The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:40 pm Can you get more into what you mean by the numbers looking flat? We're losing about 1000 Americans every day at this point. We were at around 150k at the end of last week (thereabouts) and we are up to 161k as of this morning (last I checked.)
Well it was at about 2,000 a day I think for a bit but now it is around 1,000 as you say. It may be more mask mandates helping and Maybe I'm being too tinfoil hat about it, it just seems like there hasn't been as much discussion about it as there was a few weeks ago.

I dunno, I'm just kinda tired of everything at the moment so it may be me subconsciously not seeing things for peace of mind, too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:40 pm Can you get more into what you mean by the numbers looking flat? We're losing about 1000 Americans every day at this point. We were at around 150k at the end of last week (thereabouts) and we are up to 161k as of this morning (last I checked.)
Well it was at about 2,000 a day I think for a bit but now it is around 1,000 as you say. It may be more mask mandates helping and Maybe I'm being too tinfoil hat about it, it just seems like there hasn't been as much discussion about it as there was a few weeks ago.

I dunno, I'm just kinda tired of everything at the moment so it may be me subconsciously not seeing things for peace of mind, too.
I stopped tracking the numbers for WEEKS after we topped 100k... Definitely not a healthy thing (for me, at least) to get too deep in following the shitshow to that extent on a daily basis.

As Mr. D posted via that Twitter piece, I'm not saying there isn't some fudging going on in certain parts of the country. But we're getting enough of an overall picture with the sources JHU is using.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm
rass wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 am Gonna sign a lease for a shore house for the week of 8/22. Comes with a COVID19 related addendum that if travel or short-term rentals are banned again, or if the beaches are closed, we get a refund. Pet friendly, stayed in the same house last summer.
Just booked a different house in the same town for the following week. If there are no sports and both kids are 100% virtual I could probably be talked into going back later in September or early October...
Less than 2 weeks! Woo?

(that appears to be taken at a beach on the heart of the boardwalk and we're staying well way from there week 1 and well WELL away from there week 2)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pretty sure bleu cheese is 94% bleach so we're fine over here
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

School district has allowed students to apply to be all virtual for fall semester. Our youngest prefer it so we will probably go that route.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

One of my law partners caught the Rona. Apparently she’s mostly recovered now, but she was wiped out for about a week.

She’s on leave due to her ongoing breast cancer treatment, so no risk of exposure to others at my firm.

(But holy shit, Rona and chemo at the same time? Fuck that.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just back from getting a test.

Brutal digestive incidents (nice euphemism) all day and light headedness. Dr. says he is pretty positive I'm fine, but better to be safe.

And man, when that swab went in, my tear ducts opened wide. Crazy.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, man
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How we doin' Pruitt?

Schools in town are officially 100% virtual through 10/15, due to "additional standards, along with the number of teachers who have requested a leave of absence". The situation will be re-assed as the school year progresses.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Everybody loves a good re-assing, ammirite?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 pm How we doin' Pruitt?

Schools in town are officially 100% virtual through 10/15, due to "additional standards, along with the number of teachers who have requested a leave of absence". The situation will be re-assed as the school year progresses.
Interesting. We just went from the less restrictive plan to the more restrictive plan with a deadline of tomorrow to elect for fully remote. Half days, no lunch, gym or recess. In school 4 days a week, half the class is remote on Zoom, half in class, switch every week. My son wanted to opt for full remote, and we had plans for "study pods" with a couple of his friends doing remote. When they switched the in-school plan, all his friends decided to go in. He is really freaked out about going to school, but you can choose to opt for remote at any time, but if you choose remote, you are stuck with the choice until November.

I'm leaning towards sending both kids, mostly because they are both starting in new schools. My daughter has anxiety issues, so she is naturally worried about starting middle school. She said she wanted to go remote, but when we discussed why, fear of lockers and finding her classrooms was more of a concern than COVID. I feel if she delays going to school, her anxiety over lockers and navigating the school will amplify, plus everyone else will have 3 months on her there, and she will be one of the only ones struggling with that. Same for my son starting HS, but his fears are more COVID related.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

ass to ass!

I had written "reevaluated" and then changed it at the last second just because the letter used "re-assessed".
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm
rass wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 pm How we doin' Pruitt?

Interesting. We just went from the less restrictive plan to the more restrictive plan with a deadline of tomorrow to elect for fully remote. Half days, no lunch, gym or recess. In school 4 days a week, half the class is remote on Zoom, half in class, switch every week. My son wanted to opt for full remote, and we had plans for "study pods" with a couple of his friends doing remote. When they switched the in-school plan, all his friends decided to go in. He is really freaked out about going to school, but you can choose to opt for remote at any time, but if you choose remote, you are stuck with the choice until November.

I'm leaning towards sending both kids, mostly because they are both starting in new schools. My daughter has anxiety issues, so she is naturally worried about starting middle school. She said she wanted to go remote, but when we discussed why, fear of lockers and finding her classrooms was more of a concern than COVID. I feel if she delays going to school, her anxiety over lockers and navigating the school will amplify, plus everyone else will have 3 months on her there, and she will be one of the only ones struggling with that. Same for my son starting HS, but his fears are more COVID related.
I believe SP/F made the decision this week to go 100% virtual to start the year, too. You guys might end up behind the curve.

Our oldest will be upset if she can't go part-time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Getting to the age where hemorrhoids are a thing, so I wouldn't mind a re-assing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm negative!

I didn't think I had covid, but it's still a relief to get the word.

Party!!!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:28 pm I'm negative!

Party!!!
Glad to hear, Pruitt. Also, you should register "Brutal Digestive Incidents" as a band name before someone else takes it.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Party!!!
Glad to hear, Pruitt. Also, you should register "Brutal Digestive Incidents" as a band name before someone else takes it.
That would be a great name for a punk band for seniors.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thinks it’s a better album name than band name.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:38 pm I thinks it’s a better album name than band name.
I think you're right. Maybe for a Dead Kennedys' reunion?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Party!!!
Doesn’t Hood have the trademark on that?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 pm

Party!!!
Doesn’t Hood have the trademark on that?
Cabbage Soup’s seminal album, Brutal Digestive Incidents, on vinyl for this one time only pressing. Call now, operators are standing by.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Truly a Brutal Digestive Incident!

But I shudder to think of what you had to look at if you ran that through a Google search.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Our staff of 16 is now down to 6. We're going to charge for virtual enrichment, homework help, and social time, but I'm still expecting we'll lose over 100 grand this school year so furlough may be coming soon. The school system is fucking us over and parents are pissed, sending kids to private schools or opting for home learning and teachers are threatening to strike because of the incompetence of the school board and superintendent. And this is supposedly one of the best school systems in Massachusetts (btw: school systems rankings are bullshit; students get good test scores here because wealthy parents pay for tutoring and more and offspring of two highly successful doctors/engineers/lawyers etc happen to be pretty smart no matter what school they go to). And a fun fact: schools are putting up tents to help with social distancing but they can't call them tents because tents require a sprinkler system in MA, so call them canopies.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Made it to the shore. Even found a great parking spot (for my car, took two this year because the girls have a friend coming week 2 and we need to drive her home). Haven’t been down to the beach or boardwalk yet but lots of masks just walking around.

Assuming we can tire out the 12 year out every day so she falls asleep instead of keeping herself awake pondering her apparently new found mortality (she’s been struggling at bed time the past 2 weeks, told us at some point she was scared someone was going to break into the house, and told my wife last night that she was scared she was going to die) all should be great. At worst every other night will be ok...

Did not ever get my froggy swim trunks. Sad!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Spending the night in Eugene, on our way to Seattle. I have to say I am disappointed with all the maskless people I saw walking around on the University of Oregon campus. Not just kids.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:28 pm Made it to the shore. Even found a great parking spot (for my car, took two this year because the girls have a friend coming week 2 and we need to drive her home). Haven’t been down to the beach or boardwalk yet but lots of masks just walking around.

Assuming we can tire out the 12 year out every day so she falls asleep instead of keeping herself awake pondering her apparently new found mortality (she’s been struggling at bed time the past 2 weeks, told us at some point she was scared someone was going to break into the house, and told my wife last night that she was scared she was going to die) all should be great. At worst every other night will be ok...

Edibles should cure the anxiety and difficulty sleeping.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:35 pm
rass wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:28 pm Made it to the shore. Even found a great parking spot (for my car, took two this year because the girls have a friend coming week 2 and we need to drive her home). Haven’t been down to the beach or boardwalk yet but lots of masks just walking around.

Thanks buddy. Visions of dosing 12 year olds is exactly what we need to turn out the vote locally this fall.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:30 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks buddy. Visions of dosing 12 year olds is exactly what we need to turn out the vote locally this fall.
Hey, it looks like legalizing recreational marijuana is getting on the ballot in NJ this year! It's polling at 62% in favor.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, that’s what I meant.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 am Yeah, that’s what I meant.
Ha, don't know how I misread your post...
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My froggy swim trunks just got delivered. If someone wants to grab them off my front porch and bring them down here I’ll make you a dark and stormy.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pulled the trigger on a trip, and I'm typing to you all from Wrightsville Beach. Kind of a weird mix:

The day we arrived (Saturday) must've been a UNC-Wilmington beach day, because it was PACKED coming over the bridge... Non of the kids wearing masks. We are 3 blocks off the main access, so our beach was pretty crowded, but manageable. Yesterday, you could see things thinning out. Figure today will be even better.

EVERYONE wearing masks inside the stores. Outdoor dining with appropriate spacing is available... We'll probably hit the closer brewery that has good food for lunch. Might just stick with carry-out... the kids are way more cautious than the already pretty careful parents.

Wife was freaked out at first, but I talked her down a bit and now we just went for a nice walk around a loop and she's cool.

Super nice to get away.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:26 am Plus, I think those private schools are going to end up having to shut down anyway, then they are in scramble mode if they aren't actively preparing for the contingency alongside getting ready to go back to school. That will affect the "gap" but I also don't think most private schools really give that much of a better education than public schools under normal circumstances.
Shocker:

Lexington Catholic High School will begin virtual learning Monday, August 24, after confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported in the school.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 am My froggy swim trunks just got delivered. If someone wants to grab them off my front porch and bring them down here I’ll make you a dark and stormy.
I'd rather just pick them up, wear them and make my own drink, thanks.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:17 am Pulled the trigger on a trip, and I'm typing to you all from Wrightsville Beach. Kind of a weird mix:

The day we arrived (Saturday) must've been a UNC-Wilmington beach day, because it was PACKED coming over the bridge... Non of the kids wearing masks. We are 3 blocks off the main access, so our beach was pretty crowded, but manageable. Yesterday, you could see things thinning out. Figure today will be even better.

EVERYONE wearing masks inside the stores. Outdoor dining with appropriate spacing is available... We'll probably hit the closer brewery that has good food for lunch. Might just stick with carry-out... the kids are way more cautious than the already pretty careful parents.

Wife was freaked out at first, but I talked her down a bit and now we just went for a nice walk around a loop and she's cool.

Super nice to get away.
I know you guys were worried: Beach was not quite empty, but... 20 yards between us and the next, at the busiest. Only issue is Marco is kind of fucking up our weather. Second day we've been sent off the beach for lightning.

Went and got a massive carry out order at Jerry Allen's Bar & Grille... Took my temp before letting me in. Order wasn't ready, so, fuck it, ordered a beer. Everyone wearing masks coming in, then social distancing and masks off. I was one of 4 people in there, other than a couple of masked folks coming in just for carry out that was ready.

I'm not going back there to just hang out at the bar, but that felt pretty damn safe, all things considered.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:17 am Pulled the trigger on a trip, and I'm typing to you all from Wrightsville Beach. Kind of a weird mix:

Super nice to get away.
I know you guys were worried: Beach was not quite empty, but... 20 yards between us and the next, at the busiest. Only issue is Marco is kind of fucking up our weather. Second day we've been sent off the beach for lightning.

Went and got a massive carry out order at Jerry Allen's Bar & Grille... Took my temp before letting me in. Order wasn't ready, so, fuck it, ordered a beer. Everyone wearing masks coming in, then social distancing and masks off. I was one of 4 people in there, other than a couple of masked folks coming in just for carry out that was ready.

I'm not going back there to just hang out at the bar, but that felt pretty damn safe, all things considered.
I was just a few islands north of you this weekend. As always, nobody wears masks on the beach, but that really doesn't bother me, as it's outside, it's breezy, etc. Granted, the people that largely make up the "crowd" at our beach are likely highly correlated with the "COVID is a liberal hoax!" crowd.

(Just realized that I've lived in NC over 25 years now and have never been to Wrightsville Beach.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My kids, both college age, love this place because of the UNC-W crowd. Obviously a different vibe this year, but they still like the overall vibe.

I've been really impressed with the mask wearing at the Harris Teeter, liquor store, etc.

And, yeah, I don't expect ppl to wear masks on the beach. Just like I don't really expect people out walking or jogging or biking to do so... As long as they make the effort to distance when you pass each other. A good number of folks down here make zero effort on the walking paths. That's fine, we'll do it for you... It's just very different from back home.