Jeeves builds his own PC.. or does he?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

elflaco2
Brandt

Jeeves builds his own PC.. or does he?

Post by elflaco2 »

Swamp! Throwing up the batsignal here..

helping the boy build his own PC.. after much discussion and haggling over parts, price and how much he planned to put in, as well as agreeing to learn all about it so my only input would be as an assistant (and a wallet)...
we ordered the parts..
parts came.
parts sat waiting til he got back from his grandparents..

we started the build on wednesday eve.. when i quickly learned that his idea of learning all about it was limited to a couple of you tube videos and now clue (well some) as to how to do this thing.

in between projects and work (prepping to go on PTO while 21budget planning) and redoing the master bathroom (only the wall base tiles remain to be installed).. i finally got to him again .. we put the board together.. he did the cabling friday and saturday... all lights up.. stays on.. but can't get the monitor to come on .. so we can't install the OS. doesnt work with either the connector into the motherboard or the gpu he installed.

before i find a local shop that will drive up the price of this adventure.. anyone have any experience putting these together or willing to be help desk? i've a newly cooked up batch of hot sauce (my indian neighbors thought it was too hot) and upcoming berry pepper jam to trade.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Jeeves builds his own PC.. or does he?

Post by govmentchedda »

My son, (14), just built a computer, with the help of a friend. Let me ask him.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He says he's got nothing. He mentioned something about do you have an HDMI cable for the graphics card, then he just kind of mumbled and walked away. Fucking teens, man.

In his defense, I think his friend did all the heavy lifting on building his compy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Make sure the graphics card is seated properly in the slot and it may have its own power source for the GPU. The system board instructions should explain which "port" it should plug into on the system board.

If you still have troubles then start removing parts and start seating everything back into place.

What processor did you get and what graphics card?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 pm Swamp! Throwing up the batsignal here..

helping the boy build his own PC.. after much discussion and haggling over parts, price and how much he planned to put in, as well as agreeing to learn all about it so my only input would be as an assistant (and a wallet)...
we ordered the parts..
parts came.

we started the build on wednesday eve.. when i quickly learned that his idea of learning all about it was limited to a couple of you tube videos and now clue (well some) as to how to do this thing.

in between projects and work (prepping to go on PTO while 21budget planning) and redoing the master bathroom (only the wall base tiles remain to be installed).. i finally got to him again .. we put the board together.. he did the cabling friday and saturday... all lights up.. stays on.. but can't get the monitor to come on .. so we can't install the OS. doesnt work with either the connector into the motherboard or the gpu he installed.

before i find a local shop that will drive up the price of this adventure.. anyone have any experience putting these together or willing to be help desk? i've a newly cooked up batch of hot sauce (my indian neighbors thought it was too hot) and upcoming berry pepper jam to trade.
I don’t know shit about computers but my wife is a hot food nut. How much for a bottle?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

duff wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:13 pm Make sure the graphics card is seated properly in the slot and it may have its own power source for the GPU. The system board instructions should explain which "port" it should plug into on the system board.

If you still have troubles then start removing parts and start seating everything back into place.

What processor did you get and what graphics card?

Gpu is wired to power
I reseated and rewired all
AMD ryzen 2600
XFX RX 5500 Xt This II pro
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:38 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 pm Swamp! Throwing up the batsignal here..

we ordered the parts..
parts came.

I don’t know shit about computers but my wife is a hot food nut. How much for a bottle?
Good question. No clue. $5?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Are all your parts compatible? Does your power supply have enough juice to run the card? Did you accidently screw something up with static (they always say wear a ground wrist band when doing these builds)? I only have done a build once and it was pretty straight forward (and between the build my pc website, one trip to Microcenter, and a single youtube video where we built with the guy..our only issues where when cables were not connected well enough).
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ya micro center is key, as are small hands to push everything into the MOBO...also don't forger the i/o shield cause we all do. As long as the parts fit into the mobo you cool.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 pm Ya micro center is key, as are small hands to push everything into the MOBO...also don't forger the i/o shield cause we all do. As long as the parts fit into the mobo you cool.
I can’t explain why, but I read this in my head with a Jamaican accent. It worked ok. No worries Juan.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

cerrano wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:50 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 pm Ya micro center is key, as are small hands to push everything into the MOBO...also don't forger the i/o shield cause we all do. As long as the parts fit into the mobo you cool.
I can’t explain why, but I read this in my head with a Jamaican accent. It worked ok. No worries Juan.
ya man.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

cerrano wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:50 pm
I'm so furious this happened.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

headed to micro center. yipee.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Fun Fact: my second HR job out of college was for Micro Center corporate in Columbus. I opened the stores on Long Island, Denver and KC. I haven't set foot in one since. I'm glad they're still open.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

I'd never been inside one until today.
wish we had gone that route -- might have cost more upfront (but we'll get there) - too bad only place in the state is up north, but nice day for a drive.
now we wait - up to 7 days for a diagnostic -- might just tell them to finish the build and install the OS.
fun times.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I love me some microcentre. Glad the one in Denver is like 45 minutes away or I'd spend way too much there.

For the future, it's often best to source all the parts from different places. Newegg, Microcentre, Tiger, etc. are all good sources for things. My last build I got parts from like 4-5 different sources. https://pcpartpicker.com/ is a really good place to "build" before you build.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Stupid ass question:

What is the advantage of building your own, versus finding a unit that covers the desired ground? Is it a lot cheaper?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:38 pm Stupid ass question:

What is the advantage of building your own, versus finding a unit that covers the desired ground? Is it a lot cheaper?
Yes. I built my machine for about 900 bucks. A similar build would cost 2000-2500 if built for you or even more if you ordered from a Dell/Asus or whatever. The other thing is that a self-build can be expanded/updated easily as long as you have space on the motherboard and an adequate power supply. The computer I built for 900 is about 8 years old. I've added additional RAM and updated storage and the graphics card and it still runs basically anything I throw at it that wouldn't be the case if I just bought a Dell for instance.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes. I built my machine for about 900 bucks. A similar build would cost 2000-2500 if built for you or even more if you ordered from a Dell/Asus or whatever. The other thing is that a self-build can be expanded/updated easily as long as you have space on the motherboard and an adequate power supply. The computer I built for 900 is about 8 years old. I've added additional RAM and updated storage and the graphics card and it still runs basically anything I throw at it that wouldn't be the case if I just bought a Dell for instance.
Got it, thanks
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm

I will add in building means a clean machine. No bloatware. Which is really BIG. part of the reason I like my phone that was not obtained via the phone company.

I think if you don't feel like building, you can basically buy a machine of this nature from Microcenter. A bit more than build your own, but still no bloatware and generally more bang for the buck than dell/hp/lenovo/etc.

Not sure I would go down that route for a laptop though.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

As someone who has built and bought, unless you are going for really high end components, the amount you save building it yourself vs buying usually ends up being somewhere in the vicinity of $150-200 for a $1500 rig. You get to pick the components, and if you get the right motherboard and power supply, you can just upgrade and expand the life of the computer 2-3 years. In the past the biggest gain was value, as in you'd save $100 or so but you'd get much better parts for a similar price. Now that midrange parts are so cheap, that is less true in my experience. If you haven't bought the parts, triple and quadruple check the parts work together. You evaporate any savings if the PSU isn't powerful enough for the video card you bought (usually this isn't a problem, but when it is...it's real bad)

as a blanket statement: don't look at Amazon for parts unless you are 1000% sure you are buying EXACTLY the part you need. Amazon has a tendency to combine parts into the same listing that look or seem very similar but are actually pretty different. They are also terrible about forcing companies to properly list specifications in a clear and concise way.

If I am behind, forgive me but for the troubleshooting, is there a separate VGA/DVI/HDMI port on the motherboard in the back of the PC? Getting SOMETHING up and running would be a good start to see if you can troubleshoot the video card from there.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yep. no display from motherboard hdmi either. microcenter has it now.. for $40 the will tell me what we messed up in 7-10 days.
and yes the parts are what we wanted. and did verify they were compatible
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

got a text last night from the tech at micro center.. our tower is next to be worked on.. got an apology for the delay. we'll see what they say.. .in the meantime, the 34" curved monitor i got from work arrived wednesday, so the boy has taken my old dual monitors and is waiting for his tower to return.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

forgot to update.. picked it up on the 15th..

case headers weren't plugged in correctly, ram sticks were backwards (?!)

added an external wi-fi adapter and a camera.. the boy has been doing school/homework on that htin for two weeks now.. and playing lots of games on weekends (when not playing soccer)

it was kind of fun.. but don't plan on repeating the experience of building my own.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:39 am forgot to update.. picked it up on the 15th..

case headers weren't plugged in correctly, ram sticks were backwards (?!)

added an external wi-fi adapter and a camera.. the boy has been doing school/homework on that htin for two weeks now.. and playing lots of games on weekends (when not playing soccer)

it was kind of fun.. but don't plan on repeating the experience of building my own.
you say that now, but the beauty is the next one is really just parts upgrades. Open the case plug a better thing in.