The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by brian »

But at least she's raking in all those Benjamins though, right?

Anyway, sorry man. I have some friends who are teachers, so I feel her pain. Rough time for everyone, but they've been getting some of the worst of it other than maybe folks like grocery store employees, hospital employees and some others.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry guys.

I’m not super happy with the amount of work (or lack of work) our kids have on a daily basis, but I get it. More concerned about the fall than one marking period right now (though 8th grade graduation is a big deal in town). Listened in on a Zoom PTA meeting the other day with the principal and everyone was very reasonable.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:54 pm But at least she's raking in all those Benjamins though, right?
No complaints on that. Lucky we both are still working, even though it is remote.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:58 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:54 pm But at least she's raking in all those Benjamins though, right?
No complaints on that. Lucky we both are still working, even though it is remote.
I was joking about how teachers are underpaid, but yeah...I guess honestly these days those still working are the lucky ones.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:00 pm
duff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:58 pm
I was joking about how teachers are underpaid, but yeah...I guess honestly these days those still working are the lucky ones.
20 years plus masters degree helps. And that fact it was all before freezes on salary.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Still no results. This is absurd.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is unconscionable.

Did you get the test taken at a private lab, or at a hospital?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:28 am Still no results. This is absurd.
How are you feeling?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been over a week, right? Do you have a viable local health department that you can contact and get to pressure the lab/doc?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Y'all realize he's in Alabama, right?

Seriously though, that sucks. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

We were zooming with our 5th graders trying to figure out cool year-end stuff to do for them and asked if there were any questions. A student asked when she could get back into the school to get her stuff. It was a reminder of how sudden this was for everyone, especially kids who who don't pay attention to the news.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Finally got results back, negative. We went so far as to call Doug Jones office for support. They let the senator know they had my results before me!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Square Rob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 am Finally got results back, negative. We went so far as to call Doug Jones office for support. They let the senator know they had my results before me!
That's definitely good news, though sorry you were sick for "nothing".
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

To be honest, I had a horrible W/Th/F/Sa and honestly thought I had this. Turns out it was just a bad flu. For three days though I could barely get out of bed.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:41 am To be honest, I had a horrible W/Th/F/Sa and honestly thought I had this. Turns out it was just a bad flu. For three days though I could barely get out of bed.
Glad you are feeling better. I'm curious, did you test positive for flu? I'm not confident in the accuracy of the tests, and I keep hearing about how the virus mutates, so I wonder if mutated versions show up on tests. That said, I don't understand virology, just trying to make sense of this virus.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

My doc never had me in the office. My temp spiked late in day, and we called them first thing in AM. After phone discussion he wanted me to go get covid test immediately.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Serious question. Do any of you guys ever feel guilty getting food delivered when you know the delivery people hardly make shit for money? (I tip pretty well, minimum $5 regardless of order and about 25 percent if tip would be more than $5), but I still feel guilty because I can afford to have them bring me food and they’ve got to work their ass off.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 pm Serious question. Do any of you guys ever feel guilty getting food delivered when you know the delivery people hardly make shit for money? (I tip pretty well, minimum $5 regardless of order and about 25 percent if tip would be more than $5), but I still feel guilty because I can afford to have them bring me food and they’ve got to work their ass off.
I mean. They don’t have to be delivery drivers. So I don’t feel guilty but I also tip well just because I didn’t have to get out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's a big part of why I don't do to grocery store delivery thing; it just feels too fucked up to pay someone else take health risks so I don't have to.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This is America. There is a right price for anything. Just make up the difference between instacart and actual value if you feel that bad. The last lady I got started sending Facebook messages about blessings when I tipped her. And it wasn't THAT great. Way better than usual but still less than I would have paid. You're the solution not the problem.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DoorDash and Grubhub and their ilk take huge cuts of the price, so if you want to help out your local restaurants, go pick it up yourself. You can order and pay online at many places, so you just grab the food and go, with minimal interaction. One less person gets exposed to your food and the restaurant gets all the money.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:13 pm DoorDash and Grubhub and their ilk take huge cuts of the price, so if you want to help out your local restaurants, go pick it up yourself. You can order and pay online at many places, so you just grab the food and go, with minimal interaction. One less person gets exposed to your food and the restaurant gets all the money.
I think I have used each of those once time apiece. Definitely usually go pick it up. But pizza or jimmy johns? They already had systems in place.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:43 pm This is America. There is a right price for anything. Just make up the difference between instacart and actual value if you feel that bad. The last lady I got started sending Facebook messages about blessings when I tipped her. And it wasn't THAT great. Way better than usual but still less than I would have paid. You're the solution not the problem.
That's the argument if I'm uncomfortable paying for a housekeeper or something, not choosing to have someone else shop for you in a pandemic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

My strategy for not tipping is to do my own shopping and cooking. Yeah, I’m not exactly morally comfortable with thinking I’ll just beat the virus by staying at home while others do chores for me. But more selfishly, I want to do my own shopping. Bill Parcells once said that if he’s doing the cooking, he wants to go buy the groceries too. He was talking about football, but the saying works just as well for cooking.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We're having the wife make all of the grocery runs, but she has a lot fewer co-morbidities than me (asthma, overweight, HBP (controlled with medication), etc.

I'm not especially worried about it, but I'm in no hurry to get it and roll the dice. I'd like to put it off as long as I possibly can and give the medical community time to do its thing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 pm My strategy for not tipping is to do my own shopping and cooking. Yeah, I’m not exactly morally comfortable with thinking I’ll just beat the virus by staying at home while others do chores for me. But more selfishly, I want to do my own shopping. Bill Parcells once said that if he’s doing the cooking, he wants to go buy the groceries too. He was talking about football, but the saying works just as well for cooking.
Oh yeah, we cook at home most of the time. My wife is a great cook, and no way is she letting somebody else pick out the produce for her. So she definitely does the grocery shopping.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:20 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:13 pm DoorDash and Grubhub and their ilk take huge cuts of the price, so if you want to help out your local restaurants, go pick it up yourself. You can order and pay online at many places, so you just grab the food and go, with minimal interaction. One less person gets exposed to your food and the restaurant gets all the money.
I think I have used each of those once time apiece. Definitely usually go pick it up. But pizza or jimmy johns? They already had systems in place.
Yep.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Or, if you call in your order like some luddite, please do not use the phone number posted on a site like those listed above. Often, the number they list functions as a gateway connecting you to the restaurant's phone number and they take a cut of your business as a "referral".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rex wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 pm But more selfishly, I want to do my own shopping. Bill Parcells once said that if he’s doing the cooking, he wants to go buy the groceries too. He was talking about football, but the saying works just as well for cooking.
Less selfishly, but yes, also that. I don’t need a fridge full of apples with soft spots and the shittiest fucking leeks you can grab.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

h/t phxgators
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And of course there is a guy in an American flag shirt and another with a visible guy strapped to his belt. I saw the same number of masks as I saw firearms. We are fucked. Maybe there are so few cases out there it's not a big deal, I don't know. According to my mother, there are only 7 COVID patients in all of the hospitals in her county. If that's true, they probably don't need to stay on as strict a lockdown as they are under.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm And of course there is a guy in an American flag shirt and another with a visible guy strapped to his belt.
Master blaster?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It appears everyone in my wife's family is a fucking moron.

Her sister was at their horse farm in Florida and took her daughter to their friends' place in Miami ("we're only going to their place, it's fine"). Her mom, who also lives in Florida, went to visit her sister and niece. The county where her dad and step-mother live is not officially opening up, unlike the rest of western Pennsylvania, but local businesses will still open for business because "it's just in the nursing homes", to which my wife responded, "did the residents bring it in?"

It's fucking tiring.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry man.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

On an up note - after one month in the hospital and two times on a vent - Brianna’s mother-in-law went home on Saturday.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, I'm just a bit too country I suppose. But I read bengal's post as "going home" to mean she died. I missed the "up note" part I guess.

It's early.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

LITERALLY went to her home, you through and through Kentuckian - not figuratively...
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

rass wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:42 pm

h/t phxgators
Yep. We're so full of stupid here.

This was my favorite breakfast place. Started hearing rumblings the day before that she was going to open up, because FREEDOM. The owner apparently didn't tell her employees, so they showed up expecting to be handling takeout and instead got this. The lady in teal lives a baseball throw away from us, her daughter has been in the same class as my youngest. It's been 'fun' to see her stupid ass plastered all over the national news. I'd like to believe she'd be ashamed, but if she was, she wouldn't have gone in the first place.

And our next door neighbors had friends over yesterday, for at least the 4th weekend in a row. So much stupidity around.