2020 NBA Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs

Post by Johnnie »

Seeing Rajon Rondo get a title with the Lakers was like seeing Johnny Damon get a title with the Yankees.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm
He just looks like a hater though by giving "Golden State" 6, when the Warriors only won 4 there and won their first 2 in Philly.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm
He just looks like a hater though by giving "Golden State" 6, when the Warriors only won 4 there and won their first 2 in Philly.
I was about to say the same!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

LeBron didn't need any more validation, but I think this season took Anthony Davis' star status to another level. He was always ridiculously talented and a statistical monster but didn't get the chance to shine in the playoffs with the Pelicans. He was awesome all season long, and especially dominant in the playoffs. Considering that he's still only 27 years old, the Lakers are set up for the longterm assuming he signs a max extension there.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 pm LeBron didn't need any more validation, but I think this season took Anthony Davis' star status to another level. He was always ridiculously talented and a statistical monster but didn't get the chance to shine in the playoffs with the Pelicans. He was awesome all season long, and especially dominant in the playoffs. Considering that he's still only 27 years old, the Lakers are set up for the longterm assuming he signs a max extension there.
And lebron is almost certainly content to be the point forward and cede to Davis as he “declines”. AD learned a lot this postseason.

AD could absolutely be the guy who goes to finals every year same as lebron has been.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Joe K wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 pm LeBron didn't need any more validation, but I think this season took Anthony Davis' star status to another level. He was always ridiculously talented and a statistical monster but didn't get the chance to shine in the playoffs with the Pelicans. He was awesome all season long, and especially dominant in the playoffs. Considering that he's still only 27 years old, the Lakers are set up for the longterm assuming he signs a max extension there.
And lebron is almost certainly content to be the point forward and cede to Davis as he “declines”. AD learned a lot this postseason.

AD could absolutely be the guy who goes to finals every year same as lebron has been.
AD definitely complements LeBron’s skill set more than Wade, Kyrie or anyone he’s ever played with. Between them you get a very efficient 50-60 ppg, strong rebounding, plus perhaps the best passer and best interior defender in the entire league. I was very skeptical of the supporting cast but when you get that much from your top 2 guys no one else needs to do much other than play hard and understand the schemes.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Didn't watch the finals but seems like NBA usually proves two isn't enough. Center can be hard to find anyway but couple that with plus plus offense and trouple with a power forward with PG skills and there are many many many different combinations of 6-7 other skill sets that can win a title. The rest arent even hard to find. When you have scoring guards or wings like lots of teams you still need hard to fill spots.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gun to your bellybutton, if you had to win the 2021 NBA Championship and were told "you pick the first two players and the rest we'll fill in randomly", is there anyone who wouldn't still have LeBron? Like could you really feel good even with Giannis and Luka(?) knowing they could face LeBron in the finals?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's still Lebron.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am Gun to your bellybutton, if you had to win the 2021 NBA Championship and were told "you pick the first two players and the rest we'll fill in randomly", is there anyone who wouldn't still have LeBron? Like could you really feel good even with Giannis and Luka(?) knowing they could face LeBron in the finals?
This is basically how the Lakers were constructed and they just ripped off a #1 seed regular season and 16-5 playoff run.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah lebron and ad especially since the rest are random.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

To add to the craziness of whether the Minneapolis titles should count in LA is this story I had heard of but never knew the specifics of:

The day that the Celtics lost 13 rings

I've always been fascinated by the history of NBA franchises and this is really, really cool to read.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:14 pm To add to the craziness of whether the Minneapolis titles should count in LA is this story I had heard of but never knew the specifics of:

I've always been fascinated by the history of NBA franchises and this is really, really cool to read.
So, long story short, the San Diego Clippers are among the winningest storied franchises in NBA history. The Celtics, not so much.

Heh, heh.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Awesome.

This was basically a deployment for a good deal of people to make the logistics work. So some extra cash and time off is perfect.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Trump’s version of reaching out for NBA fan/African-American votes:
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:14 pm To add to the craziness of whether the Minneapolis titles should count in LA is this story I had heard of but never knew the specifics of:

That's wild. Never heard that story before.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

If Morey re-hires his former protege Sam Hinkie then The Process is truly complete!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You beat me by a minute!

(Also note that Doc Rivers signed there to coach recently.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Oh for fuck's sake. So not only we're going to keep getting bounced in Round 2 (at best), now we're going to have to watch a less effective version of "Harden and four guys standing around". And now the Hinkie-stans are going to come out of the woodwork again.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:14 pm Oh for fuck's sake. So not only we're going to keep getting bounced in Round 2 (at best), now we're going to have to watch a less effective version of "Harden and four guys standing around". And now the Hinkie-stans are going to come out of the woodwork again.
that offense only exists because Harden exists ... why would a team play like that if it didn't have James Harden on its team?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yeah, I know. I was trying to get a rise out of Giff.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You'll have to forgive bronto. Writing bad takes just to get attention is a completely foreign concept to him.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:27 pm You'll have to forgive bronto. Writing bad takes just to get attention is a completely foreign concept to him.
there have been so many bad takes on this board lately that it's hard to tell satire!!!!!!!!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 pm Yeah, I know. I was trying to get a rise out of Giff.
I laughed.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Doc Rivers is probably at least a marginal upgrade over Brett Brown, and Morey is a big upgrade over Elton Brand and whoever else was making front office decisions over the last 2 years. But it’s weird to hire a big name coach before hiring a big name exec in the same offseason. Normally you hire the exec first, and then let him pick the coach.

I just hope Morey’s algorithms can come up with a way to convince the Knicks to take a bad contract if the Sixers throw in some draft picks.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Two things:

And:

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I wonder what the odds are Paul gets traded next offseason, figuring enough of him rubs off on Booker, Bridges, and Ayton on one season to reap the benefits while moving him (and his then-expiring deal) onto his next team in need of veteran culture before he starts to chafe the young guys and one of them wants out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”