Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by HaulCitgo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 am So moments after my club email indicating no soccer effectively immediately, my indoor facility fired off a note saying, Games are on and they are offering drop off while school is closed. Last night they postponed our youth games, but made a point of saying they are open. I don't know about you but hygiene and indoor soccer facility don't line up.
Similar here. I think the indoor facility is under a lot more financial pressure. The big clubs already got their cash. This is what they sent me:

With the increasing number of cases of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) being reported across the world, XL Sports World's leadership has reviewed and will continue to monitor all domestic programming and leagues within the facilities. As part of this review, we are working closely in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other local and national agencies in real time to guide our decisions on best practices and interactions within the facility. Our main priorities are cleaning within our facilities and ensuring adequate communication is provided.
XL Sports World - What we are doing:
Cleaning and Sanitizing:
In addition to our existing daily professional cleaning services and in house sanitizing, our on-site maintenance team are dedicating more hours to increasing the consistency in which we cleanse all surfaces within our facilities.
Increased cleaning supplies have been delivered to the facilities.
Adding dedicated sanitizing stations in addition to our existing sanitizing protocols.
Sanitizing all equipment.
Communication:
As an additional layer of safety we are encouraging patrons to refrain from shaking hands before and after games.
Reiterating our existing policy of skipping your game or practice if you feel unwell.
Closely monitoring CDC recommendations.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
All programs, classes and leagues will remain in play until further notice.

Our primary commitment and focus at all times is the health and safety of our XL Sports World family. To help the community and based on parents requests, XL will have camps available during school closures.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 am So moments after my club email indicating no soccer effectively immediately, my indoor facility fired off a note saying, Games are on and they are offering drop off while school is closed. Last night they postponed our youth games, but made a point of saying they are open. I don't know about you but hygiene and indoor soccer facility don't line up.
Small business with almost zero margin. That place we play has put ZERO into upkeep for a reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Masters "postponed"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:50 am
Small business with almost zero margin. That place we play has put ZERO into upkeep for a reason.
Yeah I know. My relatives have some ownership or management of the facility.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

We had our usual Thursday night pick-up basketball last night. After it ended, I was talking to the organizer about my work trip. I told him I would be back in town in a week, but that I have been thinking about taking a couple weeks off from the game when I return, just to be safe. I also told him if he didn't want me to come for a while, that was fine, also. HIs wife recently had a medical procedure with a months-long recovery time.

Before everyone left, he had mentioned he hoped to keep playing as long as we were allowed (we play at a youth rec center on Tuesdays and a middle school on Thursdays).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's truly inconsequential, but it's odd to go to ESPN.com and see blank space where the score bar normally resides.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not a Bundesliga fan?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 am The youth soccer league my kid plays for finally sent a letter last night postponing the season until at least 4/5. The last official word from our club was that they would cancel all training until 3/20, even though all of our teams are either in that league I mentioned above or EDP (which is directly controlled by USYS) so there won't be games at least until April.

The club sent out a pretty oddly worded message to everyone in the middle of the day yesterday about how during times like these "youth soccer organizations should do all in our power to keep kids engaged in soccer" so as to not be an additional problem for them (kids) to deal with.
My daughter's travel club said they will send a series of videos with individual drills players can do by themselves in the backyard. Thought that was a good idea. Her academy sent a note to avoid playing in private indoor facilities due to the difficulty in disinfecting them and the recirculated air. Again, thought that was an interest thing to think to include. OTOH, they train at a brand new incredible facility, and the owner of the facility has a daughter playing in that academy, so I imagine he was less impressed with the message.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So all of the tryouts for various academies and clubs take place in March and April. This is going to be interesting to see what they do. All but one are postponed with no dates. My daughter was signed up for a summer select tryout on Saturday. They decided to move the tryout outdoors. I think I'm going to skip that one, just not worth it, especially since I don't think she'd play there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am It's truly inconsequential, but it's odd to go to ESPN.com and see blank space where the score bar normally resides.
Much in the same way when I get an alert on my phone from ESPN or CBS Sports, and it's not league or local team news but rather another cancellation.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 am So all of the tryouts for various academies and clubs take place in March and April. This is going to be interesting to see what they do. All but one are postponed with no dates. My daughter was signed up for a summer select tryout on Saturday. They decided to move the tryout outdoors. I think I'm going to skip that one, just not worth it, especially since I don't think she'd play there.
I'm excited about the boys summer season now. Super y got dissolved in Georgia because the biggest 8-10 clubs created their own league. I bet there will be a lot of interest now that spring will likely be cancelled.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am It's truly inconsequential, but it's odd to go to ESPN.com and see blank space where the score bar normally resides.
And right when Sportsfrog was about to put scores on the front page too.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am Not a Bundesliga fan?
It's showing all the canceled college basketball games now. Perhaps it was just Delta's wi-fi being poor (but I did give it plenty of time to load).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am Not a Bundesliga fan?
It's showing all the canceled college basketball games now. Perhaps it was just Delta's wi-fi being poor (but I did give it plenty of time to load).
Bundesliga apparently caved in the last few hours.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Boston Marathon postponed to September.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

NCAA athletes petitioning for another year of eligibility. Logistical nightmare to have seniors come back, given roles and minutes promised to recruits.

That said, heartbreaking for these seniors.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm NCAA athletes petitioning for another year of eligibility. Logistical nightmare to have seniors come back, given roles and minutes promised to recruits.

Heck, how do you even decide how many scholarships a team would have, just for next year? There's 13 for basketball, but do you up it to 16? 17?

