The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:03 pm So power has just gone out in our neighborhood. No idea when they will get it back on. Wife is freaking out about food and what to do tomorrow if we don't have power. Just trying to reassure her everything will he fine.
Out on its own or was there weather? Random outage shouldn’t be worse than a few hours.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good luck, Duff.

I noticed I was a lot more anxious today and part of that is going out this morning, but I think it's because it's windy here and I'm always on edge when it's windy ("regular" spring winds here can be really destructive). After today the weather is supposed to be pretty nice for awhile (even up into the 70s next week), so feel like I just need to hang on today.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Not sure what caused the outage. Wasn't weather. Got it all back on just around nine EST. So all is good again in the Duff household.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

City owned golf course where I've been spending my mornings with the dog has been shut.

Makes no sense as the other city parks (but not off-leash parks) remain open.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....serious question time: Is anyone else concerned about, ya know, dying from this? Because I got that thought last night.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Right now? No. If I get it? Maybe.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am So....serious question time: Is anyone else concerned about, ya know, dying from this? Because I got that thought last night.
Yes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am So....serious question time: Is anyone else concerned about, ya know, dying from this? Because I got that thought last night.
Last night was the first that me dying because of this crossed my mind.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

No.

But I am starting to freak out whenever I think about what the hospitals are going to be like soon.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yup. I haven't shown any signs at all and have done fairly well at the social distancing thing even if I have been supporting our restaurants via takeout a little too much.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 am No.

But I am starting to freak out whenever I think about what the hospitals are going to be like soon.
That’s my concern as well. All the more reason to stay home and limit contact as much as possible.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 am No.

That’s my concern as well. All the more reason to stay home and limit contact as much as possible.
Even something like - God forbid - breaking a bone. I mean, what do you do if that happens?

Shit - I'm going to meditate.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And my answer is yes in large part because of the hospital thing.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I had a mini freak-out yesterday about how we don’t have a thermometer at home and managed to track down what may have been the last one available in the St. Louis region. Thank you Target. Others here have noted that normal seasonal allergy symptoms can be stressful in these times and I’m pretty sure that’s what happened with me yesterday. My wife (a doctor) was mad at me for even going to Target but I’m reassured that we’re at least can check our temps as needed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

From a cruelly utilitarian point of view we would at least be more likely to get on a ventilator if necessary because of our relatively young ages.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 amEven something like - God forbid - breaking a bone. I mean, what do you do if that happens?
Feels like you watched my reaction to my 5 year old running full speed downhill on concrete.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having those thoughts. Mine were triggered by the long conversation about how we will deal with Kelsey, in case she gets sick...My GF and her are probably the most likely vectors for getting exposed.

Not that I'm afraid of dying...just worried about my girls.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. I've had this weird oral memory from childhood and used to recur but kinda went away after kid age though I remember it clearly. Last night I swore it was a premonition of death on a breathing machine. Still believe it tbh.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

With allergies kicking in, yeah, thought crosses my mind every day. Not so concerned about dying, but getting it bad and debating whether to go to the hospital. I feel a little better as my doctor, who is the chair of the Family Medicine practice in my wife's system stopped by to visit her the other day and made her promise several times that we would call his cell directly if we need anything. The guy is awesome, and we have hung out at various hospital fundraisers and events. I normally wouldn't feel comfortable cashing in on favors, but this guy genuinely means it and would be hurt if we didn't call him. At least I could get a FaceTime monitoring to let me know when it's time to go to the hospital.

What I'm more afraid of is getting sick and needing to take care of the kids, because my wife can't be home. I'm also afraid of her getting sick, because she still goes in. Fortunately not to the hospitals yet, but she has doctors in her offices all the time. They actually started taking everyone's temps before they can enter. We got a mini-fridge for the guest room and still discussing isolating my wife in that part of the house.

Funny thing, I've been hesitant to eat edibles, because I get super sensitive to my sinuses. It's weird. I have a deviated septum and I'm too scared of the surgery, so I've ignored it. First thing I feel with the edibles, I can feel the insides of my sinuses with every breath. Ordinarily, it's nothing. It's the first sign of the weed kicking in, which makes me happy. With allergy sinus issues, I get super focused on it, and with the virus, I don't want to spiral thinking about it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm With allergies kicking in, yeah, thought crosses my mind every day. Not so concerned about dying, but getting it bad and debating whether to go to the hospital. I feel a little better as my doctor, who is the chair of the Family Medicine practice in my wife's system stopped by to visit her the other day and made her promise several times that we would call his cell directly if we need anything. The guy is awesome, and we have hung out at various hospital fundraisers and events. I normally wouldn't feel comfortable cashing in on favors, but this guy genuinely means it and would be hurt if we didn't call him. At least I could get a FaceTime monitoring to let me know when it's time to go to the hospital.

What I'm more afraid of is getting sick and needing to take care of the kids, because my wife can't be home. I'm also afraid of her getting sick, because she still goes in. Fortunately not to the hospitals yet, but she has doctors in her offices all the time. They actually started taking everyone's temps before they can enter. We got a mini-fridge for the guest room and still discussing isolating my wife in that part of the house.

Funny thing, I've been hesitant to eat edibles, because I get super sensitive to my sinuses. It's weird. I have a deviated septum and I'm too scared of the surgery, so I've ignored it. First thing I feel with the edibles, I can feel the insides of my sinuses with every breath. Ordinarily, it's nothing. It's the first sign of the weed kicking in, which makes me happy. With allergy sinus issues, I get super focused on it, and with the virus, I don't want to spiral thinking about it.
I don't have a family doctor right now. I went for a physical for the first time in years about a year and a half ago and did not care at all for the woman we saw, so I haven't been back. I guess I'm technically a patient? I've had no communication from them in 1.5 years.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I know this is a weird, baseless thought, but if its my fate in life to spend 15 years binge drugging, finally turn my life around, hit a year sober and then have my body decide a virus is going to kill it, then so fucking be it. I've been on borrowed time for a long time anyway.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm
I know this is a weird, baseless thought, but if its my fate in life to spend 15 years binge drugging, finally turn my life around, hit a year sober and then have my body decide a virus is going to kill it, then so fucking be it. I've been on borrowed time for a long time anyway.
That's the drugs talking, you'll be fine. In fact at least you've been clean so your lungs should be in way better shape than they would have been otherwise probably.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If I'm being honest I think things like "why did I let myself gain 40 pounds?"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

But too late now fuckers. We're riding this out with the ammo we got.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'd imagine that thoughts like that are not uncommon. Your making it to a year of sobriety is a definite highlight of this so far shitty year.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am
I'd imagine that thoughts like that are not uncommon. Your making it to a year of sobriety is a definite highlight of this so far shitty year.
Thank you. Its very very weird to me that people actually watch my sobriety and care. Just as a core concept, its hard for my brain to accept. I don't quite know what to say
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I can not remember having this much trouble getting work done.

What should literally have taken 2-3 hours seems to have dragged on for two days.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

No but within the past few days I've been legitimately concerned about parents and grandparent.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My mom is 70, has smoked for 55 years and gets winded walking to get the mail so I’m definitely trying to get her to take this seriously which she seems to be doing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 pmNo but within the past few days I've been legitimately concerned about parents and grandparent.
In the past week I’ve accepted the kids schools are going to lose parents over this which is a super fucked up place to be. A minimum of three parents in her 3rd grade have it already.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Sister facility of ours is in one of the worst zones in France. 400+ people in a smaller region already dead. Spoke with a friend and he says everyone has a family member, friend, or neighbor who has already died. I’ve spent lots of time there and love it (right by Colmar in Alsace) and have good friends. It’s hitting them on family, social, and economic levels. That place will never be the same. And this is an area that has survived both world wars. And it’s not even on the radar for the wider issues.

I’m terrified y’all.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So we found out yesterday afternoon that the State has given orders to the Agency that provides/coordinates all of Kelsey's care that they need to limit her possible exposure and that going forward there can be no 'back and forth', no visits, no outside people.

Which means that the GF (and her Ex) can't see Kelsey until this is all over. Which I know makes sense, but its going to be so hard on Kelsey. We are going to try facetiming with her a couple of times a day, but she won't understand what's going on.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am So we found out yesterday afternoon that the State has given orders to the Agency that provides/coordinates all of Kelsey's care that they need to limit her possible exposure and that going forward there can be no 'back and forth', no visits, no outside people.

Which means that the GF (and her Ex) can't see Kelsey until this is all over. Which I know makes sense, but its going to be so hard on Kelsey. We are going to try facetiming with her a couple of times a day, but she won't understand what's going on.
Oh shit. At first, I thought the helpers weren't going to be able to visit and you and your GF would have to take her in. Not sure which is worse... Sorry Dave, this is tough.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:48 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am So we found out yesterday afternoon that the State has given orders to the Agency that provides/coordinates all of Kelsey's care that they need to limit her possible exposure and that going forward there can be no 'back and forth', no visits, no outside people.

Oh shit. At first, I thought the helpers weren't going to be able to visit and you and your GF would have to take her in. Not sure which is worse... Sorry Dave, this is tough.
Well...that's the other option. Which isn't an option at all, since my GF has to work (as a health care worker, she's considered essential) and I'm working remotely.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn, Dave. I'm sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh man, that's rough. I can't imagine...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:39 am Oh man, that's rough. I can't imagine...
Thanks everyone....we kinda knew something like this was going to happen, but we thought it would be in response to someone (Kelsey, us, a caregiver) getting the bug.

Just another thing that's happening in the world that we have no control over.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's just brutal.

So sorry to hear it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sorry to hear that DiS.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that's just shitty for all concerned, including Kelsey.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian