The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by EdRomero »

Massachusetts is pretty much forcing all elementary schools to be open in person 5 days a week starting in April. My school is hybrid right now which means half the kids go into the building Mondays and Tuesdays, the other half on Thursdays and Fridays. I'm not sure how they'll keep social distancing going, and families can opt out which means full time at home, and if they decide to keep them home, they can't change their mind until the next school year. Meanwhile, my school system will start pool testing for Covid, but I'm not sure if if it's worth taking part in since I've been vaccinated already. I know I still have a small chance of getting it and an even smaller chance of spreading it to someone else. I might ask the school nurse about it, but I don't know how much she'll know. I also have to get ready to lead 3 Zoom sessions a day with 2nd graders I haven't met starting in a week and a half (and the presumably ending in April).

The good news is I'm an enjoying my job now even with this craziness.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:27 pm Massachusetts is pretty much forcing all elementary schools to be open in person 5 days a week starting in April. My school is hybrid right now which means half the kids go into the building Mondays and Tuesdays, the other half on Thursdays and Fridays. I'm not sure how they'll keep social distancing going, and families can opt out which means full time at home, and if they decide to keep them home, they can't change their mind until the next school year. Meanwhile, my school system will start pool testing for Covid, but I'm not sure if if it's worth taking part in since I've been vaccinated already. I know I still have a small chance of getting it and an even smaller chance of spreading it to someone else. I might ask the school nurse about it, but I don't know how much she'll know. I also have to get ready to lead 3 Zoom sessions a day with 2nd graders I haven't met starting in a week and a half (and the presumably ending in April).

The good news is I'm an enjoying my job now even with this craziness.
Glad to hear after all the shit you’ve been through!

Will those 5 days a week be half-days? We have a K-12 district (4800 students) going basically back to normal March 22 (with a remote option) and they purchased 5000 of the “plexiglass” dividers for the district. The wildcard is the lunchroom where they will have the dividers but of course they’ll be maskless while eating. It will be an interesting experiment.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm not sure. The details are coming next week. Right now 3-5 goes to 12:30, k-2 goes to 2, and children of teachers or children who need more help go to 3. Lunch has been in the classrooms, which is funny because my old school (in the same city) did that before Covid until the city said you can't do that anymore, forcing the school to change the art room into a caf and messing everything up.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 pm I'm not sure. The details are coming next week. Right now 3-5 goes to 12:30, k-2 goes to 2, and children of teachers or children who need more help go to 3. Lunch has been in the classrooms, which is funny because my old school (in the same city) did that before Covid until the city said you can't do that anymore, forcing the school to change the art room into a caf and messing everything up.
Ah, the details. They getcha every time.

Our school is a California campus built on a swamp/wetlands. (In NJ. I shit you not.) This makes the pest problem worse than a lot of your normal institutions. Every spring we get the email from the head of grounds reminding us to be vigilant when it comes to food in the classrooms because they can’t use the normal chemicals at the school. But we can see them turning around next year and assigning lunches to classrooms. The mice will be happy. So there’s that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Town is going back in person (hybrid choice) mid-March a couple of weeks from now for the first time since mid-March last year. The youngest (7th grade) wants to go so we’re going to let her. Monday and Tuesday, 8-12 in school. 3 “cohorts”, no more than 170 kids at a time in school.

According the principal the district is unofficially already planning for 2 weeks remote only after spring break.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Lexington sent k-2 back this week and already at least five cases reported since Monday which means all those classes have to quarantine. Five doesn’t seem like a lot until you extrapolate.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:01 pm Town is going back in person (hybrid choice) mid-March a couple of weeks from now for the first time since mid-March last year. The youngest (7th grade) wants to go so we’re going to let her. Monday and Tuesday, 8-12 in school. 3 “cohorts”, no more than 170 kids at a time in school.

According the principal the district is unofficially already planning for 2 weeks remote only after spring break.
Sounds reasonable if the facilities are effectively organized for distancing. And pragmatic in respect to travel over spring break. If the weather’s nice, fugghedaboutit. Our school started off our faculty meeting yesterday telling teachers if they left the region during spring break, they would have to quarantine for 14 days, NOT teach from home, and may not (they wavered a little here) be able to use sick days which results in a loss of a paycheck.

