2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Post by Johnnie »

I don't have kids, but seeing an adult put his face into the face of a child like that is severely off-putting.

And as a dude who will never have kids, and when I was single knowing not to be around another child without that child's parent present, I was taught that you should try to be eye level with a kid and not bent over staring down. Looks very domineering. Especially when you consider he's very scared of being in public because of a stutter.

The encouraging words are one thing. Boosting a young kid's self esteem is definitely the point. But the way it's set up in that environment looks very, very weird.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:51 am
P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 am Is the 'no consent' thing verified, or are we just assuming that?
I’m assuming that dad didn’t explicitly state “here’s my kid, do as you wish”. I’m assuming Biden’s handlers didn’t let him know that Biden would be manhandling his kid as much as he did. Again, I don’t think Biden is a pedo, I think Biden thinks he’s everyone’s grandfather.
I don't like Joe's touching either but it's also fair to assume that a parent/guardian would be told what would happen to their child in a planned shoot.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

(And I'm just as skeeved when he took the stage with Kamala and put his hand on her lower back to "guide" her to her podium. That's some trump-level domineering patriarchal bullshit right there.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 am Is the 'no consent' thing verified, or are we just assuming that?
I’m assuming that dad didn’t explicitly state “here’s my kid, do as you wish”. I’m assuming Biden’s handlers didn’t let him know that Biden would be manhandling his kid as much as he did. Again, I don’t think Biden is a pedo, I think Biden thinks he’s everyone’s grandfather.
I don't like Joe's touching either but it's also fair to assume that a parent/guardian would be told what would happen to their child in a planned shoot.
“Ok stuttering kid’s dad, VP Biden may hug, caress and nuzzle your child, but it’s ok because he used to stutter also”.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:26 am
bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am I’ll ask the parents in here, you’d be ok with a stranger rubbing his head against your kid, hugging them without consent, putting their hands on your kids’ face? Someone needs to tell him to stop that shit. I don’t question that his intentions are pure and good, but that looks horrible and is inappropriate.
God our society is so fucking stupid.
Penn State people feel differently about kid touching.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:35 am What a helpful comment. Care to elaborate?
I am pretty sure JB was just encouraging and embracing the kid.. He bent down, got close to hear him. I am sure kid was nervous and probably wasn't talking loud and JB wasn't able to hear him. In terms of touching it may come off as creepy, but let's not forget Joe is how old, his idea of embracing is a little different then it is now.

You Trump people find the dumbest shit to get fired up over. But when my hero was as corrupt, in denial with his people getting arrested, said it was ok to grab female's pussies, made fun of a disabled person, and told 3 US born congress ladies and another who is a citizen to go back to their countries, I would probably do the same.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:35 pm
bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am I’ll ask the parents in here, you’d be ok with a stranger rubbing his head against your kid, hugging them without consent, putting their hands on your kids’ face? Someone needs to tell him to stop that shit. I don’t question that his intentions are pure and good, but that looks horrible and is inappropriate.
Yeah you are right, we are all pedophiles and enablers. What a great argument.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:34 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm
“Ok stuttering kid’s dad, VP Biden may hug, caress and nuzzle your child, but it’s ok because he used to stutter also”.
Well, taking my position to a comical extreme sure reveals the error of my stance. I retract forthwith!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah well the facts kinda show that maybe yall have a higher threshold... But no, Biden probably isn't a molester. Probably. He just does more creepy shit that makes you ask.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

psunate77 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 pm
You’re babbling and sound silly. I’m no Trump person. I’m all for Biden no question. My point was it looked creepy but was innocent. But they need to consider the optics of him rubbing children given the way Trump and his cult will go after him.

As for the PSU comment, I do love a nice piece of low hanging fruit.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:46 pm
psunate77 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 pm
You’re babbling and sound silly. I’m no Trump person. I’m all for Biden no question. My point was it looked creepy but was innocent. But they need to consider the optics of him rubbing children given the way Trump and his cult will go after him.

As for the PSU comment, I do love a nice piece of low hanging fruit.
The kiss was too much.

And it doesn’t get lower hanging than melon.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pmI don't like Joe's touching either but it's also fair to assume that a parent/guardian would be told what would happen to their child in a planned shoot.
It’s like how you let a new dog smell your hand first to get comfortable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

JFC it didn’t even occur to me that it could even possibly be thought of as creepy. No, I wouldn’t have a problem if someone did that to my kid in that kind of setting.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah we just let politicians get a little handsy with our kids cause we know it's a media stunt? Sure hope that kids knows he's just playing a stutterer on TV. Otherwise he might think that's what old guys do when they like you.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:44 pm Yeah we just let politicians get a little handsy with our kids cause we know it's a media stunt? Sure hope that kids knows he's just playing a stutterer on TV. Otherwise he might think that's what old guys do when they like you.
Did Joe grab his dick or something?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve, take every weird contact and turn it to Trump and a 13 year old girl and tell me it’s fine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:16 pm Steve, take every weird contact and turn it to Trump and a 13 year old girl and tell me it’s fine.
Does she stutter?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or for fun say it’s the same stuff but Romney and a 13 year old girl or Graham and a 13 year old boy ... then decide if the action is weird.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:19 pm Or for fun say it’s the same stuff but Romney and a 13 year old girl or Graham and a 13 year old boy ... then decide if the action is weird.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think it makes a difference that it's a boy and not a girl. Unless I've missed some big news, there's no reason to think that Biden had a sexual interest in the kid.

And yeah, if Romney hugged and touched a 13yo boy like that in the process of giving the kid encouragement with a tough emotional situation, it also would not occur to me that there was something creepy about it.

If it was Elizabeth Warren doing something like that to a 13yo girl, would it be creepy?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

My experience is it's mostly man on boy.

It's just too touchy. Not necessarily awkward touching but too much grabbing and face touching. Just a red flag. Not that the actions were inappropriate. Like grabbing a leg instead of an ass. Not an announcement that I'm a deviant more like I'd be down if you were abused and available.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’d have an issue with *any stranger* kissing my kid on the top of the head, so therefore I thought that the kiss was over the line.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 pm
mister d wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:19 pm Or for fun say it’s the same stuff but Romney and a 13 year old girl or Graham and a 13 year old boy ... then decide if the action is weird.
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think it makes a difference that it's a boy and not a girl. Unless I've missed some big news, there's no reason to think that Biden had a sexual interest in the kid.

And yeah, if Romney hugged and touched a 13yo boy like that in the process of giving the kid encouragement with a tough emotional situation, it also would not occur to me that there was something creepy about it.

If it was Elizabeth Warren doing something like that to a 13yo girl, would it be creepy?
The words/pat on the back are encouraging and appropriate. The face touching and the head kiss are not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I can't agree with Kyle enough here.

Let's fight a culture war while America crumbles.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 pm

The words/pat on the back are encouraging and appropriate. The face touching and the head kiss are not.
Except it was encouraging and that kid just spoke at the DNC.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hope I never reach the level of cynicism displayed by so many of you in this thread. I’d hate to have watched this video and have the reaction y’all did. Damn.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In fact, if this was any other message board, I’d probably ask y’all to question what the fuck is wrong in your own head where that’s the first place you go after watching that video.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’m pretty sure I can think Joe was sincere and well meaning and that he was inappropriate. Got a big open mind over here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If it was your daughter and you thought it was inappropriate, then it was. This kids parents don’t feel that way and this kid goes from being bullied for his stutter to speaking at the DNC, but this board wants to focus on the “inappropriateness”. Didn’t even register to me or my wife when watching this and I’m glad it didn’t.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Never attacked the message, just the handsy old guy. If he keeps his hands off the kid, it’s a perfect spot.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

This is going to be good.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have to say I agree with Steve and Giff here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Aside from “Biden as 2020 Democratic candidate”, is there any instance at all where people here would be justifying unfamiliar authority figure treats 13 year old with physical affection as one would their own son? I’m struggling.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Look, I'm not saying there was anything intentionally done that should give you pause

BUT

if we're living in the day and age where people have to apologize for shit from years and years ago that was considered ok then but not now and constantly act as if everything going forward will be scrutinized as problematic, then maybe some folks feeling uncomfortable with a dude in his late 70s being a bit to touchy with a young kid shouldn't be immediately dismissed as overreacting or otherwise.

Ok?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Couldn’t have pegged me better.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:42 pm Aside from “Biden as 2020 Democratic candidate”, is there any instance at all where people here would be justifying unfamiliar authority figure treats 13 year old with physical affection as one would their own son? I’m struggling.
Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

Maybe you’re struggling because *you’re* thinking about it as “Biden as 2020 Democratic candidate”?

Others less fixated on that issue might look at it as “respected accomplished figure who overcame significant [handicap/disability/impediment/hurdle] provides emotional support and encouragement to kid dealing with same. And look how awesome that is.

He’s not grabbing the kid’s dick. He’s not kissing on the lips or forcing his tongue down his throat.

Biden. Is. Not. Sexually. Abusing. The. Kid.

But he is the Establishment.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

He's been known as touchy-feely and it one of the things that the meme makers have been hammering on. It could perfectly legitimate display of empathy from Biden, but you KNOW it's leading to another pack of memes. The most contact should have been a pat on the shoulder.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:58 am
mister d wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:42 pm Aside from “Biden as 2020 Democratic candidate”, is there any instance at all where people here would be justifying unfamiliar authority figure treats 13 year old with physical affection as one would their own son? I’m struggling.
Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

Maybe you’re struggling because *you’re* thinking about it as “Biden as 2020 Democratic candidate”?

Others less fixated on that issue might look at it as “respected accomplished figure who overcame significant [handicap/disability/impediment/hurdle] provides emotional support and encouragement to kid dealing with same. And look how awesome that is.

He’s not grabbing the kid’s dick. He’s not kissing on the lips or forcing his tongue down his throat.

Biden. Is. Not. Sexually. Abusing. The. Kid.

But he is the Establishment.
Nobody.said.he.was.sexually.abusing.anyone.
We.said.he.was.too.touchy.feely.
The.support.and.encouragement.are.great.

Did I do that right?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:24 pm JFC it didn’t even occur to me that it could even possibly be thought of as creepy. No, I wouldn’t have a problem if someone did that to my kid in that kind of setting.
The kid was introduced to Biden in such a way as to indicate that he (or his father) wanted him to give his son some advice and support.

I get the point in a general sense, but not in this specific case.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."