NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 pm That would be hilarious if schools put up statues of random old-school celebrities.

“Why does Texas A&M have a statue of Bob Hope?”

<shrugs>
CU has the Glen Miller Ballroom and he only attended, didn't graduate.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:07 pm
brian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 pm That would be hilarious if schools put up statues of random old-school celebrities.

“Why does Texas A&M have a statue of Bob Hope?”

<shrugs>
CU has the Glen Miller Ballroom and he only attended, didn't graduate.
Yeah, I don't think that's a big deal. Not everyone associated with a university finished their degrees, especially in those days. Guys had to leave for war, the military or whatever.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Oh, they make a big deal of him, I suppose more because his archives are here rather than because of the 3 semesters he spent in '26-'27.

I would have gone Larry Linville, Byron White, Rick Reilly, Jim Gray, or Chris Fowler. Staying away from the South Park guys.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Turgeon extends through 2026.
Morsell opts for the draft but will keep eligibility, but also enters the transfer portal. Apparently he wants to play point. Still could return to college park, but the rumor mill says that won't be the case.
Terps also get Fatts Russell from U of RI and Former G-town Hoya big man Qudus Wahab. Have to be better than Chol Marial who is leaving Maryland after 2 very poor years.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was fine with the transfer portal at first but man it sure seems nuts. Probably that free year of scholarship magnifying the impact this year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Are both Miller brothers going to be moving back in with their parents now they've both been axed?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m super curious about Fatts at a major. He has A-10 volume scorer written all over him but maybe that’s because of what he’s being asked or trying to do there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 pm I’m super curious about Fatts at a major. He has A-10 volume scorer written all over him but maybe that’s because of what he’s being asked or trying to do there.
My concern with the 2000 point scored transferring to UK. Davidson or Richmond I can’t recall at the moment.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Grady is legit. His risk might be that there are more guys like him at the major level and he’s more of a 4th option or 3rd guard on a legit tourney team.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:22 pm Grady is legit. His risk might be that there are more guys like him at the major level and he’s more of a 4th option or 3rd guard on a legit tourney team.
I think that’s worth it then. But who knows with UK anymore.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 pm I was fine with the transfer portal at first but man it sure seems nuts. Probably that free year of scholarship magnifying the impact this year.
A fair amount seems to be freshmen jumping after one season because they didn't get "enough" playing time (quotes used because it's a sliding scale). The lack of a required redshirt year has a lot of players looking for a better option, as well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 pmI think that’s worth it then. But who knows with UK anymore.
His whole story is kind of interesting; he was a major recruit but went to Davidson because he wanted to follow in Curry's footsteps. Pretty sure he wasn't supposed to be a 4(+) year player but here we are. A-10 tends to have a lot of super athlete types or skilled meh athletes and he seemed to fit a much more complete profile than we usually have.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gonzaga lands the #1 recruit...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They say that kid is going to be the #1 overall pick in two years. WTF he looks like skinny shawn bradley. Does he shoot 50% from three or seomthing?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I think he does actually. Perennial MVP in 2K21 dynasties, so I’m a believer. Also I like how his jersey is sarcastic
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:28 pm I think he does actually. Perennial MVP in 2K21 dynasties, so I’m a believer. Also I like how his jersey is sarcastic
I looked at one of the stories. Shot 80% this year from the floor. I assumed all dunks and shit over 6'3" "centers" but it says he can shoot the three. OK. Be interesting to see how much weight he adds, cause I have to think that's needed.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Might be jason williams. I'll watch first. But I'd believe it better if his surname were Washington.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:26 pm They say that kid is going to be the #1 overall pick in two years. WTF he looks like skinny shawn bradley. Does he shoot 50% from three or seomthing?
They will definitely need to start loading him up with pasta and tater tots.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yo they're building a basketball arena for professional high school players in Atlantic Station. Hate the concept but love that it's here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... 00000.html

Even if it works out for 5 known quantities (yeah right) how does make sense for the other 20 or so they'll need to form teams. Just a huge believer in the college experience. Probably the last time some of those guys will ever get treated remotely normal.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Coach K Out!

The Coach K 'Retirement Tour' is gonna be insufferable.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:18 pm Coach K Out!

The Coach K 'Retirement Tour' is gonna be insufferable.
Not Wojo? Surprising
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:46 pm
I wanted to hear Jay Bilas' take on this (as if he'd respond to me), but he's more likely to block me for asking so I deleted my tweet cause he's one of my favorite follows.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

From the Athletic's article:
Krzyzewski indicated during a Zoom call with friends last month that he is disheartened by the transfer craze that has overtaken the sport. He said he saw it as detrimental to the players, who are not being forced to push through adversity, as well to the coaching profession, which has been strained by the impression that coaches are tampering with other rosters.
Yes, how dare the unpaid labor pursue a better opportunity.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

what. the. fuck.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:36 pm From the Athletic's article:
Krzyzewski indicated during a Zoom call with friends last month that he is disheartened by the transfer craze that has overtaken the sport. He said he saw it as detrimental to the players, who are not being forced to push through adversity, as well to the coaching profession, which has been strained by the impression that coaches are tampering with other rosters.
Look, I don't love Coach K, but I bet nearly 100% of college coaches feel the same way. Doesn't make them right, but Krzyzewski isn't an outlier here.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:58 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:36 pm From the Athletic's article:
Look, I don't love Coach K, but I bet nearly 100% of college coaches feel the same way. Doesn't make them right, but Krzyzewski isn't an outlier here.

Yeah, the Burneko Defector piece was way better at getting to the core of why Coach K sucks so bad.
He is also, inarguably, the greatest self-promoter in the college game’s history, a thin-skinned and vicious bully, a sanctimonious scold, and petty sore loser who has (mostly) successfully portrayed himself as a humble and principled educator and molder of honorable men over the nearly half a century during which he reaped fortune and acclaim beyond measure off the work of unpaid laborers. Which of these two represents the greater accomplishment is at least up for debate; most of the hosannas he’ll receive between now and his career’s official end next spring—not accidentally, he gave everyone a full season to sing him out—and also likely after he finally leaves the stage, will treat his real and unparalleled coaching accomplishments as the product, and therefore the vindication, of a set of admirable personal qualities performed for cameras, reporters, and hagiographers by a canny cynic who possessed none of those qualities. That takes some doing!

Anyway, as a fond remembrance, here’s video of the time Coach K went out of his way to make sure the amateur who’d just led his underdog squad to an upset victory over Duke in the NCAA tournament wouldn’t walk away without feeling at least a little bit bad about it:
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Whoops...