US Regional Cuisines

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

If you could only eat food from the continental 48 above or below this line, which are you picking?

Above
54%
Below
46%

Total votes: 24

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: US Regional Cuisines

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:57 am
P.D.X. wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:50 am The thick straws make me uncomfortable.
ha

We have a place downtown that is usually pretty busy at the end of the school day (when there were school days), sharing space with a Korean fried chicken joint. Tea can sometimes upset my belly, but there are a couple of things on the menu I like.
First time I ever had it was in Korea, so that tracks for me. Also, Korean fried chicken is fucking 🔥🔥🔥. But where is it in America relative to the line?
sancarlos wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pmAs far as I can tell, that's mainly who drinks it - 14 year-old girls. And, they drink a lot of it. - Johnnie, what the fuck?
California never fails to make me go. "Ah, yes. California does things like that."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bonchon is a Korean fried chicken chain. There's one here in Katy, but we also have three other non-chain places as well.

I'm pretty sure if we could just pick one city to eat in for the rest of our lives, I'd sadly forgo the New Mexican cuisine and would easily pick Houston. If there's a type of food that we can't get here at a very high quality, then I don't really care if we have it or not.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm Bonchon is a Korean fried chicken chain. There's one here in Katy, but we also have three other non-chain places as well.

I'm pretty sure if we could just pick one city to eat in for the rest of our lives, I'd sadly forgo the New Mexican cuisine and would easily pick Houston. If there's a type of food that we can't get here at a very high quality, then I don't really care if we have it or not.
There's a Bonchon in ABQ. Learned about it just before my deployment. Delicious.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry for some reason i thought you were asking if there was an American chain.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Let the folks at "Pronunciation Hub" tell all...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:44 am
mister d wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:34 amGo on ...
http://souvlaqueria.com/

NOT at all related to the Greek-ish place that used to be in the same location. The owners of the Union Pork Store across the street bestowing their seal of approval in a conversation with cerrano was enough to get me to try it.
the pita was so soft and you can tell they use high quality olive oil. this place, is indeed πολύ καλά.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm Bonchon is a Korean fried chicken chain. There's one here in Katy, but we also have three other non-chain places as well.

There's a Bonchon in ABQ. Learned about it just before my deployment. Delicious.
We have a Bonchon downtown! It shares space with a bubble tea place that is usually pretty busy at the end of the school day (when there were school days).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 pm

We have a Bonchon downtown! It shares space with a bubble tea place that is usually pretty busy at the end of the school day (when there were school days).
Got curious and was wondering is it was the same in ABQ. Bonchon closed back in March due to COVID. Booooo.

(They also picked the way west side of town to open their restaurant too. They probably could've made it if they opened elsewhere in the city.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

cerrano wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pmthe pita was so soft and you can tell they use high quality olive oil. this place, is indeed πολύ καλά.
Pita apathy ruins so many otherwise fine gyros.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:46 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:41 pm
rass wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:16 pm When is the Sean William Scott-aissance going to happen?
It was called Goon.
Haven’t seen it! Will withdraw my complaint until I finally do.
So fun! And SWC was low key and un-Stiffler and completed likable.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you keep notes?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I liked Goon, and Alison Pill is crush for sure.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 pm I liked Goon, and Alison Pill is crush for sure.
Looked much cuter as a horny Halifaxian in Goon than as a /spoiler blond in Picard.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 pm Do you keep notes?
I intended to watch a Tarantino film but got intimidated by 2.5+ hours at 10:30pm and saw Goon and it’s tidy 90 minute running time and remembered this conversation and went for it. Would like to say it was to honor BSF’s honesty in yesterday’s SC game but I didn’t think of that until after the fact. Then I searched on “goon” and posted here (and spelled “completely” wrong).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 am "Here's a Dumb One Pt. 37" doesn't have the same ring. I also assigned my mom to look for Duke's because the website said they sometimes ship to NY (but not NJ) and we've both long abandoned that. I should ask later and feign upset she forgot.
It was just delievered.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:39 pm
mister d wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 am "Here's a Dumb One Pt. 37" doesn't have the same ring. I also assigned my mom to look for Duke's because the website said they sometimes ship to NY (but not NJ) and we've both long abandoned that. I should ask later and feign upset she forgot.
It was just delievered.
Is it sourced from Saturn?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume there's a name for being single-mindedly obsessive about something in the moment then completely abandoning it the next? I'm good at that.