The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 am My froggy swim trunks just got delivered. If someone wants to grab them off my front porch and bring them down here I’ll make you a dark and stormy.
Can I wear them on the way down?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Not sure which thread we are posting back to school shit. After weeks of my son feeling tormented in deciding whether he wants to go to school or opt for remote, he finally chose doing the back to school plan, which is 4 out of 10 days remote, with half the school alternating who stays home each week. Just got a letter this morning, the high school, and only the high school is now all remote. 17 of the 21 teachers in the district who made FFCRA or health related requests to stay home are HS teachers, and they aren't able to find coverage, so all HS is remote. I imagine it's only a matter of time before the rest of the district follows suit. Apparently, teachers were given no training on remote teaching, as the district planned on going in-school. The letter said a majority of the requests were from teachers who have kids in other districts that are full remote, and they need to stay home with their kids. Which means they are teaching while helping their own kids, so what could go wrong their?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Did you not go remote end of last year? I’ve zoomed so much since March I think I could teach a class at this point.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:42 pm Did you not go remote end of last year? I’ve zoomed so much since March I think I could teach a class at this point.
A little different wrangling and “teaching” elementary or middle schoolers over zoom than business folk.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:33 am
A_B wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:42 pm Did you not go remote end of last year? I’ve zoomed so much since March I think I could teach a class at this point.
A little different wrangling and “teaching” elementary or middle schoolers over zoom than business folk.
I know but our district has been planning for the possibility all summer so I just assumed others were as well.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

How does anyone think this is going to work?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:05 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:33 am
I know but our district has been planning for the possibility all summer so I just assumed others were as well.
We were the first district to close the schools, because one of the first cases in NJ was a parent in my town with kids in two schools in the district. Online learning worked fairly well for my 5th grader, and great for my 8th grader. Most parents were happy with the program, except for younger kids. It just didn't work for second grade and younger. I think first grade and K basically sent out stacks of worksheets for parents to do with the kids.

My town has only had 7 cases since June or so, 6 were in their early 20's and got it while traveling, presumably 2 different groups that were together. All 7 cases were declared "resolved" within a week of reporting. Because of this, our school planned to go with the lease restrictive of the multiple plans. Then 2 weeks ago, they ditched that and went with the "hybrid" plan. They were so focused on those plans, that they didn't (according to people who claim to be in the know) focus on having teacher make remote lesson plans.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My wife elected to be one of the virtual teachers for the district. They are essentially a new school. But the problem is the corporation had not planned for virtual learning. The new superintendent wanted to go with Canvas as that was the program his previous corporation had used. The problem was they didn't give the virtual teachers any training on it, and the topper, the previous CIO had only gone with a trial license so the corporation couldn't even use the program.

The principal of the virtual school is also an associate superintendent in charge of elementary curriculum. He never was very good at responding to teachers about curriculum and he is even worse at it now that he is considered the principal. He has no-showed Google Meetups with his teachers because he had to handle virus contractions at the intermediate school and one of the elementary schools.

The planning for this has been an utter shit show. My wife had almost 40 students in her virtual classroom. She can only see 16 at a time in their Google Classroom meetings. My daughters (freshman and 7th grader) are supposed to be having virtual classes during the day with their respective teachers while those teachers are teaching the in-class students. The infrastructure failed them. They didn't have the network set up to handle that much streaming and connections. My thought is the hardware at the schools is what is causing the bottleneck. Terrible audio, choppy video. No plan in place on fixing the issue. Now my daughters are not getting the instruction that they were promised. And all students are home three days a week in the hybrid plan. So it is hurting those students also.

Add into the fact the schools are not provided the required support for students with IEPs. One of the elementary schools had only 6 second grade students spread between five classes one day. Plus two paraprofessionals assigned to that grade level. So 7 adults for six students. While my wife and the other virtual teachers are having to deal with 35-40 students in a virtual setting. Parents yelling in the background, babies crying, dogs barking, you name it, and it has happened.

Sorry for the rambling rant. Just very frustrated and to top it off I am back in the office. Ugh.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You kinda wonder if more harm is being done with all this than there would be just throwing a pause on everything. Of course, that would take national leadership and centralized decision making versus the current every-district-for-themselves approach, but I wonder if everyone would come out better. No one can fall behind (academically) if no one is able to fall behind.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

What Duff said about what his wife is going through is what pretty much all of Massachusetts is going through. Just a few weeks ago we had the governor saying he saw no reason why schools can't be open full time. Now most schools are planning (poorly) hybrids and switching at the last minute to virtual. Everyone is dependent on superintendents, school boards and other leaders, and there are so many ill-equipped to handle this. And the talented ones are still limited by pressure from parents, bad central leadership, budget issues, and liability concerns. The Crazy Right's dream of destroying public education may be coming true very soon.

For the town I work in, the superintendent told parents they would offer free childcare to make up for the early dismissal times. After he went to our programs to see if we wanted to help, we said we would need a safe space for students, funding, and other resources to make sure we comply with our regulations. He was offended we asked for such things. To make things even more complicated (and impossible for working parents who can't afford nannies), right now we are not allowed to provide service during regular school hours (even if everything is virtual) After School Programs Want To Host Students During Remote Learning Days, But They Can't
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BU not playing around with gatherings:

" I will, immediately, take the following administrative actions and follow up via the disciplinary process outlined in the Boston University Code of Student Responsibilities:

If you host a large (more than 25 people) gathering, social or party off campus or on-campus, you will be suspended through the fall semester, and will not be able to attend classes in-person or remotely.

If you attend a large (more than 25 people) gathering, social or party off campus or on campus, you will be suspended through the fall semester, and will not be able to attend classes in-person or remotely.

If your student organization, club sport, or team hosts a large (more than 25 people) gathering, social, party or event, the organization will be suspended and University recognition withdrawn, at minimum, throughout the fall semester.

If you live in on-campus, student residences and violate these guidelines, you will have to move out of your room, suite or apartment, immediately and will not be permitted to live on campus for the remainder of the academic year.

If you are suspended for the semester, you will not receive a tuition or, if applicable, room and board refund."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:37 am BU not playing around with gatherings:
Drew Magery has a new column about this...

Dean McFrownypants Is Sorely Disappointed in College Students for Being at College
This is a crisis of the American university system’s own making, and yet they’ll never confess to it. Instead, they’ll pretend it’s the students who are irresponsible.
I dropped my daughter off at Gonzaga this weekend. Luckily, she was able to scramble and find a decent off-campus apartment, since 3 of her classes are 'hybrid' and living in a classic dorm with 50 other girls didn't seem like a good option. I'm hoping that she'll be ok, since its a small school...and she's been really good about the social distancing/mask wearing, and she's 3 miles from campus (so not in the student ghetto), but still...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can Covid not be transmitted among 24 people at a party?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am Can Covid not be transmitted among 24 people at a party?
Well, it's Massachusetts state gathering rules that caps at 25, so that's the reasoning for the number.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its the same here, just strikes me as really dumb. You can have a party of 24 people from 24 families and you can have a party of 30 people from 5 families.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's almost like you can't craft a single rule to fit every possibility!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'm making my wife ask her friend a lot of questions about our daughter possibly sleeping over at their house because the father in that family teaches at Syracuse. They were over a couple weeks ago for outdoor movie night and the dad was not excited at all about the student body coming back to campus.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I just spent the better part of three days busting my ass helping my daughter move out of her rental house, and associated cleaning, etc. It was a 7-bedroom place, so there were plenty of kids around doing the same thing. Most people around here are good about masks, but it's certainly not universal. I hope my family gets out of this week without contracting Covid, but I won't be too shocked if we don't.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Went in a skyscraper for the first time in months. Freakishly empty. Went to the bar and got wangz outside. Waitress declined a mask which was off putting but I drank anyway. Back at another empty outdoor patio right now. $9 bento box! Think I'm back in the saddle. School and soccer put me over the top. I've learned rain is your covid buddy and taken to byob in the midtown hotel and office outdoor spaces after showers roll through.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All-hands work meeting today to go over the Q3 numbers and we've had a much larger number of cancellations because of COVID which is impacting our revenue (it's not as bad as it sounds and was largely anticipated), but I brought the house down by suggesting we take a page out of the federal government's COVID playbook by saying that if we don't track cancellations we won't have any. (The VP of Sales is a big Trumper...not sure if he laughed or not though).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The county in which my dad and a fair number of my extended family live in Ohio now has the highest rate of new COVID cases for the state. His town, earned special mention as one of the hotspots. Doing great.

