Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 am You guys think its safe for the kids to play soccer? Worries me a bit that you all are talking no go. They are full go here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 am You guys think its safe for the kids to play soccer? Worries me a bit that you all are talking no go. They are full go here. Kids team played a large tournament last weekend (we missed traveling and got blasted by some A-list comp including some out of state) and they have another this weekend with tons of teams. Ive been of the mind that its outdoors so its ok.
Our league is playing, but our kid is not. It's too bad too, he's got loads of talent, but not as much motivation. I think he'll give it up completely after missing out on both spring and fall.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm working up a monster of a contrarian take about restarting sports, including college football. This is helping me get there.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Basically, it may be better in the long run to have some groups of people in a structured environment where they are constantly being monitored and tested and where there is some incentive for them to live clean (like not wanting to get put in quarantine). So many of these opening up stories have followed the same path--a bunch of early positives (some of which are surely pre-existing and didn't actually result from the opening), everyone freaks out, then it actually seems to get a little better.

I'm not totally there yet, but I have moved in that direction.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

QED: We should put every nursing home resident on a college football team
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The problem is, with the exception of Dusty Baker, most MLB managers aren't actively disinterested in the health and safety of their players.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:16 pm Basically, it may be better in the long run to have some groups of people in a structured environment where they are constantly being monitored and tested and where there is some incentive for them to live clean (like not wanting to get put in quarantine). So many of these opening up stories have followed the same path--a bunch of early positives (some of which are surely pre-existing and didn't actually result from the opening), everyone freaks out, then it actually seems to get a little better.

I'm not totally there yet, but I have moved in that direction.
Not sure I follow. Lets say one Marlin or Cardinal who otherwise wouldn't have gotten Covid goes down the Eduardo Rodriguez (or worse) path? Are you saying apply that to amateurs in the interest of entertainment or is there more to it?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:20 pm QED: We should put every nursing home resident on a college football team
Now I know the answer to what the NCAA could do to get me interested in college football.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

the actual game play doesn't worry or bother me.
its the training sessions ...the having 10-20 kids standing around .. its the parents on the sidelines not distancing.. its having kids play/travel to other towns that may have higher incidence of positive cases.. exposing them and then bringing it back to our community and families.
it requires a fuckton of vigilence.. last night a coach said no one is going to break the rules if their kid is sick or has sypmtons... f that.. coaches (some) will do all they can do play a game, lie, cheat to have inegilible players carded.. its those fucktards that worry me.. as for vigilence? we can't even get our coaches to tell parents to take their chairs off the pitch (town doesn't allow it, its posted).. going to tell them to wear a mask or get out? we'll avoid that by not letting them on the pitch... but going elsewhere? we get the kids six hours a week - no control over the rest of their time - those six hours .. we need to control.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm the actual game play doesn't worry or bother me.
its the training sessions ...the having 10-20 kids standing around .. its the parents on the sidelines not distancing.. its having kids play/travel to other towns that may have higher incidence of positive cases.. exposing them and then bringing it back to our community and families.
it requires a fuckton of vigilence.. last night a coach said no one is going to break the rules if their kid is sick or has sypmtons... f that.. coaches (some) will do all they can do play a game, lie, cheat to have inegilible players carded.. its those fucktards that worry me.. as for vigilence? we can't even get our coaches to tell parents to take their chairs off the pitch (town doesn't allow it, its posted).. going to tell them to wear a mask or get out? we'll avoid that by not letting them on the pitch... but going elsewhere? we get the kids six hours a week - no control over the rest of their time - those six hours .. we need to control.
You better believe that.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i don't get it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I always wondered what that thread was about.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't believe for a second that the players would all be sitting at home if there was no season. That doesn't sound like young athletic people at all. So the idea that this and only this is exposing players to risk is really a non-starter for me. I still worry about things inherent to competition that are dangerous, like travel and sharing locker rooms. But the players are subject to so much testing that we're actually going to see how dangerous those things are.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right, but there's a difference between exposure due to bad personal decisions (which wouldn't be universal) and exposure in service of entertainment. Maybe if we had a better understanding of the long term effects I could understand a little more.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:41 pm i don't get it.
It's a long long long way back. I don't remember the poster, but it was a semi-regular swamper who would occasionally remind everyone to stay vigilant of the sack trick.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm I always wondered what that thread was about.
That's the vigilance we need.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:41 pm i don't get it.
It's a long long long way back. I don't remember the poster, but it was a semi-regular swamper who would occasionally remind everyone to stay vigilant of the sack trick.
Like, a decade-plus and three Swamps ago. Very Kranepool-ian. Maybe HOUND was involved.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HOUND seems like a likely culprit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:28 pm HOUND seems like a likely culprit.
Yeah, think it was him.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 pm I always wondered what that thread was about.
Do yourself a huge favor and never read that thread.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

OceanMatt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 am You guys think its safe for the kids to play soccer? Worries me a bit that you all are talking no go. They are full go here. Kids team played a large tournament last weekend (we missed traveling and got blasted by some A-list comp including some out of state) and they have another this weekend with tons of teams. Ive been of the mind that its outdoors so its ok.
I'm comfortable having my daughter play soccer, I'd be more afraid to let her go to Georgia. Speaking of, my nephews in GA just got notice today that a kid on their soccer team is symptomatic and tested positive. He is quarantined for 14 days and required to test negative before returning.

