Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Racism

Post by duff »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 pm “Just wait until you meet my brother”—Patsy Tebeau, probably
That pussy only played two games.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Ice Box" is a great nickname.

(I can only assume that it is a nickname)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:07 am "Ice Box" is a great nickname.

(I can only assume that it is a nickname)
Rick Moranis agrees
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 pm
Rex wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 pm “Just wait until you meet my brother”—Patsy Tebeau, probably
That pussy only played two games.
He was better in football, but he couldn't throw a forward pass very well.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:26 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 pm I wonder if there will be a push to get rid of the word "Chief" in the military for some of our ranks.

I would think not since "Chief" is more a word to give leadership roles and responsibilities to with respect and admiration than appropriate Native culture. But we'll see.
Probably in the clear, as dictionary.com has the origin going back to the 13th century.
So the Native American's appropriated the term from the Europeans! Let's take it back!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:01 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:26 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:15 pm I wonder if there will be a push to get rid of the word "Chief" in the military for some of our ranks.

I would think not since "Chief" is more a word to give leadership roles and responsibilities to with respect and admiration than appropriate Native culture. But we'll see.
Probably in the clear, as dictionary.com has the origin going back to the 13th century.
So the Native American's appropriated the term from the Europeans! Let's take it back!
Yes, white people should absolutely win for once.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Isn't there a bridge the gap transition that could be done. Especially where you have a name you don't have to change. You just add a secondary logo, then make the 2nd logo more prominant, and then just swap.

So I went to Franklin Senior High. Named after Benjamin Franklin (Founded in 1820). So it makes sense that our mascot was the Indians. And sometimes it was the Big Red Indians. My cheerleader friend from the Philippines was often the one dressed in the headdress and warpaint on the sidelines. The mid 90s were a different time. So I figured, Baltimore Co might have some pressure for mascot naming. Nothing that I can tell. The logo is an vertical stylized FHS with a Feather hanging off of it (that is different from when I was there). I can see the school slowly migrating away from the logo and then remascoting.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Why do you even have to bridge the gap? If an owner was told some new logo could make them $30MM in additional apparel sales if they could implement it in a week, they'd implement it in a week.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:55 pm Why do you even have to bridge the gap? If an owner was told some new logo could make them $30MM in additional apparel sales if they could implement it in a week, they'd implement it in a week.
Because you can get that $ anyway (see NHL retro reverse jerseys or what not) and you don't want the PR headache (Because it really is just PR not reality about people burning their gear, "never watching again", etc.). On the PR thing..DC is a great example. Team wins 4 games in a row and nobody is really that worried about the fact they are the WFT. More worried about if they will keep wearing the sharp white-white jersey combo.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So anyone else tracking the USSF fiasco this weekend? Not often you see the 7-a-side paralympic team member creating a media storm.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What a jackass.

"Social media gestapo..."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'd bet you my last donut this guy gave that tirade of a speech in order to run for political office.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

pretty interesting background that does not point liberal
Lakeland Florida now lives in Tampa
played soccer for St. Andrews (college)
worked for a Police Department.
3 tours in Afghanistan (Army Special Ops)
injured in combat as a government security contractor
climbed mountains after disability and found professional Muay Thai in Thailand, MMA in Europe, and drove F1 cars in European circuits (not sure what that means)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

JFC, another Tampan up to no good?! Had no idea he was from around here.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm What a jackass.

"Social media gestapo..."
He said "my apology letter:" and his second sentence starts with "I will never apologize for the statements I made."

Uh, I'm not sure you know how this works.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 pm
Was he wearing a Papa John monogrammed shirt?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Better excuses. Better racism.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Racist rues that he has to change his racist ways when called out for being racist?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you gave me 20 months I bet I could stop saying the word "the".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 pm If you gave me 20 months I bet I could stop saying the word "the".
Yeah, he’s not trying very damned hard if it takes that long.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This revelation is screaming for an SNL skit, but I'm sure they're to afraid of the blowback.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Is good energy a racist innuendo or something? I can't figure out what's wrong here.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He used an antisemitic slur in a first person shooter game streamed on Twitch. Not smart anywhere, but especially so when you play for the Heat.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

For added oomph it was presumably not long after he tweeted the above, right?

And he was an "I respect my teammates but I love the military so I'm gonna stand during the anthem" guy last summer.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Check the pause before the K bomb.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ha. Bo Burnham made that joke.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Blood sugar n word drop. Ooooooooo kkkkkkkkkk.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just as much bullshit as in Meyers Leonard's apology.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:24 pm Wait until they hear about this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/spor ... -nytsports
Originally quoted from the 2020 NFL off-season thread, the race-norming suit was thrown out this week. So yes, racism (and the NFL) gets another win.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

JFC. Professional sports might be the most able of any industry to determine the educational backgrounds of all their employees. This should be a massive scandal but I’m sure won’t be.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I haven't heart much chatter if any here. What are your guys thoughts on the Derek Chauvin case? Do you think he's getting off?

Normally, I would say he probably would be acquitted. But in the change over the last few years, coupled with that one conviction when the female cop entered the wrong apartment and shot the black guy just watching tv, and later was convicted of (IIRC) 2nd degree, I feel like he's getting at least voluntary manslaughter.

But I am sad to say that if he gets convicted of merely a minor charge it wouldn't at all surprise me.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think he's getting a murder rap. Haven't the police said that isn't in their training? Basically disavowing him.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, there's really not much the defense has now. The testimony yesterday that a healthy person would've died too was pretty damning, IMO. Also, the bystander testimonies are just gut-wrenching. The guilt they're going to carry the rest of their lives because of this racist piece of shit is so sad. And the defense trying to paint them as angry is just infuriating.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am Yeah, there's really not much the defense has now. The testimony yesterday that a healthy person would've died too was pretty damning, IMO. Also, the bystander testimonies are just gut-wrenching. The guilt they're going to carry the rest of their lives because of this racist piece of shit is so sad. And the defense trying to paint them as angry is just infuriating.
I haven't followed directly, but hear commentary on a couple of podcasts (Preet Bharara an Elie Honig, both former Federal Prosecutors) and they are both amazed by the strength of the prosecutions case. They were surprised at the number of police officers testifying on behalf of the prosecution, including the Chief and the guy in charge of training. They also had the firefighter who witnessed it, and bystanders who called 911 on the police! I think they even played the call in court. The judge allowed them to play the entire 8+ minutes recording... I can't see how Chauvin isn't convicted of something here, but with a jury, you just never know. You just need one pro-Cop juror to refuse to convict, and you have a hung jury.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 am
Giff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am Yeah, there's really not much the defense has now. The testimony yesterday that a healthy person would've died too was pretty damning, IMO. Also, the bystander testimonies are just gut-wrenching. The guilt they're going to carry the rest of their lives because of this racist piece of shit is so sad. And the defense trying to paint them as angry is just infuriating.
I haven't followed directly, but hear commentary on a couple of podcasts (Preet Bharara an Elie Honig, both former Federal Prosecutors) and they are both amazed by the strength of the prosecutions case. They were surprised at the number of police officers testifying on behalf of the prosecution, including the Chief and the guy in charge of training. They also had the firefighter who witnessed it, and bystanders who called 911 on the police! I think they even played the call in court. The judge allowed them to play the entire 8+ minutes recording... I can't see how Chauvin isn't convicted of something here, but with a jury, you just never know. You just need one pro-Cop juror to refuse to convict, and you have a hung jury.
The 911 dispatcher who took the call called his supervisor while it was going on! I think even having one pro-cop juror isn't as big a worry here when so many cops are testifying against him.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto