Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6364
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Giff » Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Gonna get tex-mex from my wife's favorite place for her birthday next week.
I need to learn more about Tex-Mex. Is there like a good primer?
Yeah, don't get it outside of Texas.
Muh.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16158
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by A_B » Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Giff wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
mister d wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Gonna get tex-mex from my wife's favorite place for her birthday next week.
I need to learn more about Tex-Mex. Is there like a good primer?
Yeah, don't get it outside of Texas.
There used to be a really good Tex Mex carryout place here in town. Was so sad when it closed. Was a great go to for lunch nursing a hangover.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7848
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by govmentchedda » Tue May 05, 2020 2:34 pm

I eat takeout most work days for lunch, and get it probably 1-2x a week for dinner with the family. I've also been doing a ton more cooking, and cannot recommend following @frankprisinzano on Instagram enough. He's fantastic.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by DSafetyGuy » Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm

Having a hard time trying to figure out what else to order out that will survive the ride home from the restaurant. Not a whole lot in our small town that will suffice for both adult and kid. Like, the idea of getting Red Robin to get their fries sounds great, but the ensuing ten minutes from leaving the restaurant and driving home would likely ruin them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6031
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Nonlinear FC » Tue May 05, 2020 3:41 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Gonna get tex-mex from my wife's favorite place for her birthday next week.
I need to learn more about Tex-Mex. Is there like a good primer?
The most common thing is that Mexican food doesn't use cheddar cheese. Other differences are with things like enchiladas and tacos. They're gonna be on both menus, but there are subtle differences (Tex Mex will offer a hard shell taco, while Mex is exclusively soft corn tortilla. Enchiladas have different toppings, too.

Most Americans, when they say they're going out for Mexican food... They're eating Tex Mex and don't know it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4459
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by BSF21 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:45 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm
Having a hard time trying to figure out what else to order out that will survive the ride home from the restaurant. Not a whole lot in our small town that will suffice for both adult and kid. Like, the idea of getting Red Robin to get their fries sounds great, but the ensuing ten minutes from leaving the restaurant and driving home would likely ruin them.
I’ve had fries twice in the last 2 months, and both were ok at best because of the trip home. Put it on the “first order of biz back at the bar” list.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13808
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by rass » Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm

Had fries last weekend for the first time in months. The place is only a couple of minutes away and they were still in pretty good shape. Downed them all before I touched any wings.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21313
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs
Contact:

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by brian » Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm
Having a hard time trying to figure out what else to order out that will survive the ride home from the restaurant. Not a whole lot in our small town that will suffice for both adult and kid. Like, the idea of getting Red Robin to get their fries sounds great, but the ensuing ten minutes from leaving the restaurant and driving home would likely ruin them.
Chinese? Usually keeps pretty well in transit.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by P.D.X. » Tue May 05, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm not usually the 'craving' type, but I'd murder for this.


User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13808
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by rass » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Chinese places around here seemed to have been hit pretty hard by a lack of business pre-quarantine. My go-to spent some time giving out meals in early March and hasn’t reopened since. Local FB goes nuts whenever someone find another place that is open.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 19431
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by mister d » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:41 pm
mister d wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm
Gonna get tex-mex from my wife's favorite place for her birthday next week.
I need to learn more about Tex-Mex. Is there like a good primer?
The most common thing is that Mexican food doesn't use cheddar cheese. Other differences are with things like enchiladas and tacos. They're gonna be on both menus, but there are subtle differences (Tex Mex will offer a hard shell taco, while Mex is exclusively soft corn tortilla. Enchiladas have different toppings, too.

Most Americans, when they say they're going out for Mexican food... They're eating Tex Mex and don't know it.
I think where I struggle is I'd know hard shell tacos aren't Mexican, but I don't know if they're Tex-Mex or just supermarket bullshit.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Sabo » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

rass wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 pm
Had fries last weekend for the first time in months. The place is only a couple of minutes away and they were still in pretty good shape. Downed them all before I touched any wings.
We've ordered fries from two different places. One shipped them in a plastic container and the other used a cardboard container. The cardboard fries were far crispier because the steam from the hot fries was able to escape.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21313
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs
Contact:

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by brian » Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 pm

rass wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm
Chinese places around here seemed to have been hit pretty hard by a lack of business pre-quarantine. My go-to spent some time giving out meals in early March and hasn’t reopened since. Local FB goes nuts whenever someone find another place that is open.
This surprises me a little because most Thai and Chinese places here (at least the local joints) seemed to mostly do take-out to begin with.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13808
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by rass » Tue May 05, 2020 4:35 pm

I thought it was just my place until the desperate FB posts looking for take out started. All 3* in close proximity to home are closed. There are two Thai places, a Korean fried chicken and Vietnamese all open. I think the “Chinese virus” did them in.

*there used to be a fourth, but it closed and reopened as a taco place, but it was still run by Asians. The food was meh, the lack of house made salsa killed it for me
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by sancarlos » Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 pm

We are also trying to support the local restaurants by getting takeaway food every week and a half or so. We’re lucky. Just about every ethnic food you can think of is available around here. Hope they all make it.

I like Tex-mex and other Mexican, but my favorite is southern Mexican food, distinguished by heavy use of tomatillos.

And, any family place with an old grandma helping run it is probably great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

duff
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by duff » Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am

BSF21 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you call soda "pop".
Which is what it's called.
Every fizzy drink is Coke unless it's Mountain Dew. Sorry I don't make the rules around these parts I just follow em.
You are not a true Hoosier. It is a pop. Pure and simple. Soda is water, and a coke is a Coke.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

duff
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by duff » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am

We are bummed because our favorite pizza place has shuttered during the quarantine. I am glad they are doing it because it shows they care about their workers and everything, but damn are we craving their food.

We are also in the same boat as Drug Safety in that nothing really holds up on the drive home. Only one place in town that delivers, and it is just "meh".
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4459
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by BSF21 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 am

duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you call soda "pop".
Which is what it's called.
Every fizzy drink is Coke unless it's Mountain Dew. Sorry I don't make the rules around these parts I just follow em.
You are not a true Hoosier. It is a pop. Pure and simple. Soda is water, and a coke is a Coke.
If you've got a problem with Coke people yous gotta problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7775
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Ryan » Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 am

You mean "let that one lowry's"

ETA: Lawry's. Shit.
Last edited by Ryan on Wed May 06, 2020 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

duff
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by duff » Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am

BSF21 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 am
duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you call soda "pop".
Which is what it's called.
Every fizzy drink is Coke unless it's Mountain Dew. Sorry I don't make the rules around these parts I just follow em.
You are not a true Hoosier. It is a pop. Pure and simple. Soda is water, and a coke is a Coke.
If you've got a problem with Coke people yous gotta problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.
I now realize why we called it Nobletucky.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4459
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by BSF21 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 am

duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am
BSF21 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 am
duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Also if you call soda "pop".
Which is what it's called.
Every fizzy drink is Coke unless it's Mountain Dew. Sorry I don't make the rules around these parts I just follow em.
You are not a true Hoosier. It is a pop. Pure and simple. Soda is water, and a coke is a Coke.
If you've got a problem with Coke people yous gotta problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.
I now realize why we called it Nobletucky.
Aren't you a region rat anyway?

(considers starting a hoosierfight thread...)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6364
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Giff » Wed May 06, 2020 8:18 am

Image

Had this last night. Those are banana peppers and we added garlic sauce.
Muh.

duff
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by duff » Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 am

BSF21 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 am
duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am
BSF21 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 am
duff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am
BSF21 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm


Which is what it's called.
Every fizzy drink is Coke unless it's Mountain Dew. Sorry I don't make the rules around these parts I just follow em.
You are not a true Hoosier. It is a pop. Pure and simple. Soda is water, and a coke is a Coke.
If you've got a problem with Coke people yous gotta problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.
I now realize why we called it Nobletucky.
Aren't you a region rat anyway?

(considers starting a hoosierfight thread...)
I grew up just outside of Anderson
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 am

brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm
Having a hard time trying to figure out what else to order out that will survive the ride home from the restaurant. Not a whole lot in our small town that will suffice for both adult and kid. Like, the idea of getting Red Robin to get their fries sounds great, but the ensuing ten minutes from leaving the restaurant and driving home would likely ruin them.
Chinese? Usually keeps pretty well in transit.
While I would like that, it is a non-starter in our house otherwise. My wife does not like Chinese food* and the one time we tried orange chicken (presumably the most innocuous dish of Chinese food) with the kids, it was a bust.

* - My wife claims to not like Chinese food, but also is the only one of us who wants to go to PF Chang's and almost always orders orange chicken at Cheesecake Factory. There are days when I seriously wonder about the alternate timeline created by changing an answer to one question from "yes" to "no".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Sabo » Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 am

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 am
brian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm
Having a hard time trying to figure out what else to order out that will survive the ride home from the restaurant. Not a whole lot in our small town that will suffice for both adult and kid. Like, the idea of getting Red Robin to get their fries sounds great, but the ensuing ten minutes from leaving the restaurant and driving home would likely ruin them.
Chinese? Usually keeps pretty well in transit.
While I would like that, it is a non-starter in our house otherwise. My wife does not like Chinese food* and the one time we tried orange chicken (presumably the most innocuous dish of Chinese food) with the kids, it was a bust.

* - My wife claims to not like Chinese food, but also is the only one of us who wants to go to PF Chang's and almost always orders orange chicken at Cheesecake Factory. There are days when I seriously wonder about the alternate timeline created by changing an answer to one question from "yes" to "no".
Generally, I do not like Chinese food either, but I love almost every other Asian cuisine. I think it's because most Chinese restaurants use pre-made sauces and condiments, so everything tastes the same.

ETA: Chinese food tends to be much less spicy than Thai or Vietnamese food, and I much prefer spiciness over blandness.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 19431
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by mister d » Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am

I too can't stand chinese food, although I'd like to try Mission or a similar place and see if its just because I don't like most takeout and have never "eaten in".
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Sabo » Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am

mister d wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am
I too can't stand chinese food, although I'd like to try Mission or a similar place and see if its just because I don't like most takeout and have never "eaten in".
I will say Ala Shanghai in Albany is the best Chinese food I've ever had. It's not even in the same league as your typical Chinese take out place.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7848
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by govmentchedda » Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 am

Blasphemists, all of you.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16181
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Pruitt » Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 am

I love good Chinese food and can't stand the bad shit.

Sadly, no good ones in my neighbourhood.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Joe K » Wed May 06, 2020 10:31 am

Sabo wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am
mister d wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:52 am
I too can't stand chinese food, although I'd like to try Mission or a similar place and see if its just because I don't like most takeout and have never "eaten in".
I will say Ala Shanghai in Albany is the best Chinese food I've ever had. It's not even in the same league as your typical Chinese take out place.
I grew up in the Albany area and this is stunning to me — I definitely would not expect it to have an incredible Chinese restaurant. (Apparently Ala Shanghai opened about 18 months after I last lived in Albany.)

I’m not a big fan of Chinese food either (I prefer Japanese and Thai) but will say the best I’ve ever had is at a dim sum place in San Francisco Chinatown.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Sabo » Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am

Joe K wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:31 am
I grew up in the Albany area and this is stunning to me — I definitely would not expect it to have an incredible Chinese restaurant. (Apparently Ala Shanghai opened about 18 months after I last lived in Albany.)
The former editor of the Albany Business Review spoke fluent Mandarin and would go to China every year as part of a journalism outreach program. And every so often, some Chinese journalists would come to Albany and the editor would take them to Ala Shanghai. Apparently they would rave about the food. Every time I went to Albany for work, the editor would take me and anyone else there and order for us, and we were served amazing food. It's one of those ethnic restaurants where you enter and you see the place is packed with folks of that ethnicity. That's always a good sign that the food is excellent and authentic.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7775
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Ryan » Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am

Sabo wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 am
It's one of those ethnic restaurants where you enter and you see the place is packed with folks of that ethnicity. That's always a good sign that the food is excellent and authentic.
Like Chicken Guy
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 19431
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by mister d » Wed May 06, 2020 10:46 am

"Excuse me, which part of asia are you from?"
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by P.D.X. » Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 am

govmentchedda wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 am
Blasphemists, all of you.
I'm just assuming they've never had good dim sum.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by sancarlos » Wed May 06, 2020 11:10 am

So, years ago, my wife's "work husband" was a Chinese-American guy. One night, he invited us to join him and his wife in San Francisco to get some "real" Chinese food. We have lots of Asians and Asian food in our little suburb, so I didn't think it would be much different. We ended up in the bowels of San Francisco Chinatown. My wife and I were the only non-Chinese in the building. The host greeted my wife's friend warmly, in what I assume was Cantonese or Mandarin or something, seated us in the corner, and took off to the kitchen. Wife's friend said, "we aren't going to order - the owner is picking out some entrees for us." Holy shit. I didn't recognize anything on the table after that. It was pretty good, but I was amazed how different it was than what I was used to from garden-variety Chinese restaurants.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12123
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by The Sybian » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

Most Americanized Chinese food is crap, but it's about the only crap food I eat. I've found some really good places, but it's almost impossible to find a place that actually serves spicy food. I don't get it. I had a summer internship in Boston that was near Chinatown. Worked with a Chinese guy who was thrilled to take me to authentic places. Always a great sign being the only White person in a restaurant, pretty much regardless of ethnicity of patron or type of cuisine. At first he would just try to gross me out for his amusement by ordering things like giant prawn heads and congee soup which is a porridge/soup hybrid with the consistency of a bowl of mucus. I'll try just about anything, and learned that shrimp really should be served with heads on, because that's where all the flavor lives, so he gave up quickly and just ordered us the best dishes at each restaurant. It was glorious. I never understood why places like this don't offer their authentic dishes on the English menu. I'd try to take friends to these restaurants and the menu was the usual takeout greasy slop by the usual names. I used to go to an authentic Chinese place near Rockefeller Center that did offer English translations on their Chinese menu, but the descriptions were super bare minimal. "Chicken in good sauce," "salty shrimp" so I never knew what I was going to get, but that's half the fun.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6880
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by tennbengal » Fri May 08, 2020 4:30 pm

I’m gonna pound this bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon while I make fajitas. Just fucking because.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6880
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by tennbengal » Fri May 08, 2020 4:33 pm

What I learned was - fuck it. Why not.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by P.D.X. » Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Wow. 3 minutes.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6880
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by tennbengal » Fri May 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Also. Wine is good sometimes. This is one of those times.

Post Reply