Tuesday Food Discussion

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Tuesday Food Discussion

Post by Ryan »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 am Not a fan of real blueberries. The "flavour" though is good.

Same with strawberries. I must have been a teenager when I tried real strawberries. So disappointed as the fake flavour is so much stronger and sweeter.
These would both go in the other column for me. "Blueberry" is maybe the fakest of the bunch, except for bananas. "Strawberry" tends to be pink water, which maybe isn't that far off from your average actual strawberry but still misses the mark for me dawg.

My low ratio might be grapefruit. I actually like the fruit but it wouldn't bother me to never eat one again and most grapefruit-flavored things are 10/10. Also considered pear and grape.

Raspberries and peaches are perfect on both ends (!) so I can't put those in either bucket.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am My low ratio might be grapefruit. I actually like the fruit but it wouldn't bother me to never eat one again and most grapefruit-flavored things are 10/10.
One of the things I really miss from not being in NE is the Polar Dry grapefruit (and orange.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Put me in the "hate bananas" camp.

Don't much care for banana flavor either unless it's banana bread.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I will always choose kiwi and pineapple over their flavored variants.

And mango seems to straddle the line evenly. Their flavored items taste great compared to an actual mango. (But I will engorge myself on fresh mango if there's a choice.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 am I will always choose kiwi and pineapple over their flavored variants.

And mango seems to straddle the line evenly. Their flavored items taste great compared to an actual mango. (But I will engorge myself on fresh mango if there's a choice.)
Pineapple is the opposite for me. Real pineapple I love, don't care for the artificial flavor.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Artificial watermelon anything is just pink and sweet. Easily the most ambiguous of all the fruity flavors.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fake fruit flavor is something I never liked, even as a kid. Aside from the occasional pink starburst, I think all fruit candy and shit like that was gross.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:48 pm Fake fruit flavor is something I never liked, even as a kid. Aside from the occasional pink starburst, I think all fruit candy and shit like that was gross.
That fruit gum stuff, awful. Just awful. Fruit Stripe. Blech.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Skittles are the ones that really get me. I can't understand at all why people love them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:48 pm Fake fruit flavor is something I never liked, even as a kid. Aside from the occasional pink starburst, I think all fruit candy and shit like that was gross.
Then you probably won't like this beer. I haven't had it yet, but my friend loves it. Fruited sour with vanilla, said it tastes exactly like Fruit Stripe gum.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(only time I've ever been happy that Spotify has those all as separate tracks)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm Skittles are the ones that really get me. I can't understand at all why people love them.
By far my favorite candy.

ETA - although the new(ish) green ones can suck it. Lime was way better than apple.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:13 pm
Then you probably won't like this beer. I haven't had it yet, but my friend loves it. Fruited sour with vanilla, said it tastes exactly like Fruit Stripe gum.

Does it lose its flavor after 5 minutes?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:12 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm Skittles are the ones that really get me. I can't understand at all why people love them.

ETA - although the new(ish) green ones can suck it. Lime was way better than apple.
Ha, I "argued" with my oldest yesterday about this. She told her sister green was green apple and I was like "fuck outta here, its lime" and she showed me the bag. Apparently they switched in 2013.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Ha, I "argued" with my oldest yesterday about this. She told her sister green was green apple and I was like "fuck outta here, its lime" and she showed me the bag. Apparently they switched in 2013.
Have you tried the Heat Skittles or what ever they are called? Not bad at all.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The year they ruined skittles.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Red/Strawberry skittles are my favorite flavor, but in one of their odd iterations (I don't think it was "heat", might be "dark"), the one that looks like a regular red/strawberry skittle is horrendous. Take the green apple out of the regular, and the red one in the dark, and you've got a real nice lineup of 8 skittles.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nerds
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:32 pmNerds
Too crunchy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Skittles were my favorite as a kid, and apparently I haven't had them in 7 years. Green apple, why? Now I need to try some.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Skittles and Starburst suck. Give me Nerds and Hot Tamales.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I don't like regular Skittles, but the Tropical ones (do they still make those?) are good.

Opposite on this. If you told me I could have either actual fruit or fruit-flavored candy for the rest of my life but not both, I'd pick actual fruit, but it would be close.

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 am I must have been a teenager when I tried real strawberries. So disappointed as the fake flavour is so much stronger and sweeter.
Like one out of five packs of strawberries is actually really good, but it's worth the gamble when they are.

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:20 am One of the things I really miss from not being in NE is the Polar Dry grapefruit (and orange.)
I recently heard Polar is going nation-wide.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The better a strawberry is, the shorter the shelf life. Yet they're mostly sold in those giant clamshells. Quite the conundrum when you only have a single mouth.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:04 pm Skittles and Starburst suck. Give me Nerds and Hot Tamales.
Not a Hot Tamales fan but I do love me some Mike and Ikes to drive us back to the "what candy fruit flavor is best" discussion

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:01 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:04 pm Skittles and Starburst suck. Give me Nerds and Hot Tamales.
Not a Hot Tamales fan but I do love me some Mike and Ikes to drive us back to the "what candy fruit flavor is best" discussion
I liked them as a kid, but find them gross as an adult.

Actually bought Polar Dry for the first time a couple months ago. Grapefruit was great, orange was good, tasted a lot like Orangina.
-Pruitt