The last dance

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The last dance

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Howard retweeted that about 15-20 minutes after I did (I didn't quote tweet it).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’ll put this post here since this is basically a 90s basketball thread:

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jack McCallum has Jordan admitting on tape that he would not play on the Dream Team if Isiah was on the team. It's in episode three of his new podcast, "The Dream Team Tapes", about 10:30 in (there's some explanation, then Jordan's voice saying it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

There’s also this:

What Smith refers to as a “blatant lie” at the end of the embedded clip is Jordan’s suggestion he was open to returning for the 1999-00 season if Krause kept the team together. That one seems to be an obvious embellishment by Jordan. You’re telling me that Reinsdorf wouldn’t have fired Krause in a second if Krause was the real obstacle to continuing the Jordan years?

The Isiah thing is also something that everyone knows happened. However, it’s not at all clear Isiah belonged on the 1992 team on merit unless you were rewarding past performance, as was done with Magic and Bird. Isiah didn’t get a single top-10 vote for MVP that year and based on share of that vote, Mark Price and Tim Hardaway were the best non-Dream Team guards that season.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Joe K wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:43 am
The Isiah thing is also something that everyone knows happened. However, it’s not at all clear Isiah belonged on the 1992 team on merit unless you were rewarding past performance, as was done with Magic and Bird. Isiah didn’t get a single top-10 vote for MVP that year and based on share of that vote, Mark Price and Tim Hardaway were the best non-Dream Team guards that season.
Jordan should just own it but the way he went about it, you can see it was him or me thing. So semantically, he didn’t keep Thomas from the team. But the ultimatum, made that a no-brainer. Just come out and say it.

And this is a very valid point about past performance vs best suited for a spot. Bird and Magic already cornered the market on “we owe these guys this shot”. And Thomas isn’t in the same league as those two. Never was.
oh shit...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was able to scrounge enough WiFi together to watch. It was entertaining, but the "getting the last word" thing every time was very annoying.

And basically, if you have to construct a lie about LaBradford Smith to motivate yourself, live it through, and then be like "Ha! I made it up!", you're a neurotic sociopath.

Everything he had to do in his life was vendetta driven. It's sad. All that money and he can't buy decency.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Oral History (And some video) of MJ pickup games at the gym with random donks after his first retirement.
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/0 ... al-history

Reminds me of my very short basketball game during the 1999 NBA lockout at the Pro Club in Redmond, WA.