Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by brian »

VGK gave you one month off when COVID first hit and then after that it was "fuck you, pay me". (I'm being a little harsh since it wasn't really presented like that), but that said I've now paid for all of a season where there's going to be basically no fans allowed. Curious if I'm going to be able to just get a refund or if they're gonna make me apply it towards 2021-22, not that it really matters much since I'm not gonna be able to go to the games then either.

I'm not too worried about it -- I'd rather have the $10K in my bank account than theirs but it's gonna be coming back to me one day, one way or another.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

You are not Zlatan

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's great.

It could be abbreviated into some kind of text phrase.

"YANZ"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that is great. Next time one of you'ns pisses me off, I will say, "But, you are not Zlatan!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Remember this is the guy who when signing with the Galaxy did this in the LA Times Sports Section

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay so I just got the Preliminary Rules adjustment for Virginia High School Lacrosse this spring.

So this seems okay
* Limit only essential personnel to work the table
* Expand the sideline area where players and coaches stand to allow spacing
* Clear face shields can be worn
* Limit attendees for pregame meetings to 1 coach from each team and the officials and that it is not near people
* Eliminate handshakes (lacrosse does them before the game for starters and the usually line afterward)

The one that is sending the community through the roof
* Eliminate faceoffs.. Flip a coin and you get the ball. Ball goes to the team that got scored on at midfield after a goal
* No body contact, stick checks only
* Contested loose balls will be blown dead and give to a team via alternate possession
* Some crazy pregame stick check process the has the players put their sticks in a line and the ref checks them all away from the players (while wearing gloves)

Also making game times go down 2 minutes per quarter.

Now if these are the rules for lacrosse...what the hell are they doing for football, basketball, and wrestling.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

that's crazy talk.
ah, what do i know. last time i watched lax was in college.

was coming here to share...
board meeting last night. patting ourselves on the back for 8 weeks of fall soccer (on top of spring online training and summer camps) with no problems..

ffwd to today. since 2p on multiple calls.. just finished the last of three mass emails... two kids in two teams.. both with close family contact (mom and older brother who got infected at indoor hockey tournament!!).. had to let everyone know... trainers quarantined until they have a neg test.. both teams shut down for a week.. fun times...so far no one has responded, although i'm sure i'll hear from the mayor at some point.. last time we had a similar scare he asked me to 'use a scalpel, not a sledgehammer' and not cancel anything.

in the middle of all this... get called down to the field around 8p... one of our coaches who happens to be club ex-president, got into altercation with trainer for another team.. he was annoyed that he had to run a session at last minute (cause his trainer is quarantined).. goes to move goals that another trainer had set up for her session.. he doesn't talk to her (much better on text and email this guy) just grabs the goals.. she goes ballistic.. he responds.. she calls him an asshat..all the kids hear it.. few minutes later mr prez (me) gets multiple phone calls. get down to the field.. tell trainer bad idea to curse out coaches in front of kids, tell coach he should talk to people and ask to use equipment already in use.. and for ffs grow the fuck up. luckily had scheduled a quiet afternoon and work didn't blow up.

anyway - to date no issues with kids within the club passing on to other kids within the club (or adults) - still playing 2x a week and my son still playing for HS and his club 7x a week.. he has two games this weekend. i'll wear my mask on the sideline out of respect for the organizers.. and will wear my mask on my sunday league play as its old guys and they want the masks on. tomorrow though.. full pick up scrimmage in the boggy field.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Flaco, thanks for the reminder of why I didn't volunteer for the club beyond coaching. So many headaches.

Shocked we are two weeks out from the end of the soccer season, and no issues. I let my daughter play starting in July, assuming it'd get shut down by September or whenever the games started. We did get a notification last week that a trainer at another location (the club has 4 locations, I thin they are just rebranded travel teams that feed into the main club, but I'm still confused) was in contact with someone who tested positive. Trainer tested negative, but she quarantined for 14 days and I think they shut the teams she trained down for a week. Pretty impressed the level of communication to keep updating us, even though we are in a different region. I could see a rumor getting out that a trainer was positive, and people assuming it was at their location and freak out that they weren't informed.

My daughter's basketball coach is planning on trying to field a team. League is accepting registrations, but not taking money until a final decision is made. So far schools are waiting to decide whether to allow use of the gyms. I really want to let her play. I think it's great to have a second sport, and she really liked basketball and took to it very quickly. If she doesn't play this year, I have a feeling she won't get to play again. I just can't imagine basketball as the number of cases are already increasing pretty rapidly. Being indoors, and right in each others faces just seems much more dangerous to me than outdoor soccer. I said not to count on my daughter playing but to keep in in the loop in case they actually have a league and things don't get as bad as I expect.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Up in Ann Arbor, we pretty routinely shoveled off outdoor courts to play pick up. I would think they could try and make something work with outdoor venues.

