The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm Is that just playing it safe or do they have real, learned/first-hand reasons for avoiding ibuprofen?
I believe they said it originated in a German study. Things are flying so fast that it is hard to get a handle on - but their caution was enough for me - and one of them is front lines at one of the local hospitals.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Right, there's a viable (outside of very wise forethinking/panic-buying making it hard to find) alternate option so that makes sense. Didn't know if bengal's buddies had more than that to go on.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Well I'm Dr. Samuel K. Tylenol, grandson of the founder of Tylenol..."

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm Right, there's a viable (outside of very wise forethinking/panic-buying making it hard to find) alternate option so that makes sense.
Target Union is almost out so I stood there doing the mental math on how much we would need if we both got it and had to handle things at home.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm
rass wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm Right, there's a viable (outside of very wise forethinking/panic-buying making it hard to find) alternate option so that makes sense.
Target Union is almost out so I stood there doing the mental math on how much we would need if we both got it and had to handle things at home.
I believe the issue they flagged was that it could exacerbate or complicate symptoms in the worst cases - that was enough for me to grab Tylenol , all things being equal.

BUT, there’s the issue of people that are on long term aspirin as a blood thinner type regimen for a heart condition are also therefore in a high risk category for covid complications , so maybe aspirin a lagging indicator of a health problem rather than adding to the issue. In any event, it was easy enough to just but Tylenol.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:07 pm I thought I would create a separate thread as a place for people to get away from the more depressing aspects of COVID-19 and discuss how they are passing the time. The books, the video games, the new hobbies, the recipes, anything, preferably something constructive but that's not a hard rule.
I had to come back here to remember to be upbeat in here.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ill try to respect the rules. Ordered a fig tree and a bunch of wildflowers from the local tree hugger nonprofit. Lemme know if you all have any expereince with these. Im not much of a gardener but with the extra time ill try to give the yard a spruce up. Also need to cut down 4 leyland cypress cause some idiot planted them 2 feet from each other. Of course, now they are 30-40 feet tall and the lower areas where I need the screening are all brown and dead cause no sunlight and an overzealous neighbors brother who cut the branches (admittedly hanging on his side) a foot or two from the trunk.

Albus Scarlet Rosemallow
Variation: Hibiscus coccineus 'Albus'

Albus Wax Mallow
Variation: Malvaviscus arborerus var. drumondii 'Albus'

Dixie Iris
Variation: Iris hexagona

Eastern Columbine
Variation: Aquilegia canadensis

Golden Ragwort
Variation: Senecio aurea

Little Goldstar Black-eyed Susan
Variation: Rudbeckia fulgida 'Little Goldstar'

Prairie Coneflower
Variation: Ratibida pinnata

Purple Blue-eyed Grass
Variation: Sisyrinchium angustifolium 'Purple'

Scarlet Rosemallow
Variation: Hibiscus coccineus

Starry Rosinweed
Variation: Silphium asteriscus

Swamp Rosemallow
Variation: Hibiscus grandiflorus

Swamp Sunflower
Variation: Helianthus angustifolius

Twinflower
Variation: Dyschoriste oblongifolia

Wild Strawberry
Variation: Fragaria virginiana

Zagreb Threadleaf Coreopsis
Variation: Coreopsis verticillata 'Zagreb'
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are you cutting down 30-40 foot trees yourself?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:32 pm
I believe the issue they flagged was that it could exacerbate or complicate symptoms in the worst cases - that was enough for me to grab Tylenol , all things being equal.

BUT, there’s the issue of people that are on long term aspirin as a blood thinner type regimen for a heart condition are also therefore in a high risk category for covid complications , so maybe aspirin a lagging indicator of a health problem rather than adding to the issue. In any event, it was easy enough to just but Tylenol.
I haven't heard anything bad about aspirin. I saw the French government health agency issued a warning that a steroidal component of ibuprofen may worsen COVID symptoms. I don't think they had enough evidence to prove causation.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Negative. I could do 2 of the 4 but the other two would just as likely end with property damage or a COVID infested ER visit.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Internet down this morning. Panic ensued. Longest 20 minutes of my life.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Talented people are awesome.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:32 pm

FYI, if your store is out of run of the mill tylenol or acetaminophen, look to alternatives like Arthritis Pain relievers and Midol. They all have acetaminophen in them. My kroger had no regular tylenol or generics but I was able to get some meds.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Cold & sinus meds as well tend to have acetaminophen. (Unless those have been hoarded up also?)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:29 pm Cold & sinus meds as well tend to have acetaminophen. (Unless those have been hoarded up also?)
Only thing I bought in the initial rush medicine wise was nyquil liquigels. Figured if I get this thing, I might as well not suffer as badly as I would when cold medicine is hard to come by.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If you want positives, it doesn't get any better than this:

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Haven't checked it out yet...

But Sirius May Be Free Until May 15
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

2 things I’ve learned.

First, it’s critical to maintain some semblance of a routine. For me it’s important to block out the normal work hours for work. I arrive in the home office having walked the dog, showered, dressed and fed. After work it’s a long walk, then some chill time on the porch, then dinner, then leisure.

Second, before going to bed, it’s equally critical to remove all evidence of the previous night’s drinking/gaming from the home office.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I've definitely been keeping a set routine.

