Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B »

So say your governor asked anyone who has been to New York In the past 14 days to stay home for 14 days from when you were there. Then say someone was in say, Bayonne New Jersey and spent more than a short period of time in a convenience store. You think that person should tell his(or her!) boss he (or she!) will need to work from home?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not unless New Jersey is part of New York?

But if you’re trying to get some home time could probably it’s close enough.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm Not unless New Jersey is part of New York?

Well it was literally the first exit across the line I think. I don’t particularly want home time because I’m terrible at working from home.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm
brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 pm Not unless New Jersey is part of New York?

Well it was literally the first exit across the line I think. I don’t particularly want home time because I’m terrible at working from home.
I don't think you even need anything quite so elaborate these days. A "scratchy throat" ought to suffice.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm So say your governor asked anyone who has been to New York In the past 14 days to stay home for 14 days from when you were there. Then say someone was in say, Bayonne New Jersey and spent more than a short period of time in a convenience store. You think that person should tell his(or her!) boss he (or she!) will need to work from home?
I can hear the train whistle from my house. I sit here all day, every whistle makes me shutter as I know a trainload of people are coming to my town from NYC. Fuck, they need to close all the bridges, tunnels and trains. Keep those virus-ridden big city slickers out of my suburban utopia!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I read ridership is down 88% on M&E. Which means there are a few open seats now hahahahahahaha!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here comes the surge...

13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital
In several hours on Tuesday, Dr. Ashley Bray performed chest compressions at Elmhurst Hospital Center on a woman in her 80s, a man in his 60s and a 38-year-old who reminded the doctor of her fiancé. All had tested positive for the coronavirus and had gone into cardiac arrest. All eventually died.

Elmhurst, a 545-bed public hospital in Queens, has begun transferring patients not suffering from coronavirus to other facilities as it moves toward becoming one dedicated entirely to the outbreak. Doctors and nurses have struggled to make do with a few dozen ventilators. Calls over a loudspeaker of “Team 700,” the code for when a patient is on the verge of death, come several times a shift. Some have died inside the emergency room while waiting for a bed.

A refrigerated truck has been stationed outside to hold the bodies of the dead. Over the past 24 hours, New York City’s public hospital system said in a statement, 13 people at Elmhurst had died.

“It’s apocalyptic,” said Dr. Bray, 27, a general medicine resident at the hospital.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:36 pm
Completely incapable of not being an ass.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:36 pm
Completely incapable of not being an ass.
Complete sociopath. Incapable of showing any empathy for anyone else.

Has he expressed any sympathy to any of the victims of the virus so far?
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm EYYY LOOK AT DA FUCKIN' COMEDIANS SPELLING OUT WHERE THE JOKE-AH HAS A FLAW EYYY!!!
Ends in an A so this joke shops on odd numbered days.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:47 pm So say your governor asked anyone who has been to New York In the past 14 days to stay home for 14 days from when you were there. Then say someone was in say, Bayonne New Jersey and spent more than a short period of time in a convenience store. You think that person should tell his(or her!) boss he (or she!) will need to work from home?
‘More than a short period of time’ is one way to put it. I told you to quit sucking dick in random gas station bathrooms Aaron.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This sounds like a terroristic threat:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bill text
https://apps.npr.org/documents/document ... -CARES-ACT

Seems like I get a potential 10,000 loan that can have repayment waived to the extent of payroll, rent and utilities. Don't think I will bother with a full sba loan. Question is are ees better off getting the unemployment bonus or staying employed?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am This sounds like a terroristic threat:

This is absolutely reasonable. In fact I expect that government to help us with this. Yet somehow folks are bitching and pointing fingers at ideas.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh yes, entirely reasonable. Lets propose we start in reverse wealth order and see if that's accepted.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Voluntary.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Let's hear out the unlicensed dermatologist and the message board buddy.

(tweet above leaves out that the original article refers to it as the "Wuhan Virus")
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 am Question is are ees better off getting the unemployment bonus or staying employed?
I would think that even for the small percentage who get more from the expanded unemployment benefits than they were making at work, the value of that delta is greatly outweighed by the cost, stress and uncertainty of having to find a new job in the not very distant future.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. Think so to but definitely calculations that are going through their heads and mine. Not highly compensated folks.

Eta:. You have to factor in the benefit of not working (eg no child care payment) and possible under the table income or income from a new cash business/side hustle one might startup. I would have passed it too but those handful of folks weren't wrong about skewed incentives.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Also just a matter of time before someone industrious gets ventilators and docs shipped to Vail (with bailout funding) so the rich can hoard supplies and get the virus in luxurious environments with the best possible outcomes on their own timeline. But hey, attack the republican.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Twitter Blocks Article Promoting ‘Chickenpox Parties’ to Stop the Coronavirus
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

No 10 accused of putting 'Brexit over breathing' in Covid-19 ventilator row
The UK has instead chosen to source ventilators from British manufacturers who have never made the products before, ordering 10,000 machines from the household appliance firm Dyson.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Inevitable. With an all time cringe line to boot.

Air Force basic trainee tests positive for COVID-19
“This virus is obviously highly contagious, but, so is strong, calm leadership."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"No cure for dumbfuckery."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Holy shit.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 am

This is absolutely reasonable. In fact I expect that government to help us with this. Yet somehow folks are bitching and pointing fingers at ideas.
There’s no science that says you can only get infected ONCE.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Stay at home in effect for NH now effective Friday night.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'll be honest, I've made a few trips out this week, once to the store to pick up groceries, and I've played disc golf 3 times.

There's a huge debate in the community because the PDGA has shut down and emailed it's members encouraging them to stay home. I believe it's mostly optics but I have to say I have mixed feelings. There's not a lot of data on how long this thing sticks around on surfaces in open air, and some believe it could hang around on baskets or plastics for a few days at most. I've been playing and trying to minimize my contact with the baskets, taking more gimmies, only handling my own equipment, and using hand sanitizer a few times per round. No high fives, no contact with other players. Am I the asshole here? I've got so much anxiety about this thing it's keeping me up nights and I'm a healthy 33 yo. I've had no contact with anyone other than my wife and my one buddy I play disc golf (and today a friend of his) with (save 2 trips to the grocery) in 11 days. But then I scroll Twitter in the evenings and see 38 year old doctor dies, so and so dies, someone died in NYC every 6 minutes from this thing yesterday.

I know this is serious. I know the pressure to stay put. But surely this is about the most minimal risk I can take for my sanity possible, right? Or am I justifying my behavior in a selfish manner? I'm almost more concerned for my psyche sitting at home for another month not doing anything, but again I know you could look at that as selfish ass behavior. How do you balance managing this and living in complete fear and isolation?

Sorry for the wall, just needed to vent.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I had to hit the grocery store today, which is the first time I've been in public for 7-8 days. My wife hasn't been anywhere in two full weeks. If anyone in this area is socializing, its "a thing", but we're also pretty much inside the radius of east coast ground zero so we're further along right now than I assume you are. A week or two weeks from now you'll probably think of present day you as dumb, but I imagine unless your area is spared, this sort of thing is bound to have a weird before/after factor. Like in a non-dramatic way, this is life changing from a standpoint of having never been in a mass quarantine situation with schools closed, groceries stores half empty, all that. My personal switch didn't flip until probably last Monday; before that it was life as semi-normal.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think there's any problem with going for walks and what not. But disc golf involves everyone touching a common object on every hole, right? That seems like a bad idea. At best, it's bad optics. Unless they leave a can of Lysol or something by every basket for a spray down before or after every player.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

We're gonna need some guidance as to what is and is not ok outside. Any minimal breeze has to dissapate the virus I would think. I didn't appreciate the heavy breathing runner that wouldnt step into the street while the fam was walking around the neighborhood.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm I don't think there's any problem with going for walks and what not. But disc golf involves everyone touching a common object on every hole, right? That seems like a bad idea. At best, it's bad optics. Unless they leave a can of Lysol or something by every basket for a spray down before or after every player.
Golf courses are raising the cups out of the hole. If it hits it, it counts.

(Thanks, sabo!)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm I'll be honest, I've made a few trips out this week, once to the store to pick up groceries, and I've played disc golf 3 times.

There's a huge debate in the community because the PDGA has shut down and emailed it's members encouraging them to stay home. I believe it's mostly optics but I have to say I have mixed feelings. There's not a lot of data on how long this thing sticks around on surfaces in open air, and some believe it could hang around on baskets or plastics for a few days at most. I've been playing and trying to minimize my contact with the baskets, taking more gimmies, only handling my own equipment, and using hand sanitizer a few times per round. No high fives, no contact with other players. Am I the asshole here? I've got so much anxiety about this thing it's keeping me up nights and I'm a healthy 33 yo. I've had no contact with anyone other than my wife and my one buddy I play disc golf (and today a friend of his) with (save 2 trips to the grocery) in 11 days. But then I scroll Twitter in the evenings and see 38 year old doctor dies, so and so dies, someone died in NYC every 6 minutes from this thing yesterday.

I know this is serious. I know the pressure to stay put. But surely this is about the most minimal risk I can take for my sanity possible, right? Or am I justifying my behavior in a selfish manner? I'm almost more concerned for my psyche sitting at home for another month not doing anything, but again I know you could look at that as selfish ass behavior. How do you balance managing this and living in complete fear and isolation?

Sorry for the wall, just needed to vent.
I would find it acceptable if you played solo/with your wife and never touched a basket unless the disc landed in it when you didn't have a legitimate expectation of it. You've now been in contact with everyone your friend has been in contact with and all the people that person has been in contact with, etc. But, you have to decide what your acceptable level of risk is, for you, for the people you are around, and for society at large.

I understand the need for normal stuff in life. My wife went to the grocery store today and the only "essential" thing she bought, if she bought it at all, was milk. Almost everything else she came home with was expressly to create some choice for our kids when it comes to eating so they are not in the same rut (Lunchables, a box of Crunch Berries, some fruit snacks, and other stuff we don't perpetually have on hand). They're not essential and neither is our upcoming pizza order, whenever we place it, but they do help with the mental aspect of things, which is a big part of this that we're all trying to figure out while it takes a seat way back in the back.

I was on a walk today and a jogger was coming up behind me on the same side of the road. Before she could get close, I moved over to the other side of the street, then waited until she was well past me before moving back to the proper side of the street. I don't know if she would have given a wide berth when she passed me, but I wasn't going to wait to find out, either (it's a service road that mostly feeds the high school, there was one car total on it today in a nearly one-mile stretch, so walking on the wrong side was not a factor). But, you have to decide what you are comfortable with.

There's no black and white right answer, I don't think, because even though we're all in this, everyone's situation is different.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm I don't think there's any problem with going for walks and what not. But disc golf involves everyone touching a common object on every hole, right? That seems like a bad idea. At best, it's bad optics. Unless they leave a can of Lysol or something by every basket for a spray down before or after every player.
I think a lot of this boils down to my lack of knowledge about how any of this works. If there is one virus (molecule? cell? node?) on something, and you touch that thing, what makes the virus transfer instead of staying? Is it a toss up? Do I have to inhale it? Rub it in my eye? Eat it? How much virus before I'm sick? How little virus is safe? How much more or less dangerous does a 5mph wind or a sunny day make the virus? I have a basic understanding of bacterial infection, but I don't understand anything about this.

My disc today came to rest in the bottom of probably steel baskets, with maybe a maximum of six points of contact. I also hit some chains a few times before it dropped in. I just don't know and it's driving me nuts. I'm going to have a very difficult time sitting inside with a straitjacket on and taking a walk once a day.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 pm
I think a lot of this boils down to my lack of knowledge about how any of this works. If there is one virus (molecule? cell? node?) on something, and you touch that thing, what makes the virus transfer instead of staying? Is it a toss up? Do I have to inhale it? Rub it in my eye? Eat it? How much virus before I'm sick? How little virus is safe? How much more or less dangerous does a 5mph wind or a sunny day make the virus? I have a basic understanding of bacterial infection, but I don't understand anything about this.

My disc today came to rest in the bottom of probably steel baskets, with maybe a maximum of six points of contact. I also hit some chains a few times before it dropped in. I just don't know and it's driving me nuts. I'm going to have a very difficult time sitting inside with a straitjacket on and taking a walk once a day.
From what I have seen, you have to inhale it or introduce it to a body opening, yes. That's why clean hands matter. If you touched something bad and touched your eyes/mouth/nose then yes you can introduce. Clean the hands often and this is reduced. And the 6 feet is apparently the accepted distance that airborne particles become safe.

I think if you sanitize if you have to get it out of the basket you're likely fine.*

* - I am not a doctor.
Last edited by A_B on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm We're gonna need some guidance as to what is and is not ok outside. Any minimal breeze has to dissapate the virus I would think. I didn't appreciate the heavy breathing runner that wouldnt step into the street while the fam was walking around the neighborhood.
Sorry about that. Running is the only thing keeping me sane and I assume it's good for the immune system, but there are so many awkward/concerning interactions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Out on my walk today and completely didn't notice the white woman coming my way and neither one of us made any effort to be any further away than the normal sidewalk. Then of course the next person behind her is a minority I made eye contact with immediately after, so of course I didn't move off the sidewalk then.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Walking around the 'hood every day, just to keep sane and get some exercise.

99 percent of everyone is moving up onto the yard or into the street when passing. I mentioned elsewhere, on nice days, the streets are pretty busy. But almost everyone is respecting the 6 foot distance thing.

My wife might go to a literal tailgate party this evening, where her friends are going to a parking lot, back their cars into a circle and just check-in and sip some wine from a distance. This is killing a lot of them who go for walks and have some wine 3-4 times a week. My wife isn't really that bothered by it, because she actually enjoys spending time with me. (not really joking - this is gonna be a really tough thing for some of these couples to get through.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:17 pm Walking around the 'hood every day, just to keep sane and get some exercise.

99 percent of everyone is moving up onto the yard or into the street when passing. I mentioned elsewhere, on nice days, the streets are pretty busy. But almost everyone is respecting the 6 foot distance thing.

My wife might go to a literal tailgate party this evening, where her friends are going to a parking lot, back their cars into a circle and just check-in and sip some wine from a distance. This is killing a lot of them who go for walks and have some wine 3-4 times a week. My wife isn't really that bothered by it, because she actually enjoys spending time with me. (not really joking - this is gonna be a really tough thing for some of these couples to get through.)
My wife and I spend 95% of our non-work life together I'd estimate. Most of our social engagements are with other couples. She does a Girls Night out thing with a few friends fairly regularly, and my time is probably golf/movies with a kid. But yes, I do know some people that aren't doing as well with the togetherness.