Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by Giff »

Sorry Dave.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I work for a water utility. My anxiety is manageable, but I really don't like thinking about the plant operators. There just aren't that many of them. Highly skilled, incredibly specialized (as in, often, plant by plant needing years of experience to master.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I went for a semi-long bike ride (23 miles) yesterday evening after work. I figured 'hey, its safe...I'm being socially distant, and I could use the exercise/stress relief'.

But on my ride, I started looking around at everyone else on the bike path, either riding, running, or just out walking and I had the thought of 'what are all these people doing out of their homes?'. But then I realized that they were all doing the same thing as I was.

So...now I'm all conflicted. Is going out for bike rides during all of this socially responsible? Am I contributing to the problem?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:58 am I went for a semi-long bike ride (23 miles) yesterday evening after work. I figured 'hey, its safe...I'm being socially distant, and I could use the exercise/stress relief'.

But on my ride, I started looking around at everyone else on the bike path, either riding, running, or just out walking and I had the thought of 'what are all these people doing out of their homes?'. But then I realized that they were all doing the same thing as I was.

So...now I'm all conflicted. Is going out for bike rides during all of this socially responsible? Am I contributing to the problem?
I think if you take extra care to distance more because you(and the others out exercising) are likely breathing harder it's fine. #notadoctor
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, from what I've read, being outside at a safe distance isn't an issue.

I get really annoyed on our evening walks when ppl don't make an effort to distance. Like, wtf are you doing?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

My answer is yes, you are contributing to the problem. Enough to matter (get sick or get someone else sick)? Probably not. Enough to offset your need to release stress and stay healthy. Probably not. Moreso on a busy bike path than walking in the middle of a street around a quiet neighborhood? Probably.

If you tested positive but felt fine, would you still do it?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 am My answer is yes, you are contributing to the problem. Enough to matter (get sick or get someone else sick)? Probably not. Enough to offset your need to release stress and stay healthy. Probably not. Moreso on a busy bike path than walking in the middle of a street around a quiet neighborhood? Probably. If you tested positive but felt fine, would you still do it?
Yeah, I think those are good points/questions. For example, by my house they had to close a county park the includes a walking path around a mountain because it literally had hundreds of people walking around a 2.5 mile loop. I used to do the same loop when I was trying to get exercise but I wasn't doing that before the county ordered it closed because -- too many people. But I'm still trying to walk around the neighborhood and I might come across two or three people during that time and just trying to maintain distance.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

From a public health standpoint, asking people to literally lock themselves in their homes 24/7 simply isn't sustainable. You are going to see all sorts of other health issues crop up in 4-6 weeks if people don't get out and exercise and take a mental break from confinement.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am From a public health standpoint, asking people to literally lock themselves in their homes 24/7 simply isn't sustainable. You are going to see all sorts of other health issues crop up in 4-6 weeks if people don't get out and exercise and take a mental break from confinement.
For sure. I think it's mostly a common sense exercise (no pun intended). If you are doing something which minimizes your potential contact with others, then good. If you are doing something which forces you to constantly be dodging people, then probably bad.

ETA: You can argue that if Person X wasn't doing it there wouldn't be as many people and therefore you (Person Z) could do it, but ethical questions don't really work like that. Have to go by the reality.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am walking three times a day to try and maintain some sanity and some sort of health (mental and otherwise). I am staying to the neighborhood but I am talking two - three mile loops. My understanding is that is okay under Maryland's stay-at-home order. I live in a city neighborhood with homes on their own lots, not in a traditional urban center of condos and apartment buildings. I stay six feet away from others. I don't think I am contributing to the problem.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am I am walking three times a day to try and maintain some sanity and some sort of health (mental and otherwise). I am staying to the neighborhood but I am talking two - three mile loops. My understanding is that is okay under Maryland's stay-at-home order. I live in a city neighborhood with homes on their own lots, not in a traditional urban center of condos and apartment buildings. I stay six feet away from others. I don't think I am contributing to the problem.
I can't speak to there, but here at least it's pretty easy to stay six+ feet away from others on sidewalks, etc. And even then if you are within six feet for a matter of one or two seconds I don't think that's anything to sweat about. It's the prolonged close contact or overcrowded trails/parks that are exacerbating the problem.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The big controversy in NJ is that the shore towns have closed the boardwalks (and beaches) to foot/bike traffic. Which I guess is akin to closing down a heavily traveled park or something.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

