Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by govmentchedda »

Oiler worked on Law and Order with D'Onofrio. If he ever has enough time to swamp again, maybe he'll give us some insider info on the guy. I do remember Oiler saying that the actress opposite him was very cool.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:Watching the opening scene of Full Metal Jacket, I had no idea that the actor who played feeble-minded Private "Gomer Pyle" is the same dude that played the detective on Law & Order for a decade or so. Vincent D'Onofrio. He gained a ton of weight for that role.

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman (R. Lee Ermey) has no shortage of brilliant lines in that film (most of which are said to be ad lib'd). But one line I've never understood is I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo! What the hell does that mean? Or is it even supposed to mean anything?
I hit the Googles:
There’s an interpretation I saw a few places that I would call the correct one, which says that to “shortdick” means to shortchange, and that the cannibals would be shortchanged because Private Pyle would become skinny and thus his disgusting fat-body could no longer feed the cannibals, most of whom live in The Congo simply for the alliterative value. Like almost all of R. Lee Ermey’s improvised lines, a masterpiece of colorful vulgarity.
Makes sense, actually.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/08/ful ... -the-congo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Ah, that answers it. Excellent explanation. Thanks for digging that up, Shirley. That's gotta be it.

Funny thing, Full Metal Jacket only received one Oscar nomination and that was for Best Adapted Screenplay. Which strikes me as kind of odd given that all of the best lines in the film are R. Lee Ermey's ad-libs.

Let's see. Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actor that year:
Sean Connery – The Untouchables (winner)
Albert Brooks – Broadcast News
Morgan Freeman – Street Smart
Vincent Gardenia – Moonstruck
Denzel Washington – Cry Freedom

Terrible slight, that, not nominating Ermey. And in a relatively very weak year for Hollywood.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Scottie wrote:Ah, that answers it. Excellent explanation. Thanks for digging that up, Shirley. That's gotta be it.

Funny thing, Full Metal Jacket only received one Oscar nomination and that was for Best Adapted Screenplay. Which strikes me as kind of odd given that all of the best lines in the film are R. Lee Ermey's ad-libs.

Terrible slight, that, not nominating Ermey. And in a relatively very weak year for Hollywood.
Although Albert Brooks was pretty great in Broadcast News.

But yeah, nobody's quoting or alluding to Brooks's character 20+ years later.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Driving back from LA, I'm doing some work at a Panera in Bumfuckistan (actually, Victorville) and the guy at the table next to me is conducting job interviews for some shitty cell phone store. Kind of fascinating.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Ermey was only supposed to be a technical advisor on the film, but Kubrick put him in the movie after he sent in a tape of himself going drill instructor apeshit on a bunch of extras.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That was a lifetime achievement award for the best James Bond.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:
Scottie wrote:Ah, that answers it. Excellent explanation. Thanks for digging that up, Shirley. That's gotta be it.

Although Albert Brooks was pretty great in Broadcast News.

But yeah, nobody's quoting or alluding to Brooks's character 20+ years later.
I don't know about you, but I use the classic "Wouldn't this be a great world if insecurity and desperation made us more attractive? If "needy" were a turn-on? " quote all the time.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't know about classic lines, but that flopsweat scene is etched into my mind. I think about it every time I go to court.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

In Botticelli's Allegory of Spring, there are 500 identified plant species depicted in the painting, with about 190 different flowers. I guess I knew people have always been crazy about flowers like the tulip mania in Holland but I didn't think botany was that established in 1550. That level of detail is insane to me, even if it was done today.
howard
Karl Hungus

My old buddy Jello

Post by howard »

The surgeon I work with on Tuesdays has a son. He just graduated college, starting a wall street job in two months. In the meantime, he is going on holiday. In Cambodia.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: My old buddy Jello

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:The surgeon I work with on Tuesdays has a son. He just graduated college, starting a wall street job in two months. In the meantime, he is going on holiday. In Cambodia.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old enough that I knew which video was coming, there! That band kind of sucked, but they had a name that everybody sure had heard of.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Re: My old buddy Jello

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:That band kind of sucked
Nonsense.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Whoa....slow your roll there, grandpa. The DKs were brilliant. Especially given what largely passed for music during that time period. California Uber Alles is about as close to a perfect punk song as you're going to find on this side of Anarchy For The U.K.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just so it's clear I was joking with the "grandpa" comment. Obviously SC can like or not like whatever he wants.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:Just so it's clear I was joking with the "grandpa" comment. Obviously SC can like or not like whatever he wants.
Well, thanks! But, seriously, I was (And am still) into a lot of classic punk. Back in that day, there was plenty of stuff I really liked - the Pistols, Ramones, Undertones, Buzzcocks, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Clash, Black Flag, to name a few (and the Stooges and the Dolls before any of them).

But, there were some I never enjoyed, and the DKs were one of them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There are five living presidents, but only three years in which a living president was born (Carter and Bush 41 were both born in 1924; Clinton and Bush 43 were both born in 1946)
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Looked at the "About" page on that site and nowhere there does he mention his prominent role in Fletch Lives. Shocked.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:There are five living presidents, but only three years in which a living president was born (Carter and Bush 41 were both born in 1924; Clinton and Bush 43 were both born in 1946)
…and Obama was born in Kenya.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was just on Sportscenter!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote:I was just on Sportscenter!
Whoa! Are you all right?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Giff wrote:I was just on Sportscenter!
Whoa! Are you all right?
I am pretty embarrassed I was watching it!

But if you've seen the replay of the guy catching a foul ball with his hat while holding a kid, I'm in the wide angle shot. We were about three seats over in the next section.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A mountain lion was strolling around downtown Santa Cruz today. Then, it got itself trapped in a walled aqueduct. After much head scratching (as this became a big news and twitter story), they darted it and carted it out to the wilderness. But, it will be on all the local news stations tonight
link
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

For those of us with kids of that age......new voice for Thomas (still find it funny that George Carlin had this role for a bit)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... k-moraghan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:A mountain lion was strolling around downtown Santa Cruz today. Then, it got itself trapped in a walled aqueduct. After much head scratching (as this became a big news and twitter story), they darted it and carted it out to the wilderness. But, it will be on all the local news stations tonight
link
I hope Kim Bauer is ok.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote:For those of us with kids of that age......new voice for Thomas (still find it funny that George Carlin had this role for a bit)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... k-moraghan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I always got a kick out of the fact that, during the years my daughter watched that program, the three narrators we heard were George Carlin, Ringo Starr and Alec Baldwin.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So will Toronto keep reelecting their alleged crack-smoking mayor like Washington DC does?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So will Toronto keep reelecting their alleged crack-smoking mayor like Washington DC does?
Hint: The Toronto Star has less legitimacy than Gawker or TMZ. It is an obsessed anti-Ford rag whose reporters stalk Ford around the clock. Really. They literally hide in the bushes around his house. This would not be anywhere near the first time they flat-out made up some outrageous bullshit story to slander the mayor. Not even close.

Until a legitimate new agency reports actual facts, this is nothing more than another iteration of disgrace from a shit newspaper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Scottie wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:So will Toronto keep reelecting their alleged crack-smoking mayor like Washington DC does?
Hint: The Toronto Star has less legitimacy than Gawker or TMZ. It is an obsessed anti-Ford rag whose reporters stalk Ford around the clock. Really. They literally hide in the bushes around his house. This would not be anywhere near the first time they flat-out made up some outrageous bullshit story to slander the mayor. Not even close.

Until a legitimate new agency reports actual facts, this is nothing more than another iteration of disgrace from a shit newspaper.
You know it didn't originally come from the Toronto Star, right?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Okay, since it’s Friday and I’m mentally checked out of work, here’s some thoughts on the subject of having a person represent an entire political party. It’s actually impossible because there are no “True Conservatives.” There are as many forms of conservatism as there are conservatives, just as there are as many forms of liberalism as there are liberals, as many forms of Christianity as there are Christians, as many forms of Islam as there are Muslims, etc. Labels, man…we fucking love them. We are undeniably a social species and a tribal species. I’m not knocking that either…we owe our existence to it. Without that, we would have never made it out the Savannah. We’d be just a short history of lion food. Make no mistake about it though…it is as vestigial as the hair on my back.

We actually can’t control what we think…our ideology…our worldview. We can chose to say what we think. We can chose to label ourselves what we want, but these labels are so fucking watered down that they don’t even mean anything anymore. There is no “free will” for lack of a better term. We have cognitive faculties provided to us genetically and then we have a cumulative set of experiences and observations about the world that shape our ideology and are constantly evolving. That’s you…that’s me. That’s the only REAL truth. So any choices we make in regards to what we believe are always motivated by some sort of confirmation bias, emperor’s new clothes type of shit. It’s not real though.

So we can call ourselves whatever we’d like and thankfully we live in a country that provides us that liberty but that practice is either a result of intellectual dishonesty or a conscious choice to stop thinking. There’s no such thing as a republican or a democrat or a Christian or a Jew. All there really is…is you. “Swing baby…your platinum!”

It’s not money, or power, or hope, or security that we seek. At the end of the day, all we really want is affirmation.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Brontoburglar wrote:You know it didn't originally come from the Toronto Star, right?
Yes.

It came from Gawker, which is a shitstain of a site. You are not familiar with the Toronto Star's obsession with bringing down Ford. They'll try anything. Anything.

So what you are looking at is a Gawker "story" about two Somalian drug dealers that were trying to get a million bucks for a video that plays right in to the hands of an equally non-credible Toronto Star's lunatic obsession with a politician they don't like. Hmmm, let's see . . . what could possibly be ridiculous about that?
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

Other than being fat, he strikes me as a guy willing to try crack. Guilty, i say!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Scottie wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:You know it didn't originally come from the Toronto Star, right?
Yes.

It came from Gawker, which is a shitstain of a site. You are not familiar with the Toronto Star's obsession with bringing down Ford. They'll try anything. Anything.

So what you are looking at is a Gawker "story" about two Somalian drug dealers that were trying to get a million bucks for a video that plays right in to the hands of an equally non-credible Toronto Star's lunatic obsession with a politician they don't like. Hmmm, let's see . . . what could possibly be ridiculous about that?
a million bucks, $200,000... same thing, right?

So, what if this tape exists? Is it not a story? Skepticism is one thing, dismissal is another.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Bronto, you are using Gawker as your source. That's laughable.

Do your homework. The Somalian drug dealers initially tried to get a million dollars for the so-called tape. Nobody gave it to them. They dropped the price.

Do your homework.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Brontoburglar wrote:So, what if this tape exists? Is it not a story? Skepticism is one thing, dismissal is another.
If it exists, it's a story. Right now there is no evidence whatsoever that Mayor Ford was filmed smoking crack with two Somalian drug dealers in the middle of a work day. None. The "word" of a Toronto Star reporter claiming to have seen it means nothing. You'd understand that if you knew anything about the history of the Toronto Star's ludicrous attacks on Ford. You clearly do not understand this.

Gawker is trying to crowd-fund $200,000. Good luck trying to crowd-fund the millions Ford will be able to sue them for if they just oh-so-happen to be full of shit.

Dismissal is more than acceptable when you've seen a so-called news organization like the Toronto Star get caught lying, committing crimes, slandering, etc etc etc, hundreds of times.

This is the same as Gawker, or some other shithole, claiming "Obama Sucked Every Donkey Dick In Kenya! Look! See! He Has NOT Denied It!!! It Must Be True!!!" Yeah, sure. If you knew anything whatsoever about the history of the Toronto Star's obsession with Ford, you wouldn't take it seriously either.

Lowest form of "news" possible. Period.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Scottie wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:So, what if this tape exists? Is it not a story? Skepticism is one thing, dismissal is another.
If it exists, it's a story. Right now there is no evidence whatsoever that Mayor Ford was filmed smoking crack with two Somalian drug dealers in the middle of a work day. None. The "word" of a Toronto Star reporter claiming to have seen it means nothing. You'd understand that if you knew anything about the history of the Toronto Star's ludicrous attacks on Ford. You clearly do not understand this.

Gawker is trying to crowd-fund $200,000. Good luck trying to crowd-fund the millions Ford will be able to sue them for if they just oh-so-happen to be full of shit.

Dismissal is more than acceptable when you've seen a so-called news organization like the Toronto Star get caught lying, committing crimes, slandering, etc etc etc, hundreds of times.

This is the same as Gawker, or some other shithole, claiming "Obama Sucked Every Donkey Dick In Kenya! Look! See! He Has NOT Denied It!!! It Must Be True!!!" Yeah, sure. If you knew anything whatsoever about the history of the Toronto Star's obsession with Ford, you wouldn't take it seriously either.

Lowest form of "news" possible. Period.
So should I substitute "Gawker" for Toronto Star in your first paragraph then?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Brontoburglar wrote:So should I substitute "Gawker" for Toronto Star in your first paragraph then?
Didn't you study journalism somewhere? Must have been one helluva program.