(And my mom, who lives elsewhere, is hospitalized in Cleveland due to surgery to treat an infection inside the bones of her spine. Doing real great!)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 am The county in which my dad and a fair number of my extended family live in Ohio now has the highest rate of new COVID cases for the state. His town, earned special mention as one of the hotspots. Doing great.

(And my mom, who lives elsewhere, is hospitalized in Cleveland due to surgery to treat an infection inside the bones of her spine. Doing real great!)
Which county is that?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 am The county in which my dad and a fair number of my extended family live in Ohio now has the highest rate of new COVID cases for the state. His town, earned special mention as one of the hotspots. Doing great.

Which county is that?
Putnam County, the county north of Lima and west of Findlay. Total population is under 35K.

Can't really experience the schadenfreude I would normally associate with a county that voted 80% for Trump in 2016 (second highest in the state) earning this new badge of honor.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am

Which county is that?
Putnam County, the county north of Lima and west of Findlay. Total population is under 35K.

Can't really experience the schadenfreude I would normally associate with a county that voted 80% for Trump in 2016 (second highest in the state) earning this new badge of honor.
Huh. They earned this I guess. Also, that's the other side of the state from Wooster - so hopefully they keep it to themselves.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am

Which county is that?

Huh. They earned this I guess. Also, that's the other side of the state from Wooster - so hopefully they keep it to themselves.
They will. They're up to 343 total cases with over 38% of them coming in the last three weeks. It's all small towns/rural with not a whole lot of people coming into/going out of the area.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

CU just did something similar, but of course this was after the first weekend when there were big back to school bashes up on the Hill. I guess they think White Claw makes them immune.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:00 pm
CU just did something similar, but of course this was after the first weekend when there were big back to school bashes up on the Hill. I guess they think White Claw makes them immune.
with whatever it is that causes it to taste the way it does, it should.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ain't no law when you're drinkin' the Claw.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

First day of HS today.. in 17 minutes.
All remote the first month.
seems most of town has had a shitshow experience with chromebooks not set up properly, teachers not sending out zoom invites, logins not working, etc. glad they aren't in school today.. that hybrid plan was a load of crap... all the planning by the BOE.. and turns out the teachers weren't even in on it as they were by contract, not working until yesterday.

now 14 minutes. must've erased a lot for such few words. Good luck to all!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:14 am First day of HS today.. in 17 minutes.
seems most of town has had a shitshow experience with chromebooks not set up properly, teachers not sending out zoom invites, logins not working, etc. glad they aren't in school today.. that hybrid plan was a load of crap... all the planning by the BOE.. and turns out the teachers weren't even in on it as they were by contract, not working until yesterday.

This sounds extremely familiar, except middle school is doing hybrid. High school is hybrid for this week only. First half of the alphabet goes in today to meet teachers and get books, etc while the rest of the class sits in on Zoom. Tomorrow it switches, then all remote for an undetermined time. Middle school is the same this week, then alphabetical "cohorts" alternate weeks. It's stressful enough as my kids are both starting HS and MS, but some of their teachers still haven't sent the Zoom invites! On a positive note, the Middle School principal is amazing. He is an older guy, maybe late 60s. He started a daily Youtube show out of his garage workshop and put up an iPad to have guests on the show. Teachers at first, then he invited students, and shockingly a few actually appeared as guests. That two separate daily newsletters, one for students and one for parents. Since they couldn't do the annual summer locker day and orientation for incoming 6th graders, he made a video tour of the school and gave them all the info and really tried hard to make it funny. He took Dad jokes to a new low, so we called them Grandpa jokes. Tuesday he put out a video answering all questions parents and kids might have, and asked for kids and parents to email additional questions. He responded the next morning with a 65 question Q&A email responding to all the questions. For graduation last year, he and his wife drove to every kids house to personally deliver the graduation gown and diploma, then they did a Youtube live ceremony filmed at the school with a few student speakers. I can't imagine the amount of extra time this guy has put in, it's truly remarkable. The last night my daughter's 5th grade teacher sent a beautiful note that legit had the tears starting up. I'm done with this man.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:14 am First day of HS today.. in 17 minutes.

who put the bolded part out there? the admin and board of ed?

i can't speak to your district, but mine and my wife's district had numerous reopening committees that met throughout the summer to try to come up with reopening plans. i know of other districts who did as well. if your district created those committees, and teachers declined to serve on them, then that is fucking stupid on the teacher's part. our union encouraged our participation for the opportunity to shape what would be going on in the classroom which is what we are responsible for on a daily basis. i think most teachers would want to have a say in that.

which makes me wonder if your district established reopening committees and invited staff to give input, or if your district took a unilateral approach and put out word that teachers didn't participate because "they were by contract, not working until yesterday"? maybe i'm a touch sensitive at the moment as teachers went from heroes in April and May, to villainous thugs in August (in my district especially. glad i don't have facebook), much of it due to bds. of ed. placing the blame for going remote on our shoulders rather than the aging infrastructure, the lack of ppe, and you know, the failure to adequately contain COVID.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

don't know.
we attended several BOE (yes they did appear to have a committee that included teachers parents and kids) zoom meetings. they took questions and feedback. Their plan appears to not have incorporate much of it.
my comment is based on various threads/posts on social media this week, as well as our own experience where nothing was received until yesterday -- and multiple folks, including some teachers noted they only had a day to prepare. i've nothing against teachers in general and my comment isn't meant to attack them. its a shitty situation but there's no excuse for poor planning and execution...
the district had planned a hybrid approach, one week in, one week out -- they punted on that once Murphy changed his mind. the email last week explaining mainly focused on the lack of A/C in the school buildings... but did mention the lack of time/budget to prepare the teachers/systems.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 am don't know.
we attended several BOE (yes they did appear to have a committee that included teachers parents and kids) zoom meetings. they took questions and feedback. Their plan appears to not have incorporate much of it.
my comment is based on various threads/posts on social media this week, as well as our own experience where nothing was received until yesterday -- and multiple folks, including some teachers noted they only had a day to prepare. i've nothing against teachers in general and my comment isn't meant to attack them. its a shitty situation but there's no excuse for poor planning and execution...
the district had planned a hybrid approach, one week in, one week out -- they punted on that once Murphy changed his mind. the email last week explaining mainly focused on the lack of A/C in the school buildings... but did mention the lack of time/budget to prepare the teachers/systems.
On Tuesday, we reported to school at 8:15 ready to do hybrid. At 8:17, it was announced we were going remote. It’s going to be a bumpy start to the year.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Fill out your bracket...

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:37 pm Fill out your bracket...

Butler is a #1!!!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I had the worst panic attack of my life yesterday. it lasted. 7 hours. i woke up today feeling like I've been through a war
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 am I had the worst panic attack of my life yesterday. it lasted. 7 hours. i woke up today feeling like I've been through a war
Jesus, that is horrible. I've been getting some serious anxiety lately, not sure if anything qualifies as a panic attack, but pretty close. Can't imagine 7 hours... Is anxiety medication an option for you, or too similar to pain meds? I've heard CDB can work miracles for anxiety, not sure how accessible that is in Texas. NJ is still very restricted in legalized weed, but products claiming to contain CDB are over the counter and available for delivery on Amazon.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:49 am
TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 am I had the worst panic attack of my life yesterday. it lasted. 7 hours. i woke up today feeling like I've been through a war
Jesus, that is horrible. I've been getting some serious anxiety lately, not sure if anything qualifies as a panic attack, but pretty close. Can't imagine 7 hours... Is anxiety medication an option for you, or too similar to pain meds? I've heard CDB can work miracles for anxiety, not sure how accessible that is in Texas. NJ is still very restricted in legalized weed, but products claiming to contain CDB are over the counter and available for delivery on Amazon.
I can't be trusted with anything prescription strength. it's why I smoke, circumstances just put me on the other side of town from my weed and I had to go to work and then I just kind of went into a spiral. i really thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 am
I can't be trusted with anything prescription strength. it's why I smoke, circumstances just put me on the other side of town from my weed and I had to go to work and then I just kind of went into a spiral. i really thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Good lord, that sounds rough. How are you doing anxiety-wise today?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

TT2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 am
Dude I know we haven't had a chance to meet up yet, but if you're still working on my side of town and find yourself in that situation again, I will help.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto