That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by That French Guy »

Shirley wrote:
A_B wrote:
Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Did you guys know that Spider Man doesn't produce his own webs? I knew he invented the web shooter but I thought that it was connected into his veins where he could biologically spin silk.
Yes. The mid-2000's Tobey Maguire movies made a change from the standard comic setup and had the webbing come from Spidey's body instead of being mechanical. It was sort of a nerdy big deal at the time. I don't know what the last set of movies (with Andrew Garfield) did. The new Spidey that showed up in the last Captain America movie is back to mechanical webbing.
Pretty sure it's a longstanding split in the Spiderman universe. Some storylines have mechanical webs and others have biological.
MOst of them have mechanical webbing in my experience. The tobey maguire stuff really pissed of the purists, like rass said.
The Googles say you're right. I thought I remembered that it was mainly mechanical, but sometime biological even in the old comics. Looks like that's a fairly recent thing.
The biological webbing was part of one of the stupidest spider-runs I ve ever read, where peter was actually turned into a giant spider, which died to give birth to himself.
Anyway, the organic shooters were retconned out when spiderman made a deal with mephisto to restore his secret identity (while also erasing his mariage to MJ, something which to this day is still quite divise among fans)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That French Guy wrote:
Shirley wrote:
A_B wrote:
Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Did you guys know that Spider Man doesn't produce his own webs? I knew he invented the web shooter but I thought that it was connected into his veins where he could biologically spin silk.
Yes. The mid-2000's Tobey Maguire movies made a change from the standard comic setup and had the webbing come from Spidey's body instead of being mechanical. It was sort of a nerdy big deal at the time. I don't know what the last set of movies (with Andrew Garfield) did. The new Spidey that showed up in the last Captain America movie is back to mechanical webbing.
Pretty sure it's a longstanding split in the Spiderman universe. Some storylines have mechanical webs and others have biological.
MOst of them have mechanical webbing in my experience. The tobey maguire stuff really pissed of the purists, like rass said.
The Googles say you're right. I thought I remembered that it was mainly mechanical, but sometime biological even in the old comics. Looks like that's a fairly recent thing.
The biological webbing was part of one of the stupidest spider-runs I ve ever read, where peter was actually turned into a giant spider, which died to give birth to himself.
Anyway, the organic shooters were retconned out when spiderman made a deal with mephisto to restore his secret identity (while also erasing his mariage to MJ, something which to this day is still quite divise among fans)
Which, and I don't currently read comics but I do occasionally read articles about them over at io9, I think they just undid that last year. Comics!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been playing guitar for a year now....playing and singing at the same time is WAY harder then I thought it would be...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make the word that means a subdivision of a major religion and the word that describes the act in which the humans partake to reproduce themselves sound phonetically distinguishable. It seems like it should be achievable. Very frustrating.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:Spending an inordinate amount of time trying to make the word that means a subdivision of a major religion and the word that describes the act in which the humans partake to reproduce themselves sound phonetically distinguishable. It seems like it should be achievable. Very frustrating.
Hey everybody. He means sects and sex.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Catholicism one of many fucks of Christianity.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A bunch of new knowledge today.

In the UK, a town hall meeting or a meet and greet with the constituents of a Member of Parliament is called a 'surgery' or 'clinic'. (Source - that lady MP who was murdered today was conducting a constituent surgery.)

Selena, the "Madonna of Tejano Music" was murdered over 20 years ago (March 1995). (Source - Jeopardy! today, man that was a quick 21 years.

OJ has a terrible golf swing, like approaching Charles Barkley terrible. And he cheats at golf. (Source - part 2 of the big documentary.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Canadian Senate is appointed not directly elected.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:The Canadian Senate is appointed not directly elected.
Well, I knew that. Since yesterday. When degen told me.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have a Chrome add-on that checks word usage and such and when I just wrote something with the word "mailed" in it it actually asked if I meant "emailed." What a world we live in.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:
brian wrote:The Canadian Senate is appointed not directly elected.
Well, I knew that. Since yesterday. When degen told me.
It is a place where old party hacks, bagmen and political tokens go to die.

Since I was a kid, there's been talk about abolishing it or making it relevant or making it an elected body. But nothing.

No real power, no real authority.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hey, look, Brent Musberger.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Reminds me of this. In the space between Ali's legs, the guy in the back with his mouth open: Larry Merchant.

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Army being able to roll their sleeves is trending Facebook news. For comparison, I've always been able to roll my sleeves.

The Senate portion of the NDAA for 2017 isn't. Granted it passed a couple weeks ago, but one part of it drastically reduces service members' basic allowance for housing. The House's portion of the NDAA for 2017 has no such verbiage (and has yet to pass but I think they vote on it soon.) Maybe it passes maybe it doesn't.

Starting in 2018, the military has fundamentally changed its retirement system. I'm grandfathered into the old one, thankfully. Overall, I'm just kinda sick and tired of being drug through trial and tribulation and rule change and draw down all while being expected to not have a voice in it all. I can't wait to retire.

It kinda hit me this morning: "Support the troops" is the military version of "thoughts and prayers." Hollow nothing phrases that don't actually mean much when said by a particular segment of the population. Sure, one is said in response to tragedy and the other in response to positive feel goods. But being in the military is taking on its own minor level of tragedy these days.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:The Army being able to roll their sleeves is trending Facebook news. For comparison, I've always been able to roll my sleeves.

The Senate portion of the NDAA for 2017 isn't. Granted it passed a couple weeks ago, but one part of it drastically reduces service members' basic allowance for housing. The House's portion of the NDAA for 2017 has no such verbiage (and has yet to pass but I think they vote on it soon.) Maybe it passes maybe it doesn't.

Starting in 2018, the military has fundamentally changed its retirement system. I'm grandfathered into the old one, thankfully. Overall, I'm just kinda sick and tired of being drug through trial and tribulation and rule change and draw down all while being expected to not have a voice in it all. I can't wait to retire.

It kinda hit me this morning: "Support the troops" is the military version of "thoughts and prayers." Hollow nothing phrases that don't actually mean much when said by a particular segment of the population. Sure, one is said in response to tragedy and the other in response to positive feel goods. But being in the military is taking on its own minor level of tragedy these days.
That part is no different from private sector.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, fuck my life then.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:Well, fuck my life then.
Yeah.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My gf's brother is a graphic artist who lives in San Francisco. Turns out he's on the NY Times list of artists to use to illustrate stories. The graphic that goes with today's Bernie Sanders op-ed piece was done by him.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote:"Support the troops" is the military version of "thoughts and prayers."
Or the predecessor to. Either one of those quotes as someone's sole contribution should get them slapped in the nose.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:The Army being able to roll their sleeves is trending Facebook news. For comparison, I've always been able to roll my sleeves.

Support the troops by buying the active ones sandwiches and voting in the people primarily responsible for cutting their benefits.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Support the troops by buying the active ones sandwiches and voting in the people primarily responsible for cutting their benefits.
And brazenly send them to fight.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I had no clue that Martina Hingis was a) still playing tennis and b) kicking ass in doubles and mixed doubles. She's one Steffi Graf set away from holding the career grand slam in all 3 formats.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Ryan wrote:I had no clue that Martina Hingis was a) still playing tennis and b) kicking ass in doubles and mixed doubles. She's one Steffi Graf set away from holding the career grand slam in all 3 formats.
I was surprised to learn these things as well a year or so ago, with the addition of c) still smoking hot.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Ryan wrote:I had no clue that Martina Hingis was a) still playing tennis and b) kicking ass in doubles and mixed doubles. She's one Steffi Graf set away from holding the career grand slam in all 3 formats.
I was surprised to learn these things as well a year or so ago, with the addition of c) still smoking hot.
So she plays for the Washington Kastles in World Team Tennis. When she started playing was when she started having some crazy stories about her relationship with her husband (probably ex-now). Rumor in DC was she was having a blast playing for the Kastles. Her mixed-doubles partner, Leander Paes also plays for the Kastles. I think she just enjoyed playing again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can watch youtube videos in double or half time. "Thuggish Ruggish" slowed down is pretty fun.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the gym across the street from me closed on Saturday July 2 -- the closing was made public to members on Thursday June 30. I miss walking to the gym but I'm now at a much better one. Anyway....

I canceled on that Thursday. As part of the agreement I signed in 2013 (no contract, the gym was closed because it was a 24 Hour Fitness and bought by another chain) said I paid up front for my final 30 days. No biggie.

I was charged on July 6. I went to another location today and asked why, stating that I had prepaid my last month. After confusion, the guy told me in a very roundabout way that my membership was good through September 5th as the last month I paid up front would be applied in August.

Unsatisfied and only slightly less confused, I left and when I got home looked through the agreement. It specifically contradicts what he said:
For example, if your monthly billing cycle begins on March 1, and 24 Hour Fitness receives notice of your request to terminate your agreement on March 15, your March 1 dues will cover your agreement through March 31 and your pre-paid last month's dues will cover your agreement for the following 30 days, so you would have agreement privileges for 46 days following 24 Hour's receipt of your termination notice, and your agreement privileges would end on April 30.
I called back to the gym and told them I looked at the membership agreement again and it contradicted what I was told. The person said my up front last month may "disappear" because it's a new gym. Uh.... Anyway, I'm supposed to get a call from a higher up. It's only over $30 (though I'm going to ask for $60 at this point for the July that I've been charged and won't use) but this is a fucking disaster. No one knows what's going on and the person I talked to on the phone basically admitted that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:the gym across the street from me closed on Saturday July 2 -- the closing was made public to members on Thursday June 30. I miss walking to the gym but I'm now at a much better one. Anyway....

I canceled on that Thursday. As part of the agreement I signed in 2013 (no contract, the gym was closed because it was a 24 Hour Fitness and bought by another chain) said I paid up front for my final 30 days. No biggie.

I was charged on July 6. I went to another location today and asked why, stating that I had prepaid my last month. After confusion, the guy told me in a very roundabout way that my membership was good through September 5th as the last month I paid up front would be applied in August.

Unsatisfied and only slightly less confused, I left and when I got home looked through the agreement. It specifically contradicts what he said:
For example, if your monthly billing cycle begins on March 1, and 24 Hour Fitness receives notice of your request to terminate your agreement on March 15, your March 1 dues will cover your agreement through March 31 and your pre-paid last month's dues will cover your agreement for the following 30 days, so you would have agreement privileges for 46 days following 24 Hour's receipt of your termination notice, and your agreement privileges would end on April 30.
I called back to the gym and told them I looked at the membership agreement again and it contradicted what I was told. The person said my up front last month may "disappear" because it's a new gym. Uh.... Anyway, I'm supposed to get a call from a higher up. It's only over $30 (though I'm going to ask for $60 at this point for the July that I've been charged and won't use) but this is a fucking disaster. No one knows what's going on and the person I talked to on the phone basically admitted that.
Is it a chain, or corporate owned gym?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Is it a chain, or corporate owned gym?
Quasi-locally based chain took over all the 24 Hour locations in KC and closed three within 18 days of the merger being official

the letter they had to members announcing the closure of the locations was dated "Monday, July 26"
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

After David Lee Roth left the band the first time, Van Halen wanted Daryl Hall to replace him as lead singer.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

But he couldn't go for that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Like Kleenex, Q Tip and Xerox, Dumpster is a trademarked brand name word that has become a generic eponym. Did not know that.

So when you describe the latest Trump antic as a Dumpster fire, please capitalize.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

howard wrote:Like Kleenex, Q Tip and Xerox, Dumpster is a trademarked brand name word that has become a generic eponym. Did not know that.

So when you describe the latest Trump antic as a Dumpster fire, please capitalize.
Band-Aid, too.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:
howard wrote:Like Kleenex, Q Tip and Xerox, Dumpster is a trademarked brand name word that has become a generic eponym. Did not know that.

Band-Aid, too.
Vaseline.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It's a long list. Shit, would've made a good swampcrash question.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When I got a one pointer, how would you disprove my contention that in the Hudson valley people call all orange soda "Sunkists"?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Wiki. Holder of all knowledge in the universe, arbiter of all trivia contests in the early 21st century.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If it was a Swampcrash question, we'd have to exclude items that are only used that way in certain regions.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like "xerox" because normal people call them copiers.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I took a management class almost 30 years ago, when I worked for Boeing, and in it they told us to watch out for people who take sick days on Friday or Mondays, because that may be a sign of a substance abuse problem.

I think of that every time I have to take a sick day on a Friday (like I did today).