Rush Limbaugh

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Rush Limbaugh

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not that I would wish lung cancer on anyone....but Karma does tend to catch up with people eventually.
brian
The Dude

Re: Rush Limbaugh (almost)

Post by brian »

With so many conservatives praying and hoping for the death of RBG, I'm not going to say anything ghoulish. Though it's probably ironic he'll be receiving the best of medical care, while not believing other Americans deserve the same should they also fall ill.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:58 pm With so many conservatives praying and hoping for the death of RBG, I'm not going to say anything ghoulish. Though it's probably ironic he'll be receiving the best of medical care, while not believing other Americans deserve the same should they also fall ill.
I'll give Rush more sympathy than he gave Michael J. Fox after Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's...

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Who's he blaming?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll fucking say it. Rooting for this to end him.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 pm Who's he blaming?
The Liberal Elites, Deep State and the Jews are my guess.

Is Limbaugh still remotely relevant? He used to be the big name, but I really haven't heard about him in 6 or 7 years. I guess radio is a dead platform for those under 60 years old.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The number thrown around for an audience is usually north of 20 million.

Still relevant to the majority of folks that still listen to radio and have no idea what a podcast is.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am The number thrown around for an audience is usually north of 20 million.

Still relevant to the majority of folks that still listen to radio and have no idea what a podcast is.
When I moved to Indiana in 1990, I had never heard of him. I had a bunch of co-workers who listened to him everyday. And there was even a 'Rush Room' in town...a restaurant that played his radio show over the loudspeaker during the lunch hour. And this was in Bloomington, the lone pocket of liberalism in the state.

I would guess that his influence has waned, but he certainly spawned the likes of Hannity, et al and the FoxNews channel.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

On a similar topic, whatever happened to Glenn Beck?

Never mind, don't answer that.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I'm not sure we get Fox News without Rush showing the possibility and the size of the market. I think he's definitely the most to blame for turning my parents into assholes. I remember when my dad first started listening to him, probably in the late 80s. My dad drove a LOT for work, so he had Rush on every day. I remember listening to him in the car with my dad when I was in college. Rush was clearly funny and had a strong stance on things that was just unusual at the time. I don't think I realized that there was the huge divide between liberals and conservatives until Rush hammered on it constantly. In fact, I don't think there WAS nearly as big a divide until he started hammering on it (followed eventually by Fox News).

Neither of my parents, my dad especially, were political at all until Rush got his evil hooks into them.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:54 pm Yeah, I'm not sure we get Fox News without Rush showing the possibility and the size of the market. I think he's definitely the most to blame for turning my parents into assholes. I remember when my dad first started listening to him, probably in the late 80s. My dad drove a LOT for work, so he had Rush on every day. I remember listening to him in the car with my dad when I was in college. Rush was clearly funny and had a strong stance on things that was just unusual at the time. I don't think I realized that there was the huge divide between liberals and conservatives until Rush hammered on it constantly. In fact, I don't think there WAS nearly as big a divide until he started hammering on it (followed eventually by Fox News).

Neither of my parents, my dad especially, were political at all until Rush got his evil hooks into them.
Reagan got rid of the Fairness Doctrine ... which gave us Rush Limbaugh ... which gave us Fox News and Newt Gingrich ... which gave us Tom DeLay ... which gave us Mitch McConnell and Trump
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This was all a well-funded, slow burning movement that started with Goldwater. It runs prior to Reagan, but picked up steam. Funding of places like the Heritage Foundation in DC and scores of more right-wing advocate groups. It really picked up serious social (as opposed to a lot of the economic and foreign policy aspects) with Ralph Reed and the Christian Coalition.

I agree that Rush was on the vanguard of the media side of this, but it was all part of a larger movement.

And you can thank all of that for Trump, the natural evolution of it all.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:54 pm Yeah, I'm not sure we get Fox News without Rush showing the possibility and the size of the market. I think he's definitely the most to blame for turning my parents into assholes. I remember when my dad first started listening to him, probably in the late 80s. My dad drove a LOT for work, so he had Rush on every day. I remember listening to him in the car with my dad when I was in college. Rush was clearly funny and had a strong stance on things that was just unusual at the time. I don't think I realized that there was the huge divide between liberals and conservatives until Rush hammered on it constantly. In fact, I don't think there WAS nearly as big a divide until he started hammering on it (followed eventually by Fox News).

During the 80s, My father spent a large portion of his working hours in the car with only AM radio, and he listened to Rush every day. While he proudly considered himself a Conservative, he always said Rush was an asshole. Fortunately, he was a free-thinking Conservative and angrily fled the GOP back in 2000. I don't think he is a Democrat so much as virulently anti-GOP.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

So your dad is pretty much the exact opposite of most GOPers now days. Not so much Republican, just anit-Dem.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 pm So your dad is pretty much the exact opposite of most GOPers now days. Not so much Republican, just anit-Dem.
Good point. The GOP has deserted the principles of Conservatism in favor of whatever the fuck you want to call what they have become. The GOP certainly doesn't live by Christian morals, despite creating a non-existent cultural war to maintain the votes of Evangelicals out of a hatred of the Left. Same with gun nuts. They shouldn't like Trump or what the GOP represents, but they are desperately loyal out of fear the Libs will steal their guns or ban their religion. I mean, it's already illegal to celebrate Christmas in the US.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'd argue religion itself isn't as important for them as much as it's a proxy for The Way Things Used to Be.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:31 pm I'd argue religion itself isn't as important for them as much as it's a proxy for The Way Things Used to Be.
Interesting point, I have no doubt that's true for a lot of people.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know if I believe in karma, but I guess I don't NOT believe in saying shitty things out loud.

Some of the shit I've seen on Fb about this... Nope. negatory. Nah gah dah it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom - just another thing that Trump has debased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... recipients

Of the 14 that Trump has handed out, 7 to athletes, one to Orrin Hatch, One to Ed Meese, one to Adelson's wife.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 pm Getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom - just another thing that Trump has debased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... recipients

Of the 14 that Trump has handed out, 7 to athletes, one to Orrin Hatch, One to Ed Meese, one to Adelson's wife.
A hateful bigot giving the nation's highest honor to another hateful bigot. What a world.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Remember when he went on a tirade calling for the death penalty for drug users, then we found out he was addicted to painkillers, taking so much it caused him to lose his hearing? Great guy.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:40 pm Remember when he went on a tirade calling for the death penalty for drug users, then we found out he was addicted to painkillers, taking so much it caused him to lose his hearing? Great guy.
He also said this about Kurt Cobain, after his death...
Medal Of Freedom Winner Rush Limbaugh wrote:Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentleman, I just--he was a worthless shred of human debris
... -
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My mother was a sweet woman who rarely if ever said anything bad about people.

And there's no way she'd "speak ill of the dead." But if she were alive, she'd be laughing at the thought of Limbaugh being in mortal and fatal pain.

As I am.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw the thread bumped. Got excited. Thanks for letting me down.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nope, not dead yet. But he's trending on Twitter:

(He called her a ho.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The guy who's been married four times calls her a ho.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:43 am The guy who's been married four times calls her a ho.
Wasn't Rush caught with illegal drugs on a private flight to a sex resort with underage girls? [While calling for the death penalty to drug addicts]
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

seriously.

not sure at what point in my life i decided to not be apologetic about being openly happy when certain people die but it must have been some point before Scalia. Fuck this guy to hell.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:04 pm Saw the thread bumped. Got excited. Thanks for letting me down.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Presidential Medal of Freedom winner.

Jesus...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush Limbaugh’s Fight to the Death
In January, Limbaugh was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. Two weeks later, he attended Trump’s State of the Union address as a guest of the president and surprise recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the country’s highest civilian honor. In his balcony seat, the 69-year-old host looked frail and somewhat unsteady. Wires from his cochlear implants—Limbaugh cannot hear without them—ran from his ears to his temples. A dusting of white hair encircled his round face. Trump thanked Limbaugh for his “decades of tireless devotion to our country,” and half the chamber broke out into applause.

The award was more than an expression of sympathy for a sick man. It was a very public curtain call for the leading light of American cesspool conservatism. By late October, Limbaugh revealed to his listeners that his cancer is, in fact, terminal. Amid the exhaustion of treatment, Limbaugh has but one final mission in his theater of the culture wars: ensure Trump’s reelection.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Is it wrong that I get a twinge of excited anticipation every time this thread is bumped? I blame Limbaugh in large part for the creation of toxic RW media and laying the groundwork for the popularity of FoxNews and all of the evil progeny spawned from Fox. I'm all for letting opinions being heard, but Rush's entire career was based off spreading lies to stoke fear and hatred in his followers. He made insane amounts of money knowing and intentionally spreading lies to ruin the political discourse in our country, sow the seeds of division and ensure GOP policies that hurt the majority of Americans continue based of courting voters out of fear and hatred on the lies he created and amplified. Guess I answered my own question, the day his voice is silenced is a day for celebration.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hell, I got a twinge of excitement and hope when you bumped this thread just now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If Biden is going to win, I hope Limbaugh hangs on. If Trump is going to win, I hope he goes as soon as I hit "Submit".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I keep getting the twinge too, you guys.

I'm waiting for it.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 am If Biden is going to win, I hope Limbaugh hangs on. If Trump is going to win, I hope he goes as soon as I hit "Submit".
You got your wish.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

woot
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.