I don't think you could go with "everyone currently on your team, plus all players you have currently committed" because unequal numbers and some players don't commit until after the college season ends.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:04 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm NCAA athletes petitioning for another year of eligibility. Logistical nightmare to have seniors come back, given roles and minutes promised to recruits.

Heck, how do you even decide how many scholarships a team would have, just for next year? There's 13 for basketball, but do you up it to 16? 17?

I don't think you could go with "everyone currently on your team, plus all players you have currently committed" because unequal numbers and some players don't commit until after the college season ends.
Couldn't you just say that people on the last year of their scholarship this year who return next year don't count against the limit?

Edit: It's basically the reverse approach from the one you suggested.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

nvm im confused
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

1918: Toronto wins its first Stanley Cup
1919: Stanley Cup cancelled

1992-93: Toronto wins its first World Series
1994: World Series cancelled

2019: Toronto wins its first NBA Championship
2020: NBA Championship potentially cancelled
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:19 pm 1918: Toronto wins its first Stanley Cup

Blame Canada!!!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:19 pm 1918: Toronto wins its first Stanley Cup

March 5th - Kids in the Hall announce comeback
Everything since March 5th - Right, yeah that checks out
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

towns closing schools.. .closely followed by towns closing fields.. so unless Clubs or Academies own their own fields (and not all do)... can't see anyone doing anything outdoors. our town said no organized sports or activities (so just bring dark/light jerseys, no pinnies or pop-ups)

the o40s scrimmage on sunday is cancelled -- everyone wanted to play but the fields are closed so not allowed. as long as indoor facility is open tomorrow morning.. that pickup is still going on.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The community center pool I swim at every morning announced its closing for at least a month.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My health club is still open.

Even the steam room (which I didn't go into today).

That place closes, I'm going to need to find another escape from the family.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:55 pm My health club is still open.

Even the steam room (which I didn't go into today).

That place closes, I'm going to need to find another escape from the family.
The newlywed period with Rosie worn off already. Sad.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Couldn't you just say that people on the last year of their scholarship this year who return next year don't count against the limit?

How do you even the playing field for fairness in number of scholarship players? Why would some teams get to have 17 scholarships (some school having four incoming freshmen and four seniors who were supposed to leave now stay the bonus year) and others don't (Syracuse has one guy expected to declare and two freshmen coming in, bringing them to 13 scholarship players - one scholarship unused/went to a graduating walk-on). Could Syracuse (or whomever) then be allowed to bring in extra players for next year to also get to 17 scholarship players with the ability to sort it out after next season? "Extra" guys could just go to the transfer portal.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

New strain of virus hits New Rochelle. Luckily only lasts 15 seconds.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was at the gym this afternoon (still open... but for how long?)

Watched the replay of the finals of the Canadian Women's Curling Championship while I was on the elliptical. It was either that or replay of the 3rd round of the TPC from last year. And since I knew who won, I stuck with the curling.

It's going to be a long few months...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm

How do you even the playing field for fairness in number of scholarship players? Why would some teams get to have 17 scholarships (some school having four incoming freshmen and four seniors who were supposed to leave now stay the bonus year) and others don't (Syracuse has one guy expected to declare and two freshmen coming in, bringing them to 13 scholarship players - one scholarship unused/went to a graduating walk-on). Could Syracuse (or whomever) then be allowed to bring in extra players for next year to also get to 17 scholarship players with the ability to sort it out after next season? "Extra" guys could just go to the transfer portal.
Eh, it's a one-year thing. And you can only play so many guys anyway. BTW, I seriously doubt they do this for winter sports.

They've already said they're allowing seniors an extra year for spring sports though. I didn't see what the scholarship plan is though. I imagine a lot of hotshot freshman might not be happy with the playing time they get next year. Might make for some stacked DIII schools.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:31 pmEh, it's a one-year thing. And you can only play so many guys anyway.
That's what I was figuring. There's already enough "unfairness" built into the system when one school has a bunch of kids graduate or leave all at once and the competition doesn't. It's not exactly the same thing, but as a practical matter I don't think it would make much difference. If that's necessary to keep some 20-year-old from being robbed of one of his four years of eligibility, I think it's worth it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:48 pm New strain of virus hits New Rochelle. Luckily only lasts 15 seconds.
Can’t let this good post go without acknowledgment. It’s a great hire by Iona —he’s already shown a willingness to expose himself to dangerous viruses in pursuit of titles.

Also, my mom’s two degrees are from a non-Iona MAAC school and from Kentucky. I bet she has takes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:48 pm New strain of virus hits New Rochelle. Luckily only lasts 15 seconds.
JFC that’s good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

One way to get it through administration. Is there anyone left to approve that?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Flames proving once again they are a garbage organization. They will not be paying their hourly employees so someone has started a GoFundMe page.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m sure my Pitino joke has been popular in various places amongst UK fans but I swear it was an original.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:27 am No official word yet on Pitino, but I hear it's coming in 10 seconds or so.
mmmh....
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:25 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:27 am No official word yet on Pitino, but I hear it's coming in 10 seconds or so.
mmmh....
Hey I asked if I could steal that one!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

degenerasian wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 pm Flames proving once again they are a garbage organization. They will not be paying their hourly employees so someone has started a GoFundMe page.
That is sickening - didn't they just get a shitload of taxpayer's money for anew arena?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:11 pm
degenerasian wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 pm Flames proving once again they are a garbage organization. They will not be paying their hourly employees so someone has started a GoFundMe page.
That is sickening - didn't they just get a shitload of taxpayer's money for anew arena?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..