Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Racism

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 am
rass wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:55 am Billy Ray Cyrus, huh?
Certainly not a fan, but good on him for trying to help out.
He's probably more woke than about 90 percent of the guys in Nashville (at a minimum) so he's definitely earned some respect for me, especially w/r/t this situation.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I wanted to make a joke like this, but coming from a white guy I couldn't put it in a way that wouldn't sound racist, so...

Also, the song is pretty good.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Interesting article on Player's Tribune from Kyle Korver ...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... h-jazz-nba
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 am Interesting article on Player's Tribune from Kyle Korver ...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... h-jazz-nba
Very interesting indeed.

He sums up so much in two sentences.
As white people, are we guilty for the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"But there's no more racism. We elected a black president." those fuckwads on FoxNews.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, this thing about the Cub fan doing the OK/White Power symbol on camera behind Doug Glanville ...

what the fuck is the "Circle Game"? Is that really a thing? Am I out of it that much?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

At Lightning games they do a Standing Salute in the second period, honoring a local serviceman or woman. One of them at a game did this symbol whilst being shown on the jumbotron and it really pissed me off, until I remembered the Circle Game.

It's really hard to determine intent, and Circle Game loyalists are not ceding their corner.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 am At Lightning games they do a Standing Salute in the second period, honoring a local serviceman or woman. One of them at a game did this symbol whilst being shown on the jumbotron and it really pissed me off, until I remembered the Circle Game.

It's really hard to determine intent, and Circle Game loyalists are not ceding their corner.
Apparently the Cubs figured out who the guy was and checked his social media output, and concluded pretty strongly that he was doing it as the white power symbol.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cubs were due to get one right here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am Cubs were due to get one right here.
No shit. It's so strange to see "the Cubs did it right" about something off the field.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And they had the leeway to let this slide, either by not being able to prove who it was or allowing ambiguity in the signal. So nice work there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am And they had the leeway to let this slide, either by not being able to prove who it was or allowing ambiguity in the signal. So nice work there.
In all honesty, with the shit they are getting for Russell, and the Rickettses, and Sinclair, I don't think they had much leeway with a big part of their fanbase.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So what is this "Circle Game"? This is the white power shit that collection of punchable, bussed-in-from-Kentucky faces did in DC a few months ago?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... cle%20Game

I did this in tech school a bunch of years ago. You trick the other person into looking at the circle below the waist. There's almost a natural inclination to "look" because of movement or because someone is telling you to do something and you're fighting the temptation

Ever have someone shove a fork full of food to your face and go "Oh man, you have to taste this!" and you just automatically do it without thinking what the hell you just ate? It's like that but for your eyes.

It's a juvenile game that ends with a laugh or a punch. Similar to getting "iced" or whatever.

Racist white people co-opted it because it intentionally obfuscates intent and they have an easy out when caught doing it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's a sickening sign of where we are at the moment when a guy feels emboldened enough to make that sign on television.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm It's a sickening sign of where we are at the moment when a guy feels emboldened enough to make that sign on television.
Or behind a Supreme Court nominee...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And see, that's exactly the thing they hide behind. It's a dumb, fratty way to bastardize a situation. Like throwing up a middle finger during a news person who's on site.

Except there's a clear position to do the "ok" symbol to convey "ok." Like this:

And when you play The Circle Game, it's like this:

But that woman is clearly communicating "I'm a white supremacist." Her hand is in neither position. And she's sitting behind Mr. I Like Beer Rapist Man.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm It's a sickening sign of where we are at the moment when a guy feels emboldened enough to make that sign on television.

That chick's not white. Maybe a few generations from an African, or at the very least I'm guessing a Spaniard or three had their way with her ancestors back in Ireland?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tila Tequila isn't white either. But, ya know..

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:15 pm

That chick's not white. Maybe a few generations from an African, or at the very least I'm guessing a Spaniard or three had their way with her ancestors back in Ireland?
How is she not white? And since when are Spaniards not white?
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:15 pm

How is she not white? And since when are Spaniards not white?
In the context of white nationalism in America? No. I’m well aware of Spain’s myriad of issues re: nationalism, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm It's a juvenile game that ends with a laugh or a punch. Similar to getting "iced" or whatever.

Racist white people co-opted it because it intentionally obfuscates intent and they have an easy out when caught doing it.
That explains it. I remember that silly game from junior high. Had no idea it became something else.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Look at this racist POS

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Turning Point USA Boots Member After Viral 'White Power' Video
Turning Point USA, the nationwide alt-right campus organization, voluntarily ousted a member of its University of Nevada Las Vegas chapter early Friday morning after a viral video showed several individuals yelling “White Power” and “fuck the niggers.”

It’s Going Down, an anarchist and anti-fascist news organization, discovered the video, which shows a young man whom It’s Going Down identified as Riley Grisar, the president of the UNLV’s TPUSA chapter. In the video, the man flashes the “OK” hand symbol, which has been used as a meme, dog whistle, and racist symbol by various elements of the alt-right, and repeatedly says “white power,” while hugging a young woman who shouts “we’re going to rule the country” and “fuck the niggers.”
Of course they were doing the White Power/Ok hand thing...
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:46 pm Turning Point USA Boots Member After Viral 'White Power' Video
Turning Point USA, the nationwide alt-right campus organization, voluntarily ousted a member of its University of Nevada Las Vegas chapter early Friday morning after a viral video showed several individuals yelling “White Power” and “fuck the niggers.”

It’s Going Down, an anarchist and anti-fascist news organization, discovered the video, which shows a young man whom It’s Going Down identified as Riley Grisar, the president of the UNLV’s TPUSA chapter. In the video, the man flashes the “OK” hand symbol, which has been used as a meme, dog whistle, and racist symbol by various elements of the alt-right, and repeatedly says “white power,” while hugging a young woman who shouts “we’re going to rule the country” and “fuck the niggers.”
Of course they were doing the White Power/Ok hand thing...
Serious question, whats a dog whistle? In this context, obviously, before Delaware posts a picture of an actual whistle used to train dogs.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dog whistle is something that wouldn’t be obvious to many or most people but is for the people it’s intended for. Perfect fit in this case because if you read the comments on these stories there’s lots of dopes who say stupid shit like “lol dumb libtards are trying to say OK sign is racist now”.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

UNLV is where Tammy Lahren went to college, coincidentally.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“Thug” is a big dog whistle.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 am Dog whistle is something that wouldn’t be obvious to many or most people but is for the people it’s intended for. Perfect fit in this case because if you read the comments on these stories there’s lots of dopes who say stupid shit like “lol dumb libtards are trying to say OK sign is racist now”.
gotcha, basically a slur that only some people can hear because other people dont realize what it is?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 am
brian wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 am Dog whistle is something that wouldn’t be obvious to many or most people but is for the people it’s intended for. Perfect fit in this case because if you read the comments on these stories there’s lots of dopes who say stupid shit like “lol dumb libtards are trying to say OK sign is racist now”.
gotcha, basically a slur that only some people can hear because other people dont realize what it is?
But the slur doesn’t involve any subtext.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just allows for plausible deniability. When people respond to the OK sign or whatever with “doesn’t that mean _______ could be made one too”, the answer is always “yes”.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dude's been killing it, recently. I'm glad to see some good is coming out of that bullshit from a couple months ago.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The guy I hate for calling my fiance the N word had a Kramer moment on Facebook and i am reallllly fucking enjoying it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 am Dude's been killing it, recently. I'm glad to see some good is coming out of that bullshit from a couple months ago.

Just the most bizarre cultural phenomenon since ... maybe Gangnam Style?

I kind of feel bad for this dude, because he's never topping this. He'll be doing that song for the rest of his life.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gonna make enough money to put his kids through college though.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:27 pm Gonna make enough money to put his kids through college though.
Yeah, I only kinda feel bad. He's making a ton of money, but will probably be the butt of jokes in a year or two.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:27 pm Gonna make enough money to put his kids through college though.
Billy Ray can tell him a thing or two about one hit wonder-hood.