Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Reaper »

Today is the first day I'm eligible (1C in PA) and I'm set up for Wednesday morning for some one-stop shotting (J&J) at the grocery store pharmacy. Which feels good after opening of little league for the two little ones and lots more (masked) people than I've been around in a while.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So yesterday morning my son was the AR on a U-16 gals soccer game at a local high school. Parents, officials, etc all roll up in masks. Parent spread out in the bleachers to watch (same as the games at the local park the day before he worked). My wife and I decide to go hit tennis balls so we did not have to go back and forth to pick him up. On the outdoor hoops court the local Latin Dance Workout was blaring music and folks spread out as they huffed and puffed (my wife was pissed at how loud the music was...I enjoyed it). Everyone of those folks came with a mask, spread out, etc. There was also a middle school and younger softball event going on. Not a single girl or parent had a mask. No social distancing in the dugout or by parents. The umps look to be 60 on the young side and no masks. Sterotyping based on vehicles (monster american SUVs and luxury pickup trucks), this was a fairly trump/republican heavy crowd. But man it was something. Parents in lawn chairs just pilled up next to each other.....

Also club/travel softball parents are THE WORST. Why do you need to have a monster speaker to blare music as you walk back to your SUV? Okay if you want to have walk up/warm up music, but this person was doing it to "celebrate" a win or maybe blare out the latin dance hip hop.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great.

Not to downplay those who had an adverse reaction, but this isn't going to help with the larger issue of people refusing to get dosed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My 18-48 female wife will be very excited to see this as soon as the J&J vaccine side effects subside and she feels good enough to look at her phone!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Literally one in a million.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s not quite that, because only a subset is affected, but yeah. This is going to do infinitely more damage in terms of vaccine fears.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife's HD just got their first shipment of J&J recently and spent most of the day yesterday planning out their first set of visits to homebound residents later this week. So that's off.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 am Wife's HD just got their first shipment of J&J recently and spent most of the day yesterday planning out their first set of visits to homebound residents later this week. So that's off.
They're not pulling it as I understand, just cautioning at this point.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:24 am Great.

Not to downplay those who had an adverse reaction, but this isn't going to help with the larger issue of people refusing to get dosed.
If we have to stop the world every time women have irregular bleeding...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 am
rass wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:08 am Wife's HD just got their first shipment of J&J recently and spent most of the day yesterday planning out their first set of visits to homebound residents later this week. So that's off.
They're not pulling it as I understand, just cautioning at this point.
The Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control will stop using the vaccine at federal sites and urge states to do so as well while they examine the safety issues.
This Thursday's appointments are off.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh no syb
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm boy's track teammate (same training pod) tested positive twice( rapid & PCR) - kid out of school and track practice/meets until the 19th. interestingly enough, no one in the kid's family tested positive, and of course no symptoms. track coach already emailed explaining how the pods are set up and hoping all is well, and if so, get out and run.

boy's quarantining at home -- at least its the new house, so more space to stay away.

soccer club said as soon as he gets a negative test he's allowed back.

We're keeping him home for the weekend so he'll miss the away game vs Union SC(he has a PCR test on Saturday - recommended by the school nurse to wait until then instead of today or tomorrow).

he isn't too big to be sad and asked for hugs. he is in generally good spirits and so far does not have any symptoms. Mrs is a bit freaked out (she also hasn't gotten vaxxed, i'm at least halfway there)
PS - Syb, don't share.
PCR test on saturday was negative. he's allowed back at soccer training. not allowed back in school until a next monday -he's scheduled for thursday for second test.
now if we could only get him to turn his homework in.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 am
elflaco2 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm boy's track teammate (same training pod) tested positive twice( rapid & PCR) - kid out of school and track practice/meets until the 19th. interestingly enough, no one in the kid's family tested positive, and of course no symptoms. track coach already emailed explaining how the pods are set up and hoping all is well, and if so, get out and run.

boy's quarantining at home -- at least its the new house, so more space to stay away.

soccer club said as soon as he gets a negative test he's allowed back.

We're keeping him home for the weekend so he'll miss the away game vs Union SC(he has a PCR test on Saturday - recommended by the school nurse to wait until then instead of today or tomorrow).

he isn't too big to be sad and asked for hugs. he is in generally good spirits and so far does not have any symptoms. Mrs is a bit freaked out (she also hasn't gotten vaxxed, i'm at least halfway there)
PS - Syb, don't share.
PCR test on saturday was negative. he's allowed back at soccer training. not allowed back in school until a next monday -he's scheduled for thursday for second test.
now if we could only get him to turn his homework in.
Good news, glad to hear it.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's good.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 am
rass wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:24 am Great.

If we have to stop the world every time women have irregular bleeding...
TT needs to send you money for that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 am It’s not quite that, because only a subset is affected, but yeah. This is going to do infinitely more damage in terms of vaccine fears.
Facts and all. I'm still trying to vaccinate the kids. Work around is say theyre 18. Playing the guess when fda approves pfizer for 12+ and set appointment in advance for the prepubescent boy. Georgia is officially awash in vaccines. More available than folks who want it. Figure that might change for a week or two when green light for kids.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just finished my son's theoretical last day of school at home this year (daughter has chosen to stay home the remainder of the year). He will have his normal Thursday-Friday at school, then his school starts with five days a week in class on Monday. When they first announced April 19 as the first day of daily in-school classes, it was presented as "the beginning of the fourth marking period", but my brain immediately went to "two weeks after the first day back from spring break". District hasn't had any positive test results since during the break itself, but still three school days to throw a wrench in the plan.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am Just finished my son's theoretical last day of school at home this year (daughter has chosen to stay home the remainder of the year). He will have his normal Thursday-Friday at school, then his school starts with five days a week in class on Monday. When they first announced April 19 as the first day of daily in-school classes, it was presented as "the beginning of the fourth marking period", but my brain immediately went to "two weeks after the first day back from spring break". District hasn't had any positive test results since during the break itself, but still three school days to throw a wrench in the plan.
Our entire district went to everyone back in school (opt out remote still an option). Elementary wen back a few weeks ago. My wife dropped the kids off, one high school one middle school, and she said it was chaos, kids everywhere. They are still doing the half day to avoid kids eating in school. I'll be shocked if we don't see a major spike in cases. A little odd on the timing, since healthy people under 55 aren't eligible for vaccines until next week. My wife was really pissed, as they announced the elimination of cohorts a few weeks before they announced they are making everyone over 16 eligible. Seems dangerous to double the number of kids in school when a huge number of parents aren't eligible for the vaccine. OTOH, in talking to people around town, I think most parents, eligible or not, have already gotten at least their first dose, and many of the megasites are pleasing for everyone over 16 to walk in with no appointment because they have more vaccines than appointments.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Our elementary school has been full-time in person for a few months - but at least they gave teachers vaccination priority.

My daughter just returned to in-person high school last week, for the last two months of her senior year. I think she'd rather stay home, but she has yoga and ceramics classes.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Our elementary school has been full-time in person for a few months - but at least they gave teachers vaccination priority.

My daughter just returned to in-person high school last week, for the last two months of her senior year. I think she'd rather stay home, but she has yoga and ceramics classes.
Just buy a kiln for the house so she can stay remote!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Our elementary school has been full-time in person for a few months - but at least they gave teachers vaccination priority.

Gotta watch out for ghosts, though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Heh. If I had used that propane flamethrower thing to melt that icicle, I probably would've done just that.

More seriously, I'm glad she's going in to school again. I don't think it's good for her to spend that time alone in her dark bedroom barely paying attention to the Zoom lecture.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pretty good prep for the working world.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

School corp where the wife teaches and kids attend had planned for all teachers to be back in the classroom the first day back from spring break. Even those teaching virtual students. The wife and the other virtual teachers joined together and sent some very passionate emails to the superintendent. He decided not to make them attend everyday, except for Fridays so they can attend meetings (that they could attend remotely). It was under the guise of getting them acclimated back to being in school. These men and women are professionals that have been teaching from between 10 years to 35 years. Pretty sure they fucking now how to get acclimated to a classroom after summer vacation.

Well the superintendent decided not only mandate Friday attendance. There are no kids in schools on Fridays, but all of the virtual teachers still have class on Friday. The teachers that have been hybrid all year do not. So now my wife and others will have to attend pointless meetings in person and still teach their students. It is some major bullshit.

