2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Seems like the Democratic Presidential Nomination is (finally) over as of last night.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Joe Biden vs Whoever the Republicans Nominate

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:24 am Seems like the Democratic Presidential Nomination is (finally) over as of last night.
I've got my money on the GOP nominating Kasich or Mitt Romney.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trump is a straight shooter who cares about people like me. He's got my vote.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:54 am Trump is a straight shooter who cares about people like me. He's got my vote.
With the way he's drained the swamp of Washington, how could you go any other way??
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:54 am Trump is a straight shooter who cares about people like me. He's got my vote.
And all of the problems we face, he is the only one who can solve them!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:38 pm
And all of the problems we face, he is the only one who can solve them!
You break it, you buy it!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like #44 gonna have some harsh criticism for #45 tonight.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy shit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Biden’s speech is pretty damn good.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 pm Biden’s speech is pretty damn good.
Not so sleepy now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I didn't see Biden's speech tonight...(but will catch it online sometime)...but from what I've seen this week, am I the only one who thought the speeches in general were much better being delivered without an audience? There were none of the applause breaks, or forced laugh line. Just seemed like a better way to do things.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:07 am I didn't see Biden's speech tonight...(but will catch it online sometime)...but from what I've seen this week, am I the only one who thought the speeches in general were much better being delivered without an audience? There were none of the applause breaks, or forced laugh line. Just seemed like a better way to do things.
You were not the only one - that was definitely a sentiment I have seen over the interwebs this week. Several commented that Biden's speech in particular was effective in this format.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

First off, Biden delivered last night.

To answer the above question... I think there are two things you accomplish with these speeches: 1) You create the narrative that is going to drive you to the finish line and 2) you energize your base by showing how enthusiastic they are with the candidate on stage.

Obviously, I'm framing that in a way to make a point. It's tough to truly get folks fired up in this format. But, with that said, I don't really think energizing the base is a problem this cycle. So, to your point, making sure everyone is reminded and it is reinforced just what the stakes are this time around. The narrative is pretty simple. Get this fuckstick out of the WH, stat.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 am First off, Biden delivered last night.

To answer the above question... I think there are two things you accomplish with these speeches: 1) You create the narrative that is going to drive you to the finish line and 2) you energize your base by showing how enthusiastic they are with the candidate on stage.

Obviously, I'm framing that in a way to make a point. It's tough to truly get folks fired up in this format. But, with that said, I don't really think energizing the base is a problem this cycle. So, to your point, making sure everyone is reminded and it is reinforced just what the stakes are this time around. The narrative is pretty simple. Get this fuckstick out of the WH, stat.
I think this format favors Biden far more than Trump. Trump's biggest attribute is getting his cult fired up. He loves the adulation, and even when he says batshit crazy things, the crowd will go nuts applauding him and it makes for more powerful TV. When he reads off a script, he seems like a doddering old fool who doesn't even understand the words he is reading. He needs the energy of the crowd to riff when he misreads and when they shout, he can switch gears and get a cheer. Biden is prone to making gaffes. On a tape, you can edit out stupid shit he says. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure his speech is a much better written script than whatever Trump will have, and Biden can come off well on video.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean, this would be a nice change:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This distills Steve's point he's made for months...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:28 am I mean, this would be a nice change:

Holy shit... That's powerful stuff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:28 am I mean, this would be a nice change:

Holy shit... That's powerful stuff.
It just got a little dusty in here.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy shit.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

jesus no doubt. .......

also it just fucking sucks that empathy and kindness and some sort of gd humanity has to be viewed as shocking.
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:05 pm It just got a little dusty in here.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

now someone please make a tv ad that shows this side by side with that fucking cuntwad at one of his KKK rallies making fun of the handicapped reporter 4 years ago. nothing else.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Lesser of two evils my big fat ass.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Damn Onions..

Sadly, Dickhead will probably make fun of the kid at some point next week.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Love this one

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That’s disrespectful. There’s some things even a stripper wouldn’t do for money.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Wow. Biden talking to that boy was some powerful stuff. I've heard that he does call random kids he meets to help them with their stuttering.

Trying not to be sarcastic and flippant here, but look at the way Joe is manhandling the kid. It proves he isn't being creepy with girls and young women, it's just how he tries to connect with people. Or he really is a pedo... [that last bit was sarcastic]
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:58 pm Wow. Biden talking to that boy was some powerful stuff. I've heard that he does call random kids he meets to help them with their stuttering.

Trying not to be sarcastic and flippant here, but look at the way Joe is manhandling the kid. It proves he isn't being creepy with girls and young women, it's just how he tries to connect with people. Or he really is a pedo... [that last bit was sarcastic]
It’s creepy as hell.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:58 pm Wow. Biden talking to that boy was some powerful stuff. I've heard that he does call random kids he meets to help them with their stuttering.

nah it's still creepy as fuck regardless of why
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’ll ask the parents in here, you’d be ok with a stranger rubbing his head against your kid, hugging them without consent, putting their hands on your kids’ face? Someone needs to tell him to stop that shit. I don’t question that his intentions are pure and good, but that looks horrible and is inappropriate.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am I’ll ask the parents in here, you’d be ok with a stranger rubbing his head against your kid, hugging them without consent, putting their hands on your kids’ face? Someone needs to tell him to stop that shit. I don’t question that his intentions are pure and good, but that looks horrible and is inappropriate.
There's a lot of stuff in that clip that contributes to the sum.

The parent obviously is bringing his kid to Biden for this moment (and it was arranged in advance, obviously, because regular people, much less a kid, don't get close to presidential candidates in media scrums by happenstance) - to try to inspire him and help him with his stutter. And you know Biden is going to be focused on the kid because it the stutter is so personal to him. So, this parent knows what he is signing his son up for - a quiet, intense, personal moment in the middle of a scrum that is going to be a photo op. Biden has to pull the kid close so he's not yelling at him just to be heard over the crowd around him.

In a "passing someone on the street" or spur of the moment interaction, this contact would be completely unacceptable. I think the terms of this meeting are different because of its design. Would it still be better if Biden got down on a knee to look him in the eye, shook his hand, and just securely held the kid's shoulder while talking to him to build and keep the personal connection? Yes. And that would be just as effective.

So, not the worst, but still could be handled in better terms and just as effectively.

(As a parent, I have more of a problem with the parent endorsing his kid to be used as a media prop.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

bfj wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am I’ll ask the parents in here, you’d be ok with a stranger rubbing his head against your kid, hugging them without consent, putting their hands on your kids’ face? Someone needs to tell him to stop that shit. I don’t question that his intentions are pure and good, but that looks horrible and is inappropriate.
God our society is so fucking stupid.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

What a helpful comment. Care to elaborate?
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

I'm not a parent, but I do see where bfj is coming from here. Absent any other context here, it looks like an incredibly caring guy showing truly admirable empathy. Still, if that's my kid I feel like I notice, at the very least, the amount of physical contact, and maybe get a hint of that deep down uneasy tingly feeling.

The problem here is that I just don't know how biased I am from that Biden montage video of him rubbin' a lot of young shoulders that came out during the primaries. That video definetly implied creepiness, but I'm also hesitant to heap too much judgement based soley on an edited video from the internet.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Someone want to take a run at defending the whole him sniffing people thing, or can we just go back to yes, its wrong and hes a creepy fuck, but he's better than what we have?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There might be a dozen people total I’m ok hugging my kids without permission. BFJ is clearly right here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is the 'no consent' thing verified, or are we just assuming that?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:29 am Is the 'no consent' thing verified, or are we just assuming that?
I’m assuming that dad didn’t explicitly state “here’s my kid, do as you wish”. I’m assuming Biden’s handlers didn’t let him know that Biden would be manhandling his kid as much as he did. Again, I don’t think Biden is a pedo, I think Biden thinks he’s everyone’s grandfather.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ewwwww... That's the type of thing you look out for to keep kids safe. Probably wouldn't say anything then but I'd probably warn my kid and practice verbalizing 1on1 avoidance strategies. Yeah I'd have to worry about molestation by a presidential candidate and he's the no brainier selection. We're fucked.