NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Also, Izzo is a dick.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by L-Jam3 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Patrick Ewing just engineered a small measure of revenge, 36 years hence.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Good thing Mike Krzyzewski seized the high ground by shutting his team down for the season. Cuz you know, they definitely would've been walking away from an NCAA tournament selection and not an NIT one.

He's a good guy.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:38 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:43 pm
Good thing Mike Krzyzewski seized the high ground by shutting his team down for the season. Cuz you know, they definitely would've been walking away from an NCAA tournament selection and not an NIT one.

He's a good guy.
Yeah, that simply saved him the indignity of not hearing "Duke" on Sunday.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Outside of people in NC, as a MI fan, Duke is one of my least favorite teams, and I'm not a big fan of rat face.

But I just don't see a scenario where they purposely tank a season. What's the point of that? What does that tell future recruits?

I dunno, not gonna die on this hill, but I don't think there's anything fishy going on here.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:00 pm

I don't think they had a choice after the positive test, regardless of the fact that it was reportedly a walk-on and however contact tracing with the bracelets would have turned out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 pm
Outside of people in NC, as a MI fan, Duke is one of my least favorite teams, and I'm not a big fan of rat face.

But I just don't see a scenario where they purposely tank a season. What's the point of that? What does that tell future recruits?

I dunno, not gonna die on this hill, but I don't think there's anything fishy going on here.
They were out of the ACC tournament. It'd take an act of dog to get them into the NCAA, and this was his not-so-obvious way of declining an invitation to the NIT.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:00 pm

UConn up 23, 45-22 at the half, but damn man. They had 5 minutes late in the half where they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Had they not had that run, this'd be a 35 point halftime lead.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:04 am

Virginia out of ACC tournament with positive.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:22 am

Wow that's like a whole 30 offensive possessions.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Terps - Michigan game is fun. Terps playing good D in the first but Michigan adjustments to start the 2nd are bringing the better team ahead.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by L-Jam3 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:54 pm

I'm still not used to Maryland in the B1G.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Shit, I'm still not over Penn State and Nebraska.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49 pm
Terps - Michigan game is fun. Terps playing good D in the first but Michigan adjustments to start the 2nd are bringing the better team ahead.
If Michigan State is in the field with its pathetic NET rating, then MD should definitely be in despite the 16-13 record, so looks like the Big Ten is going to get nine teams in the field.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 6464
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:22 am
Wow that's like a whole 30 offensive possessions.
There's a slim chance they take Syracuse (yesterday's opponent) out with them, so it could be a big win for you.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

psunate77
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by psunate77 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Virginia and Kansas withdrew from their conference tournaments and their NCAA appearance is up in the air. They only need 5 players to be negative to play, but still with Duke opting out will Virginia?

I don't get why the NCAA didn't modify to a 16-32 team tournament this year. NIT did.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Apparently MI and MD have decided to have beef. The first game, Dickinson spent a considerable amount of time jawing with the Terps bench*. Second go 'round seemed a bit more chill, but then today... Not sure who said what to who, but Juwan got tossed and had to be held back from going after Turgeon.

Spicy.

* The backstory here is that Dickinson is a local kid, literally went to school down the road from College Park. I guess he felt disrespected in the recruiting process?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:57 pm
Apparently MI and MD have decided to have beef. The first game, Dickinson spent a considerable amount of time jawing with the Terps bench. Second go 'round seemed a bit more chill, but then today... Not sure who said what to who, but Juwan got tossed and had to be held back from going after Turgeon.

Spicy.
Apparently someone on Turgeon’s staff (he denied saying it) yelled to Howard, “Don’t hang that banner yet because yours come down.”

That’s...not a good look for Maryland’s bench staff.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 pm
Location: Henderson, NV

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Rams Fanny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:23 pm

This scenario does not seem crazy: if a non First Four team selected in the Tourney tests positive between Monday thru Thursday and opts out, what happens? Does team #65 get "promoted"? If so does the team they were going to play get promoted as they no longer have a team to play? Is there a taxi squad of teams #69-72 who may be asked to play in the First Four with no practice time? Would Duke or another "Blue Blood" be inserted assuming no positive tests?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by HaulCitgo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Has to be forefeit and keep brackets intact. No other way.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by L-Jam3 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Rams Fanny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:23 pm
This scenario does not seem crazy: if a non First Four team selected in the Tourney tests positive between Monday thru Thursday and opts out, what happens? Does team #65 get "promoted"? If so does the team they were going to play get promoted as they no longer have a team to play? Is there a taxi squad of teams #69-72 who may be asked to play in the First Four with no practice time? Would Duke or another "Blue Blood" be inserted assuming no positive tests?
/frantically sets up Google alert for "NCAA team positive tests"

In all seriousness, though. The NCAA selects on Sunday from 6-7, and then the NIT announces their selections at 8:30. There are only 16 teams for this year's NIT. The first round of the NIT starts on Wednesday 3/17 in Dallas; the first round of the NCAA starts Friday 3/19. I guess they could just bump teams from the NIT if they're willing to get on a plane.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Remember back when college basketball teams represented the school, and not a sponsor?

Michigan State announces basketball team will now be called 'MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage'
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Apparently someone on Turgeon’s staff (he denied saying it) yelled to Howard, “Don’t hang that banner yet because yours come down.”
Its pretty high level trash talk.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:10 pm

mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Apparently someone on Turgeon’s staff (he denied saying it) yelled to Howard, “Don’t hang that banner yet because yours come down.”
Its pretty high level trash talk.
Might be better if the team doing the trash talk was in second or even third place instead of 9-11.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by wlu_lax6 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:01 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:10 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Apparently someone on Turgeon’s staff (he denied saying it) yelled to Howard, “Don’t hang that banner yet because yours come down.”
Its pretty high level trash talk.
Might be better if the team doing the trash talk was in second or even third place instead of 9-11.
and not getting stomped on at that time of the ejection. Smith did not miss any big 3s during the game.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:29 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:10 pm
...i... be ... doing ... trash talk ...on... 9-11.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
Rex
The Dude
Posts: 5393
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Rex » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Feels like everyone involved is going to get a free pass on that one, if for no other reason than that there were so few cameras and media in place to figure out what happened.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:56 pm

What’s the over/under on “uncontested games” in the NCAA Tournament?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:36 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:56 pm
What’s the over/under on “uncontested games” in the NCAA Tournament?
I say five.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by A_B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:52 pm

Wow. Only second acc tournament final without a team from North Carolina? That’s nuts.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6883
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Nonlinear FC » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:25 am

brian wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:10 pm
mister d wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm
Apparently someone on Turgeon’s staff (he denied saying it) yelled to Howard, “Don’t hang that banner yet because yours come down.”
Its pretty high level trash talk.
Might be better if the team doing the trash talk was in second or even third place instead of 9-11.
The banner thing has been denied by both parties.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 pm

#FireUpChips


HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by HaulCitgo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:29 pm

For real?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by A_B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:55 pm

He’s just poking other seamper, some of who will make the real big dance today.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by brian » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:37 pm

I forgot that women were second class and only to be used as semen receptacles.

User avatar
L-Jam3
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by L-Jam3 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:28 pm

I have to think Big John Thompson is strutting in Lefty Rosenthal’s big sports book in the sky right now.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by Pruitt » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:01 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:46 pm
Remember back when college basketball teams represented the school, and not a sponsor?

Michigan State announces basketball team will now be called 'MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage'
Amateur athletics!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EnochRoot » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:53 pm

This Illinois OSU game is as good as it gets. But damn if the refs didn't botch that call where the OSU defender hacked down on Illinois' big man. I know there's no 'intentional foul' rule, but it should've been a flagrant considering the effort engaged.

Whatever.

Go team.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by psunate77 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:07 pm

Gonzaga region is really weird..

1. Gonzaga

2. Iowa
3. Kansas
4. Virginia


Gonzaga has already beaten those 3 teams.

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by EdRomero » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:10 am

brian wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:38 pm
Also, Izzo is a dick.
Bump

(More for the press conference after the game than being an ass before halftime)

Post Reply