Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:22 am

A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Those numbers are a little odd to me. The average death rate in the US the past couple years has been about 7800 per day. So even without Covid a normal day would be twice as deadly as Antietam.
Well I do think it was limited to COVID deaths because these were externality events and not just every day mortality.
These are the deaths we know about. I mean, do you think Florida is accurately reporting deaths?

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by sancarlos » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:39 am

Yeah, I had my first test a couple weeks ago and it was a breeze. My daughter has tested often and she says there is great variability in how intrusive it is, depending on who wields the swab.

(We all tested negative.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:00 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:22 am
A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Those numbers are a little odd to me. The average death rate in the US the past couple years has been about 7800 per day. So even without Covid a normal day would be twice as deadly as Antietam.
Well I do think it was limited to COVID deaths because these were externality events and not just every day mortality.
These are the deaths we know about. I mean, do you think Florida is accurately reporting deaths?
Oh of course not. I think that when the dust settles and we look back at the excess death stats, we'll find that the reported death rate is about 40% too low.

But even still, one of the reasons why this pandemic has not brought people into the streets and caused a massive public response is that the number of people dying now is not orders of magnitude higher than the number of people who would be dying now without Covid.

Every so often I'll come across a tweet saying something like "if eight jetliners crashed everyday, we'd do something about it." First, duh, we'd stop flying. Second, if the number of daily crashes went from 0 to 8, of course we'd do something, but if they went from 39 to 47, I don't know that we would.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:00 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:22 am
A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:37 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:28 pm
A_B wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 pm
Those numbers are a little odd to me. The average death rate in the US the past couple years has been about 7800 per day. So even without Covid a normal day would be twice as deadly as Antietam.
Well I do think it was limited to COVID deaths because these were externality events and not just every day mortality.
These are the deaths we know about. I mean, do you think Florida is accurately reporting deaths?
Oh of course not. I think that when the dust settles and we look back at the excess death stats, we'll find that the reported death rate is about 40% too low.

But even still, one of the reasons why this pandemic has not brought people into the streets and caused a massive public response is that the number of people dying now is not orders of magnitude higher than the number of people who would be dying now without Covid.

Every so often I'll come across a tweet saying something like "if eight jetliners crashed everyday, we'd do something about it." First, duh, we'd stop flying. Second, if the number of daily crashes went from 0 to 8, of course we'd do something, but if they went from 39 to 47, I don't know that we would.
How can you say that? Again, i'm virtually positive those numbers listed are just covid cases and not car crashes or heart attacks or what have you. 2,500 extra deaths a day. Given that on a normal day (quick search turned up a cdc report) is 6,000 or so, i'd say that nearly 50% additional deaths (and even higher if your 40% underreporting is close) is pretty staggering, especially when you consider a crazy proportion of them could have been prevented with proper action.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:18 am

I think there are reasons that go beyond an acceptable body count you’re referring to.

1) It’s a pandemic. The people who are cognizant of the virus and how it spreads are not going to take to the streets.
2) We are fighting a war on multiple fronts, including one over data integrity and also misinformation. Meaning, there are people who don’t either don’t believe the virus is even real, or doubt the dangers.

Btw, an increase from 0 crashes to 8 crashes is essentially an 8000% increase in crashes (you technically can’t do that formula from zero, but you get the point).

An increase from 39 crashes to 47 is a 20.5% increase. Still, you can bet that the NTSB would be convening consortiums to figure out why there was such a spike in accidents.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16781
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:10 pm

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 am
How can you say that? Again, i'm virtually positive those numbers listed are just covid cases and not car crashes or heart attacks or what have you. 2,500 extra deaths a day. Given that on a normal day (quick search turned up a cdc report) is 6,000 or so, i'd say that nearly 50% additional deaths (and even higher if your 40% underreporting is close) is pretty staggering, especially when you consider a crazy proportion of them could have been prevented with proper action.
I think it is staggering on a macro level, when you look at the overall figures. I think we are going to end up with more than half a million *reported* Covid deaths by the time things settle. We're probably going to be having close to 4000 deaths per day around Christmas time. That is mind-blowing.

But at a micro level, I don't think Covid deaths are really making things that emotionally different from how they otherwise would be. At least not with the numbers we've been seeing so far. You have the tragic stories of people you are connected to. Like the dad in Mr. D's kid's class. That's terrible, and sad, and really hurts. But those tragic stories happen all the time anyway - like the 55 year old father of two who was killed in that car wreck on my street on Friday, or the prominent local magazine editor who was swept out to sea and drowned this week, or the mom of my kid's classmate who was shot by her friend's jealous ex-boyfriend a year or two ago.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 pm
A_B wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 am
How can you say that? Again, i'm virtually positive those numbers listed are just covid cases and not car crashes or heart attacks or what have you. 2,500 extra deaths a day. Given that on a normal day (quick search turned up a cdc report) is 6,000 or so, i'd say that nearly 50% additional deaths (and even higher if your 40% underreporting is close) is pretty staggering, especially when you consider a crazy proportion of them could have been prevented with proper action.
I think it is staggering on a macro level, when you look at the overall figures. I think we are going to end up with more than half a million *reported* Covid deaths by the time things settle. We're probably going to be having close to 4000 deaths per day around Christmas time. That is mind-blowing.

But at a micro level, I don't think Covid deaths are really making things that emotionally different from how they otherwise would be. At least not with the numbers we've been seeing so far. You have the tragic stories of people you are connected to. Like the dad in Mr. D's kid's class. That's terrible, and sad, and really hurts. But those tragic stories happen all the time anyway - like the 55 year old father of two who was killed in that car wreck on my street on Friday, or the prominent local magazine editor who was swept out to sea and drowned this week, or the mom of my kid's classmate who was shot by her friend's jealous ex-boyfriend a year or two ago.
Don’t take offense, and maybe I’m misunderstanding you here, but are you living under a rock? I mean, unless you’re in complete denial about the virus and its potency, how is it even possible to deny things aren’t emotionally different than how things would otherwise be?

What emotional toll were you expecting? And might that toll be mitigated due to the fact that when you understand all the facts, you can build up a pretty solid resilience?

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Don’t take offense, and maybe I’m misunderstanding you here, but are you living under a rock? I mean, unless you’re in complete denial about the virus and its potency, how is it even possible to deny things aren’t emotionally different than how things would otherwise be?

What emotional toll were you expecting? And might that toll be mitigated due to the fact that when you understand all the facts, you can build up a pretty solid resilience?
Things are definitely emotionally different. But I don't think they are that way because people we know, or even "know", are dying. I mean, one of the Covid deaths that resonates the most with me is the dad in Mr. D's kid's class.

Do you know anyone who has died from Covid? I personally don't, at least not closely enough that I know that they died of Covid. But in the past 12-plus months, I've lost my father-in-law die, my 24yo nephew, and the uncle I was closest to.

I think the emotional toll comes more from the lockdown; the fear of you or someone you love catching it and dying or having serious consequences; worries about economic fallout (for some people); and of course the extensive media coverage.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 pm

I imagine a lot of us didn't know anyone on 9/11, right? Does that diminish its singular impact, independent of all other deaths the day before and after?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7959
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Ryan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Things are definitely emotionally different. But I don't think they are that way because people we know, or even "know", are dying. I mean, one of the Covid deaths that resonates the most with me is the dad in Mr. D's kid's class.
Can you attempt to estimate how many more Americans know someone who died last Tuesday than the same date last year? Closely know someone? Are related to someone?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12900
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 pm
I imagine a lot of us didn't know anyone on 9/11, right? Does that diminish its singular impact, independent of all other deaths the day before and after?
I think this plays into the graphic imagery argument I made before. We all saw the videos of the planes hit the towers, the towers collapsing, white soot covered people running and screaming with the never-ending clatter of alarms and sirens in the background... Most of us listened live hearing reports of planes expected to crash into the WH, Congress, Supreme Court and whatever monument Houston thinks its famous for. It's like the quote attributed to Stalin says, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. That made it real, and dramatic. We could see images, hear stories, and the fact that there was an actual group of people behind the attack made it more tangible. At this point, we are numb to hearing about record numbers of positives or deaths, it just doesn't register the same way anymore. Fear of catching an invisible virus is also more difficult to process.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Ryan wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Things are definitely emotionally different. But I don't think they are that way because people we know, or even "know", are dying. I mean, one of the Covid deaths that resonates the most with me is the dad in Mr. D's kid's class.
Can you attempt to estimate how many more Americans know someone who died last Tuesday than the same date last year? Closely know someone? Are related to someone?
For last Tuesday, probably about thirty percent more? For a random day this past July, maybe ten percent more? Probably a higher percentage three weeks from now?

If you assume an average of 20 closely knows/closely relateds per death, then on any given pre-Covid day about 1 in 2000 Americans learn that someone they closely know or are related to died. (7800 deaths per day, so 156,000 close persons, out of 325,000,000.) If you also have about 2200 Covid deaths, the ratio is about 1 in 1600.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:49 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm
mister d wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 pm
I imagine a lot of us didn't know anyone on 9/11, right? Does that diminish its singular impact, independent of all other deaths the day before and after?
I think this plays into the graphic imagery argument I made before. We all saw the videos of the planes hit the towers, the towers collapsing, white soot covered people running and screaming with the never-ending clatter of alarms and sirens in the background... Most of us listened live hearing reports of planes expected to crash into the WH, Congress, Supreme Court and whatever monument Houston thinks its famous for. It's like the quote attributed to Stalin says, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. That made it real, and dramatic. We could see images, hear stories, and the fact that there was an actual group of people behind the attack made it more tangible. At this point, we are numb to hearing about record numbers of positives or deaths, it just doesn't register the same way anymore. Fear of catching an invisible virus is also more difficult to process.
This completely. 9/11 was almost the "perfect tragedy" in that sense, because after the planes crashed into the Twin Towers, there was time for the photographers to get there before people started jumping out, and for all of us to turn our TVs on before the buildings collapsed. Think of how differently we think of the Twin Towers deaths versus the Pentagon deaths or the deaths in the field in Pennsylvania.

It's like the difference between George Floyd's death and all the police killings (or other deaths) that happen off camera.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:02 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:44 pm
If you assume an average of 20 closely knows/closely relateds per death, then on any given pre-Covid day about 1 in 2000 Americans learn that someone they closely know or are related to died.
The guy who resonates with you via me probably wouldn't have made a top 500 people I know list if I'd made it on New Years Day. You math is weird and bad.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:19 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:02 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:44 pm
If you assume an average of 20 closely knows/closely relateds per death, then on any given pre-Covid day about 1 in 2000 Americans learn that someone they closely know or are related to died.
The guy who resonates with you via me probably wouldn't have made a top 500 people I know list if I'd made it on New Years Day. You math is weird and bad.
Lawyers, amirite?
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Don’t take offense, and maybe I’m misunderstanding you here, but are you living under a rock? I mean, unless you’re in complete denial about the virus and its potency, how is it even possible to deny things aren’t emotionally different than how things would otherwise be?

What emotional toll were you expecting? And might that toll be mitigated due to the fact that when you understand all the facts, you can build up a pretty solid resilience?
Things are definitely emotionally different. But I don't think they are that way because people we know, or even "know", are dying. I mean, one of the Covid deaths that resonates the most with me is the dad in Mr. D's kid's class.

Do you know anyone who has died from Covid? I personally don't, at least not closely enough that I know that they died of Covid. But in the past 12-plus months, I've lost my father-in-law die, my 24yo nephew, and the uncle I was closest to.

I think the emotional toll comes more from the lockdown; the fear of you or someone you love catching it and dying or having serious consequences; worries about economic fallout (for some people); and of course the extensive media coverage.
I guess I don't know what your point is, because it sounds to me like an exercise in phantom distinctions, that outside the care of a licensed therapist, I fail to understand the value?

I know two older folks who died of the virus. I also know a guy who suicided over despondency due to the pandemic shutdown. He was the guy who was always at the pub watching the O's when you walked in.

When that person tweeted a list of single-day calamities sorted by death count, yes it tells us that coastal town life before sea walls were a thing was a dicey proposition, but it also tells us that this is how worn down we are. It's the new normal. Resiliency always wins out.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20812
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:29 pm

And all of this seems to be missing the larger point that whether this makes you sad or you're all covid-ed out, half of the eight worst direct causes death events have happened in the last week.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8462
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by govmentchedda » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm

I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:31 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm
Good work, Coach K.
We suck too so I don't want to play either.


But seriously, stopping play until the new year and doing conference only from here on makes the most sense of any scenarios while granting that no scenarios make reals sense. I think the January numbers are going to be horrific.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12309
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnnie » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:57 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:39 am
Yeah, I had my first test a couple weeks ago and it was a breeze. My daughter has tested often and she says there is great variability in how intrusive it is, depending on who wields the swab.

(We all tested negative.)
I've had 3 tests now. (Almost 4, randomly selected prior to getting on the flight out of Seattle for a non invasive style test, but they took too long and let me check in first then selected others.)

The first was after my quarantine after deployment. I was told to forcefully breathe out through my nose and felt nothing.

The second was on the third level of a parking garage at Osan at 10pm or so after the long flight from Seattle. (I think I posted the pic) Sat down and this Airman just shoved the thing in my nostril and left it for 10-15 seconds and pulled it out hard. Awful. Eyes watered for quite a bit.

The third was in a medical tent 2 weeks later after solitary quarantine. Same kinda forcefulness, but only for 5 seconds. Burned a little bit because it was cold out.

But whatever, all were negative.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:35 pm

A_B wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:31 pm
govmentchedda wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm
Good work, Coach K.
We suck too so I don't want to play either.


But seriously, stopping play until the new year and doing conference only from here on makes the most sense of any scenarios while granting that no scenarios make reals sense. I think the January numbers are going to be horrific.
Losing to Illinois will do that to you.

(Seriously, it looks like we're at that once-every-fifteen years point and the Illini are really good. So of course there won't be a legitimate season.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:08 am

So the GF and I both tested negative (tested yesterday, results back today).

But we just found out that her autistic daughter Kelsey tested positive. And the GF spent time with her on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by rass » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:10 am

Shit dave. You had mentioned her situation a couple of times in this thread (or the anxiety one). She's in her own place but with an aide or something like that?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16781
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:12 am

Hope everything is very minor.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 pm

rass wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:10 am
Shit dave. You had mentioned her situation a couple of times in this thread (or the anxiety one). She's in her own place but with an aide or something like that?
Yeah...Kelsey is in an apartment, with another Autistic woman, and they have 24 hour care. So lots of care-givers coming and going. But so far, no caregivers have tested positive.

We are pretty sure that she was exposed by her father, who is positive. My GF has been super careful when she goes to see her...staying outside, wearing an N95 mask, so hopefully it won't spread to us. And hoping that since Kelsey is young (she's 24) she's going to be asymptomatic.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12309
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnnie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:35 am

Americans are the fucking worst.

US military apologizes for 'poor judgment' after troops attended dance parties on base without wearing masks
[+] spoiler
EDITED by Sabo to put this auto-play video in a Spoiler tag, just in case anyone opens this page during a video call (like I did).
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16781
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:45 am

Probably nothing has a higher level of support in Canada than the border remaining closed for the foreseeable future.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

duff
Donny
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by duff » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:21 am

I am so sick of this year.

Just got news that a guy I know was airlifted to Chicago from Goshen because COVID symptoms. I have known him for close to 10 years. His oldest is the same age as my youngest. I coached the kids in soccer. We both started out in the teaching profession. He went into banking, I went into IT. Our wives are both teachers. Only thing I can hold against him is that he is a Yankees fan. When I got word that he had been moved to Chicago I just broke. Why the fuck! And then I find out that earlier this year he was battling lymphoma. And his mother in law passed in July and then two weeks later his dad. I had met them also at the soccer fields. I am just gutted by this. It just adds onto what an already shitty year it has been.

In August my wife's best friend died after a 2 year struggle with cancer. Two weeks before she was to celebrate her 44th birthday. She left behind her husband and three young boys (13, 11, and 8). The good part is that my wife was able to spend time with Emily before she died. It hurts seeing the person you love the most struggle with the loss of their best friend. They were college roommates. Never met before they moved into the dorm together. It was a triple and those three were/are the best of friends. I struggle with this because I don't have that type of relationship with anyone from my past. Sure I have my closest friend from high school, but I talk to him maybe once or twice a year. We occasionally will shoot one another a text. Found out that he had COVID in October. It was a mild case. And his dad passed away in March.

Sorry for the ramble. I just don't have anyone or any other place to express myself. This little place here on the internet has been so good to all of us. You all are truly wonderful people. Thanks for being who you are. And let us all have better years in the future.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

User avatar
MaxWebster
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by MaxWebster » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:28 am

jesus, Duff - I am so sorry. For you and your wife both - we've all had such terrible times this year and to hear this is just awful.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17298
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:30 am

Yeah. Duff, sorry to hear all that. It's been so messed up as a year already and that's on top of all the normal stress of being an adult. Hug everyone the law will allow.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by rass » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 am

Sorry buddy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by cerrano » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 am

duff wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:21 am
I am so sick of this year.

Just got news that a guy I know was airlifted to Chicago from Goshen because COVID symptoms. I have known him for close to 10 years. His oldest is the same age as my youngest. I coached the kids in soccer. We both started out in the teaching profession. He went into banking, I went into IT. Our wives are both teachers. Only thing I can hold against him is that he is a Yankees fan. When I got word that he had been moved to Chicago I just broke. Why the fuck! And then I find out that earlier this year he was battling lymphoma. And his mother in law passed in July and then two weeks later his dad. I had met them also at the soccer fields. I am just gutted by this. It just adds onto what an already shitty year it has been.

In August my wife's best friend died after a 2 year struggle with cancer. Two weeks before she was to celebrate her 44th birthday. She left behind her husband and three young boys (13, 11, and 8). The good part is that my wife was able to spend time with Emily before she died. It hurts seeing the person you love the most struggle with the loss of their best friend. They were college roommates. Never met before they moved into the dorm together. It was a triple and those three were/are the best of friends. I struggle with this because I don't have that type of relationship with anyone from my past. Sure I have my closest friend from high school, but I talk to him maybe once or twice a year. We occasionally will shoot one another a text. Found out that he had COVID in October. It was a mild case. And his dad passed away in March.

Sorry for the ramble. I just don't have anyone or any other place to express myself. This little place here on the internet has been so good to all of us. You all are truly wonderful people. Thanks for being who you are. And let us all have better years in the future.
Fuck, Duff. Sorry man. It’s always darkest before the dawn.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4970
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Sabo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am

Sorry, duff. All of that is tough to take, regardless of the year.

On the bright side, you're learning more about the Halliburton Cowboy in recent days, and the only way to describe that is TREMENDOUS.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

duff
Donny
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by duff » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am

Sabo wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am
Sorry, duff. All of that is tough to take, regardless of the year.

On the bright side, you're learning more about the Halliburton Cowboy in recent days, and the only way to describe that is TREMENDOUS.
I really enjoyed the 25th anniversary. Lenny's voice cracks me the fuck up.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4970
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Sabo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:29 am

duff wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am
Sabo wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am
Sorry, duff. All of that is tough to take, regardless of the year.

On the bright side, you're learning more about the Halliburton Cowboy in recent days, and the only way to describe that is TREMENDOUS.
I really enjoyed the 25th anniversary. Lenny's voice cracks me the fuck up.
Lenny definitely has a voice that doesn't match his appearance.

And there are so many good quotes in that episode.

"EH. YOU HAVE PILL?"

"Eh. Eff you urt me, I fucking kill you."

"The 'T' stands for THUNDER!"
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5891
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:40 am

duff wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am
Sabo wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am
Sorry, duff. All of that is tough to take, regardless of the year.

On the bright side, you're learning more about the Halliburton Cowboy in recent days, and the only way to describe that is TREMENDOUS.
I really enjoyed the 25th anniversary. Lenny's voice cracks me the fuck up.
Here Sabo and DSafetyGuy are, making history (for duff, anyway).

Sorry, duff. I don't know if there's anything I can do for you, even just to distract you from everything else going on, but all you have to do is ask.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:08 pm

Sorry duff. Hang in there mate...you are not alone.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 pm
rass wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:10 am
Shit dave. You had mentioned her situation a couple of times in this thread (or the anxiety one). She's in her own place but with an aide or something like that?
Yeah...Kelsey is in an apartment, with another Autistic woman, and they have 24 hour care. So lots of care-givers coming and going. But so far, no caregivers have tested positive.
An update: Kelsey's housemate has also tested positive. So now they have 2 caregivers who have volunteered to be quarantined with them.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:47 pm

cerrano wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 am

Fuck, Duff. Sorry man. It’s always darkest before the dawn.
And when the sun comes up gonna rage. We're all owed and a little extra for those than won't be able to join us.

Post Reply