I wouldn't be very comfortable inside a gym right now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Seems like full go but no hoops and futsal here. Found a 5v5 outdoors just to have something Saturdays. Conditioning where I can find it outside but even the track programs are inside already breathing on each other. Cross country seems like it's ending. Family workouts only lasted 2.5 weeks in spring.

Regular season finished 3-7 last weekend. Best player called up to new mls league team halfway. Pretty exciting but not so good for the scoreboard. Gave up on possession to hang on mostly. Entire team needs to raise it's game or will get outclassed in spring. One more tournament then we'll bunker down some and hope March comes with shots.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:14 pm Up in Ann Arbor, we pretty routinely shoveled off outdoor courts to play pick up. I would think they could try and make something work with outdoor venues.

I wouldn't be very comfortable inside a gym right now.
I signed her up for an outdoor soccer clinic that runs from mid-November through end of January. Would have thought that was crazy a year ago, but I want to make sure she has some sports activity. Her club just decided to cancel their indoor winter session. They used to to training 3 days a week in a huge bubble dome facility. The facility invested in the CDC recommended air filtration system, and they've been open and running since the summer. The facility is planning on staying open through the winter and booking various sports, but I'm glad the club cancelled so I don't have to make that decision. Instead, they are extending outdoor practices an extra month after the season ends, through mid-December. We'll see if we continue driving all the way out there for those.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Our club is organizing outdoor winter soccer for U-7-U19. Games only league on the weekend and optional training under the lights one night a week. We have some covid-protocols in place.

Glad they are trying to do something. They used to run a futsal for U-12 and below and some indoor ball masters training. But our schools are not opening up the gyms. Most of the kids on my team who play basketball said it is very likely they will play soccer because that is one of the few options they have.

Our club sent a stern email to the coaches saying they don't support us playing indoors and if we are stupid enough to do so nobody should wearing anything that says our club on it. Can't use the uniforms, don't wear the spirit wear, etc. Those indoor teams are always done away from the club but we just used the jerseys and such. I put together teams...not this year.

On the other hand I will likely get assigned to Ref at the fancy place in the area that is inside. The St. James is an facility with a Spike Mendelson restaurant, climbing wall, 2 hockey rinks, 8 or so basketball courts, Olympic pool and diving well (with a moveable wall), indoor water park, full sized turf field (one of the high schools without lights plays home football games there and DC United uses it as a practice location), golf simulator, batting cages, full gymnastic teams setup....it is crazy...not sure how they are even break even but Covid has to be a big issue for them.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

See, I'd be relatively OK playing/coaching at The St. James. Place is massive, including the "ceiling."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Will be sending out another email later tonight - a player's brother tested positive -- the family all took tests in prep for quarantine to travel to see nana on turkey day.. and lo and behold one of them tested positive. subcommitte on covid is unsure if to stop the team or not -- depending on when the test took place, etc.

i've just about had it.. just two weeks to go.

we're doing tryouts for 2012/13 this saturday and next.. have a set of parents who want us to accept their group of 9 girls as a team without tryouts.. we told them.. No. Teams are part of a club.. we're not going to ignore a group of kids simply because they aren't friends with their girls (already had a request to place the friends on the same team.. ) 48 kids signed up for it already.

no indoor footie for anyone this winter -- we'll be holding all day sessions on sat/sundays.. no trainers, just coaches. Our saturday pick up this weekend at 8am.. 35 degrees.. and sloshy pitch. i played goal first half.. thought my toes were frozen until in the second half i got stepped on.. at least i scored! then went to see the boy in his game at the HS.. beautiful pitch, 10a start.. couldn't even tell it rained for two days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:57 pm Okay so I just got the Preliminary Rules adjustment for Virginia High School Lacrosse this spring.

So this seems okay
* Limit only essential personnel to work the table
* Expand the sideline area where players and coaches stand to allow spacing
* Clear face shields can be worn
* Limit attendees for pregame meetings to 1 coach from each team and the officials and that it is not near people
* Eliminate handshakes (lacrosse does them before the game for starters and the usually line afterward)

The one that is sending the community through the roof
* Eliminate faceoffs.. Flip a coin and you get the ball. Ball goes to the team that got scored on at midfield after a goal
* No body contact, stick checks only
* Contested loose balls will be blown dead and give to a team via alternate possession
* Some crazy pregame stick check process the has the players put their sticks in a line and the ref checks them all away from the players (while wearing gloves)

Also making game times go down 2 minutes per quarter.