But that’s ok because in the same meeting they announced they will be ending hybrid and going full enrollment half-days upon return from spring break. Student self-reporting. Just a little mixed-messaging there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Think I finally got my mom signed up for her first COVID shot on Thursday.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am Think I finally got my mom signed up for her first COVID shot on Thursday.
My evangelical crackpot mom said she found out two vaccines that don't contain fetal tissue, so she's finally getting her vaccines. Yay.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

my 70+ parents just got their 2nd vaccinations this morning. It's such a freaking relief to me (and them) that it hasn't really even sunken in yet.

Dad celebrated on the way home by going to the most unhealthy donut shop in town :D
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Do the donuts contain fetal tissue?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am Think I finally got my mom signed up for her first COVID shot on Thursday.
Hell yes buddy
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

New Mexico ran out. So my 85 and 81 year old parents keep waiting.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 am Do the donuts contain fetal tissue?
Hope so. Much better taste.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

the dough is made from fetal feet, it's really got a nice tang to it.
EdRomero wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 am Do the donuts contain fetal tissue?
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The oldest kid turns 15 in two weeks. So this is his 2nd birthday in a pandemic. He told me he's not really excited for it and asked for a better chair for his desk when he's taking classes.

So to all those fuckers out there that won't wear a mask. This is the result. I hope you enjoyed exercising your freedoms. He'd love to just go to TopGolf or hit an arcade for the day, but for the 2nd year he's stuck at home, with his parents, and the thing he wants the most is a damn chair for school. It's probably good I don't leave the house much because I'm not sure I could hold myself back from going off on the maskless morons.

We are seriously considering just taking him to TopGolf for a few hours and trying to give him a normal celebration before he's too old to want to do anything with us. God damn this sucks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

ETA - That sucks so badly for your son.

Still no schedule here in Ontario or in the rest of Canada.

Our "leaders" have their heads so far up their asses - and now that they can't point to the COVID mess in the states, they seem to have nothing of value to say.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 pm The oldest kid turns 15 in two weeks. So this is his 2nd birthday in a pandemic. He told me he's not really excited for it and asked for a better chair for his desk when he's taking classes.

So to all those fuckers out there that won't wear a mask. This is the result. I hope you enjoyed exercising your freedoms. He'd love to just go to TopGolf or hit an arcade for the day, but for the 2nd year he's stuck at home, with his parents, and the thing he wants the most is a damn chair for school. It's probably good I don't leave the house much because I'm not sure I could hold myself back from going off on the maskless morons.

We are seriously considering just taking him to TopGolf for a few hours and trying to give him a normal celebration before he's too old to want to do anything with us. God damn this sucks.
This is all too familiar
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 pm The oldest kid turns 15 in two weeks. So this is his 2nd birthday in a pandemic. He told me he's not really excited for it and asked for a better chair for his desk when he's taking classes.

Take him to TopGolf. Seriously. I know that'll draw some crap here but use best practices, you'll be in the open air. You've been good soldiers. Give the kid his day.

If anyone has kids like this stuck inside and getting a gift in the mail or something would make their day, get at me. Breaks me up knowing kids are suffering through this. I'll help any way I can.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Parents got vaccinated today (Pfizer). Next dose is 3/26.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm Take him to TopGolf. Seriously. I know that'll draw some crap here but use best practices, you'll be in the open air. You've been good soldiers. Give the kid his day.

If anyone has kids like this stuck inside and getting a gift in the mail or something would make their day, get at me. Breaks me up knowing kids are suffering through this. I'll help any way I can.
You guys are cool and all, but at this point I'm not really caring much if anyone has a problem with it. I'm comfortable where we are at. I'm just angry and tired of still doing it when so many are not and their decisions mean I need to do it longer.

I left the part out about our own bubble considerations. My in-laws are local, but we have kept them at a distance because we chose to send the kids to school and have them do soccer. They needed something. Doing something for his birthday just escalates our need to bubble harder afterwards. We didn't talk to him about it, but he's old enough to figure it out. We don't want him to have to make a decision between seeing his grandparents and doing something fun, but that's where we are at. After their 2nd shot we are planning on bringing them into the bubble again.

The offer of sending something is awesome, but he doesn't need stuff. He needs people and experiences.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm

Take him to TopGolf. Seriously. I know that'll draw some crap here but use best practices, you'll be in the open air. You've been good soldiers. Give the kid his day.

FWIW, I went to Top Golf about a month ago for my birthday (thanks, Mulligan!) and had a great time. Had no issues with social distancing while I was there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm

FWIW, I went to Top Golf about a month ago for my birthday (thanks, Mulligan!) and had a great time. Had no issues with social distancing while I was there.
Generally people steer well clear of you no matter what, though.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 pm
Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Generally people steer well clear of you no matter what, though.
Understandably so. Probably why you declined my invitation, but I had bourbon, too!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, did Covid end and I didn't hear about it?

I know we are all exhausted by all the restriction on our fun time, but it seems like we as a society have decided "we are tired of this, so we are just declaring it over, now!"
Indianapolis will take a big step in easing local COVID-19 restrictions on Monday, according to the Indianapolis Star — just in time for the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments.

Bars can start operating at 50% capacity, instead of just 25%, and restaurants can increase indoor capacity to 75% from 50% capacity on Monday. Bars and restaurants can start staying open until 2 a.m. again, instead of being forced to close at midnight.
Yes, yes, the article includes quotes from the mayor saying this is being done because of the decrease in cases, yada yada yada... bullshit.
link
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It’s all reminding me of various stories I’ve read about soldiers dying in the last few days or hours of a war.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This is as good a place as any and I just need to unload some stuff, mostly for my own sanity of knowing the things that might be causing it. I think for the first time in my life I have an actual struggle with anxiety. The past couple of months (and the last 4 weeks specifically) have been very hard. I have days where i can't eat because it's just a pit in my stomach and nothing I can really place a true answer on. Like, I' now when I'm hungover or have a stomach bug but this isn't it. Just a constant in my stomach being THERE. Here are a few of the things I've had on my plate that took me well out of my comfort zone:

- Getting the youngest through high school. It was one math class that was the problem but it was a big issue. Luckily we got that done.
- Boss leaves for a new job, throwing all our team into turmoil. Moreso that most of the others, I relied on direct guidance from my supervisor on my projects. I've never really had my own "region" the way others have and it's kind of biting me right now.
- Boston for all the graduations. The travel went fine overall but the moving back and getting all the stuff form their apartment caused a fair amount of problems.
- Also still having classwork to do in my last semester of MBA.
- Moving my in-laws stuff from the condo they sold to various spots. Just too old for that shit. And on top of that they kept talking about having the money to put their pool in and get a golf cart in Florida. SO pay for some help!
- Fucking COVID and all the two weeks that fucked things up.
- Oldest comes back to be here for a couple of weeks and it just always messes things up. Then on top of that, we have to figure out what goes to DC and what stays and how to get it there (luckily they do get a relocation stipend that will cover the cost so there's not much of that to worry about.) so we head to DC Friday.
- Yesterday thought I was just hungover from early father's day but it's persisted into today and I was flat miserable. But again, this doesn't feel like any hangover I've ever had. So that put me further behind with some deadlines today, but at least I've been able to sit up.
- I also don't think I want to keep working here. The things they have mentioend for me puts me back 20 years in terms of doing the same thigns again that I did back then, for the3 same guy. I've mentioned in here before about "hitting a ceiling" and it's true that I've not been able to get into a supervisor role after 26 years. And then they say we may just put you back with "Manager xx" who I didn't really even get along that great with. I', just 45 so if I nee to move somewhere for another 20 years I think I can find something for that. I dunno, it's been so long sin'ce I've actively looked.

Anyway, I've just got a lot going on in my head, so let this post just be a journal entry.

TL:DR - AB is having a bad few weeks and probably being a bit of a baby about it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ome more thing...anyone want to make an educated guess about what helps it and what doesn't from a vice/self-medication standpoint? Cause it ain't what I wish it was and my liver can't take this shit anymore.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just to zoom in on one specific point ... I don't quite feel the same post-Covid. Its not anxiety, I don't think, but I do feel a lot more run down and it probably manifests in similar ways. Like yesterday I fell asleep at like 4:45 until almost 6:00 just because no one else was in the house and I'd cleared out my work. That's something I never would have done before this April, despite always saying I was tired or would love to take a nap. There may be no correlation except the one I've made in my head, but I just don't feel as sharp and I think if other stuff were piled on top it could lead to similar feelings.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You just got an MBA right? Sounds like good timing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm You just got an MBA right? Sounds like good timing.
In my last semester, eight more weeks.

Have a vacation scheduled to an all inclusive with some good friends (NOT THAT GOOD!) in october that I am very much looking forward to.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:45 pm Just to zoom in on one specific point ... I don't quite feel the same post-Covid. Its not anxiety, I don't think, but I do feel a lot more run down and it probably manifests in similar ways. Like yesterday I fell asleep at like 4:45 until almost 6:00 just because no one else was in the house and I'd cleared out my work. That's something I never would have done before this April, despite always saying I was tired or would love to take a nap. There may be no correlation except the one I've made in my head, but I just don't feel as sharp and I think if other stuff were piled on top it could lead to similar feelings.
WEll I certainly haven't felt right since I got it, so sure there could be lingering effects I suppose. That said some of this did start well before that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wish I could give advice on how to help it, but it would seem pretty natural to feel anxiety with all you have going on. I wouldn't be surprised if the ongoing deliberate attack on certain segments of our society that is playing a part in it as well. Sorry you're going through all that, buddy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm TL:DR - AB is having a bad few weeks and probably being a bit of a baby about it.
Mocking yourself (even being self-effacing) is unnecessary and unhelpful.

That's not one small change in your life. It's a list of major things affecting your home life, your professional life, your child's future, and your health, all of which happened in a fairly short time span.

My only suggestion would be to just take some time each day to take care of yourself. Doesn't need to be anything major, just 15-30 minutes by yourself, maybe a walk around the neighborhood or sitting outside. Just try to relax/take your mind off things or maybe focus on how you want to work on one of those things (maybe the upcoming move to DC first, making a plan to get your remaining classwork done, or whatever in logical order).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, sorry about that AB and Mr. D. Anxiety is a bitch. For me, it helps to cool out and zone out a bit, when you don’t have responsibilities staring you in the face. Long walks with the dog and that sort of thing. Try to see the big picture that overall, life is still pretty damned good…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Thanks, guys.

Dsafe, I have to make fun or I will cry.

SC, can I borrow your dog?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:28 pm

I have to make fun or I will cry.

That's my approach, just don't beat yourself up. Like others said, that is a lot of major life events hitting at the same time. Exercise makes a huge difference for me. A really hard workout (lifting weights especially) clears my head and drains me of the energy that would have been anxiety. Tennis has been fantastic for me. It's a great workout, plus you really need to focus so it forces me to be present (I tend to dissociate with stress/anxiety) and clears my head of whatever is causing stress. I think a dog would be a huge help, but I've given up that fight.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:28 pm Thanks, guys.

Dsafe, I have to make fun or I will cry.

SC, can I borrow your dog?
My prescription? Newark Rodizio and a visit from Peluche the wondermutt. (Sorry, man. The stress of life piles on sometimes but someone once said happiness is having something to look forward to and that vacation, as far away as it is, might just be the thing. And Rass’s couch.)
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I never really had any issues with anxiety until about a year and half ago...I figured out it was all job related so changing jobs is what helped me which it sounds like you are open to doing. However, my wife also suffers from anxiety but much more generalized than me...she said acupuncture has done wonders for her in that area.

So I guess I'm saying if you are looking for an attempted fix acupuncture might be something worth trying.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

To me, being self-deprecating is sometimes helpful because it reminds me that a lot of the shit I get anxious about is stuff I shouldn't get anxious about.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto