Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm"What will you do when, if you win, Donald Trump refuses to leave?"

None of them, even Bernie, made a statement like this. The answers were nearly all deflections of the question and each candidate seemed to half smile at the presumptuousness of the question.

So, I'm thankful for this answer.
Was talking to my parents about this exact scenario two nights ago. How confident are you the military would actually physically remove him in the seemingly inevitable scenario of a "challenged" electoral result?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:15 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm"What will you do when, if you win, Donald Trump refuses to leave?"

None of them, even Bernie, made a statement like this. The answers were nearly all deflections of the question and each candidate seemed to half smile at the presumptuousness of the question.

Was talking to my parents about this exact scenario two nights ago. How confident are you the military would actually physically remove him in the seemingly inevitable scenario of a "challenged" electoral result?
It depends on how "challenged" it is, but if the Electoral College confirms the result in December as should be presumed, then the Secret Service and if necessary, the military, will physically remove Trump from the White House at 12:01 p.m. on January 20, 2021.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:15 pm

It depends on how "challenged" it is, but if the Electoral College confirms the result in December as should be presumed, then the Secret Service and if necessary, the military, will physically remove Trump from the White House at 12:01 p.m. on January 20, 2021.
I think it's a valid fear, as if Trump persuaded military folks that the election was rigged and he was the actual winner, they would violate the Constitution in removing him. I think we have seen that the military brass, while silent until this week, do not support Trump. I hope they would act to remove him if he refused to leave, but I don't like relying on hope for something this big.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm more apt to assume the military would treat any commands from Trump at 12:01 p.m. that day as an unlawful order and would simply not follow it. I assume Trump will contest any loss by claiming voter fraud, but unless it's a specific state which is really close that swings the election like Florida in 2000 where there's an investigation of some kind nothing he says or does will be treated with any seriousness.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

At the same time, I could imagine an EC wipeout, he would just fuck right off and quit before the year is out, too. Because that's how that pussy rolls.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:35 pm At the same time, I could imagine an EC wipeout, he would just fuck right off and quit before the year is out, too. Because that's how that pussy rolls.
I imagine he's going to officially resign on January 19 so that President Pence can issue a pre-emptive, blanket pardon.

ETA: This also allows him to "skip" the inauguration of President Biden.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A lame duck Trump could get up to some real fuckery as far as pardons and all kinds of other stuff.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:39 pm So, not a good joke?
I liked, fwiw.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, Johnnie, I'm not giving you shit (at all), but just pointing out that I don't think any presidential candidate would've had the foresight to know what military leaders would do when put to the test.

This last week or so, we've seen exactly what they'll do, which is step the fuck up. It has been one of the most patriotic displays in my lifetime. To see these higher ups doing the right thing, when we truly didn't know how they would react.

It's fucking amazing. Watching them back the captain that unfairly treated was one thing. But watching the entire military apparatus essentially tell Trump to fuck himself, then doubling down with removing the confederate flag from the Marines environment and formally apologize for being used in a horrendous photo op (which was preceded by an illegal use of teargas and rubber bullets of peaceful protesters)...

This is going to be a significant chapter in our nation's history. When the military stood up against a Fucking Moron tyrant.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:38 pm So, Johnnie, I'm not giving you shit (at all), but just pointing out that I don't think any presidential candidate would've had the foresight to know what military leaders would do when put to the test.

This last week or so, we've seen exactly what they'll do, which is step the fuck up. It has been one of the most patriotic displays in my lifetime. To see these higher ups doing the right thing, when we truly didn't know how they would react.

It's fucking amazing. Watching them back the captain that unfairly treated was one thing. But watching the entire military apparatus essentially tell Trump to fuck himself, then doubling down with removing the confederate flag from the Marines environment and formally apologize for being used in a horrendous photo op (which was preceded by an illegal use of teargas and rubber bullets of peaceful protesters)...

This is going to be a significant chapter in our nation's history. When the military stood up against a Fucking Moron tyrant.
Completely agree, just a fucking shame it took 3.5 years for ANY institution to stand up to him. I guess the House did by impeaching him, but it's shocking the Intel agencies have remained silent while he shits all over them and says he takes Putin's word over all of their intel, the Courts have barely stood in his way, the Justice Dept continues to follow his whims and politicizing their decisions. I just hope this emboldens others to start taking a stand.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think the DoJ thing is slightly unfair, because while they've traditionally maintained a somewhat neutral posture, at the end of the day they're part of the executive branch and, so, easily they are fucked with.

We've talked about it a lot, but the DoJ is a great example of the unwritten rules of decorum and respect that exist in DC... All it takes is one Fucking Moron to upend all of that shit.

I hope we spend the next decade putting all of the checks and balances on the executive branch that aren't codified on the books.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm glad you feel that way as a Canadian. /s

But here's the thing, the retired miliary apparatus told him to go fuck himself. Not the active duty military apparatus -- as evidenced by General Milley being in the photo op in the first place. And if he's reelected, he's still everyone's boss per the Constitution. (And his fucking name will appear on my retirement certificate.)

