Lou Brock

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Lou Brock

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Fuck. Rough week.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Lou Brock

Post by Pruitt »

Shame.

When I was a youngster, he was a legend.

Two bits of trivia: The Lou Brock trade from the Cubs to the Cardinals used to be cited as just about the worst trade in sports history. https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/ ... d-to-cards

He promoted the Brockabrella - Image
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

got the scrawny legs but I move just like...

rip, Lou
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

This one is depressing. My dad grew up a Cardinals fan, and passed that on to me. His favorite player was Bob Gibson, but loved Lou Brock too.

My dad worked in newspapers most of his career, starting as a sports reporter. Being in Indiana, he covered the Cardinals, Cubs, and Reds. He had a cool black and white picture from this time taken by the newspaper's photographer of him interviewing Brock before a game.

While in college in Florida, I would go to a couple of Cardinals spring training games each year and I'd see a couple of the old timers around. I got the idea to try to get my dad's picture autographed for him and give it "back" to him for Christmas.

So one year I've got seats down the third base line in Jupiter, right by the wall. Some of the players and former players are walking by, some signing autographs, some not. Brock wasn't one signing much. I had brought that picture with me that day, I held it out and called out "Mr. Brock" a few times. He actually looked over and did kind of a double take. He hesitated for a minute, walked over, and took a look at the picture. He asked about it and we talked about it and my dad for a couple minutes before he signed it and walked away with his trademark smile.

I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized what he was signing for me, or the look on my dad's face when I gave it to him.

This picture was the one thing of my dad's I wanted after he passed a few years ago, but somehow we couldn't find it in any of his office things that got boxed up for us or anywhere in the house.

Hopefully one day it will surface.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

phxgators wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm This one is depressing. My dad grew up a Cardinals fan, and passed that on to me. His favorite player was Bob Gibson, but loved Lou Brock too.

My dad worked in newspapers most of his career, starting as a sports reporter. Being in Indiana, he covered the Cardinals, Cubs, and Reds. He had a cool black and white picture from this time taken by the newspaper's photographer of him interviewing Brock before a game.

While in college in Florida, I would go to a couple of Cardinals spring training games each year and I'd see a couple of the old timers around. I got the idea to try to get my dad's picture autographed for him and give it "back" to him for Christmas.

So one year I've got seats down the third base line in Jupiter, right by the wall. Some of the players and former players are walking by, some signing autographs, some not. Brock wasn't one signing much. I had brought that picture with me that day, I held it out and called out "Mr. Brock" a few times. He actually looked over and did kind of a double take. He hesitated for a minute, walked over, and took a look at the picture. He asked about it and we talked about it and my dad for a couple minutes before he signed it and walked away with his trademark smile.

I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized what he was signing for me, or the look on my dad's face when I gave it to him.

This picture was the one thing of my dad's I wanted after he passed a few years ago, but somehow we couldn't find it in any of his office things that got boxed up for us or anywhere in the house.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I’m sure it meant a lot to your dad.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

phxgators wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm This one is depressing. My dad grew up a Cardinals fan, and passed that on to me. His favorite player was Bob Gibson, but loved Lou Brock too.

That’s a great story. Hopefully the photo reappears.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great story phxgators!

I think I've mentioned before that Bill White's daughter is a friend of mine. She has related to me how all the kids of the black Cardinal players from that era grew up together - The Brocks, the Gibsons, the Floods and the Whites. St. Louis was pretty segregated, then (at least informally), so they all lived near each other and hung out together. Anyway, my point is that she really loved Lou Brock and only had great things to say about him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:27 pm Great story phxgators!

I think I've mentioned before that Bill White's daughter is a friend of mine. She has related to me how all the kids of the black Cardinal players from that era grew up together - The Brocks, the Gibsons, the Floods and the Whites. St. Louis was pretty segregated, then (at least informally), so they all lived near each other and hung out together. Anyway, my point is that she really loved Lou Brock and only had great things to say about him.
Just curious, do you know where in St. Louis they all lived? It’s still a very segregated city as the north side is almost entirely black and the south side is almost entirely white. Brock lived in St. Charles at the time of his death but I’d guess that he may have lived within the city proper when he played.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:00 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:27 pm Great story phxgators!

Just curious, do you know where in St. Louis they all lived? It’s still a very segregated city as the north side is almost entirely black and the south side is almost entirely white. Brock lived in St. Charles at the time of his death but I’d guess that he may have lived within the city proper when he played.
This doesn’t answer your question, but this is what she posted on Facebook after Lou Brock died:
The Titans of baseball are falling. God must be disappointed that we could not get COVID under control so that he can watch America's pastime, so he decided to call his Hall of Famers home so that he could enjoy the game as it was meant to be played. The Brocks are my family. We have known them since it feels like forever. The last time we spoke, he informed me that when they were traded to St. Louis, they lived in our old house in a segregated part of town. Dad had decided to integrate the all white suburb of Des Pere. I guess he hadn't quite sold the house yet. The Brock, Gibson and Flood children spent lots of time together. Katie Brock was one of my mom's best baseball friends, along with Charlene Gibson, and Arlene Howard. The tales those ladies told of integrating white spaces.......Those ladies were fierce! Lou was a man of quiet strength, dignity and grace. Always with a smile. Our families "traded children" boys to St. Louis, girls in Bucks County. Hanging out with local transplant Terri Allen-daughter of Dick Allen, who finally got the long well deserved honor of a Phillies retired number. Hopefully soon, Hall of Famer.
Those were the days. We often ran across them at All Star Games and Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies. I last got a chance to see Lou at the Cincinnati All Star game right before his health issues began. I was on my way to see him at Fan fest, wandering through the downtown maze, when there he was walking toward me, on his way to lunch. " I'm going to see you at Fan Fest right now!!!! " Well, I ain't there! I have to eat first!"I had the good fortune to be able to spend the afternoon at lunch reminiscing about the old days. These men played in the Golden Age of baseball. They are heros to a generation of people. No big saleries, they played for the love of the game. And were able to reach out interact with their fans. Many often had to work in the off season in order to make ends meet. In the current climate, where people are telling athletes to shut up and play, I remember when these guys used their voices, fame and actions-when we were not shot for moving to Des Pere, Lou moved his family to LaDue and integrated that suburb- to move this country toward true equality. Rest in Peace Uncle Lou. Job well done
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hell yeah on Dick Allen to the HoF.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm sure the people of Ladue loved that.
Totally Kafkaesque