Now if these are the rules for lacrosse...what the hell are they doing for football, basketball, and wrestling.
Well while the state and my county are still allowing sports, the neighboring county (less than .5 mile up the hill on my street) just nixed the first of 3 shortened seasons (winter sports). They could not justify having indoor sports when they are not brining students back to school.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

so no Terps v. Ohio State....Would have been interesting to see if the the Terps are good or Penn State is really just that bad this year.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know how the football team is operating, but my daughter was on campus to celebrate Halloween with friends and reported back that it's a shitshow. No masks, zero social distancing.

(She got tested and came back negative... she won't be doing that again any time soon.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I saw somewhere on the twitters today it noted that we are 11 days out from Halloween weekend - and the explosion of cases on college campuses and in general given that seems pretty explainable...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:43 pm so no Terps v. Ohio State....
3 SEC games off this weekend.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:43 pm so no Terps v. Ohio State....
3 SEC games off this weekend.
It's up to 4.

Bama-LSU, aTm-Tennessee, Georgia-Mizzou, Auburn-Miss. St.

And I think there's a 50/50 shot UK-Vandy ends up canceled to.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Remember when it looked like the Big Ten was going to stick to their guns and not play?

Those were the days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bet the BTN, SEC Network, and such never thought that 2019 women's soccer and field hockey would get replayed so often. Glad my cable bill includes a fee for those....
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:33 pm Bet the BTN, SEC Network, and such never thought that 2019 women's soccer and field hockey would get replayed so often. Glad my cable bill includes a fee for those....
I think you may be serious here.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We got notified by her school that our oldest daughter was exposed to a student who has tested positive and has to quarantine for 14 days. Scary enough, but she has a state sectionals XC meet tomorrow. Holy fuck was she upset.

But!

She didn’t go to school on Tuesday (and her schedule has her home after that) because she was trying to avoid this situation. So we needed to know if the exposure was Monday or Tuesday. The school is supposed to be the source of the list, but they (the school nurse) couldn’t tell us what day was an issue. My wife talked to the principal*, and then pulled out her contact list to figure out which health department was responsible and to find someone to talk to.

And!

Before the health department got back to us the principal called us back and after reviewing the list they found out that our kid and three other students were on the list erroneously. We got that news in the middle of my kids tearful call to her coach. That poor guy.

So XC is on. Two days a week remote is probably off.

*the principal also let us know that she’s gonna be the student of the month - nice!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow. What an emotional roller coaster! Good for her (and you)!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:59 pm We got notified by her school that our oldest daughter was exposed to a student who has tested positive and has to quarantine for 14 days. Scary enough, but she has a state sectionals XC meet tomorrow. Holy fuck was she upset.

But!

She didn’t go to school on Tuesday (and her schedule has her home after that) because she was trying to avoid this situation. So we needed to know if the exposure was Monday or Tuesday. The school is supposed to be the source of the list, but they (the school nurse) couldn’t tell us what day was an issue. My wife talked to the principal*, and then pulled out her contact list to figure out which health department was responsible and to find someone to talk to.

And!

Before the health department got back to us the principal called us back and after reviewing the list they found out that our kid and three other students were on the list erroneously. We got that news in the middle of my kids tearful call to her coach. That poor guy.

So XC is on. Two days a week remote is probably off.

*the principal also let us know that she’s gonna be the student of the month - nice!
The craziness. I’ve had three meetings cancel this week due to possible exposure.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jim Boeheim tested positive, as did another staffer at Syracuse. All basketball activities have been suspended.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bet Boeheim attended an off-campus party.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:46 pm Bet Boeheim attended an off-campus party.
I figured you’d say he caught it in a dorm.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Between the number of college basketball programs with issues, college football cancellations, and more NFL issues, it starting to feel like we're approaching that point where it all falls apart.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure there's a current athlete who gets it right more often:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wnba.jpg
wnba.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 261 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's a women's college game.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Joe Tsai (nets owner, Alibaba #2, etc) offered to fund the bubble for Ivy league spring sports. Primarily lacrosse but said he would cover others if that was the only problem. Sounds like the Ivy league turned him down.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... plan/57262
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:16 pm That's a women's college game.
And a joke from 1997. BWAHAHAHA, women's sports suck!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:30 pm
brian wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:16 pm That's a women's college game.
And a joke from 1997. BWAHAHAHA, women's sports suck!
And, the game looks to feature Cal Poly vs. Northern Colorado. Two schools not particularly noted as hotbeds of women's sports.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not since Semiotics classes in the mid-80s have I seen such intricate parsing of a photograph.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Or since in a gas station washroom on the way to Boston.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto