Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:21 pm It’s wild how every single one of the university campus outbreaks has been due to off-campus parties.
If by 'wild' you mean 'completely predicatable'...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:21 pm It’s wild how every single one of the university campus outbreaks has been due to off-campus parties.
See it isn't the students! It's interlopers from the community at large! Probably antifa!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 pm
I find it impossible to judge these kids too harshly. I really can't say that 19 year old me would be able to follow the rules while living at school.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:19 am
I find it impossible to judge these kids too harshly. I really can't say that 19 year old me would be able to follow the rules while living at school.
Oh, I know for sure 19 year old me wouldn't be able to follow the rules. My contempt is more for the School administrators who are trying to proceed like business-as-usual.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

And pass responsibility off to someone else.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:33 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:19 am
Oh, I know for sure 19 year old me wouldn't be able to follow the rules. My contempt is more for the School administrators who are trying to proceed like business-as-usual.
Because you know damn well, that the safety of the students is nowhere near the top of their list of priorities.

Some of these schools have massive endowments - yet very few of them are even offering substantial discounts for students who choose not to stay on or near campus.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Never change, Florida.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I’m hanging out at Zions Bank Stadium in lovely Herriman, Utah. With 200 of my closest friends - but not too close - for Real Monarchs vs New Mexico United.

God it’s nice. And minor league soccer with a sparse crowd is perfect for attending during a pandemic. Don’t feel too obliged to scream at the refs.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks to the 'Rona...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Alrightie... season starts tomorrow (but none of our teams play until sunday) held last pre-season meeting.. confirmed all teams are registered, all players are registered, all have cards.. we distributed safety packages for all coaches (masks, gloves and whatnot), have finalized game day protocols to distribute to away teams... somehow managed to use every bit of available space in town so we could limit the number of teams training on any given night... but the best part is seeing how the new board members all stepped up and did what was needed to get us off the ground while the folks working themselves out of their roles as their kids age out took a back seat...now to hope we keep town's record and not have any exposures or cases (three weeks+ running) for the next ten weeks... the boy is training with his new club as of this week, and HS tryouts (for a team that doesn't have cuts) start monday.. oh and the gym at the Y is open, by appointment.. limiting to 11 people in a space that fit 100.. and time in between appts for disinfecting.. hoping to get time in the weight room (failed at finding more weights for home) althought some how i've lost 9lbs since march.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 am Alrightie... season starts tomorrow (but none of our teams play until sunday) held last pre-season meeting.. confirmed all teams are registered, all players are registered, all have cards.. we distributed safety packages for all coaches (masks, gloves and whatnot), have finalized game day protocols to distribute to away teams... somehow managed to use every bit of available space in town so we could limit the number of teams training on any given night... but the best part is seeing how the new board members all stepped up and did what was needed to get us off the ground while the folks working themselves out of their roles as their kids age out took a back seat...now to hope we keep town's record and not have any exposures or cases (three weeks+ running) for the next ten weeks... the boy is training with his new club as of this week, and HS tryouts (for a team that doesn't have cuts) start monday.. oh and the gym at the Y is open, by appointment.. limiting to 11 people in a space that fit 100.. and time in between appts for disinfecting.. hoping to get time in the weight room (failed at finding more weights for home) althought some how i've lost 9lbs since march.
Hopefully you don't have any more coaches telling opposing teams your fields are hotbeds for viral infections. [3 years ago when I was coaching, we played in Flaco's town. Opposing coach warned us that their turf field was causing viral infections. My co-coach told one player's father as a joke, and he freaked out and refused to show for the game, and didn't have the decency to tell us he wasn't coming].
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

ja!
that guy took his daughter and several others to Valencia. good riddance. Its a turf field, about as hygienic as the next one.

no, actually pretty happy w the current crop of coaches and board members. only have one real problem coaching team.. the assistant has been bugging me to convince the league to let a kid play down... he went as far as calling NJYS and USYS after i told him the league wouldn't allow it. who knows what he told the parents.. they knew the kid couldn't play... at one point he mentioned uploading a new bc to show a different birth year.. had an ex-board member reach out to me saying she could it easily..initially i said i didn't want to know anything about it.. two hours later once i had time to think about it (he called me middle of workday)... i told him NO. not going to allow it.. last night when he was telling me about USYS... he said they told him to do a new bc... btw, the hc has no idea about this and the parents are pissed i wouldn't allow it.
its. fucking.travel.soccer. the kid can play in the spring when we add hs age teams (which will be made up of the kid's all team all of whom moved up to the hs)
fucking losers. want to cheat and make exceptions because they're so fucking special. where's the integrity? so everybody does it, so that's ok?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am ja!
that guy took his daughter and several others to Valencia. good riddance. Its a turf field, about as hygienic as the next one.

no, actually pretty happy w the current crop of coaches and board members. only have one real problem coaching team.. the assistant has been bugging me to convince the league to let a kid play down... he went as far as calling NJYS and USYS after i told him the league wouldn't allow it. who knows what he told the parents.. they knew the kid couldn't play... at one point he mentioned uploading a new bc to show a different birth year.. had an ex-board member reach out to me saying she could it easily..initially i said i didn't want to know anything about it.. two hours later once i had time to think about it (he called me middle of workday)... i told him NO. not going to allow it.. last night when he was telling me about USYS... he said they told him to do a new bc... btw, the hc has no idea about this and the parents are pissed i wouldn't allow it.
its. fucking.travel.soccer. the kid can play in the spring when we add hs age teams (which will be made up of the kid's all team all of whom moved up to the hs)
fucking losers. want to cheat and make exceptions because they're so fucking special. where's the integrity? so everybody does it, so that's ok?
Wait, they wanted to alter a birth certificate so the kid could play in a younger age group? That's insane!

ETA: On second thought, tell the parent to appeal to NJYS saying "My kid is 14, but he identifies as 13."
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Youth sports are way better when organized with overlapping age groups:

2005/2006
2006/2007
2007/2008
2008/2009
2009/2010
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i agree - banding should be up and down --
but that doesn't change the fact that NJYS doesn't allow a player to play down... and offering to alter a bc to play travel soccer? not even a flight 1 team? that's ridiculous.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 am i agree - banding should be up and down --
but that doesn't change the fact that NJYS doesn't allow a player to play down... and offering to alter a bc to play travel soccer? not even a flight 1 team? that's ridiculous.
Ridiculous and probably a crime.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

ECNL/U of Wisconsin study on youth soccer
https://www.soccerwire.com/news/ecnl-sh ... -covid-19/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Go Sawx?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One of the towns that has a contract with the health department my wife works for had an 8th grader test positive earlier this week. Close contacts in school have been quarantined. The mother of one of those quarantined kids emailed the health officer for a dispensation for her son because it is imperative that he be allowed to play in a middle school football game this weekend.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:41 pm One of the towns that has a contract with the health department my wife works for had an 8th grader test positive earlier this week. Close contacts in school have been quarantined. The mother of one of those quarantined kids emailed the health officer for a dispensation for her son because it is imperative that he be allowed to play in a middle school football game this weekend.
Trump has definitely bungled up shit to a huge degree, but it's also fair to say this country never stood a great chance of being able to keep COVID under serious control as stupid as most of the people in this country are. Like, people try to pin 175K of the deaths on Trump and that's number's probably closer to 100K.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"But he's their star left guard!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:44 pm
rass wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:41 pm One of the towns that has a contract with the health department my wife works for had an 8th grader test positive earlier this week. Close contacts in school have been quarantined. The mother of one of those quarantined kids emailed the health officer for a dispensation for her son because it is imperative that he be allowed to play in a middle school football game this weekend.
Trump has definitely bungled up shit to a huge degree, but it's also fair to say this country never stood a great chance of being able to keep COVID under serious control as stupid as most of the people in this country are. Like, people try to pin 175K of the deaths on Trump and that's number's probably closer to 100K.
If we had the same per capita death rate as Canada, which is maybe the absolute best case scenario, there’d have been about 135K fewer deaths to date. So your estimate that Trump’s mistakes are maybe responsible for 100K excess deaths seems reasonable to me.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Joe K wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:02 pm
brian wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:44 pm
If we had the same per capita death rate as Canada, which is maybe the absolute best case scenario, there’d have been about 135K fewer deaths to date. So your estimate that Trump’s mistakes are maybe responsible for 100K excess deaths seems reasonable to me.
I don't know if you guys heard, but he's actually done a tremendous job and it would have been millions, maybe billions dead if it wasn't for him.

Get with the program sheeple.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm actually surprised they've never started a "without Trump there would have been an attack that makes 9-11 look like nothing" talking point.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

It’s the classic Idiot Paradox. Any country stupid enough to elect Trump is not smart enough to follow the simple guidelines to slow transmission. In that sense it’s hard to say it’s been his fault.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

There's a reasonable chance Tampa Bay could be the title holders in the three major sports they have entries in. City of Champions is not something I ever thought I would associate with TB.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 pm There's a reasonable chance Tampa Bay could be the title holders in the three major sports they have entries in. City of Champions is not something I ever thought I would associate with TB.
Make that two of us.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 pm There's a reasonable chance Tampa Bay could be the title holders in the three major sports they have entries in. City of Champions is not something I ever thought I would associate with TB.
I get the Bolts and the Rays. Do you really think the Bucs are Super Bowl contenders?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rams Fanny wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 pm City of Champions is not something I ever thought I would associate with TB.
Don’t I know it.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 pm
I get the Bolts and the Rays. Do you really think the Bucs are Super Bowl contenders?
Favorites? No. Contenders? Yes. Until Brady retires, his team has to be considered a threat.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Having international matches during a pandemic is so stupid...

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So stupid.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Why do coaches pull down masks to scream?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

High schools could give a fuck about your Corona. Pats? Belichick can't go. HS in Georgia? Game on. 4 games (futebol lite) this weekend in my house. Shit trickles down and there are NO adults in the room. Apparently including dad.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Santa Clara forcefully overrules state, won't reopen Levi's Stadium despite new guidelines
On Tuesday, the California Health and Human Services agency provided guidelines for fans to attend in-person professional sporting events, which the county of Santa Clara quickly and forcefully shot down.

The guidelines, detailed by state Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly, are at the moment only relevant to two NorCal teams: the San Francisco 49ers and San Jose Earthquakes. The Niners and Earthquakes play in Santa Clara, a county in the "moderate" range of COVID-19 spread, according to the state's tiered reopening plan. Based on that designation, the 49ers' Levi's Stadium would be allowed to attain 20% capacity, or roughly 13,000 fans. If Santa Clara County reaches the "minimal" designation of COVID-19 cases, then the stadium could increase to 25% capacity.

But in an ensuing press conference on Tuesday afternoon, Santa Clara County Executive Dr. Jeff Smith blasted the idea of in-person spectators. "It makes no sense whatsoever to have audiences at stadiums, particularly when there is a model to do it without audiences in a much safer way so that the only individuals who'd be put at risk are players, the refs, and their families [who are] getting constant tests," Smith said. "Putting an audience in a stadium in large groups is just asking for trouble. It's like a Petri dish."

Smith was not swayed by a list of restrictions the state promises it will impose on spectators, including ticket sales only for customers within a 120-mile radius, eating and drinking in assigned seats only, mandatory face coverings except while eating and drinking, and no tailgating. He said the 120-mile rule means Californians in other areas currently experiencing COVID-19 spikes could head to football and soccer games, and that all attendees will be using the same entrances, bathrooms, and concessions stands, which could easily trigger a superspreader event.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the Washington FT isn't allowing fans until Nov 8, at the earliest. The county where their stadium resides is one of the two more strict locations in MD. (I live in the adjacent county, also pretty cautious.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I mentioned in another thread that the girls soccer team at the HS in town is currently quarantined, and that the freshman on that team make up a good chunk of my oldest kid's travel soccer team. We're still close with a bunch of families on the team, and someone sent us a screenshot of a screenshot that someone posted to the team's Team Snap chat yesterday. It appears to be an email from a doctor revealing their daughter's negative CV19 test result, which is probably oversharing as-is. But they must have received a text just as they took the screenshot and didn't notice when they posted. The text read as follows:
Babe (cat) wrote:I need to stop watching shameless before I get hornier lol
The girls on the team are on the chat and spent all last night clowning on the picture.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:23 am I mentioned in another thread that the girls soccer team at the HS in town is currently quarantined, and that the freshman on that team make up a good chunk of my oldest kid's travel soccer team. We're still close with a bunch of families on the team, and someone sent us a screenshot of a screenshot that someone posted to the team's Team Snap chat yesterday. It appears to be an email from a doctor revealing their daughter's negative CV19 test result, which is probably oversharing as-is. But they must have received a text just as they took the screenshot and didn't notice when they posted. The text read as follows:
Babe (cat) wrote:I need to stop watching shameless before I get hornier lol
The girls on the team are on the chat and spent all last night clowning on the picture.
Sorry about that that text rass, but my infatuation with William H. Macy knows no bounds and I know you're with me on that.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the NHL wants to start their next regular season Jan 1, 2020. They were saying Dec 1, 2020, but that now looks unlikely. Stay tuned. And, unlike other major sports, the NHL doesn't have a lucrative television contract, so they depend on butts in the seats to a greater extent than the others. But, unlike football and baseball, they play indoors, which creates a greater coronavirus risk. So, what is the league to do?

Segue to... I have been part of a San Jose Sharks' season ticket group for over twenty years - since the team was founded. After the founders of our group moved on, I became our group's administrator. We had to commit to our 2020-2021 tickets way back in February, before Covid was an issue. We paid 1/3 of our ticket cost before they froze things to figure out what's going on next season. So, I received an email from the team recently, advertising the next season, and the team's hope that they'll start playing sooner rather than later. But, the big news was that the Sharks told us we have the option of opting out of our ticket commitment for the 2020-2021 season, and then come back in with our same seats for the 2021-2022 season. (The idea being that enough people will opt out for one season, so they can hopefully have adequate social distancing in the stands for the people who don't opt out this coming season.) Of course, the team will hold the money we've already paid on account.

So, now I have to herd all the cats in the group to get some kind of a consensus on whether we are in or out this season. I can see good reasons for either decision, but personally I'm voting we opt out and avoid the near-term Covid risk (and avoid a possibly very weak Sharks' season - but that's another discussion.) And, hopefully, life will be more normal in the 2021-2022 season.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:30 pm So, the NHL wants to start their next regular season Jan 1, 2020. They were saying Dec 1, 2020, but that now looks unlikely. Stay tuned. And, unlike other major sports, the NHL doesn't have a lucrative television contract, so they depend on butts in the seats to a greater extent than the others. But, unlike football and baseball, they play indoors, which creates a greater coronavirus risk. So, what is the league to do?

Segue to... I have been part of a San Jose Sharks' season ticket group for over twenty years - since the team was founded. After the founders of our group moved on, I became our group's administrator. We had to commit to our 2020-2021 tickets way back in February, before Covid was an issue. We paid 1/3 of our ticket cost before they froze things to figure out what's going on next season. So, I received an email from the team recently, advertising the next season, and the team's hope that they'll start playing sooner rather than later. But, the big news was that the Sharks told us we have the option of opting out of our ticket commitment for the 2020-2021 season, and then come back in with our same seats for the 2021-2022 season. (The idea being that enough people will opt out for one season, so they can hopefully have adequate social distancing in the stands for the people who don't opt out this coming season.) Of course, the team will hold the money we've already paid on account.

So, now I have to herd all the cats in the group to get some kind of a consensus on whether we are in or out this season. I can see good reasons for either decision, but personally I'm voting we opt out and avoid the near-term Covid risk (and avoid a possibly very weak Sharks' season - but that's another discussion.) And, hopefully, life will be more normal in the 2021-2022 season.
In a similar boat here. When my old firm decided to stop paying for my pair of seats, I started sharing my season tickets with 5 other guys, and am essentially the named STM and the admin of the plan. I'm on the pay per month plan with the team, and have now paid 1/2 of "next season's" tickets, which are still priced at the full cost as if there will be a 41 game slate of home games. There may have been some discussion of opting out for a season, but I don't remember it.

I also don't see the season starting on Jan 1.