Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Racism

Post by Jerloma »

Aussie rules Aboriginal football player has 13 year old girl thrown out of game for calling him an ape. I just have to say...I absolutely loathe the idea of "Ape" being a racist term. I know what the implication is but it's just fucking stupid and represents a complete ignorance of phylogeny. There's nothing inhuman about being an ape...that's exactly what we are. It's as accurate as calling someone a human being.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Re: Racism

Post by rass »

So if "ape" is OK based upon that reasoning, what about "monkey"? A branch too far?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

APE CULTURE!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:So if "ape" is OK based upon that reasoning, what about "monkey"? A branch too far?
Yes...our taxonomic category is Ape. Not monkey. Ape isn't going anywhere. They've taken one of the few terms that's actually inclusive of all humans, instead of all these divisive labels we like to wear as a badge of honor, and made it derogatory.

I think that's terrible.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

EDICT:

From this point on, all determinations as to whether terms are, or are not racist shall be made by Colin Montgomerie.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:So if "ape" is OK based upon that reasoning, what about "monkey"? A branch too far?
To add to this, Monkey would be like calling someone a Gorilla or a Bonobo. It's not inclusive of humans and could therefore be considered inhuman and thus racist. But if you were to categorize humans in a group inclusive of monkeys, you would call them primates and that would be completely accurate as well.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Good point, homo.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What about "pedant?" Is that offensive?
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shirley wrote:What about "pedant?" Is that offensive?
I want to live in a world where ignorance isn't celebrated. If that makes me a pedant than I take it as a compliment. More importantly though, I don't want my kids being outcasts just because I taught them science.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Have you taught them context?
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

rass wrote:Have you taught them context?
Problem with context is, as is usually true in these issues, whose context matters most? The one saying it or the one hearing it? Since today's reality is it's usually the one hearing it, it's usually deemed racist, regardless of the context it was actually said in. PC muckiness in the end. Those who want to be offended can usually find a way to be offended.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I have. It's the people who don't understand context that I'm worried about.

What Doc said too.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

OK. Here's what you do. You go meet up with Howard. You have him take you deep into Harlem. Then you jump out and start calling people "ape." Then you let us know if it's racist.

Consider it a scientific experiment.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:OK. Here's what you do. You go meet up with Howard. You have him take you deep into Harlem. Then you jump out and start calling people "ape." Then you let us know if it's racist.
In that context, it is racist because you're specifically directing it at black people. It's also racist what the girl in the football game did. I'm only saying that I hate that such a diverse, inclusive term came to be used as a derogatory term towards a group of them with a darker skin variation. That is the epitome of ignorance.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

SportsDoc wrote:
Problem with context is, as is usually true in these issues, whose context matters most? The one saying it or the one hearing it? Since today's reality is it's usually the one hearing it, it's usually deemed racist, regardless of the context it was actually said in. PC muckiness in the end. Those who want to be offended can usually find a way to be offended.
And, to be sure, there are racist comments made frequently yet unintentionally, that are still racist.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:OK. Here's what you do. You go meet up with Howard. You have him take you deep into Harlem. Then you jump out and start calling people "ape." Then you let us know if it's racist.
In that context, it is racist because you're specifically directing it at black people. It's also racist what the girl in the football game did. I'm only saying that I hate that such a diverse, inclusive term came to be used as a derogatory term towards a group of them with a darker skin variation. That is the epitome of ignorance.
OK. Then, as the control part of your experience, hop on the subway to Southie ( Feel free to subsititute a hard, predominately white section of any large town at your convenience. Forgive my ignorance.) and start doing the same. You can have howard drive you there, too if you prefer to keep the variables the same.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

I hoped for a minute you were kidding. Then realized you aren't.

Good luck with that.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

So faggot I guess is the most racist term because in both situations that would fire them up the most.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Call the blacks water buffalo! They freak out about that and you'll get kicked out of college.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
OK. Then, as the control part of your experience, hop on the subway to Southie ( Feel free to subsititute a hard, predominately white section of any large town at your convenience. Forgive my ignorance.) and start doing the same. You can have howard drive you there, too if you prefer to keep the variables the same.
I'm sorry, but you can continue throwing strawmen at me all you like but feel free to show me where I said that I didn't understand that it was a racist term. Oh...you made that part up?

I don't understand "why" it's a racist term.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Icepenis wrote:So faggot I guess is the most racist term because in both situations that would fire them up the most.
One variable at a time, iceepenis!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

elflaco wrote:I hoped for a minute you were kidding. Then realized you aren't.

