Coronavirus - All Sports

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4492
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Brontoburglar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am
sancarlos wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm
Daughter's results came back...

Negative.

Whew! Thank deity.
That's a relief!

So....do we have a golf thread somewhere? Because I was just reading about Bryson DeChambeau winning this weekend and one thing jumped out to me....that he came back from the Virus layoff having put on '20 lbs of muscle'. Does the PGA have PED testing? Haven't we learned from baseball that when a guy comes back from the offseason having put on '20 lbs of muscle' that it is always because of steroids/HGH?
he's put on 20 pounds but all of that ain't muscle
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DaveInSeattle » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:45 am

Brontoburglar wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am
sancarlos wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm
Daughter's results came back...

Negative.

Whew! Thank deity.
That's a relief!

So....do we have a golf thread somewhere? Because I was just reading about Bryson DeChambeau winning this weekend and one thing jumped out to me....that he came back from the Virus layoff having put on '20 lbs of muscle'. Does the PGA have PED testing? Haven't we learned from baseball that when a guy comes back from the offseason having put on '20 lbs of muscle' that it is always because of steroids/HGH?
he's put on 20 pounds but all of that ain't muscle
Just going from what they said in the Washington post this morning...

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20962
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by brian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:56 am

But to the question at hand -- DOES the PGA test for steroids?
Image

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4492
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Brontoburglar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:36 pm

yes
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4492
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Brontoburglar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:45 am
Brontoburglar wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am
sancarlos wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm
Daughter's results came back...

Negative.

Whew! Thank deity.
That's a relief!

So....do we have a golf thread somewhere? Because I was just reading about Bryson DeChambeau winning this weekend and one thing jumped out to me....that he came back from the Virus layoff having put on '20 lbs of muscle'. Does the PGA have PED testing? Haven't we learned from baseball that when a guy comes back from the offseason having put on '20 lbs of muscle' that it is always because of steroids/HGH?
he's put on 20 pounds but all of that ain't muscle
Just going from what they said in the Washington post this morning...
This part?

"DeChambeau showed up with what he described as 20 more pounds of muscle than earlier in the year, when he already weighed 20 pounds more than in 2019, which was meant to help him gain ball speed and thus hit longer shots."

I mean, I get why Bryson wants to claim he's put on 20 pounds of muscle but ... nah
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

HaulCitgo
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1945
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by HaulCitgo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Looked pretty jacked on the course yesterday. Maybe a 6 pack and groceries thing but I believe the extra muscle. His drive looks anything but smooth though. Just can't believe swinging really hard is the right idea.

Also he was -21 while I watched so plenty right but three up on tee at 16 maybe and pulls driver out and 330 or so into the trees. Some has to be the course. Not supposed to get away with that.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DaveInSeattle » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm

This part?

"DeChambeau showed up with what he described as 20 more pounds of muscle than earlier in the year, when he already weighed 20 pounds more than in 2019, which was meant to help him gain ball speed and thus hit longer shots."
Yes...that was the part.

I rarely watch golf anymore, so didn't see any of him playing, but the whole 'put on 20 lbs of muscle!' thing is a total red flag for me.

Anyone remember the journeyman catcher Ben Davis? He was traded to the Mariner's in the off season, and then showed up at spring training totally jacked, and he dropped the 'I changed my diet and work out routine and gained 20 lbs of muscle!' line on the media. He never tested positive, but everyone around here was mighty suspicious.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6213
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Giff » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Brooks Koepka did it!
Muh.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4492
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:08 pm

FC Dallas bails out of the MLS tournament.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4724
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Rex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm

The fun part here is that they basically got kicked out--other teams protested that they didn't want to play them because they had failed to control the virus. The same might happen to Nashville. Its an interesting precedent for other leagues.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11843
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by The Sybian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm

My daughter's club ain't playing around. In addition to all the precautions and taking every kids temp, we now have to fill out an online questionnaire and the kids have to show the "all clear" screen on their phones before entering the field. Air temp was 93 degrees for Sunday's practice. With 5 minutes left, my daughter said she had a headache, so the coach escorted her to my car. He said he'd tell me to let her sit in the AC and see if she is feeling better in a few minutes, but since there was only 5 left, take her home. Got an email from the Director on Monday saying that since she left practice early, she would need medical clearance from a doctor before returning to practice. I appreciate the rules and their insistence on being careful, but fuck. It was 93 degrees and playing on turf. You could see the heat waves emanating off the field... Had to schedule a Zoom Dr. appt, and they were confused as fuck, but sent me a letter. "So, it was 93 degrees and she was bothered by the heat? Why do they need a note?"

A girl threw up 2 weeks ago during practice, it was even hotter that day. The girl and her twin sister haven't been back since. Curious if they were quarantined.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13602
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Who is taking temps? Parents on the honor system or the club?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11843
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by The Sybian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:04 pm

rass wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm
Who is taking temps? Parents on the honor system or the club?
Both. Parents are supposed to take temp before arriving, and one of the coaches uses a no-touch laser thermometer on each kid as they enter the gate.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13602
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by rass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Huh.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5861
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm

That's pretty stupid. In that heat, I sure hope they're being extremely cautious about heat stroke. This time of year, on turf?

I have nightmares to this day about pre-season for college on the turf. Baltimore in August, going 3 a day. Fucking brutal.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Every time I read "temperature checks!" at the forefront of any sort of return protocol, I immediately check out.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

HaulCitgo
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1945
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by HaulCitgo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Resistance with a temperature check is futile. Just a matter of how important the day is.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7158
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by wlu_lax6 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm
That's pretty stupid. In that heat, I sure hope they're being extremely cautious about heat stroke. This time of year, on turf?

I have nightmares to this day about pre-season for college on the turf. Baltimore in August, going 3 a day. Fucking brutal.
Melted a pair of sneaker soles on Homewood Field's old school astroturf at lacrosse camp...probably around the same time you were there

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5861
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Nonlinear FC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:21 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm
That's pretty stupid. In that heat, I sure hope they're being extremely cautious about heat stroke. This time of year, on turf?

I have nightmares to this day about pre-season for college on the turf. Baltimore in August, going 3 a day. Fucking brutal.
Melted a pair of sneaker soles on Homewood Field's old school astroturf at lacrosse camp...probably around the same time you were there
Yep. That shit was horrible. They swapped it out my junior year. Swapped it out again at least twice since then.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6638
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by tennbengal » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm


User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2541
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by L-Jam3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:41 pm

Does anyone know how the stats are going to count in the NBA seeding portion down in Orlando? Are they going under regular season or playoff stats? A google search and even the NBA website doesn't really answer it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:06 pm

L-Jam3 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:41 pm
Does anyone know how the stats are going to count in the NBA seeding portion down in Orlando? Are they going under regular season or playoff stats? A google search and even the NBA website doesn't really answer it.
I would expect the eight "regular" games every team plays go into regular season, as the point of this whole operation is to get teams to play over 70 games so they can collect their local television contract money.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15780
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by A_B » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm

If they actually end up pulling it off, someone with NBA TV will be in for a nice little march madness type dealio for a few weeks.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7158
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Stanford drops the hammer on 11 sports I personally don't care about...but still stinks for those athletes.

men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Here. We. Go. [/Swampcast intro]

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

HaulCitgo
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1945
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by HaulCitgo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:29 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:27 pm
Stanford drops the hammer on 11 sports I personally don't care about...but still stinks for those athletes.

men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling.
Good problem to have but you pretty much have to stay put and end your playing career. Can't leave Stanford for those sports even if you were Olympic level.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 18980
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Tremendous news that Lindy Ruff is leaving the Rangers to go to the Devils.

rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Square Rob
Brandt
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Square Rob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:29 pm
Here. We. Go. [/Swampcast intro]

Liberal pussies

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DaveInSeattle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

This seems bad:


User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4724
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Rex » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm

That just means that all of the workouts are forced going forward

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13602
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by rass » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Sounds like Columbus is... cancelled!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:27 am

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4543
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DaveInSeattle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Seahawks have sent out a notice to season ticket holders giving them the option to 'pause' their tickets...


User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 11843
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 pm

I heard a very interesting insider take on why the NFL season isn't going to happen. The NFLPA will require all personnel in contact with players to isolate themselves from society. The NFL is different than most sports, due to the large number of people on the sidelines and in contact with players. Hypothetically, take a team doctor, and most teams have several doctors on their sidelines. These guys aren't full time team drs, but they have their own medical practices and work with the teams on the side. These drs aren't willing to give up their practice for a full NFL season and live in the NFL bubble. I'm sure there are a lot of people involved with teams and the league that won't isolate. In most sports, referees work enough that they don't have other jobs, but as we all know Ed Hochuli was a lawyer in Phoenix, and they all have regular jobs. The league pays officials shit money, and there are how many officials in uniform every game? Plus all the ball boys, down marker guys, guys with giant orange mitts signaling TV timeouts... I don't see how the NFL can keep that many people quarantined. Soccer, you have 4 ball boys and 4 referees on the field, and that's about it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 9037
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by degenerasian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 pm
I heard a very interesting insider take on why the NFL season isn't going to happen. The NFLPA will require all personnel in contact with players to isolate themselves from society. The NFL is different than most sports, due to the large number of people on the sidelines and in contact with players. Hypothetically, take a team doctor, and most teams have several doctors on their sidelines. These guys aren't full time team drs, but they have their own medical practices and work with the teams on the side. These drs aren't willing to give up their practice for a full NFL season and live in the NFL bubble. I'm sure there are a lot of people involved with teams and the league that won't isolate. In most sports, referees work enough that they don't have other jobs, but as we all know Ed Hochuli was a lawyer in Phoenix, and they all have regular jobs. The league pays officials shit money, and there are how many officials in uniform every game? Plus all the ball boys, down marker guys, guys with giant orange mitts signaling TV timeouts... I don't see how the NFL can keep that many people quarantined. Soccer, you have 4 ball boys and 4 referees on the field, and that's about it.
money money money. I think the NFL happens even if they all have COVID.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:25 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 pm
The Sybian wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 pm
I heard a very interesting insider take on why the NFL season isn't going to happen. The NFLPA will require all personnel in contact with players to isolate themselves from society. The NFL is different than most sports, due to the large number of people on the sidelines and in contact with players. Hypothetically, take a team doctor, and most teams have several doctors on their sidelines. These guys aren't full time team drs, but they have their own medical practices and work with the teams on the side. These drs aren't willing to give up their practice for a full NFL season and live in the NFL bubble. I'm sure there are a lot of people involved with teams and the league that won't isolate. In most sports, referees work enough that they don't have other jobs, but as we all know Ed Hochuli was a lawyer in Phoenix, and they all have regular jobs. The league pays officials shit money, and there are how many officials in uniform every game? Plus all the ball boys, down marker guys, guys with giant orange mitts signaling TV timeouts... I don't see how the NFL can keep that many people quarantined. Soccer, you have 4 ball boys and 4 referees on the field, and that's about it.
money money money. I think the NFL happens even if they all have COVID.
Super Bowl will be in Florida (Tampa), so you know there will be people in the stands.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20962
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by brian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Big Ten goes to all/only conference games for all fall sports.
Image

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5861
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm

brian wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm
Big Ten goes to all/only conference games for all fall sports.
The crawl on ESPN is hilarious: "Will miss out on marque match-ups: Wisconsin vs. ND, Miami vs. MSU, PSU vs. VaTech..."

Yawn. I mean, I get that they have to say something, but who the fuck cares about those games other than respective fan bases.

I guess I'm having a difficult time giving a shit whether we have football in a few months. Seems pretty fucking trivial, TBH.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm
brian wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm
Big Ten goes to all/only conference games for all fall sports.
The crawl on ESPN is hilarious: "Will miss out on marque match-ups: Wisconsin vs. ND, Miami vs. MSU, PSU vs. VaTech..."

Yawn. I mean, I get that they have to say something, but who the fuck cares about those games other than respective fan bases.

I guess I'm having a difficult time giving a shit whether we have football in a few months. Seems pretty fucking trivial, TBH.
I haven't really cared about sports coming back for a while. If the cancellation of sports (NBA, college and pro football) would get people to act in the recommended manner to reduce the threat of coronavirus, I am all for it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15780
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Coronavirus - All Sports

Post by A_B » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:44 pm

If all the power conferences do this, looks Like Notre dame will have a lot of MACtion!
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

Post Reply