D&D Anyone?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

D&D Anyone?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm just throwing this out there:

I played a bit of D&D as a freshmen in high school and then just... stopped.

A few weeks ago, my son asked if I wanted to join in on a game being DM'd by our neighbor, and including his brother. I was all in. Problem is, that guy DMs like 5 other sessions and we've only gotten together three times over the course of 2 months.

So, I'm in no position to DM (I'm still getting up to speed on the rules), but I'd totally be into joining a Zoom call on a somewhat regular basis.

Anyone up for this, or should I stow my nerd flag for the time being?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Re: D&D Anyone?

Post by Sabo »

I am game, depending on which rule set we use. If it's Advanced D&D (i.e., the one we grew up with), then I'm willing to be the DM.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:24 pm I am game, depending on which rule set we use. If it's Advanced D&D (i.e., the one we grew up with), then I'm willing to be the DM.
I see a lot of saving throws for tick exposure if that's the case.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 pm
Sabo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:24 pm I am game, depending on which rule set we use. If it's Advanced D&D (i.e., the one we grew up with), then I'm willing to be the DM.
I see a lot of saving throws for tick exposure if that's the case.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

In. Haven't played an actual tabletop game since c.1990, but should remember enough from video games, etc.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know if you guys are familiar with My Brother My Brother and Me, but they spun off their normal advice podcast into something called The Adventure Zone. They played about 4 full seasons/quests of D&D before getting into other RPGs (which I wasn't a big fan of, frankly.)

Anyways, I started re-listening to that before getting into our neighborhood game. It was a pretty good primer, though they tend to chuck some of the more technical (and clunky) aspects of the game aside for entertainment purposes. (Like, they don't really mess too much with trekking to and fro, or get much into someone's speed and things like that. They also never really establish the base level of pack they carry. They are also fairly ridiculously powered up pretty early on, which makes them absolute demolish most opponents.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pmAnyways, I started re-listening to that before getting into our neighborhood game. It was a pretty good primer, though they tend to chuck some of the more technical (and clunky) aspects of the game aside for entertainment purposes. (Like, they don't really mess too much with trekking to and fro, or get much into someone's speed and things like that. They also never really establish the base level of pack they carry. They are also fairly ridiculously powered up pretty early on, which makes them absolute demolish most opponents.)
It all depends on how detailed the DM wants to be. I don't think encumbrance should matter that much, but skill sets and personal inventories should. For example, if a group is entering a cave system but no one has experience with spelunking, or no one has a rope in their inventory then the group should be penalized in some way. Details matter, but they shouldn't make the game less fun.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son highly recommends Roll 20 for facilitating the game.
https://roll20.net/
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I've never DnD'd because I grew up being told that it was how you summon Satan. /utah
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 pm I've never DnD'd because I grew up being told that it was how you summon Satan. /utah
My sixth-grade teacher wrote my parents a warning letter because I was playing D&D during recess.

And look at how I turned out!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:35 pm My son highly recommends Roll 20 for facilitating the game.
https://roll20.net/
Also a great site for info... almost like a wiki for DnD.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 pm I've never DnD'd because I grew up being told that it was how you summon Satan. /utah
We grew up during the Satanic Panic, so that sentiment wasn't unique to Utah.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, I love playing D&D with my kids. I played it when I was a kid and then introduced it to mine about ten years ago. They immediately loved it. The trick is just finding the time. It takes a long time. We started up a new round of encounters this summer since we're all here, but we've really only been able to carve out time a couple of times. We Zoom my bro-in-law in as well.

So, yeah, in theory I'd love to play, but in practice, I know I won't be able to make it happen. And if I did, my kids would be mad at me for playing with y'all instead of them!

(We play v4 by the way, since that's what was out when we started. The official rules are v5 now, but we've spent a ton on books, so we're sticking with 4.)
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I am up for playing. I haven't played since 92 or so. It would be awesome to get a regular game going.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I played one time. The Dungeonmaster had me discover some fucking hammer called the Thundercracker in the first 30 minutes or so and then killed me for not having the power to wield it like 10 minutes later. I assume it was some weird initiation, but fuck that. I just played Super NES the rest of the night.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:48 pm I played one time. The Dungeonmaster had me discover some fucking hammer called the Thundercracker in the first 30 minutes or so and then killed me for not having the power to wield it like 10 minutes later. I assume it was some weird initiation, but fuck that. I just played Super NES the rest of the night.
That guy was a dick. I doubt whoever ends up running this one would do something like that (unless it's Jerloma).
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pierce Hawthorn would totally do that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I played a TON the summer between 8 and 9th grade. A friend had a pool in his backyard, and we would gather there in the afternoons/evenings and play D&D between jumping in the pool.

When we started high school, my friends said 'hey, there's a wargaming club that meets at lunch! Lets check it out'. I went into the room, took one look at the guys there, and noted there were no girls, and said 'Yeah, no thanks'.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm I am up for playing. I haven't played since 92 or so. It would be awesome to get a regular game going.
Ditto here except swap 92 for 02. I'd learn some new stuff.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:48 am
duff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 pm I am up for playing. I haven't played since 92 or so. It would be awesome to get a regular game going.
Okay Jr.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

But I'm an old soul!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm sitting in my neighbor's basement, next to my son. There's a DM and a party of 6.

I'm a Dragonborn Ranger, 4th Level at this point.

We have been playing since August.

Having an absolute blast.

Would still be into a Zoom/Online game if anyone is still interested.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I would play. Never have, but would play.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 pmI'm a Dragonbo...n...er, 4th Level at this point.
This is all I see.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:48 am
Make it 82 for me, but schedule permitting, I’d be into it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'd be in as well.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DOVAHKIIN!

Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

the standard Dragonborn character is more a fighter than a Ranger, so I took some liberties.

I'd be all over this, but I'm in grad school.
Noli Timere Messorem