We should probably try to force that on the kids a little more, especially since their schools decided in the middle of last week to go with a "half day" of classes each day.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice article about the public service that KEXP is providing now: Live from Quarantine City: KEXP’s steady voices ‘see us through’ coronavirus pandemic
John Richards is used to beating the crowd. KEXP’s longtime man in the morning typically strolls into the station’s Seattle Center offices well before its public-facing Gathering Space opens. By the time La Marzocco’s baristas start slinging their first espressos across the room, Richards is already an hour into his drive-time show.

But these days there is no crowd. The stream of laptop-toters and curious tourists who normally give KEXP’s spiffy, 4-year-old headquarters its pulse are gone, chased out by the global COVID-19 crisis that’s upended life in Seattle and across the world.

“It’s like I’m back at KCMU, DJ-ing in the dark,” says Richards, referring to the station’s predecessor and its solitary digs. “It is really symbolic, as we DJ, to look upon an empty Gathering Space, an empty courtyard. It reminds us what’s going on. I gotta say, I don’t like it. But it tells me every day this is the world I live in.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ina Garten is living her best life:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually kind of glad I have work to distract me right now. From 8 to 5 M-F it's business as usual here.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:35 pm I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually kind of glad I have work to distract me right now. From 8 to 5 M-F it's business as usual here.
I won't go that far, but I will say the metrics for the support team I manage have not been this good in very long time. And it's not a volume issue, we've actually been a lot busier since the country has started to WFH.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had next week off to go on a cruise but an keeping the week off anyway because a) Tanya has shoulder reconstruction surgery on Tuesday and it'll be easy to help her out and b) fuck it -- I could still use a week off even if I'm not getting day-drunk and eating steak every night.

(And in theory could still get day drunk and eat steak every day, just from home.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I canceled all but one of the 6 days I had planned this month. 34 days left and next PTO scheduled was for our road trip to Michigan in June, so who knows if that'll happen.

If I take PTO, it'll be nothing but day-drinking and the other.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:35 pm I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually kind of glad I have work to distract me right now. From 8 to 5 M-F it's business as usual here.
I wouldn't at all say business as usual, but as a communicator during a crisis, we've got plenty of internal and external stuff to say right now.

But 100 percent on the distraction aspect. With 2 college kids back from school all of a sudden, things got real crowded real fast.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I've been there. So much stuff going on at work, it's easy to tune everything else out for a while.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:13 pm
I've been there. So much stuff going on at work, it's easy to tune everything else out for a while.
It's stuff like work (sometimes) and the movie nights on Thursday where I actually forget about everything going on for a little while. Those moments are precious right now.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Haven't gotten much done at all in the last 10 days. No clue how you all are doing it. Kids just make it impossible. Either they learn something or I get work done. Zero sum.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We started doing zoom happy hours with friends/family. It's been great to catch up with people we don't run into very often.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been trying to schedule facetime (or Zoom) board game or jeoparty.io (swamp alert???) games with family and friends. Former is more difficult and there are limits on what we can play (we have a copy of Family Feud that works great, and I can drink when I emcee and fit the part).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm Been trying to schedule facetime (or Zoom) board game or jeoparty.io (swamp alert???) games with family and friends. Former is more difficult and there are limits on what we can play (we have a copy of Family Feud that works great, and I can drink when I emcee and fit the part).
My company has been encouraging social time with work colleagues, and one paper is going to do a game night with its staff. A guy bought some games off the Mac App Store and will use zoom to stream his desktop with the staffers responding by apps installed on their phones. I thought that was pretty awesome.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:32 pm
rass wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm Been trying to schedule facetime (or Zoom) board game or jeoparty.io (swamp alert???) games with family and friends. Former is more difficult and there are limits on what we can play (we have a copy of Family Feud that works great, and I can drink when I emcee and fit the part).
My company has been encouraging social time with work colleagues, and one paper is going to do a game night with its staff. A guy bought some games off the Mac App Store and will use zoom to stream his desktop with the staffers responding by apps installed on their phones. I thought that was pretty awesome.
We did a Baseview alumni Zoom meeting the other day. I’ll remember to give you a heads-up next time.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm
We did a Baseview alumni Zoom meeting the other day. I’ll remember to give you a heads-up next time.
Oh, cool. Who participated?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Oh, cool. Who participated?
Rosie, Jack, Mark Best, Shawn Duffy, Aaron, Jo Poe, Jodie, couple others from the real old days.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm We started doing zoom happy hours with friends/family. It's been great to catch up with people we don't run into very often.
We had a virtual 65th birthday party for a friend last night.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:45 pm Rosie, Jack, Mark Best, Shawn Duffy, Aaron, Jo Poe, Jodie, couple others from the real old days.
That's a good crew right there. I don't remember Jo Poe, though. I'd love to talk to Rosie again. She was my cubicle neighbor and we had some nice talks over the months.

My third training install was a two-week trip to Bismarck, ND, and I did it with Rosie (with Sam coming for the second week). When we flew home to Detroit, Rosie's girlfriend was waiting for her at the gate with a bouquet of roses. I said my goodbyes to Rosie at the gate, and her girlfriend shot me a look like "OK, you had her for two weeks, now FUCK OFF."

So, I fucked off and got my luggage and drove home.
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

work has been brutal the last three weeks moving people and work around while states are closing shop... usually averaging 14hrs... thankfully this has been a light week for me -- even so, still working 11hrs on avg last three days... have managed two zoom happy hours since sunday and two more tonight.. one of them w the team i work with.. had to do a drive by on the liquor store last night to restock
they boy is on 'spring break' next week.. and weather forecast is for lots of rain ... so guessing he'll be on the xbox a lot or hopefully diving in to the stack of books i pulled off the shelves for him to read.