The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm The mail hasn't arrived since Friday. Explanation from the mayor is the post office ordered all employees to stay home if sick. One delivery person has COVID, a second called out sick. Post Office is delivering all packages, and whatever letters they are able to get out. Some neighborhoods got deliveries once this week, most got none. I did get a USPS package delivered to my doorstep by a person driving a Honda Fit. Didn't see if they were in uniform.
USPS uses private contractors to handle many deliveries since the explosion of internet shopping, mostly Amazon.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:03 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm The mail hasn't arrived since Friday. Explanation from the mayor is the post office ordered all employees to stay home if sick. One delivery person has COVID, a second called out sick. Post Office is delivering all packages, and whatever letters they are able to get out. Some neighborhoods got deliveries once this week, most got none. I did get a USPS package delivered to my doorstep by a person driving a Honda Fit. Didn't see if they were in uniform.
USPS uses private contractors to handle many deliveries since the explosion of internet shopping, mostly Amazon.
Where I live, the opposite is true. (I know it from my extremely brief career as a letter carrier!) A lot of the mail the USPS delivers here is done on behalf of Amazon (especially), FedEx, and UPS.

And, the over-arching rule was that every piece of mail available for delivery had to be delivered that day. But, of course that was before Covid-19.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

U2's top 40 songs: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... are_btn_tw

I agree with the top 2. Mysterious Ways is too high and Bad should be ranked higher
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

ALL IN on the Sudoku guy and his channel.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Made a big loaf of dark beer bread, AND homemade ice cream yesterday.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 am ALL IN on the Sudoku guy and his channel.
That dude is nuts!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

EdRomero wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am U2's top 40 songs: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... are_btn_tw

I agree with the top 2. Mysterious Ways is too high and Bad should be ranked higher
#1 is certainly correct, but Joshua Tree strangely got short shrift here.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am U2's top 40 songs: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... are_btn_tw

Pretty sure I’ve opined inappropriately about how I think Hold Me Thrill Me rocks before, so my other immediately selfish thought is that Lemon was too high. Other than mysterious ways (which I love and should be in the top 10) I maybe would have been ok with any of the other top 7 as #1.

And I had never heard that Axl Rose anecdote before.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Rex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

Yeah, One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town is better than a lot of the newer songs on the list, but I think the writer wanted to make the point that even their bad albums had great moments. That said, The Little things that Give You Awayis so much better than Get out of you're own way, which I hate and there are other songs on Pop better than Playboy Mansion. Also, I like the effort going obscure with North and South of the River but that's a spot for Stateless, which I love.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

From the first 5 minutes of Celtics-Rockets game 6 in 1981, now airing on NBCSports Boston:

Rick Barry refers to “Bob” Parish
Mike Dunleavy misses his first 5 shots
Chris Ford takes 10 seconds to decide whether to take a wide open 3 before finally letting it fly as the crowd oohs and aahs at the spectacle. The play-by-play guy is also very excited by the “3-point-play attempt”
Team owner Gavin Maloof is shown getting very upset on the sidelines. He’s 25 years old.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well if he weren’t they’d have to call him Gavin ALOOF hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

EdRomero wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah, One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town is better than a lot of the newer songs on the list, but I think the writer wanted to make the point that even their bad albums had great moments. That said, The Little things that Give You Awayis so much better than Get out of you're own way, which I hate and there are other songs on Pop better than Playboy Mansion. Also, I like the effort going obscure with North and South of the River but that's a spot for Stateless, which I love.
I thought it was canon that Running to Stand Still was a top 10 song, at worst.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Rex wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm

After reading this list I listened to the entire album and when Running to Stand Still was playing, I thought I should have mentioned that and then I thought it made the list. So in other words, you're right.

As for songs on Pop better than Playboy Mansion: Gone, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Do You Feel Loved....some of U2's albums would have done much better if they did a better job choosing their first singles. Choosing Discoteque and Get on Your Boots later on probably decreased their album sales by millions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Fly was a pretty bad first single too.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don't follow why a one-time backyard gathering with one family would be potentially higher risk than sharing a vacation home with one family.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Seems like the implication is that you're doing a significantly higher amount of vetting of the other family with the vacation home thing. I guess. I think they are both pretty low risk, if you the other family aren't a bunch of morons. Which, you know, hopefully you're not signing up to spend a lot of time with morons.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I love that the doctors in the story are exactly like an actual doctor's appointment where they seem more concered about how many beers you have in a month than what you're actually there for.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Fun to read that after getting an email that the barbershop I go to is allowed to open and subsequently making an appointment for a haircut earlier today. After I read the email, I hopped online to book. In the minute it took me to sign in, the three earliest appointments (I had been trying to snag the first) got booked. In any case, here is the meat of the email they sent...
Here are some things to note with the re-opening:
-As of now, the schedules are open beginning June 2nd. We might be able to open as soon as May 29th, but we are waiting on final word from our governor. If we have the ability to open that early, we will, and we will let you know!
- In order to comply with the current guidelines, we will be operating by appointment only. We have to keep below a certain amount of people in the shop, and we cannot have a waiting area, so walk-ins are going to be hard to come by. We understand it is hard to plan ahead for some people, but we almost always have same-day appointments available! Please book online at this link.
-Please come in at the exact time of your appointment. As stated earlier, we have had to remove most of our waiting area, and we also have to stick tight to this schedule to keep the day moving smoothly
-All barbers and clients will have to wear masks inside of the shop at all times. This may prove difficult for doing beard work, however we are waiting on final word from the governor if beard trimming will be acceptable at this time.
-We will have a staff member on cleaning duty at least every hour to sanitize waiting area, bathroom, doorknobs, cash register etc.
-We will have plexi-glass partitions between each barber station to maintain proper distancing. Luckily, they are clear so we can all still partake in the chop-busting!
-Each one of our team members are Barbicide certified, ensuring the utmost cleanliness at Saving Face. These certifications will be posted in the shop.
I've been going there for close to four years and I always felt they did a good job with cleaning and sanitizing prior to the pandemic, so I feel pretty good about going.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:05 pm I love that the doctors in the story are exactly like an actual doctor's appointment where they seem more concered about how many beers you have in a month than what you're actually there for.
You might want to stop wearing your beer helmet to your doctor appointments.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big government will never stop free citizens from chop-busting, although non-transparent partitions likely could.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:42 pm Big government will never stop free citizens from chop-busting, although non-transparent partitions likely could.
I have never once witnessed the alleged chop-busting.

And, they've never groused about what's happening, at least in a front-facing way. I'm sure people are dismayed to have lost their jobs and income, but they have never seemed likely to drive to Albany and protest in front of the state legislature holding scissors and clippers.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In charge of only me for dinner. Wife out kids ate. I did a fully frozen fish and chips. Fish in oven chips in the air fryer. Judge me but it was delicious.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:28 pm In charge of only me for dinner. Wife out kids ate. I did a fully frozen fish and chips. Fish in oven chips in the air fryer. Judge me but it was delicious.
That doesn’t sound half bad.

I’m finishing up the leftover meatloaf, so...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:48 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:34 pm Made some bad ass bbq chicken bacon cheddar ciabatta sammies tonight.
Sounds delicious, tell me more.
Was gonna grill but rain and wind pissed me off. Just some pan fried chicken breasts (two regular breasts sliced for four reasonable sandwich patties) finished in oven. Local spice season called dan O’s on both sides. Pan seared for a bit then slathered with some sweet baby rays original (the best not spicy bbq sauce out there in my opinion) and finished in the oven. Then place a couple prices of bacon on each pattie and a sharp cheddar slice and let it melt. Take it out and put it on a toasted ciabatta bun with some spicy aioli. Excellent. Easier to make on grill because you don’t need so many pans but they tasted great.
Definitely agree on Sweet Baby Ray's. I'm a big fan. Sandwiches sound amazing. Can't go wrong with some thickish cut bacon with good crinkle/wave with melted cheddar on top. I wonder if a crisp, crunchy leaf of lettuce would have ruined or elevated it?
Made these again tonight. So good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Haven’t touched the hair on the top of my head since mid-August and haven’t shaved or even trimmed my facial hair in a couple of months and we’ve officially reached the stage where my wife hates it because beyond just telling me I’m too hairy she feels the need to explain away my appearance if I flash across the screen on one of her zooms. Gonna let it fly.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 pm
Rex wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm

After reading this list I listened to the entire album and when Running to Stand Still was playing, I thought I should have mentioned that and then I thought it made the list. So in other words, you're right.

As for songs on Pop better than Playboy Mansion: Gone, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Do You Feel Loved....some of U2's albums would have done much better if they did a better job choosing their first singles. Choosing Discoteque and Get on Your Boots later on probably decreased their album sales by millions.
IMO, the second side of Joshua Tree is U2’s best work.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:13 am Haven’t touched the hair on the top of my head since mid-August and haven’t shaved or even trimmed my facial hair in a couple of months and we’ve officially reached the stage where my wife hates it because beyond just telling me I’m too hairy she feels the need to explain away my appearance if I flash across the screen on one of her zooms. Gonna let it fly.
"Touched" meaning cut? If so, I'm on over 9 months. I generally have at least a little facial scruff, but there's definitely a point where it starts growing into my mouth/over my lips, and looks too patchy/doesn't fill in.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sometime in January or February will be a full year since I’ve cut the top of my hair. I shave the sides and back once per month or so because it irritates me but leave the top long because it irritates everyone else.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a little bit shorter, ginger version of this at the moment. Without the Canadian tuxedo and fear of Jesus.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A million young poets screaming out their words
To a world full of people just living to be heard
Future generations, riding on the highways that we built
I hope they have a better understanding
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I think my last hair cut was in February. I do shave once a month or so. I don't think my hair has ever been this long overall. Top maybe, back and sides never. Wife hates it. Oh well.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, i let the kids give me a step above a faux-hawk at some point and then shaved the sides myself before our vacation at the beach late summer. So not untouched since my last real cut in early March.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:09 pm I think my last hair cut was in February. I do shave once a month or so. I don't think my hair has ever been this long overall. Top maybe, back and sides never. Wife hates it. Oh well.
Pretty much the same except I trim the beard every couple of weeks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had a pretty good beard, but I shaved it to please the wife. My hair got pretty long, but I cut it to please the wife. And then, I repeated the whole process again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, the beard past a certain point is a no-go past after I was able to let it go for a full winter a few years ago. However, due to "these unprecedented time", the top ponytail sticking 6" up off the top of my head around the house is ok.

(Go for it, Rass.)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

three haircuts since march -- first one i did, then sometime in summer actually made an appointment (first time ever doing that.. i show up on saturday morning and wait at the barber of course, none of this salon crap) and this past saturday, was walking past, chairs were empty, i needed it.
beard v2 ongoing now -- small trimming here and there 2x a week but letting it grow. wife hates it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm on a pretty regular hair cutting schedule since july or so. I go in every 5-6 weeks. i wear a mask in, she has a mask on, ten minutes.

Better than the grocery store I have to think, with the added caveat that she touches other people directly I suppose.

I imagine some ... could be done here.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife is pretty good at cutting my hair, but her elbow is jacked up... Getting past critical up there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.