Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Racism

Post by Pruitt »

We just watched "Walk The Line" - the Johnny Cash movie.

My wife was wondering what Johnny's first wife looked like in real life.

Her in the movie.

Her in real life.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yikes. Tiffani's eyes are way too close together to pull that role off.

(I just looked again and it's not Tiffani but maybe that girl from that terrible cult movie but I'm keeping the original version.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:... terrible cult movie ...
Big Love?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:We just watched "Walk The Line" - the Johnny Cash movie.

Her in the movie.

Her in real life.

I read two of Johnny Cash's autobiographies. He was a very open-minded guy, but despite appearances in that picture, he was not married to a black woman. He said she was Sicilian and that he met her at a roller skating rink in San Antonio while she was still in high school. I'm pretty sure that rink would have been whites-only, and an African-American girl wouldn't be admitted there with whites in San Antonio in the early-1950s.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy crow!

Well then I take back my "whitewash" complaint.

Tangentally to this thread - Walk The Line was good, but having seen (and loved) Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, gotta say, I liked the comedy version better.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:
Pruitt wrote:We just watched "Walk The Line" - the Johnny Cash movie.

Her in the movie.

Her in real life.

I read two of Johnny Cash's autobiographies. He was a very open-minded guy, but despite appearances in that picture, he was not married to a black woman. He said she was Sicilian and that he met her at a roller skating rink in San Antonio while she was still in high school. I'm pretty sure that rink would have been whites-only, and an African-American girl wouldn't be admitted there with whites in San Antonio in the early-1950s.

Clifford: No, i-i-it's a fact. You see, uh, Sicilians have black blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, you see, the Moors conquered Sicily. And the Moors are niggers.

Coccotti: Yes...

Clifford: So you see, way back then, uh, Sicilians were like, uh, wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but, uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, well, they changed the whole country. They did so much fucking with Sicilian women, huh? That they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it's absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that, uh, that Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. Now this...

[Coccotti laughs]

Clifford: No, I'm, no, I'm quoting...history. It's written. It's a fact, it's written.

Coccotti: [laughing] I love this guy. [stumbling on words through his laughter] This guy.

Clifford: Your ancestors are niggers! Uh-huh.

[Coccotti is cracking up with laughter]

Hey. Yeah. And, and your great-great-great-great grandmother fucked a nigger, ho, ho, yeah, and she had a half-nigger kid... now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 'Cause you, [points at Coccotti] you're part eggplant.

[All laughing]

Coccotti: Ohhh!

Clifford: Huh? [while twisting his index finger in the air] Hey! Hey! Hey!

Coccotti: You're a cantaloupe. [laughing] Ohhh! This guy, beautiful.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote:...'Cause you, you're part eggplant...
People these days use emojis on social media all the time. The one for expressing you want to give the girl the D is the eggplant. For however long they've done this, no one I've seen or read has ever made the connection of its racial undertones.

Melanzana means eggplant in Italian. And a derivative (possibly Sicilian, but at least proper Italian), mulignan - pronounced like moul-in-yan - means eggplant, but in the specific context of calling a black person the N word. I guess the idea was "You're so black, you're purple" when the insult was initially formed? I'm curious about that. (Shortened even further for English vernacular is moolie.)

So basically, every time a text is exchanged with an eggplant, the dude doesn't realize he wants to give the girl the black D. I find this lack of self awareness hysterical (especially when white people do it.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:a couple weeks ago an older gentleman told me in his day i wouldve been arrested for dating a black woman and that sometimes he wishes america could go back to a "simpler time" where people stayed with their own kind. shit pisses me off. i really hate texas sometimes
Bit of a stretch to call him a gentleman.
its actually a pretty common sentiment. people seem divided between the "yall would make beautiful mixed babies" & i wish the supreme court had gotten loving vs. virginia ruled the right way crowds. not a ton of middle ground. also had someone inform my lady that she was a race traitor because my great grandparents probably rapes her great grandparents. you be surprised what old people have the balls to say to your face
Still blows my mind that people would give a fuck. But yeah, there really is no middle ground, either you think interracial couples are an abomination, or you don't give a fuck. [or if you are TT, you only give fucks to black girls, right?]

