Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Racism

Post by mister d »

"Lets role play this one ..."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"...who is currently in jail for 14 years convicted of second degree murder of her boyfriend."

So, was he about to say the N word there? Otherwise, I don't get being mortified about his dramatic pause. She was black. She falsely accused 3 white men of rape. And she's a shit human being. And the ESPN 30 for 30 about this was excellent.

Was it just not the time to bring it up? Or could it have been prefaced better? The way in reading this it seems like a bunch of white people are afraid of something they shouldn't be.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If she was white he wouldn't have specified Uhhh Caucasian woman, right? Us and them -ing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Regardless of the unfortunate pause, he also didn't specify the race of the lacrosse players, which offensively suggests white is the default while anything else is 'other.'
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Moreta wrote:Regardless of the unfortunate pause, he also didn't specify the race of the lacrosse players, which offensively suggests white is the default while anything else is 'other.'
Jim brown isn't walking through thAt door!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote:"...who is currently in jail for 14 years convicted of second degree murder of her boyfriend."

So, was he about to say the N word there? Otherwise, I don't get being mortified about his dramatic pause. She was black. She falsely accused 3 white men of rape. And she's a shit human being. And the ESPN 30 for 30 about this was excellent.

Was it just not the time to bring it up? Or could it have been prefaced better? The way in reading this it seems like a bunch of white people are afraid of something they shouldn't be.
He never mentioned why the color of her skin was relevant. It was about how he'll never leave Bryant because the President there was the only one that gave him a chance when nobody else would touch him. Trust me, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but the only conclusion to be drawn is that black women are more likely to be false rape accusers.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gotcha. I just failed to read like that initially.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mike Pressler is the head coach. 4-year starter and captain of both football and lacrosse team at my alma mater. I have crossed path with him a few times; we played Duke in a scrimmage a couple of years (which was Duke doing us a favor more than us doing them any good in the preseason) and a lacrosse alumni game. I also know a ton of folks who played for him at Duke. Those who know him personally think very highly of him on all aspects. Only people I have ever met who don't speak highly of him are those who only know his name through the media.

Pressler will never leave Bryant because they were the only ones who would give him the time of day. My school had just let the lacrosse coach go/he stepped down (not sure which way it was) after the season. The story is Pressler was interested in the job. The AD met him in a roadside diner in VA. Would not even meet him on campus. Basically said they could not even consider him. The media had not switched against the DA and the accuser.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Mouth agape that this is from 2016.

This "humorous" report manages to continually conflate a number of Asian ethnicities into one big yellow mob. But as O'Reilly says "it was all in good fun."

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This is why there's no conservative version of Colbert/TDS. They can do yelling and outrage and stuff, but humor is beyond them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:This is why there's no conservative version of Colbert/TDS. They can do yelling and outrage and stuff, but humor is beyond them.
Yep, the subtlety of satire is a delicate thing. When it comes from a place of fear, hate or sense of superiority, it will never be funny.

Always cracks me up when Conservatives say Liberals have no sense of humor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Fucking idiots. Only reason I watched is I've been working down there two days a week for a year, and I'm getting to know the area better. (That vegetarian dim sum place is pretty good.) But that was just ignorant and unfunny. The martial arts studio was a korean dojo, judging by the huge fucking flag on the wall.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Fucking idiots. Only reason I watched is I've been working down there two days a week for a year, and I'm getting to know the area better. (That vegetarian dim sum place is pretty good.) But that was just ignorant and unfunny. The martial arts studio was a korean dojo, judging by the huge fucking flag on the wall.
And Mr. Miyagi from Karate Kid! What kind of on air apoplexy would Fox have if they came across a report from China that made fun of Americans.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Emmett Till Memorial Shot Up
The sign has been vandalized before, the first time in 2008, but no arrests have been made, according to WJTV.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

after putting my relationship status on fb, a relative of mine messaged me to express disappointment in me for being a "niggerloving" race traitor. i fucking hate texas sometimes.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote:after putting my relationship status on fb, a relative of mine messaged me to express disappointment in me for being a "niggerloving" race traitor. i fucking hate texas sometimes.
Jesus, some of you people have the worst families. Fuck that guy. Let me guess, he gets pissed off when someone has the audacity to imply he is a racist. You posted something the other day about reactions you and your girlfriend get, and it caught me off guard. Interracial couples are just completely normal in my sheltered existence. Blows my mind why anyone gives a fuck.
-Pruitt
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

wasnt a guy. was a female cousin. redneck beer drinkimg trump voter. and yes we get looks and shit treatment. its not common in this part of the south
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TT2.0 wrote:wasnt a guy. was a female cousin.

For some reason, that makes it seem worse.
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

The Sybian wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:wasnt a guy. was a female cousin.

For some reason, that makes it seem worse.
Men don't have the market cornered on being complete wastes of oxygen.

I know backlash is normal and this kind of thing never went away but it sure feels like this country has take a huge step backward lately. :(
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Weep For Bo Bice

Early contender for story of the year.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote:Weep For Bo Bice

Early contender for story of the year.

There's a level of manipulation going on here that is usually found in people with personality disorders.

Probably along a similar vein of Curt Schilling.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thought this was bumped over the nauseating story out of Chicago yesterday.

It's disgusting and heartbreaking. And even when the captors clearly say "Fuck Donald Trump! Fuck white people!" the Chicago police text with this:
Chicago police say they're investigating the motive, but "we do not believe the victim was targeted because of his race or because of a political affiliation," Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Thursday.
It's make this situation 1,000 times worse. It's fucking ridiculous.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought I read the victim knew at least one of the kidnappers? If so, isn't it possible that the impetus behind this was something else? That should at least make it worth waiting before getting #BLMKidnapping trending (that you're doing that).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm helping make that hashtag trend? You can't be serious. BLM being blamed for this makes no sense. That part I seriously don't get. That's like blaming ISIS for the Orlando night club shooting.

No, I'm just looking at a video that's pretty clearly obvious. I understand the need to let the investigation happen and let the situation breathe, but the cops clearly don't know how to handle media relations when they've jumped immediately to "we don't think it's race related." I'm not hung up on the politics portion of that.

4 white people doing this to a black individual with special needs would certainly not get that treatment.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck. I meant to have not there dude. Cmon.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote:Fuck. I meant to have not there dude. Cmon.
Ok, good...cuz I was about to say "FUCK YO NFL MOBILE. #YourFootballWatchingLifeDoesntMatter."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bomb Threats Against Jewish Community Centres Across The USA

Second time in a week there've been mass threats. Trump's "Movement" gathers force.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DETECTIVE: "WHY DID YOU MAKE ALL THOSE THREATENING CALLS TO THE JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTERS???"

SUSPECT: "I was anxious about the economy."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:Bomb Threats Against Jewish Community Centres Across The USA

Second time in a week there've been mass threats. Trump's "Movement" gathers force.
The one in Syracuse was the second time where my son attends day care. They evacuated yesterday.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Bomb Threats Against Jewish Community Centres Across The USA

The one in Syracuse was the second time where my son attends day care. They evacuated yesterday.
Luckily too young to have to explain things.

My daughter's school was evacuated about a decade ago. That was bad enough. But a cross-country campaign like this?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I thought the right wanted to support Israel at every turn?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

govmentchedda wrote:I thought the right wanted to support Israel at every turn?
Israel, yes. American Jews, not so much. American Christian supremacists generally back Israel because it has a super right-wing government and is viewed as superior to Palestinian Muslims. On the flip side, hard core Zionists have given Trump a pass for Bannon's anti-Semitism because Trump's pick for Israeli Ambassador is a serious anti-Palestinian bigot.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My head is spinning.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

govmentchedda wrote:My head is spinning.
I agree it seems illogical but Netanyahu's government actively celebrated Trump's election despite Bannon and the anti-Semitism from Trump supporters. That's because they know Trump won't care about continued settlement expansion or any other forms of anti-Palestinian oppression.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote:
Israel, yes. American Jews, not so much. American Christian supremacists generally back Israel because it has a super right-wing government and is viewed as superior to Palestinian Muslims. On the flip side, hard core Zionists have given Trump a pass for Bannon's anti-Semitism because Trump's pick for Israeli Ambassador is a serious anti-Palestinian bigot.
And they want to bolster Israel while encouraging Israel to abuse Palestinians, hoping the rest of the Arab world will start the Apocalypse so they can Rapture out of here.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not a matter of the right or the left, these are hardcore racists feeling a bit more empowered. Same guys who'd call in threats to mosques.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote:
Not a matter of the right or the left, these are hardcore racists feeling a bit more empowered. Same guys who'd call in threats to mosques.
Yeah, I get that. Strange bedfellows though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
Yeah, I get that. Strange bedfellows though.
No fucking kidding.

I've never been one to cry "fascist," but if this continues, what you'll have is a ruling class of absolutely ruthless rich guys and whatever power they can't enforce from the top will be enforced by goons from the lower rungs of society.

Christ, 8 years is a long time. I remember watching Obama's inauguration and actually choking up at a couple points. I won't write out and commit to a post as to what I would like to see happen at this inauguration.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote:
Joe K wrote:
And they want to bolster Israel while encouraging Israel to abuse Palestinians, hoping the rest of the Arab world will start the Apocalypse so they can Rapture out of here.
But the rest of the Arab world could give a fuck about Palestinians.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote:
But the rest of the Arab world could give a fuck about Palestinians.
Is that a Sunni/Shia thing?
-Pruitt