The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 Self-Quarantine Thread

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 pm Speaking of games. Steam and all the other vendors should really put lots of shit on sale or give a couple weeks of free access to things.
We got a Switch when it seemed like a shutdown was imminent. Each of us had a trip with friends cancelled so figure its still a net savings or something.
Switch is fun. Let's play.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:42 pm I'm doing the takeout route until restaurants close. And tipping very well.
Yeah, I tipped way more than I usually would for carryout. Hopefully some of the servers can be converted into delivery drivers as an option to continue getting hours.
Yeah, the demand will be there for a lot of places. It's not ideal, but probably beats being laid off with no income.
This would be nice. My sister's last night of work Friday, they had six people staffed to wait tables when they normally have 16. They sent five of them home. She was the lucky one who got to stay.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:06 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 pm Speaking of games. Steam and all the other vendors should really put lots of shit on sale or give a couple weeks of free access to things.
We got a Switch when it seemed like a shutdown was imminent. Each of us had a trip with friends cancelled so figure its still a net savings or something.
Switch is fun. Let's play.
I'm real close to bogarting my son's switch and starting Breath of the Wild, and seeing my family in a week.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Corned beef incoming in 8 hours
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:06 pmSwitch is fun. Let's play.
Knowing I only play sports games, what games are good?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am
I am enjoying frustration with trying to manage the MLS salary cap and roster rule craziness in Football Manager.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If you're going to play with the kids, probably the most fun we've had was with Overcooked.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am
Good question. Not really a sports game guy, at least not for the Switch. At the very least sign up for the online service (20/yr I think?) and get access to all the cool old NES and SNES games on there. You can try and beat Super Punch Out! again?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm all in on the terrified, and that keeps escalating...

My wife has been on the planning response team for a hospital system, so she has been non-stop for 3 weeks, and it's just starting to hit. No idea how the hospitals are going to get through this, as many are already out of emergency protective gear. Not hers yet, but many are. Drs and nurses are treating COVID patients without adequate gear, and many are starting to test positive. Many asymptomatic COVID carriers are being treated for other reasons, illness, car accident, whatever, and medical staff aren't wearing any protective gear, because they can't waste it on every patient, so I think we are going to see massive numbers of medical professionals get sick, which will further exacerbate the overflow of critical cases in hospitals.

I am terrified of my wife holding up under the stress. She has been getting on calls at 5:30am, even on weekends, every day. This weekend she never went more than 5 minutes without a call or email she had to respond to from 5:30 to 11:00pm. Tried to squeeze in a walk, and had to stop at the front door 5 times to go back. When we finally left, she was on a call or texting the entire time. Same thing happened at every meal. Her entire team worked round the clock this weekend, and she is worried they will all crash.

Add to the work issues that they aren't allowing anyone to work from home, and will soon require corporate employees to redeploy to hospitals to pitch in. I don't know how many will quit rather than work in hospitals surrounded with COVID-positive patients and medical staff. My wife will have to start making appearances in hospitals to show the execs aren't afraid, so she is considering isolating in our guest room and not having contact with me or the kids for 2 months. That's not going to help the other concerns...

Then we throw on top the issue of selling my house. It's been stressful as fuck constantly going back and fixing little shit like the soffet that keeps falling out, cleaning shit, making sure roof shingles don't pop up and cause leaks (that happens several times a year, just caught one and successful glued it down with silicone before it caused damage). Now I highly doubt we can sell for several months and will probably get at least $100,000 than we would have if not for this fucking virus.

I've taken two risks in my life... When I graduated law school, I postponed the job search to study for the bar, thinking it was a good market in NYC and I could easily find a job. Even told my mother, "it's a great job market, what could possible change that?" I moved into NYC September 1, 2001. Now I buy a house before selling, wait until the Spring market, and a global fucking pandemic sweeps in 2 weeks later.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, we're right here with you for whatever that's worth. Now more than ever, we're going to need each other here in the Swamp since we're all more or less cooped up at home.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:12 am I'm all in on the terrified, and that keeps escalating...

My wife has been on the planning response team for a hospital system, so she has been non-stop for 3 weeks, and it's just starting to hit. No idea how the hospitals are going to get through this, as many are already out of emergency protective gear. Not hers yet, but many are. Drs and nurses are treating COVID patients without adequate gear, and many are starting to test positive. Many asymptomatic COVID carriers are being treated for other reasons, illness, car accident, whatever, and medical staff aren't wearing any protective gear, because they can't waste it on every patient, so I think we are going to see massive numbers of medical professionals get sick, which will further exacerbate the overflow of critical cases in hospitals.

I am terrified of my wife holding up under the stress. She has been getting on calls at 5:30am, even on weekends, every day. This weekend she never went more than 5 minutes without a call or email she had to respond to from 5:30 to 11:00pm. Tried to squeeze in a walk, and had to stop at the front door 5 times to go back. When we finally left, she was on a call or texting the entire time. Same thing happened at every meal. Her entire team worked round the clock this weekend, and she is worried they will all crash.

Add to the work issues that they aren't allowing anyone to work from home, and will soon require corporate employees to redeploy to hospitals to pitch in. I don't know how many will quit rather than work in hospitals surrounded with COVID-positive patients and medical staff. My wife will have to start making appearances in hospitals to show the execs aren't afraid, so she is considering isolating in our guest room and not having contact with me or the kids for 2 months. That's not going to help the other concerns...

Then we throw on top the issue of selling my house. It's been stressful as fuck constantly going back and fixing little shit like the soffet that keeps falling out, cleaning shit, making sure roof shingles don't pop up and cause leaks (that happens several times a year, just caught one and successful glued it down with silicone before it caused damage). Now I highly doubt we can sell for several months and will probably get at least $100,000 than we would have if not for this fucking virus.

I've taken two risks in my life... When I graduated law school, I postponed the job search to study for the bar, thinking it was a good market in NYC and I could easily find a job. Even told my mother, "it's a great job market, what could possible change that?" I moved into NYC September 1, 2001. Now I buy a house before selling, wait until the Spring market, and a global fucking pandemic sweeps in 2 weeks later.
Fuck...sorry man.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry syb.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's a brutal convergence of circumstances.

Sorry to hear all that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Syb, Dave - can't imagine what you guys and your wife/gf are going through. We're all appreciative of what they are doing, especially with the risks they are facing.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Co-sign all the above.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big same.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am Well, we're right here with you for whatever that's worth. Now more than ever, we're going to need each other here in the Swamp since we're all more or less cooped up at home.
Thanks, guys. This place has been the only oasis of normalcy in my life, it feels like my anchor. I guess work is the same, just a fuckton of questions from clients with employees refusing to show up for work out of COVID fear and my daughter interrupting me constantly asking for help with school work or IT support. Thank God my son is so self sufficient and easy. He went to the guest room, which is basically a separate apartment, and I haven't heard from him. I popped in twice, he said everything was working fine and he already finished his homework.

And then I feel guilty, because a lot of people have it way worse. I am immensely thankful I can work from home, no idea how we would have coped if I couldn't. I'm thankful that my job is one that won't be shutdown due to the economy, but a lot of my clients will, which I just realized will deeply hurt my company's bottom line. Fuck, we are going to lose a lot of clients. I am just going to focus on work and trying to maintain a sense of normalcy for my kids, while not letting them play with more than one friend at a time, and only outside.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, Syb and DiS, and everybody else - Me, Too!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My buddy wrote a song while self quarantining.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

He is truly the voice of our times. Sums up what everyone is feeling.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Okay, I don't watch "Big Brother," and I don;t speak German, however I would definitely watch this...

Big Brother Germany contestants know nothing about coronavirus — and will find out on live TV
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife mentioned that she read that some dispensaries in San Francisco are closing for awhile. Coincidentally, I received an email this morning from the one in San Jose that I've frequented, telling me that they are still open for now. Soooo, I told her I needed to run an errand.

It looked like a pretty big line outside their building, but that was partly because they made everybody in line stand six feet behind the person ahead of them (good idea). They had a limited staff and didn't let you in until they had a clerk almost available for you, which created the line, but it moved pretty quickly, and now I'm a happy boy.

funny thing - the reason they are allowed to stay open while bars, pubs, and many other places around here are forcibly closed is that they are classified among "essential" services.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

As long as local gov's aren't dicks about it rec shops could be tenable throughout the lockdowns. Supply chains are short and local (at most in-state). Transactions can be handled with limited contact. Etc etc. Packaging seem to be the only questionable resource, but I'm sure there's workarounds if supplies diminish (and again, if authorities aren't dicks about it.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They have to stay open here (also listed as an essential service), but are also limiting to 10 people at a time in store which extends the lines outside (usually you can just wait in a queue in the store).

I think I am going to order a delivery here in the next day or two. Fuck it, delivery is free you're just expected to leave a generous tip (more generous than usual under the circumstances).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Ben Gibbard playing live from his house thing was really cool. He's doing it every afternoon at 4pm pacific.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So what are you guys tipping for delivery with all this stuff these days?

I'm normally a straight 20 percent-ish guy depending on the price and how complex the order delivery (e.g. two pizzas is easy; a pizza, a sandwich, two pops and a bag of breadsticks is a pain in the ass) but really never under 20 percent.

So I just ordered from Chipotle and it was like $18, so I tipped $7. would have tipped $4 or $5 before for a similar order.

(Did do a contactless delivery too. For their sake and mine.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I put an extra couple down for the housekeeper here at the hotel. Not that this place looks like it is doing bad business, but I imagine there are several people who may be en route somewhere like I am and the hotel business will dry up soon enough, too.

BU officially closed campus as of this Sunday, so glad I'm getting a jump on it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am Strippers with your food delivery.
See, Capitalism works.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:54 pm I put an extra couple down for the housekeeper here at the hotel. Not that this place looks like it is doing bad business, but I imagine there are several people who may be en route somewhere like I am and the hotel business will dry up soon enough, too.

BU officially closed campus as of this Sunday, so glad I'm getting a jump on it.
Letter under the door at the Hilton last night that they are cutting back on housekeeping to only people checking out. So I guess we are there.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:56 pm The Ben Gibbard playing live from his house thing was really cool. He's doing it every afternoon at 4pm pacific.
I've been enjoying the tunes that Andrew Bird has been posting on his Instagram.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's fantastic. Love him, and that song.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Can't speak for other carriers, but Directv giving free week of Showtime starting today. Last week it was HBO/Cinemax.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that was great.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This morning blew chunks. Massive work stress. Said fuck it and took a half hour bike ride at lunch. Now feel much better, but this afternoon is already looking pretty shitty.

Oh and look, it's starting to rain again.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:17 pm This morning blew chunks. Massive work stress. Said fuck it and took a half hour bike ride at lunch. Now feel much better, but this afternoon is already looking pretty shitty.

Oh and look, it's starting to rain again.
Its a beautiful day here, so I think I'm going to try and go for a ride this afternoon as well. I am really starting to miss out on my morning swim and my daily bike commute. Been trying to replace it with long walks with my GF after she gets home and doing a Barre3 class every once in a while.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just made a tame but sexually suggestive joke to my wife that my 11 year old then blurted out that she understood, and it turns out she did ("I'm in middle school"). So I need this to be over soon.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am Just made a tame but sexually suggestive joke to my wife that my 11 year old then blurted out that she understood, and it turns out she did ("I'm in middle school"). So I need this to be over soon.
"Hey, you wanna fuck" isn't tame, Rass.