My daughter's team is still strictly following all the initial protocols. They have loosened up around requiring parents to stay in cars during practice. It's been in the 90s almost every day, I ain't sitting in my car. The few parents who stay all stay outside the fence and stay distanced. A couple wear masks the entire time even though they are outside and 20 feet away from the nearest person. Still not sure what the league situation is, but she has a scrimmage against a different club on Sunday.

Question for Flaco, do you know what the deal is with Cedar Stars Monmouth changing to MatchFit Shore? One parent said MatchFit bought out the club from Cedar Stars. My daughter scrimmaged them a couple weeks ago, and they are quite an impressive team. #3 in the nation! My daughter's team's goalie is phenomenal and actually kept it close, held a clean sheet through 30 minutes, but the score didn't tell the story.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ecln had docs say soccer games put players at risk for less than 3 minutes in a 90.minute game. The big risk areas are when you are close to each other. Typically this is throwins and corners. Or so said our club folks last night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 pmOceanMatt
He was a good dude, but he wasn't the creator of "SACK TRICK".
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Where the f is Rass
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:44 pm Question for Flaco, do you know what the deal is with Cedar Stars Monmouth changing to MatchFit Shore? One parent said MatchFit bought out the club from Cedar Stars. My daughter scrimmaged them a couple weeks ago, and they are quite an impressive team. #3 in the nation! My daughter's team's goalie is phenomenal and actually kept it close, held a clean sheet through 30 minutes, but the score didn't tell the story.
no clue. in all honestly when it comes to the girls' teams i'm a bit out of touch.

CSA told us that they were no longer fielding EDP teams at the HS level -- after we spent the month of July going down 3x a week. kid tried out at Sporting NJ and was told he was being offered a spot on their 06 team that is supposed to be pretty good. he has other tryouts lined up but he fits very nicely on this team.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:38 pm Where the f is Rass
Look man, I managed to keep the phrase going there, but if I had remembered who initiated I would have mentioned as much
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

travzilla wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am Good lord!

4 months in Winnipeg sounds like a nightmare.

CFL minimum salary is $65,000. That's a big ask.
Well it could have been Regina ;).
Yeah I could easily see teams in struggle to fill the roster with CFL calibre players if and when a lot of them opt out.
CFL season cancelled. Sucks, but makes sense considering how much of the league's revenues come from ticket sales.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"The Rougeau Brothers agreed to purchase the CFL today..."
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 pm "The Rougeau Brothers agreed to purchase the CFL today..."
Wow, that is an obscure pull.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 pm "The Rougeau Brothers agreed to purchase the CFL today..."
But an excellent one.

Of course, the Alouettes would win the title.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm
But an excellent one.

Of course, the Alouettes would win the title.
Because a Rougeau never loses on Montréal.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:31 pm the actual game play doesn't worry or bother me.
So we registered 14 teams from 2012 to 2006 to play in MNJSA - Ten week season to start on 9/12... and we'll be running an enhanced rec program as well... although instead of 600 kids in the program we will limit it to about half as we spread out across our plastic fields (only ones with lights) this fall.
yay. i'm pushing hard on several folks to take over for me at the end of the season.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

MNJSA says they're starting 9/12? Cool, cool. Our club just yesterday got the details set for ordering uniforms, with a 3-4 week delivery window. No wonder they told everyone they can get away with mixing in last year's kit if need be.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 am
So we registered 14 teams from 2012 to 2006 to play in MNJSA - Ten week season to start on 9/12... and we'll be running an enhanced rec program as well... although instead of 600 kids in the program we will limit it to about half as we spread out across our plastic fields (only ones with lights) this fall.
yay. i'm pushing hard on several folks to take over for me at the end of the season.
Any idea what EDP is doing this year? I haven't heard from the club, but I assume they are planning on playing EDP. EDP website doesn't have information on when the leagues are supposed to start. IIRC, EDP usually posts schedules and divisions earlier than this. It looks like they are still accepting registrations...
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kits took months. Covid manufacturing delays they said. Still don't have one set. $300+ for 3 sets of unis because what? Tourney last weekend. No masks on sidelines and coach couldn't resist taking his off sometimes. Kids won and team mom kept screaming get closer together so she could get pics. Friends and old coaches showed up to support but made distancing worse. Still with those exceptions it felt covid ok. They have good spacing offensively and defenders couldn't keep up this weekend so that helped. Was some stagnant bodying on throw ins his side and on corners but he took some and they played short corners a fair amount so ok. Kid fit in well. Flowed better and more dynamic with him on but better goal production with him off. Everyone excited to be playing. Honestly felt ok. Hope we don't die. Just this week getting times with dates but first weekend is at Birmingham so we'll see if they're as crazy as we are in AL.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:45 am
Any idea what EDP is doing this year? I haven't heard from the club, but I assume they are planning on playing EDP. EDP website doesn't have information on when the leagues are supposed to start. IIRC, EDP usually posts schedules and divisions earlier than this. It looks like they are still accepting registrations...
no clue.. no longer get the CSA emails since they dumped the boys' team... but also because he is HS age now so his season wouldn't' start until November anyway. His new club says that if HS sports are cancelled, then they will be playing in October instead.

i do think that its likely all of these get called off before they even start or shortly thereafter.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:30 am MNJSA says they're starting 9/12? Cool, cool. Our club just yesterday got the details set for ordering uniforms, with a 3-4 week delivery window. No wonder they told everyone they can get away with mixing in last year's kit if need be.
heck we haven't gotten our act together to set up registration - have to do it twice, once on our site and once w the state. our site is done.. the state not so much. only one new team though this season though.. so hopefully we won't need that many new kits
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s wild how every single one of the university campus outbreaks has been due to off-campus parties.