Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm
bfj wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm If there is anything that makes me want to reach across a table at an IEP meeting and drive a person's head into a conference room table more than someone laughing at me like I'm an idiot because I'm NOT an occupational therapist, I'm not sure what that is.
Cuntmuppet of an OT at my son's team wrote:Oh, Mr. BFJ, that's not a fine motor skill, ha ha ha
I hear you. One of my tasks at my old job was to write the first draft of the script for our CEO and CFO to use on our quarterly telephone conference calls with the investment community. I always dreaded the first meeting to go over my draft, because the meeting was attended by about 7 of the top execs and they all wanted to put in their two cents on how it should be edited. And, one cuntmuppet (to use your term), when he wanted to change something from my original, would always laugh and mock my original. I had to be calm and professional while he spoke, but I always did a slow burn.
I've offered grammatical corrections on annual reports (I am generally a layout/graphics resource) and you'd think I had insulted the way their wife looks and they have to demean to try to save face. And they were wrong in every situation I mentioned, save one that was really an either/or style issue, so whatever.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm
bfj wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm If there is anything that makes me want to reach across a table at an IEP meeting and drive a person's head into a conference room table more than someone laughing at me like I'm an idiot because I'm NOT an occupational therapist, I'm not sure what that is.
Cuntmuppet of an OT at my son's team wrote:Oh, Mr. BFJ, that's not a fine motor skill, ha ha ha
I hear you. One of my tasks at my old job was to write the first draft of the script for our CEO and CFO to use on our quarterly telephone conference calls with the investment community. I always dreaded the first meeting to go over my draft, because the meeting was attended by about 7 of the top execs and they all wanted to put in their two cents on how it should be edited. And, one cuntmuppet (to use your term), when he wanted to change something from my original, would always laugh and mock my original. I had to be calm and professional while he spoke, but I always did a slow burn.
I've offered grammatical corrections on annual reports (I am generally a layout/graphics resource) and you'd think I had insulted the way their wife looks and they have to demean to try to save face. And they were wrong in every situation I mentioned, save one that was really an either/or style issue, so whatever.
I never minded, and actually appreciated helpful edits put forth in a professional manner. But there was that one guy...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

teeteebee wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 pm
P.D.X. wrote:Been seeing Hillsboro Hops merch around town lately, but just learned today that it's a minor league team. (In a suburb about 15 mins away.)

Love the colors and love the logo. Wish I would have known about this earlier.
Saw a guy wearing this team’s cap recently. Think I’ll order one!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pappadeaux's lunch servings are absurdly large.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 pm
This one?

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ummm... no.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 pm
This one?

that must come in pink.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It really should come in orange for the NEIPA fanbois. :)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the city of Kaliningrad, Russia is hosting some World Cup games, starting with Croatia v. Nigeria tomorrow.

Interestingly (at least, to me), Kaliningrad was part of Prussia/Germany from its founding in the Middle Ages until the end of WWII, when it was taken from Germany and absorbed into the Soviet Union (and its name changed from Konigsberg to Kaliningrad). Its metropolitan area is bordered by Poland, Lithuania and the Baltic Sea and it does not border any other part of Russia. The survivors of the German population were forcibly expelled in 1946–1949, and the city was repopulated with Soviet citizens. The German language was replaced by the Russian language.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pmThe survivors of the German population were forcibly expelled in 1946–1949, and the city was repopulated with Soviet citizens. The German language was replaced by the Russian language.
As I understand it, the postwar expulsion of ethnic Germans from Poland and Czechoslovakia was one of the biggest ethnic cleansings ever.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pmThe survivors of the German population were forcibly expelled in 1946–1949, and the city was repopulated with Soviet citizens. The German language was replaced by the Russian language.
As I understand it, the postwar expulsion of ethnic Germans from Poland and Czechoslovakia was one of the biggest ethnic cleansings ever.
If it wasn't so sad and depressing, there would be a dark irony to the Soviet army liberating (some) German concentration camps only for Stalin to pick up where Hitler left off and killing twice as many people in his own purges of "undesirables".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The portrayal of a black character in a 'Dennis the Menace' cartoon prompted outbursts of violence and apologies from newspapers that published it.
Snopes wrote:...It was in this climate that Hank Ketcham, the cartoonist whose Dennis the Menace feature had debuted in newspapers in 1951 (and proved popular enough to spawn a live-action television series in 1959), decided to introduce a black character of his own in 1970, the fleetingly seen Jackson:

Unlike Franklin, whose race was largely irrelevant to the way Schulz used him in the Peanuts strip, Jackson debuted in a panel that Ketcham specifically intended as a commentary on racial attitudes. Ketcham often employed the technique of spoofing the foibles of adults by having Dennis embarrassingly repeat things he’d heard his parents say but hadn’t understood (such as referring to his mother’s friend, whom she’d said had a dye job, as “the lady with dead hair”), and in other circumstances one might find Ketcham put that technique to endearingly good use here to illustrate the concept that prejudice is something that is learned rather than innate: Dennis is innocently color blind and fails to recognize why he’s supposed to have “race trouble” with Jackson, because he knows the word “race” only as something that denotes a speed contest and doesn’t understand its use as an anthropological term. Hence his perception of “race trouble” is nothing more than being perturbed that Jackson runs faster than he does.

Unfortunately, Ketcham completely undercut his message by visually portraying Jackson as if the character had just stepped out of a 19th century minstrel show or the pages of Little Black Sambo. As Ketcham wrote in his autobiography The Merchant of Dennis, the panel (predictably to everyone but the cartoonist, it seemed) offended many readers and prompted outbursts of violence in several American cities:
Dennis the Menace cartoonist Hank Ketcham wrote:A harmless little play on words and, I felt, a soft, amusing beginning. Not so. The rumble started in Detroit, then moved south to St. Louis where rocks and bottles were thrown through the windows of the Post-Dispatch. Newspaper boys were being chased and hassled in Little Rock, and in Miami some Herald editors were being threatened. The cancer quickly spread to other large cities.
I first heard the news in a midnight transatlantic telephone call to my Geneva apartment from the syndicate in New York. I was shocked, then frustrated, then mad as hell, and, at the request of my beleaguered colleagues fielding complaints from all over the country, dictated a statement to the client newspapers involved.
Snopes wrote:Some newspapers, such as the Cleveland Press, ran editorial apologies to their subscribers in place of the Dennis the Menace cartoon the following day.

Ketcham tried one more time with Jackson, in a setting that again touched on the theme of Dennis’ untainted innocence blinding him to what he’s supposed to see as obviously “different” about his new friend. Sadly, Ketcham depicted the Jackson character in a manner many readers found scarcely less offensive than his previous effort:

Lamentably, Ketcham never seemed to quite grasp what all the fuss was about, remaining unaware even in his final days why a “miniature Stepin Fetchit” character had been so poorly received in the racially conscious early 1970s:
Dennis the Menace cartoonist Hank Ketcham wrote:I made a point not to apologize but to express my utter dismay at the absurd reaction to my innocent cartoon and my amazement at the number of “art directors” out there. Any regular Dennis-watcher would surely know that I am never vindictive or show any intent to malign or denigrate. But I guess those violent protestants were not avid followers of newspaper comics. And they weren’t complaining about the “gag”; it was my depiction of Dennis’s new pal that got their tails in a knot. I gave them a miniature Stepin Fetchit when they wanted a half-pint Harry Belafonte.
It seems that Sammy Davis, Jr., was the only one who could safely poke fun at the minorities. To this day, Jackson remains in the ink bottle. A pity.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Baseball history is funny. People like to talk about records and such, but the league is so much different than the old days. To wit:
wiki wrote:When Ed Delahanty's Phillies hosted the Chicago White Stockings at Philadelphia's Huntingdon Street Grounds in July, 1892, Cap Anson hit a fly ball to center field. The ball hit a pole and landed right in the "doghouse", a little-known feature of the park that was used to store numbers for the manually run scoreboard. Delahanty tried reaching over the "doghouse" and then tried crawling down into it. He got stuck, and by the time teammate Sam Thompson had freed Delahanty from the area, Anson had crossed home plate.
Can't remember any MLB players getting stuck inside a hole in the outfield, lately.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can you remove "lately" and give me wide berth with the term "hole" so I can make a Mickey Mantle joke here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Had absolutely no idea that this is a Lyndsey Buckingham jam

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh yeah? I found out long ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Some of us don't have billable hours to do in-depth research into hit tunes from 80s comedies.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:24 pm Some of us don't have billable hours to do in-depth research into hit tunes from 80s comedies.
Don't you work in facilities directly geared towards research...?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bwahaha
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:24 pm Some of us don't have billable hours to do in-depth research into hit tunes from 80s comedies.
Don't you work in facilities directly geared towards research...?

It's rare when that topic of research blesses our hallowed halls, nor are we geared toward such research. Early baseball historical journals we got covered, early 80s rock anthems not so much.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Wasn't this a conversation here a couple years back or so? I swear I learned that same information from the Swamp.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Mick Jagger's great grandkid is older than his youngest son.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/entertai ... index.html
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm Had absolutely no idea that this is a Lyndsey Buckingham jam
You apparently don't watch the closing credits of the classic movies.

Though, in your defense, I've always thought Lindsay Buckingham had a very indistinct, "meh" quality to his vocals. Not somebody you always identify right away.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Freddie Kitchens is white
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm Freddie Kitchens is white
Um. He was a bama qb pre Saban. So duh!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gas is $1.69 a gallon at Costco. It's like $2.15 on average everywhere else here.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Big 10 hasn't had a qb drafted in the first round in 24 years.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not since Kerry Collins?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm Not since Kerry Collins?
That would have been my guess.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm Not since Kerry Collins?
Apparently. My mind is still reeling.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of course, the Big Ten produced two of the five best QBs in the history of football during that time, so...
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:03 pm Of course, the Big Ten produced two of the five best QBs in the history of football during that time, so...
Yes. That is beside the point.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Am I the only one who didn't know where the rotator cuff is located?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 pm Am I the only one who didn't know where the rotator cuff is located?
Did you think it was in the elbow? I spent years thinking that before learning it's actually in the shoulder.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel a little better; I thought it was in the back, just above the shoulder blade area. I was pretty surprised to find out that more than half my life has been spent with rotator cuff pain versus a general arm pain or dead-arm.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm I feel a little better; I thought it was in the back, just above the shoulder blade area. I was pretty surprised to find out that more than half my life has been spent with rotator cuff pain versus a general arm pain or dead-arm.
See if Dr. James Andrews accepts your insurance. You may have to be on the DL for a season.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I learned via mayo clinic I could eventually lose full use of my shoulder. The medical internet is dumb.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 pm I learned via mayo clinic I could eventually lose full use of my shoulder. The medical internet is dumb.
Damn! I was just kidding!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shoulder cancer is no joke.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The D now stands for Dravecky.