As for the beautiful mixed babies thing, I could see getting sick of hearing that as a joke, but to be perfectly honest, mixed race people on aggregate are objectively better looking. Not even debatable.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:a couple weeks ago an older gentleman told me in his day i wouldve been arrested for dating a black woman and that sometimes he wishes america could go back to a "simpler time" where people stayed with their own kind. shit pisses me off. i really hate texas sometimes
Bit of a stretch to call him a gentleman.
its actually a pretty common sentiment. people seem divided between the "yall would make beautiful mixed babies" & i wish the supreme court had gotten loving vs. virginia ruled the right way crowds. not a ton of middle ground. also had someone inform my lady that she was a race traitor because my great grandparents probably rapes her great grandparents. you be surprised what old people have the balls to say to your face
Still blows my mind that people would give a fuck. But yeah, there really is no middle ground, either you think interracial couples are an abomination, or you don't give a fuck. [or if you are TT, you only give fucks to black girls, right?]

As for the beautiful mixed babies thing, I could see getting sick of hearing that as a joke, but to be perfectly honest, mixed race people on aggregate are objectively better looking. Not even debatable.
i once banged a chinese girl.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So is this shit happening more now, or are we just able to hear about more through social media etc.? I have to think that with the Jewish cemetery thing, that wasn't happening before the last couple of weeks. I think we'd have heard about it if it had been. But who the fuck knows.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
So is this shit happening more now, or are we just able to hear about more through social media etc.? I have to think that with the Jewish cemetery thing, that wasn't happening before the last couple of weeks. I think we'd have heard about it if it had been. But who the fuck knows.
I read a number of Jewish media outlets, and we Jews are very good at looking out for events like this. There's been nothing like this for a while that I heard of. And the bomb threats are a new thing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:
I read a number of Jewish media outlets, and we Jews are very good at looking out for events like this. There's been nothing like this for a while that I heard of. And the bomb threats are a new thing.
I think it is happening more frequently because those who do these acts have recently come to feel much more empowered.

Or maybe I'll just ask around at my son's day care, where they never had any issues during the three years preceding January.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

28 More Bomb Threats

Jewish Community Centres and Schools.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:28 More Bomb Threats

At what point do the JCCs stop taking these threats seriously?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

Scarily, that might be the idea. Though if you think like a terrorist not sure why you'd call a bomb threat in in the first place if you were really looking to hurt anyone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

When I was a kid, there was a bomb threat called into my family's synagogue on the first night of Rosh Hashana (a busy, busy night - one night where the synagogue's are packed).

Got to be 40 years ago. Ever since that night, every sizeable synagogue or Community Centre or school has had a security guy at the door. Busy nights, there will be cops as well.

However, on a typical day like today, there'll be a run of the mill security guy. At my synagogue, it's usually a 70 year old man who sits by the door. No help at all if some asshole wants to run in adn do something terrible.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

It's one thing for me to write
DSafetyGuy wrote:I fully believe this is just scare tactic bullshit and that nothing will happen to this specific one.
But, I am very happy they are taking them seriously and expect they will continue to do so. We're not pulling him out of their day care, but there are many people who have. That is more than enough reason to take them seriously.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

DSafetyGuy wrote:I fully believe this is just scare tactic bullshit and that nothing will happen to this specific one.
But, I am very happy they are taking them seriously and expect they will continue to do so. We're not pulling him out of their day care, but there are many people who have. That is more than enough reason to take them seriously.
I suppose, but this is so clearly just some morons with burner phones, that I hate seeing everyone jump to their tune.

If the JCCs here are anything like the one in Salt Lake, they aren't hurting for cash. They can afford to put in some motion-sensor cameras to watch the place at night and maybe add overnight security guards to watch the entrances. Then, they can tell these fuckers that they aren't shutting down in response to a bomb threat unless the caller can tell them exactly where the bomb is and how he knows it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You're right... but still.

This was taken by a security camera. (Dylann Roof)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Think Trump would be silent about "coordinated" bomb threats called into Sunday masses around the country?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Think Trump would be silent about "coordinated" bomb threats called into Sunday masses around the country?
I think it's obvious that he personally wouldn't give a shit if bombs destroyed all types of houses of worship across the country. But if Hannity was pissed, than he'd do something.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:You're right... but still.

This was taken by a security camera. (Dylann Roof)

But that is a completely different kind of threat.

Regardless of whether a bunch of day care centers evacuate every time some asshole calls in a threat, every JCC, every church, and just about every other day care facility in the country is vulnerable to someone walking in heavily armed.

Edit: My suggestion regarding security cameras was to enable the powers that be at a JCC to see if someone really did enter the building overnight to plant a bomb. If no one did, and if you also had security guys watching the doors all night who report that nothing happened, then you can be pretty damned sure any anonymous vague bomb threat is bullshit.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:

I suppose, but this is so clearly just some morons with burner phones, that I hate seeing everyone jump to their tune.

If the JCCs here are anything like the one in Salt Lake, they aren't hurting for cash. They can afford to put in some motion-sensor cameras to watch the place at night and maybe add overnight security guards to watch the entrances. Then, they can tell these fuckers that they aren't shutting down in response to a bomb threat unless the caller can tell them exactly where the bomb is and how he knows it.
My self-quoted comment above illustrates that I don't like seeing them jump to their tune, too.

That said, what if they don't jump and it turns out to not be a BS threat? When is taking that risk acceptable? While I don't think it's going to happen, I don't fully trust that the owner of this truck can't be swayed into doing research online.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote:That said, what if they don't jump and it turns out to not be a BS threat? When is taking that risk acceptable? While I don't think it's going to happen, I don't fully trust that the owner of this truck can't be swayed into doing research online.
That is always the hard part, whatever the risk. When do you start having your kid in the front seat when you drive? When do you let your son walk around the block on his own? When do you let your daughter take the bus?

I guess if the number of bombings-preceded-by-phoned-in-warnings is zero, it's a safe risk to take. Especially if you can use things like security cameras to confirm that, no one entered the building during the off hours to plant a bomb.

Of course, it's not my kids.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Edit: My suggestion regarding security cameras was to enable the powers that be at a JCC to see if someone really did enter the building overnight to plant a bomb. If no one did, and if you also had security guys watching the doors all night who report that nothing happened, then you can be pretty damned sure any anonymous vague bomb threat is bullshit.
Understood.

In Toronto, the JCCs and the larger Jewish High Schools have all the bells and whistles when it comes to security.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A simpler time where you could have challenged him to a duel on the spot?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Gunpowder wrote:

A simpler time where you could have challenged him to a duel on the spot?
you have to admit it was nice demanding satisfaction
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

True...there's a reason we made that shit illegal, brah.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'd just whip out my glove, smack him upside the head with it, and then say "Sorry, I forgot my foil. There shall be no duel today. Let that be a lesson to you, good sir!"
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Another Week, Another Series of Bomb Threats

The Toronto Jewish Community Centre houses a school.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Bomb Threats Against Jewish Community Centres Across The USA

Second time in a week there've been mass threats. Trump's "Movement" gathers force.
The one in Syracuse was the second time where my son attends day care. They evacuated yesterday.
And a second evacuation for him.
Up to four threats, still holding at two evacuations.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:Israeli-American Jew Suspected of Calling in Threats

Did not see this coming...
A disappointing aspect of this is that when there are future instances of anonymous racial/religious abuse, the Trumpians will say it was probably done by one of their own.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Israeli-American Jew Suspected of Calling in Threats

Did not see this coming...
A disappointing aspect of this is that when there are future instances of anonymous racial/religious abuse, the Trumpians will say it was probably done by one of their own.
My wife just said pretty much the same thing - the words "Jewish" and "Conspiracy" go so well together for so many people.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

wow

If white men no longer had the vote, the progressive cause would be strengthened.

I guess all the work you guys have done has come to nothing.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You have to love a preposition where paradoxical disillusionment is somehow logical. Take away all the rights of one group and it's "progressive."

For reference of the writer:

Shelley Garland is an activist and a feminist and is currently completing an MA degree in philosophy. When she’s not gagging at South Africa’s unique brand of rainbow politics, she’s working on ways to smash the patriarchy.
Basically, this meme needs an update:

These are people that deserve to be ignored. But if I ignore them, that's the patriarchy holding them down.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's like Jezebel-level shit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They adapted the movie into a series and it looks like a lot of the same people are in it:

https://youtu.be/oYKgHvPVACE
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

degenerasian wrote:wow

If white men no longer had the vote, the progressive cause would be strengthened.

I guess all the work you guys have done has come to nothing.
That's a modern A Modest Proposal, right?
Totally Kafkaesque