Thanks for listening.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:49 am

Gotta watch out for ghosts, though.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

duff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 amHe decided not to make them attend everyday, except for Fridays so they can attend meetings (that they could attend remotely). It was under the guise of getting them acclimated back to being in school.
I feel like so much of this back-to-the-classroom stuff is either listening to the loudest whining parents or wanting to check an "I GOT THEM BACK IN" box and has nothing to do with education (or safety, obv) at all.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:17 am
duff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 amHe decided not to make them attend everyday, except for Fridays so they can attend meetings (that they could attend remotely). It was under the guise of getting them acclimated back to being in school.
I feel like so much of this back-to-the-classroom stuff is either listening to the loudest whining parents or wanting to check an "I GOT THEM BACK IN" box and has nothing to do with education (or safety, obv) at all.
And money from the state. Virtual students will only get 85% of the allotted amount next year. Gotta get all da money!!!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

School year is a lost cause if youre still debating now. Id say find the safest way to get the kids back for a couple weeks just so they dont waste a couple months in the fall dealing with protocols for the first time. Lost learning for this year will have a big impact on kids going forward into adulthood. I look at all the stuff my kid learned in math this year and what he didnt really learn remotely and then compare that what most kids that arent as privileged got... its going to be tough. Standardized testing outcomes alone, much less the more important matters. About to have to lay off an absolutely driven and intelligent girl cause she cant hack it enough on the LSAT to get in somewhere. That stuff is $$$
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think a ton of higher learning folks are going to permanently dump standardized tests (ACT/SAT) like a lot of folks have done the last 2 cycles.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:17 am
Could not have said it better
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 pm I think a ton of higher learning folks are going to permanently dump standardized tests (ACT/SAT) like a lot of folks have done the last 2 cycles.
I may be mistaken, but MI plans to do away with their state standardized testing in the upcoming year(s). Friend of ours that lives right across the state line sent my wife an email.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

duff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 pm I think a ton of higher learning folks are going to permanently dump standardized tests (ACT/SAT) like a lot of folks have done the last 2 cycles.
I may be mistaken, but MI plans to do away with their state standardized testing in the upcoming year(s). Friend of ours that lives right across the state line sent my wife an email.
We made them optional for the next few years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm Meanwhile in our school district...
Thank you for the reminder on why I continue to pay insane NJ taxes and cost of living. It amazes that even living in a Republican town, EVERYONE wears masks, even hiking in the woods.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:00 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm Meanwhile in our school district...
Thank you for the reminder on why I continue to pay insane NJ taxes and cost of living. It amazes that even living in a Republican town, EVERYONE wears masks, even hiking in the woods.
To be fair, a) I live in a blue county and b) these people are treated as jokes by most. My community is very much pro-teacher and teachers hate this woman.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They claim its tyranny to make their kids wear masks and that's why they haven't sent them back. I've periodically asked my oldest if they ever have issues with kids not wearing masks at school. Her response, giving me a glimpse into her teenage years, is always a smartass no. The first time I asked she said "no, because we don't want to spread corona). A 9-year-old with more sense than some adults. Even the biggest jackass future psychopath 2nd grade terror at our bus stop doesn't whine about it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm
This was a fucking godsend for us. My daughter got very good grades, but she is not good at these tests. But this year the U of U didn't require an ACT or SAT score, so she was able to get in.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 pm They claim its tyranny to make their kids wear masks and that's why they haven't sent them back. I've periodically asked my oldest if they ever have issues with kids not wearing masks at school. Her response, giving me a glimpse into her teenage years, is always a smartass no. The first time I asked she said "no, because we don't want to spread corona). A 9-year-old with more sense than some adults. Even the biggest jackass future psychopath 2nd grade terror at our bus stop doesn't whine about it.

Sounds like Douglas County, CO. I'm surrounded by idiots here.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm
This was a fucking godsend for us. My daughter got very good grades, but she is not good at these tests. But this year the U of U didn't require an ACT or SAT score, so she was able to get in.
It was. Long time ago but I went to school with a bunch of people that this cost them. Most of them ended up somewhere but sometimes it was a Juco first. Hell I flamed out and ended up getting two associates before finishing at UK.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm
It was. Long time ago but I went to school with a bunch of people that this cost them. Most of them ended up somewhere but sometimes it was a Juco first. Hell I flamed out and ended up getting two associates before finishing at UK.
Yeah I’d already assumed she’d be going the junior college route. Which probably wouldn’t have been that bad in practice, but my instinctive academic snobbishness would’ve seen that as a failure for us.