RIMWORLD 2020: The Great White North

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: RIMWORLD 2020: Swampville VIII: The Great White North

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 am Like Wile E. Coyote.
Saying the quiet parts out loud.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Never noticed before the shot of her on her deathbed, but Belle had a real Bin Laden chic going on. No wonder PDX was so despondent.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:49 amOverwhelmed by flames and coyote bites, P.D.X. collapses and expires, burning away into nothing.
Just like the prophecy!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Next poll I put up ought to be fun.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: RIMWORLD 2020: POLL: Nonlinear's Fate

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Well, the accumulated stress from the the recent string of attacks and colonist deaths seems to be getting to us. First, duff gets into the space crack that the last group of raiders left behind.

Then a series of insulting sprees break out. Low blow, rass.

And then Sabo gets on a roll.

Then he goes a little too far.

The fight ends with Gunpowder biting Sabo's toe. But Sabo's not done...

This one ends with AB biting Sabo's jaw. Seriously, what the fuck is with the biting, guys?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

After a while things calm down and a new joiner wanders in. It's Nonlinear!

Nonlinear suffered an unspecified traumatic event early in his life that rendered him mute. Despite this, he somehow became a successful cosmetic surgeon catering to the rich. He has a dependency on amphetamines and is bisexual.

And then shortly thereafter, we get another crashed transport pod. It's TT!

TT2.0 grew up pulling carts and digging holes on a medieval world. He later joined the space navy, where he became a skilled combat tactician. His training, however, has left him devoid of social skills or appreciation for art. Also, for unknown reasons someone had stabbed him in the neck prior to his boarding the escape pod. We patch him up and after a few days he's ready for action.

I've started building out some additional entertainment options to keep our spirits up, including a rec room with a TV, as well a poker table. Ryan and brian are sharing a game when brian spontaneously vomits all over the chair Ryan is sitting on and then walks away.
Image Image
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Alright, this one gets bad. Megumi's Burglars have been by far our toughest adversary to this point, and they're back in force.

We rush out to our defensive positions to meet them, but this time they're not just going to attack us head-on. Instead, they've loaded up with explosives and are going to blast their own way into our base. The attack group peels off and one named Hilary throws a molotov cocktail that blows a hole in the perimeter wall.

It gets worse. A second group approaches from the south and similarly blasts out a section of the wall. There are upwards of 20 of them total now, streaming inside the base.

It's clear that this time around, they're not looking to directly attack our colonists as much as just wreck shit and create general havoc. We have to break up into small teams to try and chase them down.

AB and brian catch a few of them in a corridor. They toss firebombs at AB, leaving him incapacitated on the floor and in danger of burning to death. Then one named Shadow tosses a grenade at brian, shredding his body and killing him instantly.

Then a woman named Sapphire picks up a screaming AB to carry away as a prisoner. mister d arrives and blows away Sapphire with a couple shotgun blasts, saving AB from death and/or whatever weird shit they would have done to him.

Fortunately for us, the raiders' complete disregard for their own safety in their pursuit of destruction has made them easy targets, and we pick off a bunch of them one-by-one as we catch them running around. After a while, they decide things are getting too hot and decide to get away while they can. duff catches brian's killer, Shadow, at the door and shoots him dead.

We're lucky in that we only lost one person (RIP brian), but there's an awful lot of mess to clean up, and we need to be better prepared for the next time. I count 14 or 15 dead raiders strewn about the vicinity. The scene below gives a idea of the carnage. Also worth noting that in the middle of all this, Nonlinear decided to go on a pot binge and watch TV.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Uh-oh, looks like pot and TV weren't enough to get Nonlinear through his amphetamine withdrawal and he's decided to resort to a more extreme method of coping.

Nonlinear ambles up to the unsuspecting Sabo and whacks him with his rifle butt. Sabo, the pacifist, retreats to a hospital bed, thinking this will save him, but Nonlinear simply follows him there and continues to pummel him from the bedside until Sabo dies.

On the bright side, it seems like Nonlinear feels better now.

So, this is pretty unprecedented. I can't remember one colonist straight-up intentionally killing another before. I put up a new poll to let you guys decide Nonlinear's fate.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 am Uh-oh, looks like pot and TV weren't enough to get Nonlinear through his amphetamine withdrawal and he's decided to resort to a more extreme method of coping.

Nonlinear ambles up to the unsuspecting Sabo and whacks him with his rifle butt. Sabo, the pacifist, retreats to a hospital bed, thinking this will save him, but Nonlinear simply follows him there and continues to pummel him from the bedside until Sabo dies.

On the bright side, it seems like Nonlinear feels better now.

So, this is pretty unprecedented. I can't remember one colonist straight-up intentionally killing another before. I put up a new poll to let you guys decide Nonlinear's fate.
This sequence of action was a bit one sided, but it had the audience on the edge of their seat. These two built a wonderful story and they gave the crowd exactly what they were looking for. Everyone is so glad that that piece of shit Sabo has been eradicated from the colony. 12 and 3/4 stars!!!

-Duff Meltzer
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If we choose to execute will that precipitate a series of follow up polls where we get to choose how he dies and which colonist does the deed? Because if so....
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Tactics question - is the game default to attack the crap out of the settlement when things are going too well? Should we be considering preemptive attacks on the assholes who keep attacking our settlement? If so, can nonlinear be in the vanguard of such attack?
An Echidna
Jackie Treehorn

Post by An Echidna »

I don't get it?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Looks like you do
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Poor mood" can be a real nasty condition.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:13 amThis sequence of action was a bit one sided, but it had the audience on the edge of their seat. These two built a wonderful story and they gave the crowd exactly what they were looking for. Everyone is so glad that that piece of shit Sabo has been eradicated from the colony. 12 and 3/4 stars!!!

-Duff Meltzer
Reminds me that I need to renew my subscription to the Rimworld Observer Newsletter.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Look at this little bitch just sitting in vomit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Breaking down bengal's last post:
tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 am Tactics question - is the game default to attack the crap out of the settlement when things are going too well?
The game uses a variety of AI "storytellers" to determine the type/frequency/intensity of the different events that happen. I'm using the one that is the most random, but in general, yes, the threats you face usually get stronger as your settlement becomes larger and more prosperous.

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 am Should we be considering preemptive attacks on the assholes who keep attacking our settlement?
Yes, you can do this. There was actually a recent instance where we successfully attacked an enemy outpost as a favor for another faction, but I left it out of the update since it was relatively one-sided and not as eventful as some of the other things that happened. I can see about working another offensive operation into our plans if it's practical.

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 am If so, can nonlinear be in the vanguard of such attack?
Sure!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Then that's my default vote. Nonlinear gotta earn some trust as the tip of spear...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:16 am If we choose to execute will that precipitate a series of follow up polls where we get to choose how he dies and which colonist does the deed? Because if so....
Yeah, kill the fucker!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am Then that's my default vote. Nonlinear gotta earn some trust as the tip of spear...
Or this.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So, looks like the poll is coming down on the side of offing Nonlinear.

Had an idea that's similar to what's been mentioned here: We can send him on a "scouting mission" to a heavily defended enemy base by himself and let him get too close for comfort.

Or if you guys want to toss out other ideas, I can compile and put up a poll. Would need to be things that are feasible under the game mechanics though.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Have played for a few hours since, but not as much of note has happened as I hoped (or at least not compared to what we've seen so far).

So when we last left off, we had voted that Nonlinear deserved to die for killing Sabo. We're going to do this in an indirect way, by sending him on a one-man "scouting" mission to an encampment of one of our enemy factions, the People of Lerlourbar, shown here. It's roughly three and a half days away on foot.

We load up Nonlinear with just enough supplies for a one-way trip and send him on his way.

Welp, it doesn't take long for Nonlinear's drug withdrawal to kick in again, and he starts having breakdowns along the way, causing him to fall behind his traveling pace and exhaust valuable supplies.

Eventually, he collapses around two-thirds of the way, here, and dies of exposure. So, the job is done, though in not quite as entertaining of a way as we would have hoped.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

We don't have too long to wait to back-fill Nonlinear as we get a new crash-landing refugee. It's DSafetyGuy, who is wearing lederhosen for some reason.

DSafetyGuy spent the majority of his childhood in a coma, a fact he uses to make people feel sorry for him so he can get out of work he doesn't want to do. He comes from a society of underground tunnel-dwellers, which makes him immune to claustrophobia or any sort of need for sunlight. He has "thick skin, dense flesh, and durable bones" which makes him 50% harder to kill than a normal person.

Here's the latest BFJ sculpture update:
- P.D.X. catching fire as several ferrets watch him burn to death (we'll keep this one to use in place of a grave marker)
- Sabo trudging through a snowy forest and getting hypothermia
- a condor wearing a suit of armor
- a donkey suspended in the air over a campsite "in a graffiti-like style"
- two depictions of BFJ "polishing a sculpture" which I'll leave to your interpretation
- an artwork of "the minor celebrity Nelly" Didn't know he had fallen that far
- brian massaging his wrists near a horseshoe pin, flanked by two flamingos

Should hopefully have more decent content after the weekend.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hot shit!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I feel like adding a character with "thick skin" and "dense flesh" is a direct response to the proliferation of biting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:56 am Here's the latest BFJ sculpture update:
- P.D.X. catching fire as several ferrets watch him burn to death (we'll keep this one to use in place of a grave marker)
- Sabo trudging through a snowy forest and getting hypothermia
- a condor wearing a suit of armor
- a donkey suspended in the air over a campsite "in a graffiti-like style"
- two depictions of BFJ "polishing a sculpture" which I'll leave to your interpretation
- an artwork of "the minor celebrity Nelly" Didn't know he had fallen that far
- brian massaging his wrists near a horseshoe pin, flanked by two flamingos
Can we see some of this art?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I waited a week to find out I can't hike very well.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:07 am I feel like adding a character with "thick skin" and "dense flesh" is a direct response to the proliferation of biting.
I feel that the "50% harder to kill" thing is going to eventually make things uncomfortable for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"Commence Operation Hide Behind DSG!"
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:37 am "Commence Operation Hide Behind DSG!"
I mean, of all the times to use "DSafe"....
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: RIMWORLD 2020: The Great White North

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry for the delay again. Biggest issue is that we've gotten to a point in the game where we don't often see much that hasn't happened before. I've installed a few mods that will hopefully introduce some new types of events that liven up the story.

Another mechanoid base springs up, bigger than what we've seen before. We'll need to take it out before it fully activates and starts spewing out death robots.

We adopt a similar strategy as before where we remain behind cover while BFJ calls in Imperial troops to absorb most of the damage. We're able to take out the mechs without too much trouble, although TT took a few electric shocks, leaving him frazzled. Gunpowder then tells him a joke about eating without tables that was apparently too much to bear and he collapses into a catatonic breakdown. We haul him to the infirmary but he'll be OK.

Gunpowder has just gone nuts at this point and has taken to wearing a sombrero he got from a dead raider, so I've decide to just let it be.

Then on the way back to the base BFJ insults one of the Imperial troops, Placidia, who beats him up, resulting in the loss of one of his toes.

By the way, we've acquired a new pet, an otter named Wizard, who we have trained to fight. So whoever wanted an otter at the outset, you have your wish belatedly.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Insult sprees continue to plague us.

Image Image Image Image Image
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Another new crashlanding refugee. It's wlu_lax!

Wlu_lax was the sole survivor of a raid against his tribe, leaving deep psychological scars that resulted in him being a pacifist. He turned his deep knowledge of nature into a career as a healer. He has an uncommonly strong immune system and is a masochist who enjoys being hurt. He also has a chronic drinking problem, which may cause use issues at some point.

We get another request from the Red Empire to house a couple of prisoners in exchange for the promise of some neat technology as a reward. We accept and the two prisoners arrive: Nobu and Lester. Nobu looks like he's in prison for being a sex offender, if you ask me.

Well, it didn't take long for wlu_lax's issues to manifest, as just a few days in he goes through a bout of alcohol withdrawal that makes his head spin on his body as he spews vomit everywhere like in The Exorcist. Here he is after upchucking all over the prison cell. That's the most vomit I've ever seen in one place on this game, which is saying a lot.

Then a while later Lester beats up Nobu in the cell. I think I was right about Nobu.

After housing the prisoners for most of the spring and summer, the Imperial shuttle arrives to retrieve them and we get our rewards: some "techprints" that will allow us to install certain bionic modifications as we wish. I'll have more details on this with the next update.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Hey guys, been playing a little more. Most recent development is that we got some "techprints" from the last quest reward that will allow us to install some bionic modifications as we wish. Here are the available ones. If you're one of the living colonists, you can volunteer to have one of these installed on yourself:

Drill Arm: You have a big-ass drill instead of an arm, allowing you to mine through rock more effectively.

Field Hand: One of your hands is basically like Edward Scissorhands, allowing you to harvest and plant crops more effectively.

Joywire: Stimulates the brain's pleasure centers, making the user unnaturally happy at all times, but making it hard to concentrate on the real world. Comes with a warning that it is illegal on many worlds, and has been known to destroy entire cultures.

Paintstopper: Makes the user impervious to pain, which has its advantages but also dangers, as it can lead them to ignore life-threatening injuries.

Mindscrew: Inflicts continuous pain on the user. Used as a punishment/torture device in some penal systems. Not sure why anyone would voluntarily install this, but be my guest.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Field Hand seems the most useful. I guess Drill Hand, too.

/unsolicited obvious points
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Could I be disinterred and have the joywire installed?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Painstopper!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’d take Field Hand. Just call me Ole 9 Toes. I can’t fight for shit, I could harvest and paint and sculpt and use my brain power thingy.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of updates. Have a number of things going on both work-related and personal.

I've played some more, but the biggest issue is that I'm at a stage in the game where there aren't too many things happening that aren't just going to seem like variations on what you've seen before. We've got a sustainable base up and running and are able to meet most threats.

The only thing I can think of to make it more "entertaining" is to ratchet up the difficulty and/or add some random shit to the game via mods, and see if it would trigger some catastrophic turn of events where we go out in a blaze of glory.

I also want to see about getting OOTP up and running, but that takes some preparation, so it would help to clear my plate a little.

Let me know what you think.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No expectation on how frequently this gets updated. So if it just rolls slow, that is okay. If you ramp it up, that is okay. If you go mad scientist, that is okay too.