Good luck with that.
Good luck with what? Attempting to have a fucking semi-intelligent conversation with Swampers before they resort to straw men and ad-hominems for no particular reason?
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Jerloma wrote:I hate that such a diverse, inclusive term came to be used as a derogatory term towards a group of them with a darker skin variation. That is the epitome of ignorance.
Wait.... You're surprised that people ignorant enough to generalize and label an entire race of people as "sub-human" were behaving like the epitome of ignorance? Did you expect these people to consult their Funk & Wagnell before calling someone names?
Jerloma's erudite racist wrote:"Hey, Billy Joe Bob, get me that en-sigh-clo-pedya, I wants to make sure I'm not using this insult all improper-like afore I tell that boy off."
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

ZMan wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I hate that such a diverse, inclusive term came to be used as a derogatory term towards a group of them with a darker skin variation. That is the epitome of ignorance.
Wait.... You're surprised that people ignorant enough to generalize and label an entire race of people as "sub-human" were behaving like the epitome of ignorance? Did you expect these people to consult their Funk & Wagnell before calling someone names?
Jerloma's erudite racist wrote:"Hey, Billy Joe Bob, get me that en-sigh-clo-pedya, I wants to make sure I'm not using this insult all improper-like afore I tell that boy off."
Alright...well that's a great point. No, I probably shouldn't be, I guess.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Jerloma wrote:

i can't decide if this is racist. or districtist.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Consider it a scientific experiment.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Is this supposed to be taken in the same context as a White American kid calling a Black American man an "ape"? If so, it's worth remembering that Australia ain't America and Aboriginal-Australian ain't African-American.

My first two thoughts were that "ape" was a comment on Adam Goodes' intelligence rather than his race and that, Googling images of him, without the beard he looks more Iberian or Mediterranean than anything else. Or a Roberto Luongo sort of Italian. Even bearded (as in that video) he looks kinda Mesopotamian.

I'd equate "ape" with words like "oaf or "buffoon" or "dolt" before I'd equate it with any of the more severely harsh words I've heard used toward Aboriginals. Although based on the extensive research I've just done (about 30-seconds on Google), "Rock Ape" appears to be somewhat common in the Aussie vernacular, perhaps akin to the American use of "spook" or "coon" or "cracker" or "honky" or "litigator".

Oddly, just today the president of another AFL club called him "King Kong".
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't know...good questions. I've actually most commonly heard the word ape used as a derogatory term towards a person with a particularly large amount of body hair. This might be to indicate (wrongly) that the person is somehow less evolved than a smoother fellow and that may be the same reason that people use it as a racial term.
howard
Karl Hungus

No, the other Heisenberg

Post by howard »

Still dead, right?

ETA:
You can fox the fox
Rat on the rat
You can Ape the Ape
I know about that!

Something knocked me out the trees
Now I'm on my knees

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Scottie wrote:Is this supposed to be taken in the same context as a White American kid calling a Black American man an "ape"? If so, it's worth remembering that Australia ain't America and Aboriginal-Australian ain't African-American.
I don't think the comparison really should be to America, because thankfully, whites don't call Blacks apes in public settings.

But many places in Europe are notorious for having soccer fans make monkey chants and throw bananas at black players.

I think that is the proper context.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Scottie wrote:Is this supposed to be taken in the same context as a White American kid calling a Black American man an "ape"? If so, it's worth remembering that Australia ain't America and Aboriginal-Australian ain't African-American.
I don't think the comparison really should be to America, because thankfully, whites don't call Blacks apes in public settings.

But many places in Europe are notorious for having soccer fans make monkey chants and throw bananas at black players.

I think that is the proper context.
That actually makes sense. If you're going to be a racist douche, monkey works. As does silverback or chimp or bonobo. But "ape" is just entirely missing the point.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Off the subject, but I think it's almost ironic that SportsDoc debates this while sporting the Fighting Sioux logo, which spurs its own dialogue on the subject.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:What about "pedant?" Is that offensive?
I want to live in a world where ignorance isn't celebrated. If that makes me a pedant than I take it as a compliment. More importantly though, I don't want my kids being outcasts just because I taught them science.
See, you're applying scientific, pedantic meaning to a common English language word. Language outside of science isn't nearly so precise. In common English usage, ape essentially means the same thing as gorilla or even chimpanzee.

This is similar to debates over what is a fruit or vegetable. Scientifically, a tomato, zucchini, or eggplant is a fruit, but people would generally consider those vegetables and wouldn't expect to find any in a fruit salad.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know. My grievance is completely over a commonly accepted case of semantics and I'm over-analyzing the shit out of it. That's what I do. Some people fuck peacocks...I over-analyze shit.
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

sancarlos wrote:Off the subject, but I think it's almost ironic that SportsDoc debates this while sporting the Fighting Sioux logo, which spurs its own dialogue on the subject.
Speaking of which, the last gasp legal attempt against the NCAA to keep the name was thrown out of Federal Court this week.

That final court attempt was initiated by the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe. It was continued even after both UND and the State Board of Higher Ed had dropped all appeals. It was continued even after the state and the school said it would not go back regardless of the outcome of the suit by Spirit Lake.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Talk about your fighting Sioux!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Relevant. Charlton Heston, Racist.

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:I know. My grievance is completely over a commonly accepted case of semantics and I'm over-analyzing the shit out of it. That's what I do. Some people fuck peacocks...I over-analyze shit.
Idiot. You'd fuck a peafowl.

You're not gay.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Irrelevant. Heathcliff, weird, but probably not Racist.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Some people fuck peacocks...
Idiot. You'd fuck a peafowl.
So, this explains Chris Andersen
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…