Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
I'm expecting this soon in Indy as well.
A little surprised it hasn't happened in Ohio yet, but the governor mentioned that possibility last week.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
That's basically what we've been doing since March, so I don't see a big change in our future.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am
That's basically what we've been doing since March, so I don't see a big change in our future.
Yeah, other than a couple of chain pizza and Olive Garden last night (Kid's 17th birthday and favorites are favorites!) we've been 95% smaller joints. Although I'd like to replace a few fast food meals with local as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does no one in the White House take this seriously?

It would be easier to track those who HAVEN'T tested positive.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm Does no one in the White House take this seriously?

Oh man, the doucheness on his Twitter profile

"Currently serving the American public as Special Assistant to President Donald J. Trump until January 20, 2025"
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm Does no one in the White House take this seriously?

Oh man, the doucheness on his Twitter profile

"Currently serving the American public as Special Assistant to President Donald J. Trump until January 20, 2025"
Especially when you consider his job consists of coordinating visits from championship teams. Which a) hasn't happened in almost a year, and b) most teams don't want anything to do with the Trump White House. Its not like he's leading nuclear arms talks or something.

And...he was at his father's meltdown news conference yesterday. I wonder how many people he infected.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

FREDO HAS THE COVID!

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm FREDO HAS THE COVID!

That should go in the totally fucking hilarious Capt Trips thread.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pmHow glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.

(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

FTR my wife does a mean rerun dance.
Once upon a time I had a website with the only image of a dancing Rerun on the internet.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pmHow glad are you that life took you away from there...

You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

Once upon a time I had a website with the only image of a dancing Rerun on the internet.
Is that something Guinness tracks or what?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

How are you not a billionaire?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Guess that's twice.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My youngest took a sabbatical from soccer this season, but someone on her team, or a player on the other team her team’s trainer works with, tested positive. The last game of the season (tomorrow) has been cancelled and all of the players have been told to quarantine for 14 days. Spent some time last night talking to the club and the coach and trainer trying to get them to specify when the last exposure was for the team so they know when the 14 days started. The club is also requiring a negative test from the players to return to practice which generally isn’t needed because it’s silly once you go through quarantine.

We were planning on having her train with them (outdoors) for the winter starting two weeks from today. She really needs both the physical and social activity.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This is great...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
If she was so great, how come she stopped fighting the Nazis before the job was done? Quitter!!!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
If she was so great, how come she stopped fighting the Nazis before the job was done? Quitter!!!
Is it just me, or does it seem really odd to honor someone executed by guillotine with a bust on the wall?

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

One thing you learn about Germans very quickly: they have no problem calling you on your shit in the moment.

It's a trait Americans should pick up. We tiptoe around things generally so as not to offend the party acting like a shitbag.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am One thing you learn about Germans very quickly: they have no problem calling you on your shit in the moment.

It's a trait Americans should pick up. We tiptoe around things generally so as not to offend the party acting like a shitbag.
Do they have a word for that?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am
Is it just me, or does it seem really odd to honor someone executed by guillotine with a bust on the wall?

Especially a head that looks so precariously perched. Maybe that was the artist's point?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can't find an explainer on Operation Warpspeed that answers this question, but I assume that even if Pfizer (or Moderna or anyone) get completely pantsed on a vaccine by someone who can make it more quickly, or more effective, or cheaper or easier to distribute, that as long as their end result meets some set of standards they get paid/reimbursed anyway?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm I can't find an explainer on Operation Warpspeed that answers this question, but I assume that even if Pfizer (or Moderna or anyone) get completely pantsed on a vaccine by someone who can make it more quickly, or more effective, or cheaper or easier to distribute, that as long as their end result meets some set of standards they get paid/reimbursed anyway?
This is my understanding.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.
Hasn't it also been responsible more-or-less for curing all the diseases we've cured?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm
Capitalism is a disease.
Hasn't it also been responsible more-or-less for curing all the diseases we've cured?
Jonas Salk made exact 0 dollars for the polio vaccine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm
Capitalism is a disease.
Jonas Salk made exact 0 dollars for the polio vaccine.
Too bad for him.

Do you happen to know if all the other steps to get from his lab to worldwide application was all done by non-profits and governments? Or was there private enterprise along the way?

(Also, that's great as far as polio goes, but I would bet most of the other cures we deal with had at least some private enterprise involvement,no?)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeesh. You keep waiting on those Mexican pharma R&D investments come through and deliver a shot at less than the $20-30 it is expected to cost. Shit they probably (definitely) couldnt come up with one for a million a pop.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

To Wear Their Masks, the Beards (and a Tradition) Had to Go
Tony Cammarata dreaded the news he had to deliver to his employees. They were not losing their jobs. They were not losing their perks.

They were losing their beards.

Cammarata, who oversees the ski patrol for an area in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver, had to clamp down on the facial hair so that the patrol could properly wear their N95 respirator masks for protection in the coronavirus pandemic.

But he knew this would be a tough measure to accept for the men on his crew (47 of the resort’s 56 patrollers). For the vast majority of them, beards and the ski patrol go together like snow and the mountains.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am To Wear Their Masks, the Beards (and a Tradition) Had to Go
Tony Cammarata dreaded the news he had to deliver to his employees. They were not losing their jobs. They were not losing their perks.

They were losing their beards.

Cammarata, who oversees the ski patrol for an area in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver, had to clamp down on the facial hair so that the patrol could properly wear their N95 respirator masks for protection in the coronavirus pandemic.

But he knew this would be a tough measure to accept for the men on his crew (47 of the resort’s 56 patrollers). For the vast majority of them, beards and the ski patrol go together like snow and the mountains.
But...the beard contest before the first snowfall!
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
Dang. Hope she has mild symptoms.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck. Good luck, hope its mild or asymptomatic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best wishes DSafe.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
My mom just turned 70 in January and she's worried sick about getting COVID (justifiably so, she's in horrible health to begin with). Sending positive thoughts your mom's way.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shit, man. Good luck, MamaSafe.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry to hear that DSafe.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, DSafe.

Spoke to my parents yesterday and was a bit surprised to hear my father say he is somewhat worried about my brother and his wife visiting my mother and him, because brother isn’t very good about Covid prevention.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian