Jerry Seinfeld is not dead

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Jerry Seinfeld is not dead

Post by EdRomero »

From a discussion in the Netflix thread, I think he's a fascinating person to examine. He struck gold getting to work with Larry David and Julia Louise Dreyfus (and to a lesser extent, all the other people associated with the show). As much as I loved his shows, my opinion of him has drastically gone down in the last few years (and I still religiously follow the Simpsons and DMB, so if a popular 90's act is losing me, that's pretty bad).
mister d
The Dude

Re: Jerry Seinfeld is not dead

Post by mister d »

Don't forget dated a HS kid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:49 pm Don't forget dated a HS kid.
My favorite quote about that:
“Conan O’Brien” wrote:Jerry Seinfeld proposed to Shoshanna Lonstein on the night of her 21st birthday. Apparently he wanted to wait to make sure she wasn’t just using him to buy beer.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 pm From a discussion in the Netflix thread, I think he's a fascinating person to examine. He struck gold getting to work with Larry David and Julia Louise Dreyfus (and to a lesser extent, all the other people associated with the show). As much as I loved his shows, my opinion of him has drastically gone down in the last few years (and I still religiously follow the Simpsons and DMB, so if a popular 90's act is losing me, that's pretty bad).
I definitely get the sense that Larry David was really the motor behind that show, but he didn't have the confidence or ability to get it done on his own. Jerry was a horrendous actor, and the writing really seems much more Larry's than Jerry's. It's also interesting that I had the sens of him being the biggest standup star back then, but his standup really wasn't that great.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think Dreyfus is amazing but I think her wings probably spread on the new adventures of old Christine. She wasn’t really pushed that much on Seinfeld. Talented but she was at best third wheel in that show and you can make a big argument for fourth.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:30 pm I think Dreyfus is amazing but I think her wings probably spread on the new adventures of old Christine. She wasn’t really pushed that much on Seinfeld. Talented but she was at best third wheel in that show and you can make a big argument for fourth.
HOT TAKE
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:58 am
A_B wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:30 pm I think Dreyfus is amazing but I think her wings probably spread on the new adventures of old Christine. She wasn’t really pushed that much on Seinfeld. Talented but she was at best third wheel in that show and you can make a big argument for fourth.
HOT TAKE
Steaming Hot!

Kramer became a grating presence after a while. Towards the end of the run, seeing Newman was kind of refreshing.

But post-Seinfeld, Julia Louise Dreyfus became legendary.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:53 am
HOT TAKE
Steaming Hot!

Kramer became a grating presence after a while. Towards the end of the run, seeing Newman was kind of refreshing.

Wonder what happened to Dreyfus' kid (the one who played hoops at Northwestern)
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HOT TAKE
Steaming Hot!

Listen here, dickfuckers, I was trying to say Seinfeld working with her wasn't really something that made him lucky, which is what the posts previous to mine were talking about.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 am
HOT TAKE
Steaming Hot!

Listen here, dickfuckers, I was trying to say Seinfeld working with her wasn't really something that made him lucky, which is what the posts previous to mine were talking about.
It did. You put a less talented actresses in the Elaine role and the show is not the same. Having a super talented and funny actress with that group was necessary. Maybe you would have preferred Ellen Degeneres. Ballsfucker.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You were not one of the aforementioned dickfuckers, but I grant you membership as of now.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah AB, maybe you would have preferred Julia Child there idiot
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB needs to put down the fucking pen, is what I am saying.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:03 am AB needs to put down the fucking pen, is what I am saying.
Or the keyboard, so we aren't subjected to his dumbass opinions.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Facts is facts boys. I know this will come as a surprise to some of you, but you can get better as your professional career continues. You can even be good early on and still get better! No kidding! Now, I wouldn't know anything about that, and I suspect most of you won't either, but it happens!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

So what made Seinfeld better than all the other shows revolved around a stand-up taking the lead? Was it Seinfeld? Larry David being behind the scenes helping a lot is a given, but being with an all-time great comedian actress helped a lot too.

Maybe compare him to Gary Shandling. Shandling was very funny in It's Gary Shandling's Show, but The Larry Sanders Show blew it away and his supporting cast was so much better. Maybe it was a better concept and Shandling's writing grew, but having an upgraded cast meant a lot.

What's Julia Louise Dreyfus's VORP?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am Facts is facts boys. I know this will come as a surprise to some of you, but you can get better as your professional career continues. You can even be good early on and still get better! No kidding! Now, I wouldn't know anything about that, and I suspect most of you won't either, but it happens!
I actually agree with you, but more that JLD wasn't challenged as much or given the space to shine in Seinfeld. I didn't watch more than a couple episodes of that Christine show, and that was mostly at the gym with no volume when the TV I was watching went to commercials. But she knocked it out of the damned park on Veep.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am Facts is facts boys. I know this will come as a surprise to some of you, but you can get better as your professional career continues. You can even be good early on and still get better! No kidding! Now, I wouldn't know anything about that, and I suspect most of you won't either, but it happens!
I actually agree with you, but more that JLD wasn't challenged as much or given the space to shine in Seinfeld. I didn't watch more than a couple episodes of that Christine show, and that was mostly at the gym with no volume when the TV I was watching went to commercials. But she knocked it out of the damned park on Veep.
THIS WAS MY WHOLE FUCKING POINT! I think pruitt and bengal also agreed with me (the sarcastic hot take stuff usually means what was posted is generally considered to be true, right?) but had to be dickknuckles about it!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am Facts is facts boys. I know this will come as a surprise to some of you, but you can get better as your professional career continues.
What if you start at SNL while others are acting in UHF and fast food ads?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:31 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am Facts is facts boys. I know this will come as a surprise to some of you, but you can get better as your professional career continues.
What if you start at SNL while others are acting in UHF and fast food ads?
And still not get the best part. Fucking Misogynist culture man. Damn the patriarchy!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I do NOT agree with you. She carried several seasons of Seinfeld later in its run. Especially the Peterman years. Seinfeld was blah as an actor. Kramer got old. George got one note as character especially after Larry David stepped back. She was comedic genius .
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am I do NOT agree with you. She carried several seasons of Seinfeld later in its run. Especially the Peterman years. Seinfeld was blah as an actor. Kramer got old. George got one note as character especially after Larry David stepped back. She was comedic genius .
Then your hot take comment makes no sense.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

What's the deal with hot takes?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:52 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am I do NOT agree with you. She carried several seasons of Seinfeld later in its run. Especially the Peterman years. Seinfeld was blah as an actor. Kramer got old. George got one note as character especially after Larry David stepped back. She was comedic genius .
But she was NOT a third or fourth wheel - she grew into so much more after the first few seasons. I reject your characterization of my response to your take.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:52 am
But she was NOT a third or fourth wheel - she grew into so much more after the first few seasons. I reject your characterization of my response to your take.
Then herein lies the confusion.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Weird sub-argument aside...

I'll go out on this limb: I absolutely hated Seinfield by the time it was wrapping up. I wasn't a fan of JLD on that show, really didn't ever find Kramer that funny, and George was kind of a horrible (and not funny) person to me.

I'm also not a fan of Curb.

Veep is one of my all time favorite shows.

I think there's a common thread in there...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is calling her a 3rd or 4th wheel the same as saying she's the 3rd or 4th least replaceable?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.