no. She wanted me to go back and change it. I wouldn’t be lying, but really? I had a high weight to height ratio years ago, so I can get in line with people with legit medical comorbidities? Just felt wrong.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 am I'm not testing a bit. I don't trust giant pharma companies that cranked out a vaccine in record time...I also have made it this far without it. Add into it my anxiety about weird drug interactions and I'm all set on it, especially since just mitigates symptoms and doesn't change the mask/social distsnce/ability to be infected...why exactly would I risk it?
With modern medical technology focusing 100% of energy and resources on it, I'm surprised it took this long to crank it out. We do a lot of things in record time when there is a vehemently pressing need.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 am
TT2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 am I'm not testing a bit. I don't trust giant pharma companies that cranked out a vaccine in record time...I also have made it this far without it. Add into it my anxiety about weird drug interactions and I'm all set on it, especially since just mitigates symptoms and doesn't change the mask/social distsnce/ability to be infected...why exactly would I risk it?
With modern medical technology focusing 100% of energy and resources on it, I'm surprised it took this long to crank it out. We do a lot of things in record time when there is a vehemently pressing need.
And the majority of the time was spent in testing, not engineering the vaccine. Moderna had it ready in like July, right?
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 am
And the majority of the time was spent in testing, not engineering the vaccine. Moderna had it ready in like July, right?
I think so. That's because they were using processes they had used before to create vaccines against other viruses - maybe even other Coronaviruses?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 am
A_B wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:11 pmI was getting that response either way right?
No. I'm not unique, but people who change their views because now it affects them infuriate me. Like I knew a guy in college who was against gay marriage but conceded if he had a gay child maybe he'd reconsider. And Nancy Reagan and stem cells. The worst.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TT, here's a quick video you can watch about the vaccine and how it works:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 am
I think so. That's because they were using processes they had used before to create vaccines against other viruses - maybe even other Coronaviruses?
Yes, the mRNA vaccine has been on ongoing process for more than 20 years, IIRC. Nobody has ever made a successful coronavirus vaccine, because most corona viruses aren't a threat, so there was never a need. SARS was a threat, but it died off so quickly, they didn't need a vaccine. The mRNA vaccines were ready to go, they just needed to decode the makeup of the protein that encases the COVID-19 virus. It took a few days for the Chinese to decode the virus DNA and the protein makeup, then they openly shared the info and it only took a few months to get the vaccine ready.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Aaugh. Sooo, today I received my second Shingles vaccination. The nurse told me not to get any other vaccinations for two weeks. Theeen, I got an email later today telling me I can get my Covid vaccine shot this Thursday. I’m afraid that if I pass, I won’t get another opportunity soon. So... do I go for it?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 pm Aaugh. Sooo, today I received my second Shingles vaccination. The nurse told me not to get any other vaccinations for two weeks. Theeen, I got an email later today telling me I can get my Covid vaccine shot this Thursday. I’m afraid that if I pass, I won’t get another opportunity soon. So... do I go for it?
Best check for potential side effects from combining the two.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not the same but I lied in the drug trial about getting the flu vaccine less than 2 weeks prior so I wouldn't be excluded. Nothing bad happened. From a study if one with a different vaccine (that I intended to get but was refused without a prescription because I wasn't 50 despite getting shingles last year) you'll be fine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 pm Aaugh. Sooo, today I received my second Shingles vaccination. The nurse told me not to get any other vaccinations for two weeks. Theeen, I got an email later today telling me I can get my Covid vaccine shot this Thursday. I’m afraid that if I pass, I won’t get another opportunity soon. So... do I go for it?
Maybe I'm being naive, but that sounds like something your PCP should help you with.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"I'm in Haiti, I am never coming back, what's the worst that could happen?"
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:24 am
Maybe I'm being naive, but that sounds like something your PCP should help you with.
Definitely request a zoom chat with your PCP. The nurse’s advice is boilerplate likely meant to protect the recent vaccination’s efficacy.

These scenarios are discussed and are likely part of a FAQ that healthcare providers have access to. Call your PCP.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My parents finally got appointments for dose 1 down in DE.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

March 17 for the parents. Light at the end of the tunnel.

It's amazing how much my mood has improved in the last few weeks watching numbers ebb and vaccines roll. It's gonna take a lot of therapy to process the last 12 months.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 amIt's amazing how much my mood has improved in the last few weeks watching numbers ebb and vaccines roll. It's gonna take a lot of therapy to process the last 12 months.
Each day in the US, more people are gaining immunity than have died throughout the whole pandemic. So yeah, I think we're going to be feeling near-giddy with relief as the next few weeks go by.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah but. It's 70+ degrees here and I've noticed the hesitancy is waning. Way more cars in lots last night. Spring break next week and caution is slipping. Don't like it yet. Numbers definitely tending though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

To close the loop - I spoke to my PCP’s nurse, and she told me to absolutely wait at least two weeks after my (second) shingles shot to get my covid shot. So I opted out. Hope I can easily get back in line in a couple weeks.

btw, just like after my first shingles shot, I feel like shit right now. I hope Iz the pig isn’t too much of an asshole when I go to feed him this evening.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 pmbtw, just like after my first shingles shot, I feel like shit right now. I hope Iz the pig isn’t too much of an asshole when I go to feed him this evening.
Bring two beers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am MIL (high risk due to heart conditions) had said she didn't want one. signed at 3 different places. got the first round on saturday.
parents were told by Hopkins even though my father is at high risk due to various conditions, that they should look elsewhere because JHU doesn't have enough. my father will not sign up for the Giant or CVS shots. doesn't trust it, so there's that.
we're on the list in nj - nothing yet.. although know plenty of people around town who already got their first dose.
my father got shot #1 today - over at Suburban in Bethesda. my mom still waiting to get called. i've been getting pinged by RWJ for the past four days telling me that appointments are now being made and i'll get called soon.

in the meantime, scotch.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

One of my good friends and his wife got stuck today. She is an extremely anxious person, and their youngest son goes back to school in two weeks and she has been worried sick about him bringing it home with him. SO they found a spot THREE HOURS away and drove and got the vaccine. Buddy said it will be worth it just to calm her down. Plus, now that they are in the system they can get the second dose here if they are available whenever the time is up.

They just made appointments with a walgreens and met no resistance. Although, they both work in industries that are considered "essential" so no one gave them any grief. Said they didn't have many people on the sign up list, either, so they didn't feel like they were taking the shots away from more at risk people.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

One of the anti-vax protestors at Dodger Stadium had a sign that blamed Hank Aaron’s death on the vaccine.

My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Is that Vince Coleman?

And welcome back, Keg! It's been years, man!
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just got an email that a colleague and friend died this AM. Apparently Covid.

I am devastated. I will miss Terry very much. She was good people.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear bengal.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Relatedly, if you have a chance at a shot, fucking get the shot.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry to hear, TB.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.