Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Reaper »

Von Miller tests positive, after Brian Allen of the Rams was the first active NFLer to announce his positive test earlier in the week.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Glad he didn't try to bribe his way out of the test this time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's too bad the WNBA season doesn't start until Memorial Day because it would be a good trial/guinea pig to see how an extreme solution like playing all games in one city/facility could go. And if they were able to pull it off imagine what kind of a boost it would be for a league like the WNBA. Being literally the only sport going on in America?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A younger me would throw out a “can’t risk an ACL surgery right now” joke.

(Is that still a thing with female players and it just doesn’t make news anymore or did people figure out prevention?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It’s still a thing.

But as interesting as it is, Brian’s proposal has tremendous backfire potential unfortunately.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:42 pm A younger me would throw out a “can’t risk an ACL surgery right now” joke.

(Is that still a thing with female players and it just doesn’t make news anymore or did people figure out prevention?
My daughter's soccer trainer does a lot of strength and conditioning that supposedly reduces risk of ACL tears as part of their daily warmups. Mostly working small stabilizing muscle's in the legs and jumping and landing in a way that reduces stress on the ACL.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

No-Vaxx Joke a Bitch, am I too late?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I don’t love motor sports but is it wrong that I would rather watch I racing? I don’t like watching people almost die every week.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:38 am Some other shit Djokovic believes

The bread anecdote!
Yeah, that one’s especially wild because Djokovic from the end of 2010 to the start of 2011 had the biggest single offseason jump in stamina and fitness I’ve ever seen from a pro athlete. A lot of tennis fans rolled their eyes at the “gluten allergy” explanation at the time and suspected it was cover for an illicit doping program.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Stumbled on this...

Insanity. I remember feeling so bad for Freddie Patek.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fox News: "Did Yankee Thug Chambliss Need To Push Fans?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since Trump is a Yankees fan I don't think Fox News would be calling Yankees players thugs, especially white ones.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:03 am Since Trump is a Yankees fan I don't think Fox News would be calling Yankees players thugs, especially white ones.
Chambliss is white?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Damn, all these years I thought he was white. Those grainy videos from the 70s suck. My larger point still stands.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So if Bundesliga comes back first, I'm obviously going to watch a lot and want a team to key on even if not as "a fan". I'd do Leipzig for Adams but I can't root for any Red Bull. Werder Bremen is Sargent but the name sounds way too much like a Nazi general. Reyna is Dortmund but so is Sancho and that might hurt too much? Most logical would be Fortuna Düsseldorf for Steffen but would they even have games shown? Schalke 04 and McKinnie? Help.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:45 pm So if Bundesliga comes back first, I'm obviously going to watch a lot and want a team to key on even if not as "a fan". I'd do Leipzig for Adams but I can't root for any Red Bull. Werder Bremen is Sargent but the name sounds way too much like a Nazi general. Reyna is Dortmund but so is Sancho and that might hurt too much? Most logical would be Fortuna Düsseldorf for Steffen but would they even have games shown? Schalke 04 and McKinnie? Help.
Dortmund's sock game has been on point for years. +1
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:45 pm So if Bundesliga comes back first, I'm obviously going to watch a lot and want a team to key on even if not as "a fan". I'd do Leipzig for Adams but I can't root for any Red Bull. Werder Bremen is Sargent but the name sounds way too much like a Nazi general. Reyna is Dortmund but so is Sancho and that might hurt too much? Most logical would be Fortuna Düsseldorf for Steffen but would they even have games shown? Schalke 04 and McKinnie? Help.
Dortmund is a lot of fun. I fell in love with them watching Pulisic, but to be honest I haven't watched them at all this year. Partially due to Pulisic leaving, but more just a lack of time. They play a very exciting fast paced offensive game. Really beautiful and exciting to watch. Plus their home crowd creates an intense atmosphere. And they have an uncanny ability to bring in the best young talent. Whenever they sell guys like Aubamayang, Pulisic and Sancho, they are able to immediately fill the spot with a younger player on the cusp of stardom. You just have to be ready with the knowledge that they develop players and end up selling stars, not buying insanely overpriced superstars like Citeh.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's really hard not to choose Dortmund here. They play like current Liverpool and Citeh from a few years ago. Bremen/Sargent are/is probably getting relegated.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If Fox does not use this as an opportunity to win the US hearts and minds from EPL, that is a total miss. They have always been 2nd fiddle on FS1 and FS2 to EPL on NBC. But if you are the only game in town, not competing with football, hoops, and baseball....you go big with programming, story telling, American highlighting (and Latin story telling), studio work, explain some history of these clubs (Sorry made up RB Leizpeg), Men in Lederhosen etc. Get Grant Wahl on a freelance/contracting basis to start....leverage the positive MLS relationship they have created with ESPN/ABC so Sports Center does not bury them.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The real-life inspiration for Nuke LaLoosh, Steve Dalkowski, dead at 80. According to some stories, he threw a high school no hitter where he struck out 18, and walked the same amount.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Reaper wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:21 pm The real-life inspiration for Nuke LaLoosh, Steve Dalkowski, dead at 80. According to some stories, he threw a high school no hitter where he struck out 18, and walked the same amount.
Not the same of course but in senior league I was the first baseman for a guy who struck out 20 batters in a no hitter. Seven innings. A few walks and one pop up. I guess we were 15 years old.

He also struck out 18 in a little league game of six innings but I don’t think it was a no hitter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

JFC. I'm all for safety precautions, probably more than most, but this is fucking too far:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29 ... oronavirus
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:53 pm JFC. I'm all for safety precautions, probably more than most, but this is fucking too far:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29 ... oronavirus
Are kids even going to be playing Little League this summer? That seems unlikely to start with.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're stomping all over my joke, man.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This was supposed to be Harper's first year playing softball and she was really into trying it. Her cousin (my niece) played Division III so Harper thought it was cool that she was giving her pointers. However, her coaches were awful. Way too young and they did not have their shit together at all. So, we were not sad at all they canceled the season.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Most sports, you can kind of fuck around and let the kids muddle through drills and the coaches can kind of figure shit out.

Not softball/baseball. You have to have your shit on lockdown, scheduled, everyone moving, always on point. Stations of 4 or 5 players, rotating, lots of movement, keep them active and attentive.

You don't keep their attention and it's a fucking shit show. I actually took a lot of my learning from being a baseball camp counselor to be a better soccer coach, because WAY too many soccer coaches just run the entire team through the slog of one drill after another, when you can pretty easily create a more layered approach and have groups doing their own thing... Kids like to keep things moving.

Also, young coaches who aren't very good tend to also not be great with safety. Which, again, is especially problematic with base/softball.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Throw in a 6-year-old who acts like she did a line before getting out of the car and it was a shit show indeed. Only made worse by one of our last outings before the bars shut down was with one of the coaches for her friends' team who was the exact opposite...we were at maximum bummage we had such shitty coaches before the league was done.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 pm Von Miller tests positive, after Brian Allen of the Rams was the first active NFLer to announce his positive test earlier in the week.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The more I hear about the ideas for 're-opening' sports...like the 'Put all the NBA playoff teams in one city, put them in a bubble' idea, or the ideas Simmons bounced around on his pod with the guy from the NFL network makes me think there is NO WAY any of that is going to happen.

What players are going to agree to being locked down in a hotel for months at a time? Along with all the needed support staff? I just can't picture it happening.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think the Premier League players saying "nope" is a pretty good indicator.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 am I think the Premier League players saying "nope" is a pretty good indicator.
Yeah...for sure.

And I don't see anyway in hell college football happens this fall, considering they start training camps the first part of August.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:48 am The more I hear about the ideas for 're-opening' sports...like the 'Put all the NBA playoff teams in one city, put them in a bubble' idea, or the ideas Simmons bounced around on his pod with the guy from the NFL network makes me think there is NO WAY any of that is going to happen.

What players are going to agree to being locked down in a hotel for months at a time? Along with all the needed support staff? I just can't picture it happening.
And when a test malfunctions and a player has the virus, but goes to the stadium/arena where one-third/one-half/all of the players go and works out, eats a meal, plays a game, takes a shower, etc., then what?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 am I think the Premier League players saying "nope" is a pretty good indicator.
Yeah...for sure.

And I don't see anyway in hell college football happens this fall, considering they start training camps the first part of August.
Not to mention spring practices.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

big opportunity for minor leagues. Of course millionaires who have made it won't want to play. No pressure. But minor league players in all sports would sacrifice family for a chance to shine for a bit. Not sure what TV impact and fan reaction would be, but if the NBA is a no go, the G-leaguers or MILB folks would probably sacrifice for $ and a shot.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm big opportunity for minor leagues. Of course millionaires who have made it won't want to play. No pressure. But minor league players in all sports would sacrifice family for a chance to shine for a bit. Not sure what TV impact and fan reaction would be, but if the NBA is a no go, the G-leaguers or MILB folks would probably sacrifice for $ and a shot.
And probably be labelled as scabs for their effort.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

As I was saying...

Bundesliga restart blow as three test positive for coronavirus at Cologne
Berlin (AFP) – Three people have tested positive for coronavirus at Cologne and will be placed into a 14-day quarantine, the Bundesliga club said Friday in a potential blow to hopes of restarting the German football season this month.

“Cologne had the entire team and coaching staff, along with the backroom staff, tested on Thursday for COVID-19. Three people tested positive, all are symptom free,” the club said in a statement on its website.

“After an assessment of the cases by the responsible health authorities, the three people who tested positive will go into a 14-day quarantine at home.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:14 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm big opportunity for minor leagues. Of course millionaires who have made it won't want to play. No pressure. But minor league players in all sports would sacrifice family for a chance to shine for a bit. Not sure what TV impact and fan reaction would be, but if the NBA is a no go, the G-leaguers or MILB folks would probably sacrifice for $ and a shot.
And probably be labelled as scabs for their effort.
I was really thinking about the whole league playing. I.E. minor league sports get the spotlight, not the pro leagues coming back.