On the cycling front, my only thought is how much risk are you taking to end up in an ER/doc visit right now for doing that type of exercise. I am willing to take that risk but it is my primarily calculation (my daughter is a maniac and has hurt herself due to lack of concentration or no risk filter). Last thing our healthcare system needs is a non-COVID person picking up COVID because they were doing something and it went bad.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 am On the cycling front, my only thought is how much risk are you taking to end up in an ER/doc visit right now for doing that type of exercise. I am willing to take that risk but it is my primarily calculation (my daughter is a maniac and has hurt herself due to lack of concentration or no risk filter). Last thing our healthcare system needs is a non-COVID person picking up COVID because they were doing something and it went bad.
There was a young couple in my 'hood, she was on a bike (no helmet) and he was riding a skateboard (no helmet). They were going down a steep hill and he got too much speed and had to bail and spring for 10-15 yards to avoid biting it. Like, good for you to get out of the house, but do you really want to break your wrist/go to the ER right now??
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I've been same way about kids in the kitchen. Baking cooking has become a major pastime for the kids but I'm a little paranoid about needing stitches etc. Of course I'm about to dig up stumps and build a privacy screen so maybe not the best model.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 am On the cycling front, my only thought is how much risk are you taking to end up in an ER/doc visit right now for doing that type of exercise. I am willing to take that risk but it is my primarily calculation (my daughter is a maniac and has hurt herself due to lack of concentration or no risk filter). Last thing our healthcare system needs is a non-COVID person picking up COVID because they were doing something and it went bad.
I'm about to start riding again (once the snow stops). I figure (hope) there's less risk because there will be less traffic. And I don't expect there to be any crowds where I go.

Dave, is it feasible for you to drive somewhere out of town, where there are fewer people, and then ride there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am I am walking three times a day to try and maintain some sanity and some sort of health (mental and otherwise). I am staying to the neighborhood but I am talking two - three mile loops. My understanding is that is okay under Maryland's stay-at-home order. I live in a city neighborhood with homes on their own lots, not in a traditional urban center of condos and apartment buildings. I stay six feet away from others. I don't think I am contributing to the problem.
Ditto across the board.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Ditto across the board.
Well, Maryland's order probably doesn't apply to you.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm Dave, is it feasible for you to drive somewhere out of town, where there are fewer people, and then ride there?
I could do that...or I could ride on some less traffic'ed routes. I did find when I rode in the morning a couple of days ago there were way less people out and about, so maybe I'll go back to doing that.

Or I could just set up my wind trainer again, and go that way.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My walks have helped me get into my new routine. About 35 minutes the same time every morning listening to the two podcasts I'd listen to driving into work each morning.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 pm My walks have helped me get into my new routine. About 35 minutes the same time every morning listening to the two podcasts I'd listen to driving into work each morning.
I think I'm gonna start that next week. I'm getting pretty backed up on podcasts without my 30 minute commutes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

There are two women who go for a daily walk in our development. One walks on the side of the road and the other in the middle of the street so they can maintain distance and still hold a conversation.

On my evening walk, I aggressively go out of my way to avoid any people who are out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:00 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm Dave, is it feasible for you to drive somewhere out of town, where there are fewer people, and then ride there?
I could do that...or I could ride on some less traffic'ed routes. I did find when I rode in the morning a couple of days ago there were way less people out and about, so maybe I'll go back to doing that.

It is a non-trivial startup cost (but way less than Peloton and way more enjoyable) BUT I highly endorse a smart trainer and Zwift. I did over 130 miles last week and have already put in 63 miles this week in the comfort of my basement. You can do running on treadmills on Zwift too.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A neighbor a couple of streets over tested positive. He's a corrections officer. My wife has been texting with his wife, and his doctor's office hasn't called them back in two days.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:00 pm

It is a non-trivial startup cost (but way less than Peloton and way more enjoyable) BUT I highly endorse a smart trainer and Zwift. I did over 130 miles last week and have already put in 63 miles this week in the comfort of my basement. You can do running on treadmills on Zwift too.
Those look cool, but if I'm spending that much money I'm going to just buy a new bike. I've got the old school trainer that I used to use a lot when I was rehabbing my knee.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:43 am A neighbor a couple of streets over tested positive. He's a corrections officer. My wife has been texting with his wife, and his doctor's office hasn't called them back in two days.
Ugh. We had a close call at work this week - one of my partners' 10yo daughter had a 103 fever. They went in for a test Wednesday and yesterday found out it was negative.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Standing in my first line outside to get into a grocery store. A lot more masks than the last time I ventured into a store a little less than a week ago.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Walked into the house like motherfucking boss this AM with a 12 roll pack of name brand toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 am Walked into the house like motherfucking boss this AM with a 12 roll pack of name brand toilet paper.
That hunting and gathering instinct never really goes away.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:18 am Standing in my first line outside to get into a grocery store. A lot more masks than the last time I ventured into a store a little less than a week ago.
Went to Trader Joe's yesterday afternoon. More than half the people had masks on. Line to get in. One out, one in. Not too bad, except for the old man in front of me in line, who wanted to talk to me the entire time we waited (starting with chastising me for not wearing a mask). I'm guessing the lack of social contact had been getting to him. But he didn't want a conversation - he wanted an audience. The guy literally would not shut up. Then finally, when he was first in line, and a Trader Joe's employee waived him to go into the store, he ignored the guy until he finished the long boring story he was telling me. Then, after he finally went inside, the two Trader Joe's guys nearby were cracking up. One of them said to me. "you really paid your dues today!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey, I was a TJ's, too! By far the biggest bill I've ever racked up there.

No TP, bacon, or Apple Cereal Bars. The apple bars are a staple of breakfast for my oldest. Only about a week's supply left, so we're going to need to figure what else she'll eat that we can get her hands on. Not that she's super picky, she just eats them every fucking day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The fig ones are so much better.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The only other ones she'll eat are the pumpkin.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just got back from a trip to the grocery store. Lots of folks in masks, but still a lot of knuckleheads who don't get distancing.

On our walk yesterday afternoon, this younger guy was jogging and instead of veering off the sidewalk and into the street, he came right at us. I actually said WTF out loud and moved into the grass.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Unemployment claim submitted yesterday. If they approve me help is only a week or so away. nevermind what in the fuck im supposed to do in the meantime. comics are getting blacklisted for going live and asking for donations. underground poker games are getting the cops called on them. Where in the actual fuck am i supposed to get my rent money? More salient..where am I going to get grocery money? People talking so cavalierly about them just running it "another month" are scaring the fuck out of me. christ this is depressing. pray to the unemployment gods that they approve and pay me. thats all i got
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry TT.

A local hospital called my wife’s health department today to see if they had access to extra body bags. They can’t keep up.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:10 pm Unemployment claim submitted yesterday. If they approve me help is only a week or so away. nevermind what in the fuck im supposed to do in the meantime. comics are getting blacklisted for going live and asking for donations. underground poker games are getting the cops called on them. Where in the actual fuck am i supposed to get my rent money? More salient..where am I going to get grocery money? People talking so cavalierly about them just running it "another month" are scaring the fuck out of me. christ this is depressing. pray to the unemployment gods that they approve and pay me. thats all i got
That sucks, TT. What kind of employer were you working for? If it's a small business, they can take out a SBA loan and if they use that money to pay employees, that part of the loan will be forgiven. Are you in a position to advise them of this, so they can help you folks out?

Also, if don't have enough money to pay your rent, don't pay your rent. Though it'd be good to keep your landlord apprised of your situation (especially the fact that you got your unemployment application in). There's no way you are the only one in this situation, and the landlord has nothing to gain by going to court to try to evict you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yikes.