So, it's nice to see Petraeus, McRaven, Mattis, and everyone else have a take, but I'm just not sold. I just hope that if active duty members are in the streets in America they have the good sense and solid leadership to refuse orders to kill other Americans.

Also, the Confederate Flag removal stuff was actually an initiative from February.

This latest and greatest push to rename bases was once talked about after Charleston, but that's the issue being seized upon at the moment. Liz Warren pulled a little sneaky on everyone.

As long as Fort Benning is renamed to Fort Sherman, I'll be happy.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

'Dominate With Compassion'...sounds like some 50 Shades of Gray nonsense...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's sounds like a fucking Lonely Island lyric if I've ever heard one.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:38 pm A lame duck Trump could get up to some real fuckery as far as pardons and all kinds of other stuff.
I think so. I think if he loses big, they’ll need to promise him state and federal pardons to get him to resign quickly. Otherwise he’ll can do a shitload of damage. Especially if the Dems don’t take both houses of Congress.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I laughed, DSG.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Are 'blanket' or future pardons a thing? I thought they could only be handed to people actually convicted of something.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wasn’t that what Ford did for Nixon’s role in Watergate?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:31 pm Wasn’t that what Ford did for Nixon’s role in Watergate?
I was just going to post that.
“wiki” wrote:Ford granted to Richard Nixon, his predecessor, a full and unconditional pardon for any crimes that he might have committed against the United States as president.
Ford’s approval rating immediately fell from 71% to 50%, and Ford agreed with historians who believe that the pardon cost him the 1976 election.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You just know Schumer is going to be front and center pushing for full pardons.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:49 pm I'm glad you feel that way as a Canadian. /s

But here's the thing, the retired miliary apparatus told him to go fuck himself. Not the active duty military apparatus -- as evidenced by General Milley being in the photo op in the first place. And if he's reelected, he's still everyone's boss per the Constitution. (And his fucking name will appear on my retirement certificate.)

So, it's nice to see Petraeus, McRaven, Mattis, and everyone else have a take, but I'm just not sold. I just hope that if active duty members are in the streets in America they have the good sense and solid leadership to refuse orders to kill other Americans.

Also, the Confederate Flag removal stuff was actually an initiative from February.

This latest and greatest push to rename bases was once talked about after Charleston, but that's the issue being seized upon at the moment. Liz Warren pulled a little sneaky on everyone.

As long as Fort Benning is renamed to Fort Sherman, I'll be happy.

To a lesser degree, Esper stood up to Trump.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m still wondering if these polls keep rolling against him if he resigns before election so he isn’t a “loser”. I can see him throwing pence under the bus to lose in largest landslide ever.

Resigning is better than headlines on November 4th saying “you’re fired” to him. He will then say he never lost an election.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He’s not going anywhere (early, at least). I think he’s bought in as much as anyone on his own bullshit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You really can't take anything off the table, but him just saying "fuck it" I quit two days before the election if it looks like a stomping isn't as ridiculous as it would be for literally any other president.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just think him being labeled a loser would kill him. Maybe literally.

But he is definitely all in on his bullshit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe I’m overly cynical, but he won’t ever be a blowout loser and I’m skeptical he will ever even be a loser.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 pm Maybe I’m overly cynical, but he won’t ever be a blowout loser and I’m skeptical he will ever even be a loser.
Yeah, I have no confidence until it’s done.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

More Democrats should tweet at the president like this.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:46 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 pm Maybe I’m overly cynical, but he won’t ever be a blowout loser and I’m skeptical he will ever even be a loser.
Given the population distribution/Electoral College advantage that the GOP currently has, it would have to be the biggest popular vote blowout since 1984 for it to clear, beyond the margin of error, going into Election Night that Trump would lose in a landslide.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:46 pm
Given the population distribution/Electoral College advantage that the GOP currently has, it would have to be the biggest popular vote blowout since 1984 for it to clear, beyond the margin of error, going into Election Night that Trump would lose in a landslide.
You forgot voter suppression, either in-person or via absentee, as both have legit concerns.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You guys know I've been saying he's going to lose since January of '17.

But the guy NEVER THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO WIN all the way up until election night. That taught him what continues to fuel him today, that he has super secret mystical powers that totally make polling bullshit.

He's not going anywhere, folks.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm with Delaware that this isn't going to be wipeout, especially with voter suppression. It's more a wish.

Although they may have tipped their hand too early suppressing Georgia for the primary. More people are now on their guard.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As always, the cruelty is the point.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I honestly think he doesn’t understand date significance but someone advising him surely does.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Stephen Miller clearly orchestrating this one.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love that ad.

And not that it matters any more, but is this tweet illegal? Can the President attack a publicly traded company?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Probably. But who's going to stop him?

Also, surefire way to cancel nearly any service: say your spouse is getting deployed and you're moving somewhere else in the meantime. My girlfriend did that and caught no flack a couple years back.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I sure hope there aren’t any laws against Presidents criticizing public companies. Sometimes they deserve the criticism! I’d love to see Biden go hard after Amazon for its labor and antitrust practices—not that I expect him to do so.